~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It shouldnt look bad, and i dont think you have to tell them unless you matriculated and took classes. If you withdrew before classes started then its fine. All you need to do is probably take the mcat over because it is only good for 3 years

I think there's a question that asks if you've ever been accepted to medical school. In that case, you'd have to answer yes.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I like to thank the friendly folks here who have been very helpful to me and my fellow applicants. Okay, I just entered my grades in AACOMAS. Here's what I got, 3.31 Non-Science, 3.46 Science, and 3.36 Overall. I took the MCAT and am waiting on the results. On my practice AAMCs, I was scoring between 27 and 30, but I felt horrible after the real one. So you can see that I am not sure what my MCAT score will be. I have significant volunteer experience, including some in a third world country. I have shadowed a DO and three MDs. I also have done a research fellowship in immunotoxicology. I held full time jobs throughout my undergrad and participated in many activities. There are some problems with my GPA too, and to a certain extent, I have tried to diminish those problems by repeating some courses.

Now the question is, how low can I go on the MCAT to be accepted at schools like LECOM-Erie and Bradenton, or KCOM, or KCUMB? I am very scared about the upcoming MCAT scores, so you can say that I am looking for a bit of sense of security.

This is a tough question to answer because the reality is you don't know unless you try. But that doesn't really help you much so I'll try to give you my opinion. Your GPA is fine and the rest of your activities look good. If you have strong letters of rec, you should do well. As far as an MCAT score goes, a 27+ would get you in somewhere (probably multiple somewheres). A 25 should get you a few interviews and a probable acceptance. I would say a 23 or 24 still gives you a shot if you apply early.

All of this is just my opinion. There have been applicants like you that have been admitted with an 18 and some that haven't with a 35. The stronger the rest of your application and interviewing skills, the more leeway you have on the MCAT. Good luck!

All of this is just my opinion. There have been applicants like you that have been admitted with an 18 and some that haven't with a 35. The stronger the rest of your application and interviewing skills, the more leeway you have on the MCAT. Good luck!

So are you saying that they don't place equal importance on MCAT score vs. GPA or the rest of your application? If the other parts of your application are above average, you have more leeway in one part?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, here's my stats.. applying broadly this year.. would like some input if someone is willing to give it! =)

Graduating May 09 w/ Bachelor's in Biology
Cum GPA: 3.52
Non-Science: 3.68
Science: 3.40

MCAT: June 13th

Deans List x5
Full scholarship to undergrad for academics

Lots of ECs..
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Health Professions Club
Biology Club
All for 2 years

Various Volunteering and a few longer term ones including:
Michigan Community Blood Center (volunteer @ blood drive)
Volunteered at a hospital for 3 months
Relay for Life the past 7 years. Team captain for 2 years.

Work experience:
Hospital laboratory for 2.5 years
Nursing Assistant for past year in local ER.. and still doing that

I think that's the majority of it... my top hopes are
MSU COM
DMU COM
CCOM

but i'm applying to many more... what do ya think?? I'm hopeful.:)

Okay, here's my stats.. applying broadly this year.. would like some input if someone is willing to give it! =)

Graduating May 09 w/ Bachelor's in Biology
Cum GPA: 3.52
Non-Science: 3.68
Science: 3.40

MCAT: June 13th

Deans List x5
Full scholarship to undergrad for academics

Lots of ECs..
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Health Professions Club
Biology Club
All for 2 years

Various Volunteering and a few longer term ones including:
Michigan Community Blood Center (volunteer @ blood drive)
Volunteered at a hospital for 3 months
Relay for Life the past 7 years. Team captain for 2 years.

Work experience:
Hospital laboratory for 2.5 years
Nursing Assistant for past year in local ER.. and still doing that

I think that's the majority of it... my top hopes are
MSU COM
DMU COM
CCOM

but i'm applying to many more... what do ya think?? I'm hopeful.:)

Have you taken any practice tests yet? Everything else looks pretty good, but knowing how your mCAT is going so far would also really help.

I am in almost same boat, 3.45 cum GPA with 3.1 science but need 1 year more to finish BS but as you, I dont want to wait:( Plus I dont have any money to waste on taking MCAT this year since it could be a waste, so do you plan on applying to schools with or without BS? Cause im still trying to figure what to do.

I'm going to wait. I had my personal statement ready, I had all of my LOR's ready. But I was not ready for the MCAT. So my plan is study for the MCAT throughout the summer...dedicate serious time towards it. I felt pretty bad in the past month....I wanted to apply the very day the applications opened....but it didn't happen this year.

Right now I'm staying away from sdn...I was getting really depressed by reading the posts and stuff....Right now...I'm refocusing....and getting my **** together.

You have a higher GPA then me ....I was also gonna retake some C's I got...to bring up my sci GPA.

I realized that by rushing this I'd be shooting myself in the foot. I thought about this everyday....

I called up two schools to inquire about the ba/bs issue....Unecom said that techincally if I had 75%/90 credits completed....If I was accepted but didn't have my degree at matriculation...they would accept me.

Kirsville said they would accept me w/o a degree if I had a 28 or above AND a 3.5 GPA...There were a couple of other schools that I saw that on their website.

I don't have a 3.5... so this was another factor that made me wait a year.

If anybody has a few mins take a look at post 147 and give me your opinions on which schools I should apply. Gracias!

If anybody has a few mins take a look at post 147 and give me your opinions on which schools I should apply. Gracias!

It is difficult to give advice without the mcat, but your gpa is fine and your practice scores are good. I would add lecom brandelton because it is instate. I would pick the last 2 or 3 on preference where you would like to study.

If you get a 31 you will be fine probably at any of them. Just focus on your mcat and go from there. I don't think your non-science gpa will hold you back, so don't stress over it. good luck!

Hey everyone, I might have posted this before, but I need some advice.

I am currently at junior at SUNY Stony Brook and am finishing up my Health Science degree. To make a long story short, I decided to pursure medicine.

I have a cum. GPA of 3.07, so far.

This is what I got:
Intro to calc: B-
Calc: C
Gen Chem 1: B-
Gen Chem 1 Lab: B+
Gen Chem 2: B
Gen Chem 2 Lab:in progress
Bio 1: C
Bio 1 Lab: C+
Bio 2 lec and lab: in progress
Orgo 1 and 2: Summer
Physics 1 and 2: Fall and Spring

I am currently doing some reasearch in the chemistry department. I was a gen chem tutor, and I am a aux. police officer (original I think) I do a lot of volunteer work, but not necessarily medically related. I know people hate the what are my chances threads, but what are my chances? What else should I be doing or need to do in order to be more competative?

I went to the NYCOM open house this past November and I absolutely love the school and its my number 1 choice. I live in Bayside, only about 15 minutes away and this is my number 1 school that I want to attend. Its close, its nice, I love it. What do I have to do to get in? lol

I think having volunteer experience is good but I would try get some medical related experience. Medical school like seeing that you spent some time in a health related setting. I would also study hard for the MCAT. When you finally get around to applying make sure you apply early!!!! I know someone who is a perfect candidate for medical school but applied late and didn't get a spot. Good luck!

i go to stony brook too. do you plan on doing better in your science classes? if you can then you need to try to ace this year and next year to have a nice upward trend.

i go to stony brook too. do you plan on doing better in your science classes? if you can then you need to try to ace this year and next year to have a nice upward trend.

I do plan on doing better and I am trying hard to do well in classes. I am doing pretty good so far this year, but I fell those Cs early in my college life is screwing me up!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd recommend applying to a master's program, either a traditional one or an SMP. it would help strengthen your science background and prove to schools you can do well, given that you do well in the program. check out the post-bac forums, there's lots of information there....

Hi people, I just became a new member to this site. I used to just search for answers to questions that I had regarding mcat scores and gpa's in hopes that I would find people in similar circumstances as me. Turns out, reading the posts have seemed very depressing because most people have much better gpa's and mcat scores than I do. Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if I stand a chance to receive an interview. My gpa is 3.2, and my mcat is a 23N: 7P, 8V, 8B.

My schools of choice are NOVA, PCOM, WVSOM, LECOM, and Touro. Of course, I'll go anywhere I get accepted.

First off, it depends what your home state is. Are you from philly? If not, it may be harder. LECOM will prob interview you and so would the other school. But hey, i'm not an adcom ... just a med student. Also apply to some of the newer schools. LECOM is opening another PA branch near Pittsburgh.

Hi people, I just became a new member to this site. I used to just search for answers to questions that I had regarding mcat scores and gpa's in hopes that I would find people in similar circumstances as me. Turns out, reading the posts have seemed very depressing because most people have much better gpa's and mcat scores than I do. Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if I stand a chance to receive an interview. My gpa is 3.2, and my mcat is a 23N: 7P, 8V, 8B.

My schools of choice are NOVA, PCOM, WVSOM, LECOM, and Touro. Of course, I'll go anywhere I get accepted.

I think Touro has a 24 as min on the MCAT. Sorry

retake the mcat that is your best bet, lecom minimum mcat is 21 or 22. It would help if you were a PA resident though

so which school out of all the DO schools is my best bet of getting accepted based on the gpa and mcat score that i have right now? I am a texas resident, btw.

probably TCOM. i would retake that mcat.

you pass the mcat cutoff for both lecom, wvsom, tcom is your state school. I would apply to those schools. I would look into schools like azcom, lmu, etc because they dont have a mcat cutoff. But remember just because you pass their cutoff, does not mean your in good shape. all it means is that you are not automatically rejected. Nycom, pcom are heavily instate friendly and your mcat will probably kill your chances at those schools

pretty much, if you are against taking the mcat over i would apply to every school that does not have a cut off. The three touro do have a cutoff of 24 so i wouldn't apply to them. It will be alot of money, but you in your situation it could be a good idea.

Are you competitive? No. Could you get in? Maybe.
Apply broadly and get ready to take the MCAT again if you don't get in.

I appreciate the advice from all of you. But how do I go about finding out which schools do not have the mcat cutoff? I've been to some of the DO school websites, but they usually just post an average mcat score. For instance, they'll say that the 2006/2007 entering class had an average mcat of 24 or 25. But does that mean the average, or the cutoff?

i would call the schools that you are interested in.

I appreciate the advice from all of you. But how do I go about finding out which schools do not have the mcat cutoff? I've been to some of the DO school websites, but they usually just post an average mcat score. For instance, they'll say that the 2006/2007 entering class had an average mcat of 24 or 25. But does that mean the average, or the cutoff?

if they say its the average......it probably means its the average. if a school has a cutoff youll likely find it under the "admission requirements" section.

for examples...ATSO-SOMA. under the requirements for admission, they mention that one must take the MCAT, but they dont mention a cutoff. im assuming if there was one this would be the perfect place to mention it (especially since they list their GPA cutoff right above it)

http://www.atsu.edu/soma/admissions/requirements.htm

Tuoro-CA, on the other hand, clearly states their minimum cut off at overall score of 23 (again this is right after the GPA minimum is listed)

http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=48&page=738

wow its weird that touro ca and ny have different cut offs, i would try to find out if touro ca changed it to a 24 this year. There is no way of knowing a cutoff for the class of 2013 yet because most website aren't updated.

That is why i would call them. i know for the class of 2012 lecom cutoff was 21, but i think they changed it to 22 (not sure) for class of 2013. Touro ny 24 cutoff was implemented for the class of 2012 is another example. I know dmu this year is going to start to require biochem for the class of 2013.

First off, it depends what your home state is. Are you from philly? If not, it may be harder. LECOM will prob interview you and so would the other school. But hey, i'm not an adcom ... just a med student. Also apply to some of the newer schools. LECOM is opening another PA branch near Pittsburgh.

Hey bpka2med,

Do you have any idea which pathway LECOM will offer in Greensburg? PBL, LDP or ISP?

Do you know if the students will do all of their rotations in the Excela (SP?) system and therefore stay in Greensburg?

I hope things are going well for you!

Honestly speaking, I think your stats are below borderline for DO schools. DO schools have become very competitive lately; I believe the most recent general averages are 3.5 GPA and a 27 MCAT.

If I were you, I would retake the MCATs and try to aim for a 28+.

o yeah, it seems that your science gpa is going to be very low. you need to take a lot more science classes to boost your sci gpa. you know health science courses do not count as science classes right?

Weird, I've heard on here a couple of times that the Touro cutoff is 24 but the websites say 23.

hi,

i'm a third year student and am getting my degree in december 09..i'm interested in applying for september 2009 and i don't know if i stand a chance for some do schools..i'm really interested in umdnj som, tuoro-com, and pcom

i took the mcats three times, with my highest score only being a 23, and my most recent score being a 22, but my gpa is 3.73 with a 3.56 in science..my ec's are not too amazing (300+ hours of volunteer, two semesters of biomedical research, internship at weill cornell medical center for 1.5 years, active participation in non-profit organizations, phi eta sigma honor society, merit scholar, biomedical society member) but i'm planning on shadowing a do and doing more volunteer work this summer before i even start my primary..i want to know if i stand a chance at any of these schools once i boost my resume this summer..

thanks a lot.

hi,

i'm a third year student and am getting my degree in december 09..i'm interested in applying for september 2009 and i don't know if i stand a chance for some do schools..i'm really interested in umdnj som, tuoro-com, and pcom

i took the mcats three times, with my highest score only being a 23, and my most recent score being a 22, but my gpa is 3.73 with a 3.56 in science..my ec's are not too amazing (300+ hours of volunteer, two semesters of biomedical research, internship at weill cornell medical center for 1.5 years, active participation in non-profit organizations, phi eta sigma honor society, merit scholar, biomedical society member) but i'm planning on shadowing a do and doing more volunteer work this summer before i even start my primary..i want to know if i stand a chance at any of these schools once i boost my resume this summer..

thanks a lot.

You cant apply for admission for fall 09 if you graduate dec 09. Touro-com cutoff is 24. Pcom and umdnj favor instate. Umdnj average mcat was like 29 this year (getting this from other sdn members though). Apply broadly, maybe try to find the reason why you struggle on the mcat. Hope this helps

I have a C- in PHysics 1 (got a B in Physics 2). I know some schools don't accept the prereq if it's not a "C" minimum. If I applied to those schools would I have a chance at an interview or would they simply screen me out b/c my prereqs aren't all atleast a 2.0? If you get a C- in a course and a higher grade in the sequel and they're both prereqs do they take that into consideration?

thanks a lot a817..

i meant to write that i graduate in dec 08..

hi,

thanks a lot.

LOL.. not such an amazing EC? That looks pretty impressive to me (definitely far better than mine).

Your GPA is good but your MCAT is a bit discerning. I would study hard and retake the MCATs again if I were in your shoes. Heck, if you pull a 28+, I think you have a chance at MD schools as well. You should also have no problems getting into any of the 3 DO schools that you have mentioned with that score.

Here are my stats:

Undergad GPA of 3.03...I was a chemical engineer and decidied to switch to pre med during my senior year... last 5 quarters were >3.5.

My SMP gpa is a 3.9 so far, going to finish it and get a masters of biomedical science.

MCAT = 35 (13p/12b/10v/R)

EC's are pretty run of the mill... volunteer, President of a outreach club, Medical Mission to South america, teaching assistant, etc...

I am planning on applying to AZCOM LECOM, PCOM, and NYCOM?

Any advice? Thanks a bunch!

Here are my stats:

Undergad GPA of 3.03...I was a chemical engineer and decidied to switch to pre med during my senior year... last 5 quarters were >3.5.

My SMP gpa is a 3.9 so far, going to finish it and get a masters of biomedical science.

MCAT = 35 (13p/12b/10v/R)

EC's are pretty run of the mill... volunteer, President of a outreach club, Medical Mission to South america, teaching assistant, etc...

I am planning on applying to AZCOM LECOM, PCOM, and NYCOM?

Any advice? Thanks a bunch!

if you science gpa is around your overall gpa, you have a great shot. I would add umdnj, dmu, ccom, also. For nycom and pcom apply early if you are not a ny or pa resident. that was the advice the pcom director of admission told me.

thanks so much docinprogress..definitely gave me a some hope..but what do you think about me taking the mcat for the 4th time? i don't know why i keep scoring so low but i guess i have to figure that out..i just don't know if i should i go ahead and apply with my current scores or take it for the fourth time....

if you science gpa is around your overall gpa, you have a great shot. I would add umdnj, dmu, ccom, also. For nycom and pcom apply early if you are not a ny or pa resident. that was the advice the pcom director of admission told me.

My SMP has been like 20 science classes.... so the 3.9 is representative of that.

My situation is a little different. I'm not asking what my chances are as much as I'm asking what I need to do in regards to the MCAT.

I'm a non-traditional who just took all her sciences in the past two years. My science GPA is a 3.95, but my overall GPA from when I graduated college eight years ago is only a 3.25. I have roughly 450 hours of clinical experience, many community service projects, and a former career.

Now my question is, my MCAT is scheduled for June 13th, but my practice scores are only in the mid 20s. I'm hoping to bring it up to the 30s by June, but if I don't, I want to plan. Given my stats, should I postpone the MCAT or would getting my application in late be the kiss of death?

Revilla: don't postpone the MCAT. I think that in your case, early application will do you more good than a couple points on the MCAT. Get everything complete ASAP.

My SMP has been like 20 science classes.... so the 3.9 is representative of that.

with a 3.9 science gpa and a 35 mcat, you should have multiple acceptances and are competitive at any osteo school.

Revilla: don't postpone the MCAT. I think that in your case, early application will do you more good than a couple points on the MCAT. Get everything complete ASAP.

Okay, thanks!

I'm considering osteopathic med, and if I do try I'd hope for somewhere in the NY area like NYCOM or TouroCOM.

I'm a junior double chemical engineering and applied math major.

My current GPA is officially a 3.29 and the science GPA is close to that, maybe slightly higher. I'm pretty sure when I recieve my grades from this semester they'll boost me up to at least close to a 3.4 overall.

I have one C- in calculus 1 from my freshman year when I was a complete idiot and didn't know how to study. I retook it for a B+, and if you disregard that one C- my overall GPA is actually a 3.36 right now. Do med schools ignore the poor grade if the class was retaken?

I don't have too many ECs as I've overloaded on credits this entire year. I've been working two jobs; an engineering internship (computer modeling of refinery equipment) and a reception type job on weekends.

I'm an officer in my school's chapter of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, and although not belonging to an official organization I volunteer at random events on campus including freshman orientation and informational-type events to give prospective students information about the majors I'm enrolled in.

Based on this, do I have a decent shot at getting into a DO program? This upcoming summer I'm willing to put the time and effort into studying the MCATs. The only premed class I haven't taken for my majors is biology, which I am going to take this upcoming year. Do I have a shot at making it into a DO program this upcoming year, assuming I take the MCAT and do reasonably well around the end of the summer/beginning of september? What sort of MCAT score would I need, and what else should I do?

I know that job shadowing of a DO is highly recommended, but am I too late to be able to get something like that for the upcoming application year?

Thanks for the advice everyone; its definitely appreciated.

My first degree was a BA in Economics. I completed all the premed classes with poor grades and an overall GPA ~2.7 over ~170 credits. I have since completed a 2nd degree this time a BS in Biomedical Sciences and my GPA is ~3.9 over ~70 credits for that. Here are my stats:
AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.78
MCAT: 33M

I only have a handleful of volunteer hours, no research experience, or medically related work experience. I do have some leadership roles in past clubs but that was 4-8 years ago. I have a rec. from a MD but not a DO.

Do you guys think my MCAT and science GPA make up for my lacking extra curriculars? I am applying to both MD and DO programs, but think the MD programs might be a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for any comments, and good luck to everyone!

My first degree was a BA in Economics. I completed all the premed classes with poor grades and an overall GPA ~2.7 over ~170 credits. I have since completed a 2nd degree this time a BS in Biomedical Sciences and my GPA is ~3.9 over ~70 credits for that. Here are my stats:
AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.78
MCAT: 33M

I only have a handleful of volunteer hours, no research experience, or medically related work experience. I do have some leadership roles in past clubs but that was 4-8 years ago. I have a rec. from a MD but not a DO.

Do you guys think my MCAT and science GPA make up for my lacking extra curriculars? I am applying to both MD and DO programs, but think the MD programs might be a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for any comments, and good luck to everyone!

your high science GPA and MCAT are great...but the fact that you have very little medically related experience in general (doesnt necesasrily have to be research) will likely pose a problem for some schools. i'd try to get at least a little more. someone else can comment with a more definitive answer....this is just based on what ive gatherd from talking on here

I'm considering osteopathic med, and if I do try I'd hope for somewhere in the NY area like NYCOM or TouroCOM.

I'm a junior double chemical engineering and applied math major.

My current GPA is officially a 3.29 and the science GPA is close to that, maybe slightly higher. I'm pretty sure when I recieve my grades from this semester they'll boost me up to at least close to a 3.4 overall.

I have one C- in calculus 1 from my freshman year when I was a complete idiot and didn't know how to study. I retook it for a B+, and if you disregard that one C- my overall GPA is actually a 3.36 right now. Do med schools ignore the poor grade if the class was retaken?

I don't have too many ECs as I've overloaded on credits this entire year. I've been working two jobs; an engineering internship (computer modeling of refinery equipment) and a reception type job on weekends.

I'm an officer in my school's chapter of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, and although not belonging to an official organization I volunteer at random events on campus including freshman orientation and informational-type events to give prospective students information about the majors I'm enrolled in.

Based on this, do I have a decent shot at getting into a DO program? This upcoming summer I'm willing to put the time and effort into studying the MCATs. The only premed class I haven't taken for my majors is biology, which I am going to take this upcoming year. Do I have a shot at making it into a DO program this upcoming year, assuming I take the MCAT and do reasonably well around the end of the summer/beginning of september? What sort of MCAT score would I need, and what else should I do?

I know that job shadowing of a DO is highly recommended, but am I too late to be able to get something like that for the upcoming application year?

Thanks for the advice everyone; its definitely appreciated.

if you have retaken a course, AACOMAS will will only count the 2nd grade. i dont think thats the way it works for AMCAS though.

EDIT: i've heard that for retaken courses: 1) AACOMAS will take your highest grade and 2) AACOMAS will take your 2nd grade, regardless if it was higher or not. in your case it doesnt matter b/c the 2nd grade was higher than the first....but yea just thought i'd mention that

Hello all,

I am getting ready to apply in June with the following stats but I think I am lacking enough EC (such as research)..What do you guys think?

MCAT: 10B 9V 9PS Writing:p

Non-science GPA - 3.61
Science GPA - 3.15
Overall - 3.42

BA in Television and Film

The past 1.5-2 years I have taken quite a few upper division bio courses to improve my GPA (Physiology, Histology, Embryology, Endocrinology, Biochem)

I have shadowed both DO and MD physicians in the ER and have LORs from both.

About 100 hours of hospital volunteer work.

Two LORs from professors.

I am really aiming at getting into Western, Touro-CA/NV, or either AZ school.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!:)

Im currently lacking organic II with the lab which I plan to take in the fall will the DO schools look at me or do I need to take this course in the summer? I was planning to retake chem I and II to bring my science GPA up. Or should I do organic

Im currently lacking organic II with the lab which I plan to take in the fall will the DO schools look at me or do I need to take this course in the summer? I was planning to retake chem I and II to bring my science GPA up. Or should I do organic

Need more info to answer. What is your gpa and what will retaking do to it? People get accepted all the time without having orgo finished. But, depending on your stats, it might be best to prove you can do it.