2008 Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nosugrefneb

(benferguson)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pritzker

100% matched (95/95).

By specialty:

28 Internal Med
14 Surgery-Total
5 Surgery-General
1 Surgery-Plastics
4 Surgery-Ortho
2 Surgery-Prelim
2 Surgery-Neuro
8 Peds
7 EM
6 Family Med
5 Anesthesiology
5 Ob-Gyn
4 Path
4 Transitional
3 Med-Peds
3 Rad-Diag
3 Neuro
2 Psych
2 Urology
2 PM&R
1 Med-Psych
1 Rad-Onc
1 ENT

By school (top 10):

19 UChicago
8 Northwestern
6 Harvard
5 Columbia
4 UCSF
4 UWashington
4 UCSD
3 Stanford
3 Penn
3 Wisconsin

Details:

ANESTHESIOLOGY
UChicago (2)
UCSD
Columbia
UWashington

EM
UChicago
Denver
Indiana
UCSD
Northwestern
USC
San Antonio AFB

FAMILY MED
UCSF
MacNeal
UIC
Wisconsin
Iowa
Ventura Cnty

MEDICINE (Internal/Primary/Prelim)
UChicago (10; 1 PSTP)
Northwestern (3)
Stanford (2)
Columbia (2)
Georgetown (2)
Einstein/Montefiore (2)
Harvard
UCSF
UWashington
Penn
Yale
WashU
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
OHSU
San Antonio AFB
Kaiser Permanente
Dallas Presbyterian

MED-PEDS
UChicago
UCSD
Michigan

MED-PSYCH
UC Davis

NEUROLOGY
Columbia
UCSF
UAB

OB/GYN
Harvard
Columbia
Wisconsin
George Washington
Morehouse

ENT
OHSU

PATH
UChicago (2)
Harvard
UIC

PEDS
UChicago
Harvard (2)
Penn
Hopkins
Northwestern
Christ
TN-Chattanooga

PM&R
Northwestern/RIC
UWashington

PSYCH
Hopkins
Baylor

RAD-ONC
Harvard

RAD-DIAGNOSTIC
UChicago
Northwestern
Wisconsin

SURGERY - GENERAL
Case Western
Brown
OHSU
UNC
St. Joseph's

SURGERY - ORTHO
UChicago
UCSF
Penn (research track)
Yale

SURGERY-NEURO
Pitt
Northwestern

SURGERY - PLASTICS
UWashington

SURGERY - PRELIM
UChicago (2)

TRANSITIONAL
Resurrection
St. Joseph
Kern
Scripps Mercy

UROLOGY
Stanford
UCSD

Members don't see this ad.

No dermatology or ophthalmology? Looks like Pritzker isn't the school for me... :rolleyes:

Wow, I'm really impressed by the new Pritzker matchlist! Thanks for posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, nowadays I'm starting to think of a lack of derm matches as a plus.

Pritzker always has such shiny match lists, thanks for posting it! I heard though that you can't simply evaluate them based on name recognition, that the best programs aren't necessarily at schools that I associate with being on top (though who knows, I may care more about location when the time comes anyway). Does anyone know of somewhere that gives a general idea of where are the most sought-after spots in each field?

Dartmouth

Surprisingly, the most popular was OBGYN. Overall, many went w/location > big name

Anesthesia
Harvard – BWH (UConn prelim)
Harvard – BI (Rochester prelim)
Emory (Harvard - BWH prelim)
Dartmouth
UTSW
Tufts

Consulting
Mckinsey

Dermatology
Wisconsin (Dartmouth prelim)
UMass (UMass prelim)

EM
Yale
Maine
Regions (St. Paul)

ENT
Dartmouth

FM
Tufts
Maine

General Surgery
Cornell
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai
Rochester
Army – Madigan (Tacoma)
VCU

Medicine
Harvard – BI
Wash U
Washington
Stanford
OHSU
OHSU
UNC
Tufts

Neurology
Harvard – BI (BI prelim)
Harvard – BI (BI prelim)

Neurology – Child
Colorado (UMN Peds)

Neurosurgery
Penn State

OBGYN
Harvard – BWH
Harvard – BWH
Penn
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
UVA
Colorado
Colorado
UConn

Ophthalmology
Wash U

Ortho
Dartmouth

Pathology
Harvard - MGH
Stanford

Pediatrics
UCSF
Cincinnati
Utah
CHOC
Army – Tripler (Honolulu)
UNM

Psychiatry
Harvard - Longwood

Radiology
Stanford (Mayo-AZ prelim)
Stanford (Dartmouth prelim)
Cornell (NYU prelim)
Tufts (Jefferson prelim)

Vascular Surgery
UNC

Dartmouth-Brown

EM
Brown
UMass

Med/Peds
Duke

Ophto
Hopkins

Path
Brown

Peds
Brown

Plastics
UCDavis

Pritzker

100% matched (95/95).

By school (top 10):

19 UChicago
8 Northwestern
6 Harvard
5 Columbia
4 UCSF
4 UWashington
4 UCSD
3 Stanford
3 Penn
3 Wisconsin

That is simply phenomenal!

No dermatology or ophthalmology? Looks like Pritzker isn't the school for me... :rolleyes:

Unless you are real hot stuff (eg: >40 MCAT, 3.9 gpa), I wouldn't really judge a top school by lack of interest in its students to go into derm/ophtho.

The schools are phenomenal, but the specialty they got are pretty average. Most of the class matched into internal medicine.

The schools are phenomenal, but the specialty they got are pretty average.

You all have to bear in mind that the same schools that are tops for med school or undergrad may not be for given specialties. Each has its own hierarchy. Hence you cannot really read a match list because you simply don't know what programs are good versus middling. As you get closer to selecting a specialty, your mentors will let you know which places are good versus malignant. As an undergrad looking at a list, you are just randomly guessing. It is likely that some of the places not bolded by the prior poster actually have the better programs in some of the fields the students selected.

Unless you are real hot stuff (eg: >40 MCAT, 3.9 gpa), I wouldn't really judge a top school by lack of interest in its students to go into derm/ophtho.

And I even threw on the "sarcastic smiley" to make it painfully obvious to overzealous birdbrains such as yourself... what a lost cause SDN has become.

P.S. I'm hot stuff, just not real hot stuff. Does my opinion still matter?

And I even threw on the "sarcastic smiley" to make it painfully obvious to overzealous birdbrains such as yourself... what a lost cause SDN has become.

P.S. I'm hot stuff, just not real hot stuff. Does my opinion still matter?

My bad. Sarcasm often gets lost in the internet.

Does anyone know of somewhere that gives a general idea of where are the most sought-after spots in each field?

It doesn't necessarily correlate with strong residency programs, but the US News hospital rankings will give you a basic idea of how well-reputed certain fields are at a given institution.

Most of the class matched into internal medicine.

Yeah, it was a big IM year for Pritzker apparently. Not quite sure why. IM is always the best represented in our match, but moreso this year.

It doesn't necessarily correlate with strong residency programs, but the US News hospital rankings will give you a basic idea of how well-reputed certain fields are at a given institution.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in those rankings -- nobody really uses US News to pick residency programs and the data it is based on is just too sketchy. This is a word of mouth business. When you get to later years of med school, you will snag a mentor in a field you are interested in. Your mentor will know the players, know which programs are good versus malignant. Some of the biggest name schools have some of the less desirable programs in certain fields so don't assume that just because it's a brand name place (at the med school level) it's good in everything.

Yale 2008

96/96 matched (100%)

Specialty:
15 Internal

9 Psychiatry
7 Anesthesiology
6 Orthopedic Surgery
6 Emergency
6 Surgery
6 Ob/Gyn
6 Pediatrics
4 Ophthalmology
4 Dermatology
4 Radiology
4 Neurology
3 Neurosurgery
3 Radiation Oncology
3 Family
2 ENT
2 Urology
2 Med/Ped
2 Pathology
1 Plastic Surgery
1 Post-doc

Schools (most popular), not including PGY1 matches:
17 Harvard (16 MGH/Brigham)
15 Yale
10 UCSF
6 Columbia
5 Hopkins
4 Penn
4 NYU

Members don't see this ad :)
IM gets the highest percentage from most schools, but think about it this way: Internal Medicine leads to Cardiology, Endocrinology, Nephrology, Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology, etc... specialties. It's not necessarily an end in itself.

Also, the quality of the program you are looking at depends on what your goals are. The same Orth Residency may look different to a med student that wants to be one of the top surgeons at a well-known academic hospital vice one that wants to become proficient and do lots of surgery. The former wants a good research institution while the latter would prefer somewhere they get more patients... Also, residency location tends to influence where people go afterward (contacts formed during training, etc...) so some people take that into acct when choosing where they want to match.

why is this in the pre-medical forum? I really would encourage people not to pick their medical school based on the match lists. The lists are very variable depending on the current "hot" fields that year and match lists are very difficult to interpret if you aren't an M3 or M4. Also, most pre-meds have no clue which residency programs are the best in the field and most non-medical people don't really know which are the most desirable and difficult spots to land.

There are a lot more factors that go into picking a residency and what type of career you want to pursue than what shows up on a match list. For example, Harvard medical school does not match every one of its students into derm, ortho, ENT, plastics, urology, etc, nor is Harvard the best residency for every field.

Although it's interesting to see the match lists, I would strongly advise against using these lists to try to find which med schools are better than others.

(p.s. U.S. News & World report is the WORST place to rank med schools/residencies. You will have more statistically significant answers asking a hobo sleeping in a gutter)

why is this in the pre-medical forum?

Well, where would you have put it? I'm trying to be helpful and informative here. I don't think most current medical students or residents really care about match lists at other schools.

(p.s. U.S. News & World report is the WORST place to rank med schools/residencies. You will have more statistically significant answers asking a hobo sleeping in a gutter)

At no point did I say you should use US News to rank programs or determine which programs are best. I said they "will give you a basic idea of how well-reputed certain fields are at a given institution." Nothing more.

I think I misread the original question I was responding to, though. Check out Charting Outcomes In The Match to get a better idea of specific numbers within each field (applicants vs. spots, etc.).

Pritzker

100% matched (95/95).

By specialty:

28 Internal Med
14 Surgery-Total
5 Surgery-General
1 Surgery-Plastics
4 Surgery-Ortho
2 Surgery-Prelim
2 Surgery-Neuro
8 Peds
7 EM
6 Family Med
5 Anesthesiology
5 Ob-Gyn
4 Path
4 Transitional
3 Med-Peds
3 Rad-Diag
3 Neuro
2 Psych
2 Urology
2 PM&R
1 Med-Psych
1 Rad-Onc
1 ENT

By school (top 10):

19 UChicago
8 Northwestern
6 Harvard
5 Columbia
4 UCSF
4 UWashington
4 UCSD
3 Stanford
3 Penn
3 Wisconsin

Details:

ANESTHESIOLOGY
UChicago (2)
UCSD
Columbia
UWashington

EM
UChicago
Denver
Indiana
UCSD
Northwestern
USC
San Antonio AFB

FAMILY MED
UCSF
MacNeal
UIC
Wisconsin
Iowa
Ventura Cnty

MEDICINE (Internal/Primary/Prelim)
UChicago (10; 1 PSTP)
Northwestern (3)
Stanford (2)
Columbia (2)
Georgetown (2)
Einstein/Montefiore (2)
Harvard
UCSF
UWashington
Penn
Yale
WashU
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
OHSU
San Antonio AFB
Kaiser Permanente
Dallas Presbyterian

MED-PEDS
UChicago
UCSD
Michigan

MED-PSYCH
UC Davis

NEUROLOGY
Columbia
UCSF
UAB

OB/GYN
Harvard
Columbia
Wisconsin
George Washington
Morehouse

ENT
OHSU

PATH
UChicago (2)
Harvard
UIC

PEDS
UChicago
Harvard (2)
Penn
Hopkins
Northwestern
Christ
TN-Chattanooga

PEDS-NEURO
UT-Houston

PM&R
Northwestern/RIC
UWashington

PSYCH
Hopkins
Baylor

RAD-ONC
Harvard

RAD-DIAGNOSTIC
UChicago
Northwestern
Wisconsin

SURGERY - GENERAL
Case Western
Brown
OHSU
UNC
St. Joseph's

SURGERY - ORTHO
UChicago
UCSF
Penn (research track)
Yale

SURGERY-NEURO
Pitt
Northwestern

SURGERY - PLASTICS
UWashington

SURGERY - PRELIM
UChicago (2)

TRANSITIONAL
Resurrection
St. Joseph
Kern
Scripps Mercy

UROLOGY
Stanford
UCSD

no derm?:eek: wtf!? there goes to paying astronomical tuition for "brand name" educaiton

Haha, nowadays I'm starting to think of a lack of derm matches as a plus.

Pritzker always has such shiny match lists, thanks for posting it! I heard though that you can't simply evaluate them based on name recognition, that the best programs aren't necessarily at schools that I associate with being on top (though who knows, I may care more about location when the time comes anyway). Does anyone know of somewhere that gives a general idea of where are the most sought-after spots in each field?
:eek: Why?

I said they "will give you a basic idea of how well-reputed certain fields are at a given institution." Nothing more.

I think most people further down the road would disagree with even the above statement though. I second the sleeping hobo comment.

I don't see anything wrong with putting this thread in pre-allo, per se. I just think folks should avoid this kind of raw data in their own decision making processes. This kind of stuff is interesting but not enlightening. That nobody at Chicago is doing derm doesn't tell you whether anyone wanted derm and didn't get it, or if it simply was of no interest. So does that mean if you think you want derm then Chicago is not the med school for you? Probably not.
And counting the number of brand name schools (as a prior poster seemed to be doing) is silly when some of those schools may not even be particularly good in certain fields.

And counting the number of brand name schools (as a prior poster seemed to be doing) is silly when some of those schools may not even be particularly good in certain fields.

This begs 2 questions:

1) What is the best way for a pre-med o evaluate med schools? What criteria matter the most?

2) Same thing for residencies...

This begs 2 questions:

1) What is the best way for a pre-med o evaluate med schools? What criteria matter the most?

#2 is easy. You cannot. you aren't in a position as a premed to evaluate residencies because it requires access to a mentor in your desired specialty to give you the word of mouth about various programs. And as a premed you are likely to change your mind about specialties at least once along the way, so really no point considering that now. Not to mention that programs and specialties fall into and out of favor over the course of 4 years. waste of time to consider that in the application cycle. Late in 3rd year is when you start to worry about this.

As for #1, there is actually a good active thread in pre-allo discussing this right now. Look at things like location, curriculum, cost, grading systems, availability of research opportunities. Things that actually are going to matter to you over the next 4 years. If you do well, any allo school will be a decent launch pad for where you want to end up next.

#2 is easy. You cannot. you aren't in a position as a premed to evaluate residencies because it requires access to a mentor in your desired specialty to give you the word of mouth about various programs. And as a premed you are likely to change your mind about specialties at least once along the way, so really no point considering that now. Not to mention that programs and specialties fall into and out of favor over the course of 4 years. waste of time to consider that in the application cycle. Late in 3rd year is when you start to worry about this.

As for #1, there is actually a good active thread in pre-allo discussing this right now. Look at things like location, curriculum, cost, grading systems, availability of research opportunities. Things that actually are going to matter to you over the next 4 years. If you do well, any allo school will be a decent launch pad for where you want to end up next.

Thanks for your answer, but i think you read too much into my residency question (probably due to my poor wording) - I am not in the least concerned about that now - just asking for future reference, asking for the perspective of an MS3 and up...

Thanks for your answer, but i think you read too much into my residency question (probably due to my poor wording) - I am not in the least concerned about that now - just asking for future reference, asking for the perspective of an MS3 and up...

Yeah, I think I covered that earlier in the thread. Once you get deeper into med school and more certain about a specialty you will find yourself a mentor and you will talk to him about residencies. This is very much a word of mouth business, and folks in the field will know best what places are good vs malignant, where the current mecca of the specialty is, who is doing the exciting research etc. There is no list, and every specialty has a very different hierarchy of what places are good and what aren't (and it's frequently not even close to what you'd expect). If you are asking about what you'll find important in choosing a residency, top on the list is going to be that good vs malignant thing -- you don't want to go work someplace where everybody is treated poorly. After that, things like location and family tend to loom largest. By 4 years later you may have spouse or family obligations and not be as mobile as you tend to be coming right out of college. And then certainly programs where you'll get to actually do the kind of stuff you hope to do. If you plan to go into a certain kind of surgery you wouldn't want to go to a program which rarely does it, or if you want to go into trauma you wouldn't want to go to a suburban residency that doesn't even accept those cases. But you'll learn all the stuff you need to know from word of mouth when you get to that stage, not now.

Rough List for Weill Cornell

Medicine:
UCSF
Mass Gen x 2
Duke
Hopkins
UPenn x 4
Cornell x 5
Columbia x 2
Stanford
Utah
Emory
NYU x 3
Yale

Surgery:
Cornell x 3
UPenn
UIllinois

Family Medicine:
Beth Israel
Duluth (MN)
Swedish Med Center (Seattle)

Peds:
Hopkins
Einstein/Montefiore
Children’s Hosp of Penn x 2
UCSF
Columbia
NYU
Stony Brook

Rad Onc:
Brigham
Memorial Sloan Kettering
UWisconsin

Optho:
UMiami (Bascom Palmer)
UCSF
Hopkins
UMDNJ
Cornell

Derm:
NYU
St. Luke’s Roosevelt
Dartmouth

Plastics:
NYU
Rochester

Ortho:
Harvard
Rush
New Mexico
Westchester

Urology:
Duke

Anes:
Stanford
Cornell x 3
Einstein/Montefiore
Mt. Sinai
Upenn

Neurology:
Mass Gen
BI Deaconess
Cornell

Rads:
UPenn
Dartmouth
UWash

Psych:
NYU
Harvard
Mass Gen
Cornell x 3
Mt. Sinai

Emergency:
NYU
Cornell

OMF Surgery:
Cornell

Path: Hopkins

Match List for Hopkins - 2008

Anesthesiology (7)
Massachusetts General Hosp (2)
Johns Hopkins Hosp (3)
Beth Israel Deaconess Med Center
Johns Hopkins/Mercy Medical Center

Dermatology (3)
Massachusetts General Hosp
University Hospitals Case Medical Center
University of Texas SW

Emergency Medicine (7)
Hosp. of the University of Pennsylvania (2)
University Hospital Cincinnati
Drexel University
UCLA
University of Maryland Med Center
NYU

Family Medicine (4)
Loyola University Med Center
NYP Hosp – Columbia University Med Center
Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa (2)

Internal Medicine (23)
Massachusetts General Hosp (3)
Johns Hopkins Hosp (5)
Johns Hopkins – Bayview (5)
Portsmouth Naval Med Center
University of Chicago (2)
Walter Reed Army Med Center
University of Washington Affil Hosps
UCSF (2)
Vanderbilt University Med Center
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
NYP Hosp – Columbia University Medical Center

Internal Medicine – Pediatrics (1)
University of Oklahoma – OK City

Neurology (1)

Neurosurgery (4)
Johns Hopkins Hosp
UCLA
University of Minnesota- Minneapolis
Vanderbilt

OB/GYN (2)
University of Maryland
Oregon Health & Sciences University

Ophthalmology (8)
Wills Eye Hospital
Johns Hopkins – Wilmer Eye Center (2)
Massachusetts Eye & Ear
University of Pittsburgh
USC (2)
UCLA

Orthopedic Surgery (2)
Hospital for Special Surgery
University of Iowa Hosps and Clinics

Otolaryngology (2)
UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hosp

Pathology (1)
Brigham & Women's Hosp

Pediatrics (9)
Johns Hopkins Hosp (4)
Children's National Medical Center
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Portsmouth Naval Medical Center
NYP Hosp – Columbia University Med Center
UCSF

Pediatrics/Psych Combined (1)
Johns Hopkins Hosp

Plastic Surgery (5)
Medical College of Wisconsin Affil Hosps
Loma Linda University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
Hosp of University of Pennsylvania

Psychiatry (5)
Johns Hopkins Hosp (2)
UCSD
UCLA Semel Inst for Neuroscience
University of Hawaii

Radiation Oncology (5)
Johns Hopkins Hosp
UCSF
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
NYU
University of Chicago

Radiology (4)
Brigham & Women's Hosp
University of Washington Affil Hosp
NYU
Duke University Med Center

Surgery (3)
Johns Hopkins Hosp (2)
National Naval Medical Center - Bethesda

Urology (2)
Northwestern
UCSF

Anesthesiology - 10
Dermatology - 1
Emergency Medicine - 9
Family Practice - 20
Internal Medicine - 31
Medicine - Pediatrics - 7
Medicine - Preliminary - 10
Neurological Surgery - 2
Obstetrics and Gynecology - 15
Ophthalmology - 1
Orthopaedic Surgery - 3
Orthopaedic Surgery Research - 1
Otolaryngology - 2
Pathology - 3
Pediatrics - 18
Pediatrics Prelim - 1
PM&R - 3
Plastic Surgery - 3
Psychiatry - 5
Radiation Oncology - 2
Radiology - 3
Surgery - General - 11
Surgery -Preliminary - 9
Transitional Year - 1
Urology - 3

I guess I'm just biased against derm because you hear so many people wanting to set up a botox farm and live the good life. It's not that derms don't do good works though, especially for people with actual skin conditions, so it's not that I disagree on an individual level to people going derm (for example, I know someone who had a life affecting skin condition, and she wants to help others with similar problems). I just worry over the general tread of so many of the highest achieving people going into the specialty when they might be doing a lot better for society in other places. So even though the lack of derm matches probably reflects people not being *accepted* into derm, I choose to be optimistic/naive and interpret it as a rejection of materialism/aestheticism in favor of a greater social awareness.

PS I am really fond of and appreciate my own dermatologist, despite how many botox etc ads she's got in the waiting room. It's not that I don't think that no one with enormous smarts should want to go into derm, just that the specialty isn't worth the brain sink that it's increasingly becoming.

Orthopedic Surgery (4)
George Washington University x 2
UCSF
Barnes-Jewish

ENT (3)
Barnes-Jewish
University of Pennsylvania
USF

Pediatrics (18)
St. Louis Children’s x 8
Children’s National
UCSF x 2
Duke
Kaiser Permanente
Children’s Hospital of Boston x 2
Cincinnati Children’s
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Wright Patterson

Pathology (4)
UCSF
University of Pennsylvania x 2
Mass General

Dermatology (7)
Barnes-Jewish x 2
USF
University of Texas
Indiana University
UCSD

Urology (4)
UT Southwestern
NYU
Johns Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic

Anesthesiology (5)
UCLA
Barnes-Jewish x 2
University of Colorado
Emory

Psychiatry (2)
Harvard Longwood

Ophthalmology (4)
Washington University
Oregon Health and Science x 2
SLU

Internal Medicine (23)
Barnes-Jewish x 5
Brigham and Women’s
Stanford
University of Colorado
UNC
UCSF
NYU x 2
UCSD x 2
UCLA
University of Washington
Johns Hopkins
Scripps Mercy
Mass General
Brigham and Women’s
University of Chicago

General Surgery (8)
INOVA Fairfax Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital x 3
Ohio State University
Robert Wood Johnson
UCSD
UT Southwestern

Neurology (5)
University of Kentucky
Mass General
Barnes-Jewish x 2

Diagnostic Radiology (12)
University of Washington
Johns Hopkins
Barnes-Jewish x 3
Henry Ford Health Science Center
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Northwestern
Indiana University
Cornell

Radiation Oncology (3)
NIH
Georgetown
Rush University

Ob/Gyn (1)
University of Pittsburgh

Emergency Medicine (4)
University of Pittsburgh
Brigham and Women’s
Cornell
UCSF

Plastic Surgery (1)
Barnes-Jewish

Neurosurgery (2)
Barnes-Jewish
NYU

(I just went through and made this list myself, so forgive any errors...)

This begs 2 questions:

#1 -- it's really not the stuff you do the first 2 years that even matters and that's the stuff they push on you during interviews/tours. dig around and find out what THIRD year is like. thats the year thats most important. residencies could care less if you PBLed it through the first 2 years or had some other varied curriculum. seriously... do not pick a school because it has PBL. use other criteria. i have heard too many stories from weill students (moreso than from NW students interestingly) that PBL wastes their time and takes away from focused board prep. go to a school that thoroughly covers the meat and potatoes of the first two years without any bells or whistles, and you will be prepped for boards. don't be that student that aces the first 2 years and then flails on boards...

#2 residencies are very much specific to the field. for instance, EM. if you go by the traditional thought, you'd think oh, harvard, stanford, etc. are the best. wrong! its places like U of Cincinnati, Carolinas, etc. As a pre-med did I know about those places? No way! But once you get into your third/fourth year of med school, you start absorbing this info.

bottom line, unless your school is top, say 12, ranking is not going to make a difference. the name value of the school will help you out -- but won't replace hard work and good evals -- if you are in the top 10. you may get interviews you wouldn't necessarily get for residency if you were at a lower school with similar stats. BUT do not go to a school where you have to pay exorbitant amounts of money just b/c it is a private school thats ranked in the top 40, over your state school.

as a florida resident, it would be difficult to pass up on mt sinai. the difference in tuition is about 16k per year. my concern is that staying in-state would make it hard for me to land a residency up north, or anywhere out of the south. isn't region/locality of the med school somewhat signifcant for residency?

I meant pass up on mt sinai for UF. sorry

regionality is important, but your grades/scores are more important. and also the department of your school that you want to do residency in is important. for instance, at least 2 fields where florida is better than mt sinai: UF has a great surgery department. letters from UF faculty would probably go a long way. same for radiation oncology--University of Florida is VERY well known in this field. letters from florida faculty would let you match anywhere, provided research/grades/scores are in check.

i would go to your state school... mt sinai isn't going to make that much more of a difference. you can still match in NY at the very least. california would be hard, but california is hard for ANY region except the west.

Many programs seem to show a preference for their own students, but beyond that being local isn't much of an issue. Programs may need to be convinced that you would actually rank them highly if you are not from the area -- interviews are expensive for everyone.

For example if you are originally from CA and go to an East Coast school, you may want to note in your application that returning to CA is a priority for you.

They have their match list written up with student names, so I've edited it to exclude those so I apologize if I messed up a count somewhere in the process

Anesthesiology

Baylor
UT-Houston x 8
UVA
U Colorado
UT-Southwestern x 3
UT-San Antonio
Yale
Cleveland Clinic
Texas A&M
Mayo AZ

Dermatology

Med Coll Georgia
UTMB
UT Houston
OHSU
Columbia-NYP

Emergency Medicine

Vanderbilt
Rochester
Texas A&M
UT Houston x 2
Wake Forest
U Chicago
UTMB
Christus Spohn

Family Medicine

Christus San Antonio
Christus Spohn
Memorial Hermann x 3
Baylor

Internal Medicine

Keesler
Barnes-Jewish
UT-Southwestern x 5
UT-Houston x 6
U Louisville
Texas A&M x 2
Methodist x 2
William Beaumont Army
Cedars-Sinai LA
U Chicago
Baylor
Mayo
Rush

Medicine-Pediatrics

U Alabama x 3
UT Houston
Jackson Memorial
U Michigan

Neurosurgery

UT Houston

Neurology

NYU
GW
U Washington

Neurology – Child

Baylor
UT- Houston x 2
NYP- Columbia

OB/Gyn

Texas Tech
Buffalo
Texas Tech- El Paso
UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
Jersey Shore
SUNY Brooklyn
Methodist-Dallas
Hopkins
Baylor x 2
Texas Tech-Amarillo

Ophthalmology

Emory
UT Houston
SUNY Stony Brook

Orthopedic Surgery

U Utah
U Columbia MO
UT Houston x 2
UTMB x 3
Georgetown
UT Southwestern
Jackson Memorial

Otolaryngology

Indiana Univ
Duke

Pathology

Mt Sinai
UT Houston
Methodist-Houston x 2
Beth Israel
U Maryland

Pediatrics

Eastern VA
UT Southwestern
UT Houston x 2
U South Florida
UCLA
U Alabama
U Chicago
Brooke Army
U New Mexico
Childrens Natl
UT San Antonio
Baylor

Psychiatry

Baylor x 3
Stanford
UTMB
UT Houston x 2
U Colorado
Austin Med

Rad Oncology

U Colorado

Rad Diagnostic

Wake Forest
UT Houston x 4
U New Mexico
VCU
UT San Antonio
Duke
UPMC
UT Southwestern
Barnes Jewish x 2
U Alabama

Surgery-Plastics

Hershey Med
U Washington

Surgery General

MUSC
LSU- Shreveport
Baylor
UT San Antonio
Methodist- Houston x 2
Methodist- Dallas
Texas Tech- El Paso
Pitt County
UTMB
Brookdale
Texas A&M
UT Houston

Surgery- Oral Maxillofacial

UT Houston x 3

Urology

U Conn
U Chicago
UT Houston

UIC Chicago's Match List, 2008

UNIV OF CHICAGO MED CTR-IL ANESTHESIOLOGY
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/NMH/VA-IL ANESTHESIOLOGY
UC SAN FRANCISCO-CA ANESTHESIOLOGY
UNIVERSITY HOSPS-COLUMBIA-MO ANESTHESIOLOGY
U MINNESOTA MED SCHOOL ANESTHESIOLOGY
CLEVELAND CLINIC FDN-OH ANESTHESIOLOGY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO ANESTHESIOLOGY
NYP HOSP-WEILL CORNELL MED CTR-NY ANESTHESIOLOGY
JACKSON MEMORIAL HOSP-FL ANESTHESIOLOGY
CLEVELAND CLINIC FDN-OH ANESTHESIOLOGY
MASSACHUSETTS GEN HOSP ANESTHESIOLOGY
ST VINCENTS HOSPITAL-NY ANESTHESIOLOGY

U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO DERMATOLOGY

ADVOCATE CHRIST MED CTR-IL EMERGENCY MEDICINE
SUNY HSC BROOKLYN-NY EMERGENCY MEDICINE
COOK COUNTY-STROGER HOSPITAL-IL EMERGENCY MEDICINE
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO EMERGENCY MEDICINE
THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIV-PA EMERGENCY MEDICINE
BETH ISRAEL MED CTR-NY EMERGENCY MEDICINE
STANFORD UNIV PROGS-CA EMERGENCY MEDICINE
SYNERGY MED ED ALLIANCE-MI EMERGENCY MEDICINE
GRAND RAPIDS MED ED-MI EMERGENCY MEDICINE
COOK COUNTY-STROGER HOSPITAL-IL EMERGENCY MEDICINE
DENVER HEALTH MED CTR-CO EMERGENCY MEDICINE
BOSTON UNIV MED CTR-MA EMERGENCY MEDICINE

MACNEAL MEM HOSP-IL FAMILY MEDICINE
IMAGE FP/HILLCREST MED CTR-OK FAMILY MEDICINE
OREGON HEALTH & SCIENCE UNIV FAMILY MEDICINE
MAYO SCHOOL OF GRAD MED EDUC-MN FAMILY MEDICINE
ST JOSEPH HOSP-IL FAMILY MEDICINE
MED COLL WISCONSIN AFFIL HOSPS FAMILY MEDICINE
JACKSON MEMORIAL HOSP-FL FAMILY MEDICINE
MERCY MED CTR-REDDING-CA FAMILY MEDICINE
UC DAVIS MED CTR-CA FAMILY MEDICINE
SCRIPPS MERCY HOSP-CHULA VISTA-CA FAMILY MEDICINE
ADVOCATE CHRIST MED CTR-IL FAMILY MEDICINE
KAISER PERMANENTE-SO CA REGION FAMILY MEDICINE
ADVOCATE LUTHERAN GEN HOSP-IL FAMILY MEDICINE
HINSDALE HOSPITAL-IL FAMILY MEDICINE
UIC/ILLINOIS MASONIC FMR FAMILY MEDICINE

FLORIDA HOSP-ORLANDO-FL GENERAL SURGERY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO GENERAL SURGERY
U WASHINGTON AFFIL HOSPS GENERAL SURGERY
TULANE UNIV SOM-LA GENERAL SURGERY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO GENERAL SURGERY

BOSTON UNIV MED CTR-MA INTERNAL MEDICINE
UMDNJ-NEW JERSEY MED-NEWARK INTERNAL MEDICINE
DUKE UNIVERSITY MED CTR INTERNAL MEDICINE
BARNES-JEWISH HOSP-MO INTERNAL MEDICINE
MAYO SCHOOL OF GRAD MED EDUC-MN INTERNAL MEDICINE
RUSH UNIVERSITY MED CTR-IL INTERNAL MEDICINE
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO INTERNAL MEDICINE
U ARIZONA AFFIL HOSPS INTERNAL MEDICINE
U WISCONSIN HOSPITAL AND CLINICS INTERNAL MEDICINE
UNIV OF CHICAGO MED CTR-IL INTERNAL MEDICINE
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/ENH-IL INTERNAL MEDICINE
UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS CASE MED CTR-OH INTERNAL MEDICINE
OHIO STATE UNIV MED CTR-OH INTERNAL MEDICINE
ST LOUIS UNIV SOM-MO INTERNAL MEDICINE
U SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA INTERNAL MEDICINE
MASSACHUSETTS GEN HOSP INTERNAL MEDICINE
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/ENH-IL INTERNAL MEDICINE
LOYOLA UNIV MED CTR-IL INTERNAL MEDICINE

U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO MEDICINE-EMERGENCY MED

U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO MEDICINE-PEDIATRICS
MED COLL WISCONSIN AFFIL HOSPS MEDICINE-PEDIATRICS

MED COLL WISCONSIN AFFIL HOSPS MEDICINE-PRELIM
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO MEDICINE-PRELIM
ST JOSEPH HOSP-IL MEDICINE-PRELIM
RUSH UNIVERSITY MED CTR-IL MEDICINE-PRELIM
ST FRANCIS HOSP-EVANSTON-IL MEDICINE-PRELIM
GOOD SAMARITAN CINN-OH MEDICINE-PRELIM
ST FRANCIS HOSP-EVANSTON-IL MEDICINE-PRELIM
ST JOSEPH HOSP-IL MEDICINE-PRELIM

MASSACHUSETTS GEN HOSP NEUROLOGY
RUSH UNIVERSITY MED CTR-IL NEUROLOGY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO NEUROLOGY
YALE-NEW HAVEN HOSP-CT NEUROLOGY

OREGON HEALTH & SCIENCE UNIV OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY
NAVAL MEDICAL CENTER OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY
MED COLL WISCONSIN AFFIL HOSPS OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY
ALBERT EINSTEIN MED CTR-PA OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY
UC SAN FRANCISCO-CA OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY
ADVOCATE IL MASONIC MED CTR OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY

UNIV OF CHICAGO MED CTR-IL OPHTHALMOLOGY
U TEXAS OPHTHALMOLOGY
J. HOPKINS-WILMER GBMC OPHTHALMOLOGY
THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY OPHTHALMOLOGY
MED C WISCONSIN OPHTHALMOLOGY

U KANSAS SOM-WICHITA ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY
U WASHINGTON AFFIL HOSPS ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY
GEORGETOWN UNIV HOSP-DC ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY
NEW ENGLAND MED CTR-MA ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY

U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO OTOLARYNGOLOGY
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/NMH/VA-IL OTOLARYNGOLOGY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO OTOLARYNGOLOGY

MASSACHUSETTS GEN HOSP PATHOLOGY
BARNES-JEWISH HOSP-MO PATHOLOGY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO PATHOLOGY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO PATHOLOGY

U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO PEDIATRICS
MED COLL WISCONSIN AFFIL HOSPS PEDIATRICS
ADVOCATE CHRIST MED CTR-IL PEDIATRICS
CHILDRENS HOSP BOSTON-MA PEDIATRICS
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/CMH-IL PEDIATRICS
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO PEDIATRICS
ADVOCATE LUTHERAN GEN HOSP-IL PEDIATRICS
CHILDRENS HOSP-ORANGE CO-CA PEDIATRICS
MT SINAI HOSP MED CTR-IL PEDIATRICS
SIU SOM & AFFIL HOSPS-IL PEDIATRICS
ADVOCATE LUTHERAN GEN HOSP-IL PEDIATRICS
KAISER PERMANENTE-OAKLAND-CA PEDIATRICS
ST JOSEPHS HOSPITAL-AZ PEDIATRICS
MIAMI CHILDRENS HOSP-FL PEDIATRICS
KAISER PERMANENTE-SO CA REGION PEDIATRICS
MED COLL WISCONSIN AFFIL HOSPS PEDIATRICS
RUSH UNIVERSITY MED CTR-IL PEDIATRICS
ST LOUIS CHILDRENS-MO PEDIATRICS
UNIV OF CHICAGO MED CTR-IL PEDIATRICS

NYU PSYCHIATRY
NYP HOSP-WEILL CORNELL MED CTR-NY PSYCHIATRY
ADVOCATE LUTHERAN GEN HOSP-IL PSYCHIATRY
UC SAN FRANCISCO-CA PSYCHIATRY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO PSYCHIATRY
UC IRVINE MED CTR-CA PSYCHIATRY
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/NMH/VA-IL PSYCHIATRY
MASSACHUSETTS GEN HOSP PSYCHIATRY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO PSYCHIATRY

SUNY UPSTATE MED UNIVERSITY RADIATION-ONCOLOGY

U WASHINGTON AFFIL HOSPS RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC
ALBERT EINSTEIN MED CTR-PA RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC
UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS CASE MED CTR-OH RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC
MORRISTOWN MEM HOSP-NJ RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/NMH/VA-IL RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC
MAYO SCHOOL OF GRAD MED EDUC-MN RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC/UIC

UMDNJ-NEW JERSEY MED-NEWARK SURGERY-PLASTIC SURGERY

UNIV CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
HERSHEY MED CTR/PENN STATE-PA SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
U SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
NORTHWESTERN MCGAW/NMH/VA-IL SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY HOSP SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
SIU SOM & AFFIL HOSPS-IL SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
RUSH UNIVERSITY MED CTR-IL SURGERY-PRELIMINARY
SIU SOM & AFFIL HOSPS-IL SURGERY-PRELIMINARY

ST FRANCIS HOSP-EVANSTON-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
MACNEAL MEM HOSP-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
RESURRECTION MED CTR-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
ST JOSEPH HOSP-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
LOUIS WEISS/U CHICAGO-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
ST JOSEPH HOSP-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
DETROIT MED CTR CORPORATION-MI TRANSITIONAL YEAR
LOUIS WEISS/U CHICAGO-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
SWEDISH COVENANT HOSP-IL TRANSITIONAL YEAR
UPMC PRESBYTERIAN SHADYSIDE-PA TRANSITIONAL YEAR

SOUTHERN IL UNIV SOM UROLOGY
SOUTHERN IL UNIV SOM UROLOGY
U ILLINOIS COM-CHICAGO UROLOGY
MILTON S. HERSHEY MED CTR UROLOGY

Can someone please elaborate on the issue of regionality in the match?

2008 UAB Match
"*" = MD/PhD

Primary Care

Internal Medicine (32):
UAB (9), Duke (2), Baylor (2), WashU, Emory, Chicago, Virginia, VCU (2), Wake Forest (2), USF, Temple, Kentucky, MUSC, Virginia Mason, MCG, Baptist/Birmingham (2), Wright-Patterson (Air Force)

Pediatrics (13):
UAB (3), CHOP*, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt (2), UNC, VCU, CMKC, WFU, Arkansas

Family Practice (15):
Tuscaloosa (4), Huntsville, St. Vincent's East/AL (2), Vancouver/WA (2), Floyd/GA, Elgin/FL (Air Force), Brazos Valley/TX, Kansas, St. Joseph's/IN, St. Joseph/CO, Bayfront/FL

Preliminary Medicine (1)

Surgical Subspecialties

General Surgery (13):
UAB (4), Emory, Minnesota, WFU, Louisville, Kentucky, Mayo-Jax, Kansas, Portsmouth (Navy), Greenville/SC

Orthopaedic Surgery (8):
UAB, Arkansas (2), Mississippi, Louisville, UTMemphis, UTChattanooga, UTMB

Ophthalmology (3):
UAB (2), UTMemphis

Otolaryngology (3):
UAB, WFU, Rush

Neurosurgery (2):
UAB, UTMB

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (3):
UAB (3)

Urology (2):
Ochsner, GWU

Preliminary Surgery (3)

Everything Else

Anesthesiology (17):
UAB (8), Virginia (2), Chicago, Duke, Miami, Arkansas, UTHSC-SA, MUSC, UTKnoxville

OB/GYN (9):
UAB (3), Ohio State, Mississippi, Kentucky (2), Texas A&M, Maricopa

Emergency Medicine (7):
UAB (2), Louisville, Florida, Carolinas, Albert Einstein, Eastern Virginia

Radiology (7):
UAB (3), Oklahoma, Maryland, Memorial/Savannah, Baptist/Birmingham

Psychiatry (6):
UAB (4), Vanderbilt, Maryland

Pathology (4):
UAB, Michigan*, SLU, Baptist/Birmingham

Neurology (4):
UAB (3), Emory

Dermatology (4)
UAB, Michigan (2) **, MUSC

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (2):
Temple, UTHSC-SA

Radiation Oncology (1):
Louisville

The schools are phenomenal, but the specialty they got are pretty average. Most of the class matched into internal medicine.

A plurality of graduates go into internal medicine.

mtd0130- Where did you find UT-H's match list on their website? It isn't posted where they have put it in the past.

I guess I'm just biased against derm because you hear so many people wanting to set up a botox farm and live the good life. It's not that derms don't do good works though, especially for people with actual skin conditions, so it's not that I disagree on an individual level to people going derm (for example, I know someone who had a life affecting skin condition, and she wants to help others with similar problems). I just worry over the general tread of so many of the highest achieving people going into the specialty when they might be doing a lot better for society in other places. So even though the lack of derm matches probably reflects people not being *accepted* into derm, I choose to be optimistic/naive and interpret it as a rejection of materialism/aestheticism in favor of a greater social awareness.

actually, the limited derm spots are probably due to the fact that the less dermatologist you have, the higher the demand for any individual dermatologist, and the more money he/she makes.

Honestly, if you have the smarts, why not go into derm/plastics? Why would you slave your life away for mediocre pay as a FP or internist when you could be "helping people" and making the dough? Dermatologists have great hours, relatively easy work, good pay, and a good lifestyle in general. When you are like 50 years old, these things are really important.

There is none. I grew up in Maryland, went to med school at Duke, and matched in Medicine-Pediatrics at UCSD. I went on three west coast interviews and was warmly received at all of them. The only thing regionality contributes to in the match is very locally, like between Duke and UNC, the programs know each other well and respect each others' students. Otherwise, region shouldn't limit you.

Politics/connections are significant in more competitive things like derm, plastics, and radiology, but that is not always region-based as much as it is simply who the people in the department of that field at your school know and who you get to know.

The biggest influence of regionality tends to be on an applicant's own match list--i.e. if you want to be in a particular part of the country.

Pediatrics - 18
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
University of Pittsburgh
University of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Children’s Hospital of Boston
Rainbow Babies & Childrens / University Hospitals Case Medical Center
Vanderbilt University
St Louis Childrens Hospital
Indiana University
Childrens Hospital of Oakland
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
North Shore/Long Island Jewish

Internal Medicine - 17
Stanford
Stanford
California Pacific Medical Center
Tulane
Duke University
University of North Carolina
University of Michigan
University of Michigan
Emory University
UC Irvine
Boston University
Wright Patterson Medical Center
University of Colorado
Cedars-Sinai

Family Medicine - 12
University of Pittsburgh
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
University of Arizona
Swedish Medical Center Seattle
Fairview Medical Center
St. Joseph Hospital IL
Providence Milwaukie Hospital
University of Illinois
Conroe Regional Medical Center

Anesthesiology - 9
University of Maryland
Massachusetts General Hospital
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Northwestern
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Radiology - 9
St. Francis Hospital Evanston
Lennox Hill Hospital
St. Vincent Hospital MA
Case Western/MetroHealth Medical Center
University of Pittsburgh

Orthopedics - 7
University of Chicago
Hamot Medical Center PA
University of Washington
Cleveland Clinic
William Beaumont Hospital MI
Grand Rapids Medical

Obstetrics/Gynecology -7

Naval Medical Center San Diego
University of Chicago
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Methodist Hospital TX
Akron General
University of Pittsburgh

Emergency Medicine - 6
University of Connecticut
University of Nevada Las Vegas
University of Colorado
Case Western / Metro Health Medical Center
Barnes-Jewish Hospital MO
University of New Mexico

Psychiatry – 6
Henry Ford Hospital
UCLA Medical Center
Cleveland Clinic
Harvard
University of Arizona
University of Vermont

Ophthalmology - 5
Mayo Clinic
Ohio State University
Wake Forest University
University of Michigan
University of Miami/Bascom Palmer Eye Institute

Dermatology - 4
Cleveland Clinic
Stanford University

Plastic Surgery - 4
University of Michigan
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Grand Rapids/MSU

General Surgery - 4

New York Presbyterian Hospital – Cornell
University of California San Diego
University of Nevada LV
University of Toledo

Neurology – 4
New York Presbyterian Hospital – Columbia
Duke University
Stanford University

Otolaryngology - 3
New York University

Urology - 3
University of Miami Medical Center
Medical University of South Carolina
Henry Ford Hospital

Pathology - 3
Brigham & Women’s Hospital Boston

Radiation Oncology - 2
University of Texas – MD Anderson Cancer Center
University of South Florida / Moffitt

Oral & Maxillofacial – 2

Medicine/Pediatrics - 1

Ohio State University

Psych/Peds/Child Psych - 1

University of Utah

Pediatric Neurology -1
Childrens’ National Medical Center DC

Neurosurgery - 1
Indiana University

PM&R - 1

Pediatrics - 18
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
University of Pittsburgh
University of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Children’s Hospital of Boston
Vanderbilt University
St Louis Childrens Hospital
Indiana University
Childrens Hospital of Oakland
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
North Shore/Long Island Jewish

Internal Medicine - 17
Stanford
Stanford
California Pacific Medical Center
Tulane
Duke University
University of Michigan
University of Michigan
Emory University
UC Irvine
Boston University
Wright Patterson Medical Center
University of Colorado
Cedars-Sinai

Family Medicine - 12
University of Pittsburgh
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
University of Arizona
Fairview Medical Center
St. Joseph Hospital IL
Providence Milwaukie Hospital
University of Illinois
Conroe Regional Medical Center

Anesthesiology - 9
University of Maryland
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Northwestern
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Radiology - 9
St. Francis Hospital Evanston
Lennox Hill Hospital
St. Vincent Hospital MA
University of Pittsburgh

Orthopedics - 7
University of Chicago
Hamot Medical Center PA
University of Washington
Cleveland Clinic
William Beaumont Hospital MI
Grand Rapids Medical

Obstetrics/Gynecology -7

Naval Medical Center San Diego
University of Chicago
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Methodist Hospital TX
Akron General
University of Pittsburgh

Emergency Medicine - 6
University of Connecticut
University of Nevada Las Vegas
University of Colorado
Case Western / Metro Health Medical Center
Barnes-Jewish Hospital MO
University of New Mexico

Psychiatry – 6
Henry Ford Hospital
UCLA Medical Center
Cleveland Clinic
Harvard
University of Arizona
University of Vermont

Ophthalmology - 5
Mayo Clinic
Ohio State University
Wake Forest University
University of Michigan
University of Miami/Bascom Palmer Eye Institute

Dermatology - 4
Cleveland Clinic
Stanford University

Plastic Surgery - 4
University of Michigan
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Grand Rapids/MSU

General Surgery - 4

New York Presbyterian Hospital – Cornell
University of California San Diego
University of Nevada LV
University of Toledo

Neurology – 4
Duke University
Stanford University

Otolaryngology - 3
New York University

Urology - 3
University of Miami Medical Center
Medical University of South Carolina
Henry Ford Hospital

Pathology - 3

Radiation Oncology - 2
University of Texas – MD Anderson Cancer Center
University of South Florida / Moffitt

Oral & Maxillofacial – 2

Medicine/Pediatrics - 1

Ohio State University

Psych/Peds/Child Psych - 1

University of Utah

Pediatric Neurology -1
Childrens’ National Medical Center DC

Neurosurgery - 1
Indiana University

PM&R - 1

Do you know the match stats for the MSTP students? Are they included in this list?

If you know you want to end up in a certain area of the country, there is some advantage to going to medical school in that region. For example, I'm at school in California and 75% of my class matched in California. Most of the people who wanted to stay in CA were able to do so. Many medical schools will take many of their own students as residents, so this will increase your chances of staying in the area. Also, it is a small world in academic medicine and a letter of recommendation from attendings at your school will likely be well-received by others in that region who may know your letter writer well. You may also have opportunities to attend regional conferences in medical school and to network with people from other programs in the area.

That said, it is definitely still possible to match into another area of the country that is different from where you go to school. You may want to do an away rotation at a program in the area you want to match into to show your interest. Or you can tailor your personal statement to address why you want to be in that area. Letters of rec from people well-known in their field will also likely be well-received in an part of the country. I did encounter some regionalism at interviews, "ie why would you want to leave CA to come here?" But for the most part if you have a good explanation it shouldn't be an issue. Hope that helps.

For example, I'm at school in California and 75% of my class matched in California. Most of the people who wanted to stay in CA were able to do so.

But that's kind of self selecting statistics. Folks who wanted to go to med school in CA are the same people more likely to want to do residency in CA. Doesn't mean that there aren't folks elsewhere in the country who couldn't have snagged all those spots if they had any interest in being in CA, or that your class could have had the same percentage success at east coast schools if they didn't have a goal of staying in CA. If you do well in school and boards at a good allo school, you have a good shot at any residency anywhere. The fact that folks in state X often stay in state X doesn't go tell you as much about their odds at matching there over OOSers, just that their desire to stay there was probably greater than OOSers. Again, it's hard to look at raw data and draw conclusions since you don't know what people at various schools are shooting for. What you read as success could really be default.

DAMN Case Western has a good match list this year..:thumbup:

Vanderbilt Match List
Don't trust the numbers at the bottom, I did them quickly.

Anesthesia (7)
Vanderbilt (3)
Baylor
Jackson Memorial Hospital
Stanford
Michigan

Derm (4)
Yale
BU
UAB
MGH

ER (10)