2008 Rank Order List!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Vandy
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. UAB
4. Ohio State

Members don't see this ad.

#1/#2 i can accepted...but wow, alabama over IU, BI, and CC?? not judging, just pondering the many reasons (family? personal?) for this.

Those aren't necessarily the best programs. You look at the whole picture - what your fellow residents will be like (hopefully laid back and fun), how long you gross, free time for research, quality of teaching etc. Those would be great places to train for fellowship, when you aren't stuck in the gross room all the time. It's not unheard of for people to choose programs over places like Cleveland Clinic, BID, Hopkins, etc...

I will follow suit and post my top 4. I am probably too uptight, but I wouldn't want to offend anybody lower than that.

1. Ohio State
2. Indiana
3. Boston U
4. BIDMC

BU over BIDMC might be a surprise to some, but I felt that it was a much better fit for my personality. Good luck to everyone, can't wait to find out what happens Mar 20!

Sean

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious...to those that r ranking osu so highly...did u consider cleveland clinic?...if not, why not?...i noticed that osu seems a lot higher on most lists and on many, cc isnt even mntioned

just curious...to those that r ranking osu so highly...did u consider cleveland clinic?...if not, why not?...i noticed that osu seems a lot higher on most lists and on many, cc isnt even mntioned

For me, purely family reasons. My wife can go to a program in Columbus but not Cleveland, so I didn't apply for that reason. Can't speak for any others, though. I did notice a lot of Ohio State rankings which has me worried ;).

MGH
Michigan
BIDMC
Cleveland Clinic

The remaining (not in descending order): UCSF, Mayo, Stanford, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, WashU, NWU, Rush, BU, BWH

1. Hopkins
2. Mayo
3. Stanford
4. BWH
5. Southwestern

i didn't apply to CCF, more because i'd heard cleveland is a crummy place to live than because of the program, about which i hadn't heard much either way eight months ago. in retrospect, i probably should have applied based on what i've heard about the program and about cleveland. that said, the reason i ranked OSU as my #1, given that i really liked all of my top 5, was because columbus meets a lot of my needs personally. the program seems like a solid one with good subspecialty AP faculty. residents seem very happy; i know one of the pgy-1s and he's had only positive things to say about the training he's receiving. there are a lot of fellowship opportunities (although at present they lack one of the ones i'm most seriously interested in - forensic path). so those are a few of the reasons why OSU made it to the top of my list - simply put, OSU and columbus were the best combo of what i'm looking for in a program and a place to live.

I will follow suit and post my top 4. I am probably too uptight, but I wouldn't want to offend anybody lower than that.

1. Ohio State
2. Indiana
3. Boston U
4. BIDMC

BU over BIDMC might be a surprise to some, but I felt that it was a much better fit for my personality. Good luck to everyone, can't wait to find out what happens Mar 20!

Sean

You and mlw are going to end up at the same program!

<--Wants to be an intern with Sean and Mlw. :smuggrin: :)

There are always a couple of programs which seem to be overrepresented on these forums or at least surprisingly popular compared to previous years. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, other than people on this forum like the program ;)

(The) OSU has seemed to have made a concerted effort over the past couple of years to improve their training and facilities, so I think that is showing in part in their residency recruitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are always a couple of programs which seem to be overrepresented on these forums or at least surprisingly popular compared to previous years. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, other than people on this forum like the program ;)

(The) OSU has seemed to have made a concerted effort over the past couple of years to improve their training and facilities, so I think that is showing in part in their residency recruitment.

i get a kick out of that. even if i end up there i'll have a hard time calling it THE ohio state university. i'm guessing people would tell me to shove it if i insisted they call my school THE university of south florida. and they'll have enough reason to give me crap up there considering i'm a UF alum, and for sports, will always remain a gator.

to get it back on topic, this year seems to have a lot of posters with an interest in the midwest program. mich, iowa, minn, wisc, ohio, and illinois programs seem to be relatively popular this year.

You and mlw are going to end up at the same program!

<--Wants to be an intern with Sean and Mlw. :smuggrin: :)

Haha. Maybe!:thumbup:

I think the high frequency of seeing OSU is likely also the result of small sample size. At our clinical campus where I do rotations, there are about 12 students in the 4th year class. In that group we have 3 ER, 1 Ophtho, 2 Path, 2 Surgery, 2 Medicine, 0 Peds, 0 Family, 0 OB, 1 Psych, 1 PM&R. If you took this to be a sample of the whole class it would be way distorted. It looks like Path is 20% of the graduating class, but in reality there was 1/180 last year and maybe 4/180 this year. Plus there are more ER than surgery or medicine, which would not hold up if you looked at the rest of the class.

My ROL. I went to 11 interviews total but I'll just post my top 4:

1 U. Maryland
2 UIC
3 MUSC
4 U. Louisville

Now if only they could win a National Championship... :laugh:

(That's right, I went there...)

Alright, I am now feeling more comfortable with participating, so I'll lay it out there:

1. Methodist (Houston)
2. Emory
3 through 6 (no particular order) : BWH, Penn, Hopkins, UCSF...

BH

i get a kick out of that. even if i end up there i'll have a hard time calling it THE ohio state university. i'm guessing people would tell me to shove it if i insisted they call my school THE university of south florida. and they'll have enough reason to give me crap up there considering i'm a UF alum, and for sports, will always remain a gator.

Just wanted to clarify things a bit on this topic. Ohio State is one of only a few schools in the country (American University is another) which is called The ______ University instead of The University of _______. This is why there is so much emphasis on The, which I think became popular on Monday Night Football when Cris Carter introduced himself in the player profiles.

Back on topic, congrats and good luck to all in this year's match, you will be hearing more from me when I'm applying for the 2008-2009 class.

Just wanted to clarify things a bit on this topic. Ohio State is one of only a few schools in the country (American University is another) which is called The ______ University instead of The University of _______. This is why there is so much emphasis on The, which I think became popular on Monday Night Football when Cris Carter introduced himself in the player profiles.

I thought all the "state" schools have the univeristy part last... probably every state has a ____ state univeristy. Only OSU has the arrogance to emphasize the "The" as in "we're the best/only" Ohio school.

I've never heard this from better football programs... like The Louisiana State University, or The Arizona State Univerisity, or The Oregon State University....:D

My biases: Strong CP, strong AP, good research opportunities/support, fellowship of interest....

FLAWLESS
-----------
-MGH
-WashU
-BWH

Excellent (I'd be really happy here- only mild imperfections)
--------------------------------------------------------
- Yale
- Cornell

Good
------
-Methodist (Houston)
- Penn
- UW
- UCLA
- Pitt

Just curious, but why UIC over other Chicago programs?

I, too, absolutely ranked UIC over the other Chicago programs. (I opted not to interview at UofC or Northwestern-Evanston.) I was absolutely more impressed by their emphasis on education, supportive & involved staff, etc etc (I'd be happy to elaborate...) Based on my experience during this process & interests (As well as the apparent current state of the programs), I ranked them UIC>Rush>Loyola>NWU

I thought all the "state" schools have the univeristy part last... probably every state has a ____ state univeristy. Only OSU has the arrogance to emphasize the "The" as in "we're the best/only" Ohio school.

I've never heard this from better football programs... like The Louisiana State University, or The Arizona State Univerisity, or The Oregon State University....:D

I believe these other schools do not officially have "The" in front of their names. I am pretty sure Ohio State is one of the only schools that is officially has "The" in front of the school name and a quick search of the schools you mentioned websites shows that they don't have that.

I believe these other schools do not officially have "The" in front of their names. I am pretty sure Ohio State is one of the only schools that is officially has "The" in front of the school name and a quick search of the schools you mentioned websites shows that they don't have that.

well i can tell you as a fact that Oregon State doesn't bother with "The" . . . apparently, The Ohio State University was founded in 1870 as a land-grant university in accordance with the Morrill Act of 1862 under the name of the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College. The school was originally situated within a farming community located on the northern edge of Columbus. While some interests in the state had hoped that the new university would focus on matriculating students of various agricultural and mechanical disciplines, Governor Rutherford B. Hayes foresaw a more classic, comprehensive university and manipulated both the university's location and its initial board of trustees towards that end. Later that year, the university welcomed its first class of twenty-four students. In 1878, and in light of its expanded focus, the college permanently changed its name to the now-familiar "The Ohio State University" (with the article "The" as part of its official name).

says wikipedia . . .

Hey, DocBioHazard- looks like we might be fellow residents!

1- Methodist
2- Duke
3-5 in no particular order - Utah, MUSC, UVa

My ROL:

1. Vanderbilt

That's it!
I interviewed at several hospitals, but after finding "my match" I decided I would rather have no job than match somewhere else!

My ROL:

1. Vanderbilt

That's it!
I interviewed at several hospitals, but after finding "my match" I decided I would rather have no job than match somewhere else!

wow. say hello to the folks in clin pharm for me. good people in those woods . . .

I, too, absolutely ranked UIC over the other Chicago programs. (I opted not to interview at UofC or Northwestern-Evanston.) I was absolutely more impressed by their emphasis on education, supportive & involved staff, etc etc (I'd be happy to elaborate...) Based on my experience during this process & interests (As well as the apparent current state of the programs), I ranked them UIC>Rush>Loyola>NWU

Wondering why you opted not to interview at U of C? U of C, from what I've been reading here in SDN, is one of the better training programs in Chicago. What was your impression of the Chicago programs you interviewed at?

1. Utah
2. Penn
3. U of Chicago
4-8: (no particular order): GW, New Mexico, Hopkins, WashU, Northwestern

My ROL:

1. Vanderbilt

That's it!

Good for you! I wish I were as brave. :thumbup:

for your sake, i hope you're kidding.

Really, did it sound funny? For me, Vandy is a perfect match: research environment, clinical training, Nashville. Oh, did I mention Nashville?

Rank lists are for wussies! (actually, now I'm kidding, please rank away)
Seriously, I'll do a postdoc there if I don't match, and try again next year.

1. Utah
2. Penn
3. U of Chicago

gschl-

I completely loved the Utah program and given that I've always dreamed of living near a ski resort, well it was a match made in heaven!- would have ranked it first if my husband hadn't been a big party pooper.

Good luck!!!

Really, did it sound funny? For me, Vandy is a perfect match: research environment, clinical training, Nashville. Oh, did I mention Nashville?

Rank lists are for wussies! (actually, now I'm kidding, please rank away)
Seriously, I'll do a postdoc there if I don't match, and try again next year.

no, it didn't sound funny, but it seems incredibly risky to go through 4 years of med school and then risk not getting a residency. you feel vandy is your perfect fit, and i respect that. but there's a lot of qualified applicants to a solid program, and there will be every year. so if you don't get a spot this year, why would doing a year of research make you more qualified to diagnose than you are now? hopefully you get your spot, and maybe they told you you're ranked to match, thus making it less risky. but looking at the NRMP data shows that people who rank only a single program face a very real risk of going unmatched. but it sounds like you're prepared to take that chance.

yeah.. that was pretty much my point...

gschl-

I completely loved the Utah program and given that I've always dreamed of living near a ski resort, well it was a match made in heaven!- would have ranked it first if my husband hadn't been a big party pooper.

Good luck!!!

MT:

I loved the program as well. The reason it got pushed to the top for me was because the area works out for my husband since his company has an office in Salt Lake. That being said, I would be very happy to end up at any of my top 3. Good luck to you too! ;)

Hey, DocBioHazard- looks like we might be fellow residents!

1- Methodist

Awesome. Glad to see there's someone else around here who fell in love with it! Look forward to meeting you in late June...

My ROL:

1. Vanderbilt

That's it!

You are super hardcore. Even with promises of being "ranked to match" from a couple of places, I still ranked everywhere that I interviewed, because all of them seemed better than the possibility of the scramble.

BH

1. Utah
2. Penn
3. U of Chicago
Just a little off topic, but I just want to shake off a possible rumor. Is it true that you get a star next to your name if you're mormon in the phone book?

Just a little off topic, but I just want to shake off a possible rumor. Is it true that you get a star next to your name if you're mormon in the phone book?

That's hilarious...I lived in Utah for several years and never heard that (or saw it in any phonebooks).

One of my favorite rumors when there was that mormons have horns but have them cut off when they are babies. Great stuff!

That's hilarious...I lived in Utah for several years and never heard that (or saw it in any phonebooks).

One of my favorite rumors when there was that mormons have horns but have them cut off when they are babies. Great stuff!

not all of them... just mitt romney. :smuggrin:

Not being mormon myself, I have no idea :rolleyes:

Speaking of living next to ski resorts, what other programs are well-rounded and close to good slopes?

Speaking of living next to ski resorts, what other programs are well-rounded and close to good slopes?

UW, UC Davis, and UNM come to mind as the closest of the places I visited.

colorado comes to mind, and both UVM and dartmouth are close to killington.

I think Utah's program is fairly well regarded too... I don't know if any cali programs are close to skiing or not?

to get things slightly back on track, i haven't seen anyone posting pre-match contracts this year. have any of our posters on here signed pre-match? if so, congrats. you get to breathe easy while the rest of us keep waiting anxiously for 3/20. i'm even jealous of the west coast people. they can wake up, stroll over to their computer and see where they matched, while us on the east coast are gonna have all morning to stress about it just a little bit more.

I think Utah's program is fairly well regarded too... I don't know if any cali programs are close to skiing or not?

Davis has great proximity to the Sierras.

All of the LA programs and UCSD said they were "a drive" from skiing. You're not that far from Big Bear.

1. BIDMC
2. Yale-New Haven
3. University of Washington
4. Northwestern
5. University of Utah

Big Bear is close; however, unless you are from the midwest, it is not worth skiing. Mammoth is ~5 hrs from LA and 7 hrs from San Diego.

Agreed..... only Mammoth and Tahoe (Heavenly etc) have worthwhile skiing in the state.

Southwest Airlines has good deals to Colorado from SOCAL.

Utah and Colorado probably have the highest quality snow (for skiing) IMHO in the US if not the world.

Utah and Colorado probably have the highest quality snow (for skiing) IMHO in the US if not the world.

The Kudesai does not lie. the best indeed . . .

but we can also break open a discussion of good whitewater if there are any kayakers in the audience . . . ?