2008 August PCAT Countdown & Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores should be coming in the next 7 to 14 days.

I'm feeling super duper nervous about my August PCAT results. :(

If you took the 2008 August PCAT, please feel free to share your thoughts.

Also, If you just received your score, please post your results here.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually looking more forward to seeing my scores than I am nervous. PharmCAS sent out my application today, and I finished my supplementals, so all I am waiting for are my scores. I thought the test was challenging but I'm confident that I did good. If not, then I'll sign for the October or January test. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll know for sure!

I hope I do okay. I'm also more excited than nervous to see my scores, because I'm already guaranteed into a top 20 pharmacy school. Hopefully my scores will be high enough to rake in some scholarship money (I doubt it).

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmCAS just calculated my GPA today, mailing out by next Monday. Almost done with my supplementals, will be finished by the weekend. It would be PERFECT if the scores arrive by Friday so they get mailed out at the same time. That way everything arrives my schools at the same time!

:scared: I'm just nervous all the way around. I have no idea what to expect on my scores. I've just been out of school for several years, but I did a lot of studying, I just wonder if it was enough. I already plan on retaking in October, have already paid for it. At least if I got my scores I would know if I have a prayer left in me. My gpa isn't the best, but after i took my break and went back for my last year of school its been good. I got an A this summer in Calc I after not taking a math class since 1998, so that is a confidence booster. I know I am weak in Orgo, and the math kicked my but, so if those are my two lowest scores I will be pleased. I start Organic on Thursday, so just being in class will help boost my confidence in that area and start bringing it all back to me.

Haha at first glance, I thought your screenname was illiterate1. I guess I'm the illiterate1.

I hope I do okay. I'm also more excited than nervous to see my scores, because I'm already guaranteed into a top 20 pharmacy school. Hopefully my scores will be high enough to rake in some scholarship money (I doubt it).

Just out of curiosity how are you guaranteed into a program?

i have flash backs about wasting time in the math and chem sections like a freaking *****.....is there a way like if you have some sort of disability that you could get extra time cause i have no doubt i could have gotten nearly every question right.......i know i know im being a baby, and i know that there are tons of ppl that finish each section without a problem but damnit im not one lol

i have flash backs about wasting time in the math and chem sections like a freaking *****.....is there a way like if you have some sort of disability that you could get extra time cause i have no doubt i could have gotten nearly every question right.......i know i know im being a baby, and i know that there are tons of ppl that finish each section without a problem but damnit im not one lol

I hope youre joking.

I ran out of time as well. So I retook it and hauled ass and finished with 5 minutes to spare the second time. Try harder.

Haha at first glance, I thought your screenname was illiterate1. I guess I'm the illiterate1.
:laugh: ty for noticing. i've had this nic for 5 years now, and ive been referred to as treat or lil, but not illiterate. thanks for the smiles while i've been so nervous!

guess the countdown is officially on. I'm thinking this weekend, so I guess we will all know soon enough!

I read that the norm for this PCAT is from test takers in 2007...not the older 1998 norm.

Anyway, can't wait to get that letter!

:scared: I'm just nervous all the way around. I have no idea what to expect on my scores. I've just been out of school for several years, but I did a lot of studying, I just wonder if it was enough. I already plan on retaking in October, have already paid for it. At least if I got my scores I would know if I have a prayer left in me. My gpa isn't the best, but after i took my break and went back for my last year of school its been good. I got an A this summer in Calc I after not taking a math class since 1998, so that is a confidence booster. I know I am weak in Orgo, and the math kicked my but, so if those are my two lowest scores I will be pleased. I start Organic on Thursday, so just being in class will help boost my confidence in that area and start bringing it all back to me.

I'm in a similar situation. It has been awhile since I took my science pre-reqs (4 years or more). So this past Spring, I returned to my old University and retook Calculus and Organic Chemistry. I studied a lot too and I hope all the hard work I put in would pay off on the PCAT. But if I don't get a desirable then rest assure I will be at it again for OCT PCAT.

illtreaturite17, good luck on that ochem class.

Searching through the threads, some say PharmCAS will receive our PCAT scores a couple of days before we get it in our mail boxes. Maybe this might be an indicator that our scores are coming real soon.

I'm really tempted to call Pearson and find out the exact day they plan to mail out our scores from San Antonio, Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation. It has been awhile since I took my science pre-reqs (4 years or more). So this past Spring, I returned to my old University and retook Calculus and Organic Chemistry. I studied a lot too and I hope all the hard work I put in would pay off on the PCAT. But if I don't get a desirable then rest assure I will be at it again for OCT PCAT.

illtreaturite17, good luck on that ochem class.

Searching through the threads, some say PharmCAS will receive our PCAT scores a couple of days before we get it in our mail boxes. Maybe this might be an indicator that our scores are coming real soon.

I'm really tempted to call Pearson and find out the exact day they plan to mail out our scores from San Antonio, Texas.

I tried emailing, they just referred me to the PCAT info book, which says we will receive our scores within 6 weeks of the test date....

I read that the norm for this PCAT is from test takers in 2007...not the older 1998 norm.

Anyway, can't wait to get that letter!

Correct - the normal group changed. Don't remember the exact months, but the group is 1st time test takers from 2003-2007

Here's to hoping we receive our scores beginning today or tomorrow through this weekend. If not, then scores will begin arriving towards the end of next week.

My score has been graded - I checked on the pcat site last week and it hadn't. To see if your scores have been graded, log in to the pcat site and then go to transcript request. It will show all tests scored and a pending scores section.

I was the 1st to receive my scores here for the June test and it should be noted that while some people have said that PharmCAS was, in the past, showing to have received their scores, my scores have never showed up with PharmCAS before I received my scores.

I live 3 hours away from San Antonio, TX so I should receive my scores the day after they mail them.

I hope I receive scores today or tomorrow - this will eliminate the waiting game. :luck:

Yes! You are right they are scored! Good luck everyone!:luck:

SCORED TESTS PLEASE READ THIS:
The test dates listed in this section reflect past test dates which have been scored and processed.

Transcript fees are non-refundable. Transcript Order for the test dates listed below will be processed within approximately one week.

8/23/2008

Yes! You are right they are scored! Good luck everyone!:luck:

SCORED TESTS PLEASE READ THIS:
The test dates listed in this section reflect past test dates which have been scored and processed.

Transcript fees are non-refundable. Transcript Order for the test dates listed below will be processed within approximately one week.

8/23/2008

I saw that too....man, this waiting game is killing me. This is my first time taking the PCAT:scared:.

I just got my pcat scores today and it really gave me a heart ache( composite 64!!!!!!!!!)

This was my third attempt...i don't know how to explain my situation but i will try to and i would appreciate it soo much if anyone can give me their perspective. Two of my subsections (verbal and reading) hv a score in the 30's range...i really thought i did good in reading :(.

I will be graduating with a bio degree in may. I have pharmacy experience and volunteering experiences and has been a research assistant for 2 years. My gpa is 3.2. I am really feeling down....just dont know what to do now. I wanted to apply to all schools in texas this year, but now i think i will have to apply to schools that dont require pcat scores.

Where are you from? I live in Central Texas and I didn't receive my scores today. I kinda thought I might. I guess I'll get mine tomorrow.

Don't give up hope. You could apply to newer schools through PharmCAS. The schools which don't take PCAT scores have high GPA averages and 3.2 may not be good enough. It could, but IMHO, I don't think it would be.

My scores in the past have been very similar to yours and thus, I have shifted my focus from Texas to elsewhere. Hopefully my scores will be high enough to apply within the state.

I just got my pcat scores today and it really gave me a heart ache( composite 64!!!!!!!!!)

This was my third attempt...i don't know how to explain my situation but i will try to and i would appreciate it soo much if anyone can give me their perspective. Two of my subsections (verbal and reading) hv a score in the 30's range...i really thought i did good in reading :(.

I will be graduating with a bio degree in may. I have pharmacy experience and volunteering experiences and has been a research assistant for 2 years. My gpa is 3.2. I am really feeling down....just dont know what to do now. I wanted to apply to all schools in texas this year, but now i think i will have to apply to schools that dont require pcat scores.

Oh man, your post almost gave me a heart attack! I live in Oregon, so i guess i might get my score this weekend or early next week. Finger crossed...:oops:

When u get ur score, say what state ur from...so people in the region know approximately when to hound down their mailman ;)

I live in Houston TX, and got my scores in the mail today!!!
This was my first time taking the PCAT and I got a 85% composite... I'm done with this PCAT madness.
Good luck to you all

i live in oklahoma..so im guessing tom or sat??!!

omg im about to have a heart attack

I m frm texas (houston). Does anyone know if incarnate world will accept stats similar to mine?

I hope nobody else will hv to go through what i am goin' thru now..i know its not the end of the world...but i really dont want to wait another year for pharmacy school..i wanted this soo bad..:(

Being a newer school, they probably will.

Aw crap man. It feels like I just took the PCAT yesterday, and the scores are already out...

Can people post their subscores as well? It'll help everyone, and quite frankly, people are gonna ask you for them anyway.

woos I guess scores will be here (Cali) by sat. please don't forget to post your essay scores as well. Good luck, I will be waiting for the mailman tomorrow =)

I live in Houston TX, and got my scores in the mail today!!!
This was my first time taking the PCAT and I got a 85% composite... I'm done with this PCAT madness.
Good luck to you all

Please post your subscores- I'm SOOO nervous!!!

I signed up for the October test and I really really hope I got a score good enough that I don't have to retake the PCAT. Getting really nervous and anxious that my score is going to be horrid and I haven't really studied enough to feel confident I will do well on the October PCAT. Not to mention I just started school and lots of difficult time consuming classes. I just feel like if I have to retake I probably won't get a better score.

I did really bad on the PCAT when I took it in June 2007. I graduated with a B.S. in Human Biology and took the year off to retake a bunch of classes to raise my GPA and prepare for the PCAT.

I retook the following classes at a community college:

1 year of General Biology (Grade: A/B)
1 semester of General Chem (2nd semester - A)
Human Physiology (A)
Human Anatomy (A)
Microbiology (A)
Personal Communications (A)
Calculus (A)
Pharmacology (@ a UC - B)

My GPA for these classes was 3.9.

My predictions for the PCAT are:
Biology - 90's
Verbal - 60's
Reading - 70's
Quantitative - high 80's
Chemistry - 50's

Wish me luck!

Congrats on the high GPA! If you don't mind me asking why are you predicting 50's and 80's on your PCAT if you did so well in your pre-req classes (not to mention you have your Bachelor's)? :confused:

I guess it's because English is my second language (even though I learned it at 9 yrs old) and I never performed well on verbals (SAT's).

My chemistry is weak because I passed my classes by studying old tests and didn't really learn much.

My strongest subject is Math and all those Biology classes this past year has boosted my confidence in Biology. I barely studied as an Undergrad :( so I had a lot of paybacks to do.

i can't believe the day we get our PCAT score has finally arrived. SO NERVOUS!

All I can say is Good Luck everyone! :thumbup:

I live in San Antonio, TX and just got my scores...

Verbal - 97
Biology - 98
Reading - 95
Quant - 98
Chemistry - 96

Composite - 99

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting!!

I live in San Antonio, TX and just got my scores...

Verbal - 97
Biology - 98
Reading - 95
Quant - 98
Chemistry - 96

Composite - 99

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting!!

I'm from CA (San Jose) and I got my scores today.

Wallabrynth, can u give me some tips on how you prepared for the PCAT? Your scores are to kill for!

I'm from CA (San Jose) and I got my scores today.

Wallabrynth, can u give me some tips on how you prepared for the PCAT? Your scores are to kill for!

I started studying about 4 weeks before the test, probably for 3-4 hours most days. I used Kaplan, Cliff's 5 tests, and the Harcourt practice tests. The last week I just did practice tests over and over. I also used REA's PCAT flashcards to quiz myself whenever I had a few minutes here and there.

I mostly focused on the info pertaining to humans in Kaplan's bio section, there was just too much otherwise and I felt I would never remember it all anyway. There were some on the PCAT about plants and the like that I didn't know, but being pretty solid on all the human stuff got me enough points I guess.

Hope that helps, good luck!

ok oklahoma is def closer to TX than CA. laaamme. i don't think i can handle this anymore. aaaaahh:eek:

I started studying about 4 weeks before the test, probably for 3-4 hours most days. I used Kaplan, Cliff's 5 tests, and the Harcourt practice tests. The last week I just did practice tests over and over. I also used REA's PCAT flashcards to quiz myself whenever I had a few minutes here and there.

I mostly focused on the info pertaining to humans in Kaplan's bio section, there was just too much otherwise and I felt I would never remember it all anyway. There were some on the PCAT about plants and the like that I didn't know, but being pretty solid on all the human stuff got me enough points I guess.

Congrats on getting a 99 composite. That's a score to die for.

You're absolutely right on stressing the importance of practice exams
I done the same practice exams in (ARCO,Cliffs,Kaplan,Harcourt/Pearson,Barons, MAT, & MCAT review books)

I also used Kaplan's flashcards and quizzed myself frequently.

On my way back from class, I was surprised how many mailmen or women there were when you actually start looking out for them.

wallabyrinth, would you say the REA's PCAT flashcards were significantly helpful, were there numerous questions on it that came out from PCAT? Do you think it's sufficient as a practice test w/o taking anyother harcourt test? I just wanted to know if i can rely solely on this book for practicing...

wallabyrinth, would you say the REA's PCAT flashcards were significantly helpful, were there numerous questions on it that came out from PCAT? Do you think it's sufficient as a practice test w/o taking anyother harcourt test? I just wanted to know if i can rely solely on this book for practicing...

I think the flashcards were helpful, but only as a quick way to quiz yourself and see how well you know the info. I definitely wouldn't rely on them alone because they don't give a full review. The Kaplan book and the Harcourt practice tests were definitely the most valuable to me.

I m frm texas (houston). Does anyone know if incarnate world will accept stats similar to mine?

I hope nobody else will hv to go through what i am goin' thru now..i know its not the end of the world...but i really dont want to wait another year for pharmacy school..i wanted this soo bad..:(

Sorry for your setback. But if you want it so much, pick up where you left off and know you have two more tries in October and January (if the schools you're interested in accept Jan PCAT).

Start reviewing key stuff in the PCAT book like Neuroscience, endocrine, muscle contractions, respiration, genetics, digestion and excretion. We all may agree that the PCAT does not test as much on plants; not enough to cause you to worry if you are strong on the others. A bit of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria and some bacteria and virus; autotroph, chemoautotroph and heterotroph are all important to know. Don't waste your time studying stuff that seems to simple like what are mitochondria or photosynthesis.

In math, focus on log, basic probabilities and stats, a bit of definite integrals, a bit of trigonometry (recognize trigonometric graphs), composite functions and word problems. You won't find simple derivative questions, but you'll use it to solve definite integral type problems.

In Chemistry, don't focus on lots of calculations for your preparation as there are practically very few. Instead, focus on conceptual problems. Again, interpreting graphs, knowing obviously some basic chemistry like stoichiometry, chemical kinetics and equilibrium, solutions, acids and bases and particularly SN1, SN2 and anti Markovnikov's rule and Markovnikov's rule and obviously name organic compounds and the functional groups.

Reading, vocabulary and writing, well you can't prepare for these within the span of a few months. These are accrued knowledge and thus it would be beneficial if you read and wrote a fair amount over the years. Having said that, start doing research about controversial topics not only in healthcare but social problems as well; this will benefit your essays. Read critically first and then attempt the questions. There is probably more mastery of the topic by the time you tackle the questions.

Again take courage!

I live in Cincinnati, OH and no scores for me today. Maybe tomorrow. Too bad I'll be at class when the mail comes. Guess I'll just have to stop by here and check the mail on my way to work. :smuggrin: I think the hospital will understand!