-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008 VCU/MCV Central
Started by caliboy07
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! Can I ask which hold message you had?? I'm about to hit a month of waiting...
I think it was the "we'd like to consider your file further" one.
Not the super-high priority hold, but apparently it worked out ok. 🙂
I think it was the "we'd like to consider your file further" one.
Not the super-high priority hold, but apparently it worked out ok. 🙂
Ok cool. 🙂 I hope mines coming in the next few weeks...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those of you still waiting, has anyone called VCU? are they friendly if you call or do they prefer that you don't?
Me too! VCU must really be inundated with applicants this year.. I've been on hold for almost a month!
For those of you who have been accepted- has anyone's matric file status changed to give you your eID, VCU card #, etc? I've paid and submitted my matriculation form- I was wondering if it was just too early or if something was wrong with some of my documents?
Oct 15 was the first batch of acceptances...then when is the next batch out??
Dec. 15th
December 15!!!Oct 15 was the first batch of acceptances...then when is the next batch out??
I interview at VCU early december, would I know by dec 15th then???
I wonder the same thing. I'm interviewing December 5th. Given the people that interviewed shortly before October 15, it seems that it could go either way. Some interviewed and didn't get a decision 10/15.
i haven't gotten put on hold, but i've been waaaaiting... in a week i will have been complete for 2 months. without hearing ANYTHING. news of anything would be welcome now!! at least it would be news... 🙄
Same here.
It sucks that they give you a time limit to complete your secondary and then they take 2months+ to review your file.
I'm in the same boat on all my New York school applications. ugh.Same here.
It sucks that they give you a time limit to complete your secondary and then they take 2months+ to review your file.
they kept telling us how they're usually behind and it takes a long time to get through interviewees at their committee meetings, so I wouldn't expect a December acceptance if you interview in December
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they kept telling us how they're usually behind and it takes a long time to get through interviewees at their committee meetings, so I wouldn't expect a December acceptance if you interview in December
That's fine with me. I'll take an acceptance any time! 😀
Hey everyone, I already asked but no one answered so I will again. For those of you who have been accepted, under your matric file status tab, have any of your ID #s or email things come up yet or changed from "unavailable" ?? I'm just worried since it says after five days you should call the admissions office and it's been way longer than that...
Why don't you follow the directions and call the admissions office?Hey everyone, I already asked but no one answered so I will again. For those of you who have been accepted, under your matric file status tab, have any of your ID #s or email things come up yet or changed from "unavailable" ?? I'm just worried since it says after five days you should call the admissions office and it's been way longer than that...
fitnesspremed,
My ID numbers have not changed either. When you log in does the first page confirm that you sent your payment and completed the mat form?
yep it does- i asked my friend at vcu today and she said not to expect it for a while, usually it comes in the spring. and thanks for being a jerk KVO, sorry that I'm a little nervous. Sorry, i'm not dealing well with people treating me like i'm an idiot today.
I interview at VCU early december, would I know by dec 15th then???
I interviewed on October 4th and did not hear on October 15th. What was so annoying is that they said with certainty that we would be hearing on October 15th. Its not the end of the world, I'll hear on Dec 15th, but it sure was a let down when the 15th came around and everyone that interviewed in September heard their news and my status page didn't change. Just chalk it up to the increased applicant #'s this year, I guess.
I interviewed on October 4th and did not hear on October 15th. What was so annoying is that they said with certainty that we would be hearing on October 15th. Its not the end of the world, I'll hear on Dec 15th, but it sure was a let down when the 15th came around and everyone that interviewed in September heard their news and my status page didn't change. Just chalk it up to the increased applicant #'s this year, I guess.
You have to remember how the process works at VCU. Everyone is ranked based on their score and once a decision date rolls around they offer acceptances to the highest ranked applicants. If you didn't hear something on October 15th, it doesn't mean that they didn't finish looking at your file; it just means you weren't high enough on the list to get an acceptance on that date.
Again, not everyone who interviewed in September got news on October 15th, only those who were at the top of the ranking list did. This means that, for December 15th, if someone isn't ranked highly enough to get an acceptance, even if they interviewed months ago, they may not hear anything.
You have to remember how the process works at VCU. Everyone is ranked based on their score and once a decision date rolls around they offer acceptances to the highest ranked applicants. If you didn't hear something on October 15th, it doesn't mean that they didn't finish looking at your file; it just means you weren't high enough on the list to get an acceptance on that date.
Again, not everyone who interviewed in September got news on October 15th, only those who were at the top of the ranking list did. This means that, for December 15th, if someone isn't ranked highly enough to get an acceptance, even if they interviewed months ago, they may not hear anything.
Not true. If someone interviews, but doesn't meet the threshold for an offer, their status still changes. They are notified of the status change vie email and told that they have been placed on hold until the next cycle of offers. Only if their file hasn't been reviewed in time will someone not hear anything.
Not true. If someone interviews, but doesn't meet the threshold for an offer, their status still changes. They are notified of the status change vie email and told that they have been placed on hold until the next cycle of offers. Only if their file hasn't been reviewed in time will someone not hear anything.
This is true. I was assuming the applicant already had the hold message on their status page. bioteach seemed to be expecting some kind of definite verdict on the acceptance date, but that may or may not happen.
My memory might be a little fuzzy from last year, but I think the status change indicating you are on the waitlist does not happen until after the last batch has been released. The only times it would change before that is if you have been accepted in one of the batches or rejected.
My memory might be a little fuzzy from last year, but I think the status change indicating you are on the waitlist does not happen until after the last batch has been released. The only times it would change before that is if you have been accepted in one of the batches or rejected.
There is actually a message that should show up post-interview saying, "Your application is on hold until our next batch of offers. Offers are made..." But you will not be placed on a waitlist until after March 15th when the last batch of offers are made.
I just got an interview invite. I had the dreaded "admissions committee would like to consider your file further" message for two months or so. I sent my secondary in around the end of July.
Hope things start moving for the rest of yous.
Congrats! That's good the hear. I still probably have 3-4 weeks before I hear anything then...sigh. I was submitted the same time you were, but they took forever to review my app. 🙁
I just got an interview invite. I had the dreaded "admissions committee would like to consider your file further" message for two months or so. I sent my secondary in around the end of July.
Hope things start moving for the rest of yous.
what was the earliest date you could schedule?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what was the earliest date you could schedule?
23 January 08, it actually works out well for me since I'll be up at WVU interviewing around the same time.
Congrats! That's good the hear. I still probably have 3-4 weeks before I hear anything then...sigh. I was submitted the same time you were, but they took forever to review my app. 🙁
Thanks. Your stats are better than mine (your MCAT and cum GPA), so hopefully you'll hear something soon.
I assume it's perfectly normal to get an email saying your file has been reviewed and placed on hold for action at a later date (if you've already interviewed)?
Do they reject in those intermediate times?
Do they reject in those intermediate times?
I assume it's perfectly normal to get an email saying your file has been reviewed and placed on hold for action at a later date (if you've already interviewed)?
Do they reject in those intermediate times?
Yessir. This message is very normal. I'm fairly certain that both acceptances and rejections only come on the designated decision dates.
what a tease
This is true. I was assuming the applicant already had the hold message on their status page. bioteach seemed to be expecting some kind of definite verdict on the acceptance date, but that may or may not happen.
I heard the same schpiel as everyone else. We were told that our message would become either (1) acceptance, (2) hold, or (3) rejection. At the time my status page was a Thank You for taking the survey, nothing more.
Oh, and in case anyone is interested. TODAY (Nov 10th) my message changed from the Thank You to "Hold" status. If they really had made that decision on Oct 15th, I'd imagine the status would have changed then.
they told me when I interviewed that they were really behind on reviewing files, so that's probably what happened to you.I heard the same schpiel as everyone else. We were told that our message would become either (1) acceptance, (2) hold, or (3) rejection. At the time my status page was a Thank You for taking the survey, nothing more.
Oh, and in case anyone is interested. TODAY (Nov 10th) my message changed from the Thank You to "Hold" status. If they really had made that decision on Oct 15th, I'd imagine the status would have changed then.
I assume it's perfectly normal to get an email saying your file has been reviewed and placed on hold for action at a later date (if you've already interviewed)?
Do they reject in those intermediate times?
Yes, they do reject as they go. If someone gets a terrible score at the committee, they will send an automatic rejection rather than leaving you in limbo. March 15th, however, they could possibly send out a few more rejections because they sometimes cut down the waitlist size when they officially form it.
After a more than a month in VCU "committee is interested but not enough to interview" purgatory, I got the interview invite- it will fall on my birthday in February 😀
I find that this system, though somewhat ambiguous, is superior to the hold system.
-Wishing you all the same relief
I find that this system, though somewhat ambiguous, is superior to the hold system.
-Wishing you all the same relief

I finally got something today from vcu after being complete since august.
The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. etc.
The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. etc.
bump. Anyone interview today? Any new news?
bump
anyone hear anything lately?
anyone hear anything lately?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like there are no more interview slots open for the rest of the year! Dr. WC is trying to petition for more slots to interview candidates. Goodluck to all of you waiting for an interview. I've been waiting for so long that I'm starting to lose hope...🙁
It seems like there are no more interview slots open for the rest of the year! Dr. WC is trying to petition for more slots to interview candidates. Goodluck to all of you waiting for an interview. I've been waiting for so long that I'm starting to lose hope...🙁
Seriously? They ran out mid-November?
I'm not complaining-I already have one-but that's absurd. I feel bad for everybody still on hold! That's a major bummer.
Has anyone else been complete for more than 2 months but have not heard anything yet. I've been complete since late August but have not heard anything.
Seriously? They ran out mid-November?
Yeah, wtf. Does this happen every year at VCU? Does this happen at other schools?
It took a while to get my secondary, then I had to get my LORs sent twice (and one was from overseas), then a simultaneous complete/"no interview slots" update message Saturday night. Really disappointed... like the school. Hmm my post seems to have no point... oh well - click
It seems like there are no more interview slots open for the rest of the year! Dr. WC is trying to petition for more slots to interview candidates. Goodluck to all of you waiting for an interview. I've been waiting for so long that I'm starting to lose hope...🙁
did you hear this from Dr. WC herself?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 222
- Replies
- 20
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K