2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we've gone over that we're supposed to enter course names exactly as they appear on the transcript. My problem is, mine are abbreviated to the point that they don't include number in multi class series. For example Applied Physics I is just APPL PHYS.
Do you think it would be a good idea to add a 1 at the end, like the instructions say to do with combined lab and lecture courses (add and Lab to the end)?

I emailed AMCAS and they said it's okay to write out full names for Course Names.

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm doing summer school at a new institution this summer (i.e. taking a course in June-July 2009), do I need to add it in as a new college, and do I need to get transcripts?

I'm worried my application will get delayed until I finish this course and send AMCAS the official transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
are u guys listing ur undegrad thesis under research?

I mean i spent a lot of time working on it senior yr..but not sure if this would could as reseach? confused!

especially if ur thesis wasnt basd on scienctific research but more like social sicneces and stuff?

anyone know?

So I opted to change one of my courses from letter grade to P/NP and I passed. Do I check the Pass/Fail box?

According to the manual,

"Pass/Fail courses are those that are attempted under a Pass/Fail system that allows no more than two passing grades and one failing grade (e.g., Credit/No Credit, Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, High Pass/Pass/Fail, etc.)"

Obviously my course doesn't fit the criteria, right?

So I opted to change one of my courses from letter grade to P/NP and I passed. Do I check the Pass/Fail box?

According to the manual,

"Pass/Fail courses are those that are attempted under a Pass/Fail system that allows no more than two passing grades and one failing grade (e.g., Credit/No Credit, Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, High Pass/Pass/Fail, etc.)"

Obviously my course doesn't fit the criteria, right?

You changed your course to pass/not-pass. Isn't that the same as pass/fail?? I would check the box.

Thanks so much for all your help!! I failed an AP exam but my transcript still lists it and for credits earned it says 0. Should I include this class as well?

okay so i just checked my app from last year on this. I had taken AP Chem and got a 5 on the exam, but I majored in chem and took Chem I and II and my college counted the credit at first, only to immediately deduct them. Last year when I applied, I left this out (since it wasn't credited)

I noticed this for the first time today:

2005 OT HIST AP CREDIT: EUROPEAN HISTORY 4.00
2005 OT HIST AP CREDIT: U.S. HISTORY 4.00
2005 OT MATH AP CREDIT: STATISTICS 4.00
2005 OT MATH AP CREDIT: CALCULUS I & II 8.00
2005 OT BESS AP CREDIT: GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY 4.00
.2005 OT CHEM Chemistry 4.00 .

so obviously, you can see from the format that I didn't write the chem thing myself (i entered all the other ones as AP Credit: X). later in my transcript it should say that ap credit was withdrawn for chem because I took the Chem I and II classes. However, I guess AMCAS skipped that over and entered as they saw them coming. Oh well, at least I don't have to go through application again - not that it mattered i think.

are u guys listing ur undegrad thesis under research?

I mean i spent a lot of time working on it senior yr..but not sure if this would could as reseach? confused!

especially if ur thesis wasnt basd on scienctific research but more like social sicneces and stuff?

anyone know?

list it. it's a chance to describe/sell it and i'm sure you spent out of class time on it

lol yes!! lots nad lots of out of class time!!

im glad i made a CV for my LOR peopel..

now im jsut cutting and pasting gthe activiteis from there. yaya =)

You do not have to list them separately if

Yes, list your AP classes as "Freshman", right along with the classes you took your first semester in college.

this doesn't make sense, if the classes were taken in High school?

why is it so confusing...:mad:

does anyone know the correct way to do this? I have AP credits from AP classes taken my Junior and Senior years of High School. These credits show on my College transcript as Transfer credits.

1. Do I need a transcript from my High school?
2. How do I enter into Coursework section: (HS, Freshman????)

how long are you guys making your descriptions for the work/activities?

also, (stupid question warning) are you guys writing in first person?

does anyone know the correct way to do this? I have AP credits from AP classes taken my Junior and Senior years of High School. These credits show on my College transcript as Transfer credits.

you do not need a transcript from hs
I entered them as HS or Other. See my example above

Members don't see this ad :)
how long are you guys making your descriptions for the work/activities?

also, (stupid question warning) are you guys writing in first person?

different adcoms have said different things. obviously it first depends on the activity. personal anecdote on this experience is as goes:

I wrote really really short toolish phrases for description last year. Like for my TA experience I wrote: was a TA for X Y Z classes, thats it. I thought all applicants were the same and they would make correct assumptions and that I would atleast have a chance to explain in interviews. When I got to the interview stage, my interviewers seemed more curious about my activities. So after a couple of interviews, I wrote long-detailed description of EACH of my activities as update letters and sent them to schools. Now I'm sure some schools don't like update letters or reading long notes, however I got a few interviews after that.

When I got to one of my interviews, the person was also in the ADCOM. He told me that I didn't write much at all for my ECs and that was primarily what they read. He then told me that my update letter was what got me an interview.

Sooo.. I guess if I HAD to do it, I would write better, passionate, and exciting descriptions. Nothing too long. Not many experiences deserve all of the 1350 character limit, but if you cured cancer, go for it. However, I would not hit the Awards tab, write down Merit Scholarship, and do a play by play of my PSAT exam experience.

Treat it like an exam that you can review everyday until Jun whatever to make it perfect and effective.

you do not need a transcript from hs
I entered them as HS or Other. See my example above

ok, so on the year, do you put the year you took the AP exam or your freshaman year?

for example, on my transcript, under the Transfer Credits section, it says

AP 2006: and lists all my Ap exams and just says TT for grade (transfer credit)

ok, so on the year, do you put the year you took the AP exam or your freshaman year?

for example, on my transcript, under the Transfer Credits section, it says

AP 2006: and lists all my Ap exams and just says TT for grade (transfer credit)

put the year you entered college. if you entered Fall 2006, 2006.

different adcoms have said different things. obviously it first depends on the activity. personal anecdote on this experience is as goes:

I wrote really really short toolish phrases for description last year. Like for my TA experience I wrote: was a TA for X Y Z classes, thats it. I thought all applicants were the same and they would make correct assumptions and that I would atleast have a chance to explain in interviews. When I got to the interview stage, my interviewers seemed more curious about my activities. So after a couple of interviews, I wrote long-detailed description of EACH of my activities as update letters and sent them to schools. Now I'm sure some schools don't like update letters or reading long notes, however I got a few interviews after that.

When I got to one of my interviews, the person was also in the ADCOM. He told me that I didn't write much at all for my ECs and that was primarily what they read. He then told me that my update letter was what got me an interview.

Sooo.. I guess if I HAD to do it, I would write better, passionate, and exciting descriptions. Nothing too long. Not many experiences deserve all of the 1350 character limit, but if you cured cancer, go for it. However, I would not hit the Awards tab, write down Merit Scholarship, and do a play by play of my PSAT exam experience.
Treat it like an exam that you can review everyday until Jun whatever to make it perfect and effective.

And so I entered the conference room with 40 other kids. I was a bit nervous, yes I admit it. But I also knew deep down in my heart that I had prepared my entire life for this moment. My mom gave me a big thumbs up as I entered the room. There was no fear, there was only me. I let fear pass through and out of me.
I told myself, "I CAN DO THIS!!!!"

As I worked each question after each question, I could feel my pulse throbbing. These questions were so much easier than what I expected. Images of my past practice exams and studying methods flashed through my mind in a blur...

Not like this right, witness?:D

Bah, that is sooo ridiculous!:(

If it's on the official transcript, though, you're kind of stuck with it.:oops:

Yeah that sucks! I called AMCAS and I have to put it down...

Same with me! I passed my Calc AB though, but transcript still lists it with 0 credits earned.:confused:
lol at least in your case it makes sense since you had passed the exam

For those wondering, I also asked them about the grade for AP exams and the rep told me to leave it blank and just ignore the red message that pops up. Hope this helps!

does anyone have a condensed list of what kinds of LoRs each medical school requires or recommends? Or will I have to look up each school individually?

I have a link that someone posted here some time ago that has this condensed list, but it is from 2005.

does anyone have a condensed list of what kinds of LoRs each medical school requires or recommends? Or will I have to look up each school individually?

I have a link that someone posted here some time ago that has this condensed list, but it is from 2005.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/lettersrequirements.pdf

for that you will have to do one by one clicking. 2005 list is still fairly accurate, I assume. People on SDN are all anal like a guy on guy adult movie. Rule of thumb that covers almost all bases are:

Committee packet letters + PI/Employer Letters or
2 Science Prof/1 Humanities Prof/PIs/One MD letter should cover everything

except for like a couple of schools that might want like a friend letter, if there are any

P.S. Is it ok to send transcripts now? Is there a date that AMCAS will only accept them after?

Thanks guys!

Yes, send them now. Better they have them by the time you submit than you have to wait to be put in line for verification because they don't have them yet.

You list them as your freshman year because your HIGH SCHOOL is not offering you college credit for them, your college chooses to honor those grades and give you transfer credit for them. Thus, you list them as your freshman year. You do not need a transcript from high school, because it won't show any college credit on your high school transcript, only that you took the class to prepare you for the AP exam.

Apparently the people in my Record's office have trouble with this concept too... I don't want my AP scores mailed to AMCAS, I want what you gave me for those scores. AP can't provide me that, because each college awards something different. I really hate people sometimes.

In general....

1 committee letter
-OR-
1 non-science
2 science

If you're taking the second option, at least one of those letters should be from a professor in your major; if you majored in biology, one of your science letters should be from a biology professor, and if you majored in geography, your non-science letter should be from a geography professor.

If you have already graduated, you should also get a letter from wherever you're working. If you've done research, you should probably get a letter from your PI. If you're applying DO, you should probably have a letter from a DO physician.

Most schools accept that. I think there was 1 I was considering applying to that required 1 chem, 1 bio, and 1 physics letter, but that was out of the norm.

Is MD shadowing letter really necessary? I already have 4 science letters, 1 non-science, and 1 PI letter.:confused:

Is MD shadowing letter really necessary? I already have 4 science letters, 1 non-science, and 1 PI letter.:confused:

No, with very few exceptions (University of Utah, for instance).

In most cases, all it says is "BlueElmo was here." Although, if you have a really strong one that also says "...and he loves the patriots," that might be a little more useful.

No, with very few exceptions (University of Utah, for instance).

VCU also, apparently.

so I entered like 15 and still have a few more...

any recommendations on what owuld be better?

-social chair of prehealth organization or volunteer english teaching in DR for a week or worldbank nonmedically related internship?

javascript:editExp(2401857);

so I entered like 15 and still have a few more...

any recommendations on what owuld be better?

-social chair of prehealth organization or volunteer english teaching in DR for a week or worldbank nonmedically related internship?

javascript:editExp(2401857);

Volunteer english teacher or worldbank.:thumbup: Everyone and his/her mother are somehow related to prehealth clubs.

I'm leaning toward teaching, though, unless you have other teaching experiences that you can group together.

VCU also, apparently.

Per what I read on SDN, VCU asked for a letter last year from someone who knew you in a clinical setting, but I asked people on the VCU thread if anyone had any trouble with the standard "2 sci, 1 non sci" letters, and they didn't even seem to know that it was a requirement, so I don't know...

If anyone is interested, read the VCU secondary thread, in the early posts, for this info.

I may contact VCU to get the low down...I am applying, and have no MD or clinical setting letter, and will not have one...

In most cases, all it says is "BlueElmo was here." Although, if you have a really strong one that also says "...and he loves the patriots," that might be a little more useful.

:laugh:. Thanks!

let me see what i can do..

the thing is i dont even have neough to put the deans list stuff...wont they see that on my transcript?

also if I was social chair for 3 organizations 2 cultural and 1 prehealth ( can i Just group all of these into one?

Per what I read on SDN, VCU asked for a letter last year from someone who knew you in a clinical setting, but I asked people on the VCU thread if anyone had any trouble with the standard "2 sci, 1 non sci" letters, and they didn't even seem to know that it was a requirement, so I don't know...

If anyone is interested, read the VCU secondary thread, in the early posts, for this info.

I may contact VCU to get the low down...I am applying, and have no MD or clinical setting letter, and will not have one...

One of my friends who got in said that her interviewer or an adcom member had mentioned the letter being an important component, so I really have no idea. A lot of people from my school ended up heading that way... still can't figure out why they hate me.:laugh:

note: I didn't mean that a MD was necessary. I was just saying that if you do not want to go through a list of necessary letters for each school a collection of 2 sci/1 humanities/PI-Employer/MD would definitely set you up for all schools if you have the choice.

I would clump all awards in that category and all shadowing experience in one. I also clumped my pubs in one presentations in one (I would rather do them together, but oh well), as well as having a short sentence in my research attributing them. I also had to put my teaching experiences in one since I was a TA for 5 classes and a private tutor and **** just gets redundant and boring.

either teaching in DR or worldbank. Worldbank sounds like a bigger commitment. Wouldn't you rather add both? You already have 15 things?

Thanks Myuu!:thumbup:

So about the AP grades, do I leave the grade section blank or put in "P"? My transcript doesn't say grades, only how many credits I earned.

My transcript lists the names of AP classes I got credit for, and in the spot for grade it says TR, so I'm putting it down as "transfer" credit. SO that's another option.

this is what i have so far...

should i group the bio chem and tumorgenesis lab expeirence togehter?

or should I just not mention the global health conference volunteering thing?

and also..how do you organize it so that all research is together? I tried to do it, but i orders it like it wants and not the way I put in the entries if that makes sense..

i guess my last one will be WB?

also, the other problem is that my majors pogram was an honors program..but i did research accompanying it..should i put this under research or awards?

Biochemistry Lab Experience

Tumorgenesis Lab Experience

Emergency Department Vounteer

Clinical Shadowing Experience

Summer Medical Dental Education Program

1 Premed Org. Social Chair/ 2 Cultural Org. Program Chair

Nursing Home Activities Volunteer

Socioeconomic Development Project Associate

Global Health Conference Panel Volunteer

Distinguished Majors Program Scholar Thesis

HIV/AIDS and other Health Related Research

International Volunteer English Teacher

Education and Program Services Associate

HIV/AIDS Outreach Volunteer

Sweet, thanks. That's almost enough to make up for that bum you have for an avatar :smuggrin:
Sorry, couldn't let this one slide. Bill Belichick is a genius, how could you dispute that?

this is what i have so far...

should i group the bio chem and tumorgenesis lab expeirence togehter?

or should I just not mention the global health conference volunteering thing?

and also..how do you organize it so that all research is together? I tried to do it, but i orders it like it wants and not the way I put in the entries if that makes sense..

i guess my last one will be WB?

also, the other problem is that my majors pogram was an honors program..but i did research accompanying it..should i put this under research or awards?

Biochemistry Lab Experience

Tumorgenesis Lab Experience

Emergency Department Vounteer

Clinical Shadowing Experience

Summer Medical Dental Education Program

1 Premed Org. Social Chair/ 2 Cultural Org. Program Chair

Nursing Home Activities Volunteer

Socioeconomic Development Project Associate

Global Health Conference Panel Volunteer

Distinguished Majors Program Scholar Thesis

HIV/AIDS and other Health Related Research

International Volunteer English Teacher

Education and Program Services Associate

HIV/AIDS Outreach Volunteer

Last year it was organized by date.:thumbup: Can your research experiences by combined at all?

thanks!

thats why it wasnt bunching up like i wanted it to lol! =)

Last year it was organized by date.:thumbup: Can your research experiences by combined at all?

It still is organized by date - but just by the start date of the activity.
I'm also a big proponent of bunching!
:luck:

yay i think i finally got all of them to fit..

i jsut put the majors programs under hte honors..and put all the info there..they will figure it out im sure..

Wait, we can enter in our activities any order we want right?

Also, I volunteered at this place in 2006-2008 but only during summers. They only have start and end dates on AMCAS though.

Should I enter in Jan. 2006- December 2008 and then give exact dates in the 1325 summary section?

Also, I volunteered at this place in 2006-2008 but only during summers. They only have start and end dates on AMCAS though.

Should I enter in Jan. 2006- December 2008 and then give exact dates in the 1325 summary section?
Sounds like your best option. I'd do it that way

is there anyone not listing their deans list stuff? or is there anyone that grouped deans list with anything else?

wont they see it on transcript..and is it even considered a big deal at all?

is there anyone not listing their deans list stuff? or is there anyone that grouped deans list with anything else?

wont they see it on transcript..and is it even considered a big deal at all?

According to LizzyM in the 2009 thread, deans list is seen as a major fluff, as most people applying are on it. If it is 100% based on GPA, don't bother listing it.

Wait, we can enter in our activities any order we want right?

Also according to LizzyM and other peeps in last year's thread, it is misleading to adcoms to say you did something for three years, and then they see it was just a total of 9 months. If possible, it's best to put it separately. If you can't, maybe you can list one summer in the dates, and then say that you did it two other summers as well. They'll read it.

This may be a dumb question, but...under which heading do you list shadowing experiences? "Other"? And do you lump them all together, or separate them out by doctor? So far I only have 3 different doctors, but I'm planning on getting more, so I'm assuming I'll run out of space if I separate them...

This may be a dumb question, but...under which heading do you list shadowing experiences? "Other"? And do you lump them all together, or separate them out by doctor? So far I only have 3 different doctors, but I'm planning on getting more, so I'm assuming I'll run out of space if I separate them...

I feel like i'm quoting LizzyM a lot lately, but it's because I trust her judgment. She said that its def. okay to group shadowing experiences, unless one is super extensive and you have like a billion+ hours. (ok, that last part is my interpretation)

thats wut i figured..

deans list is not going on there!

yaya im done with the activities portion..

i dont liek that we cant see all of the descriptions togehter...

So is the consensus not to include Dean's/President's list? Dang, that was 1/8 of my work/activities

If i send in my primary application without letters of recommendation, will i still be verified as complete and recieve my secondaries from schools with NO delay?

Is any using bullets for the explanation section. Im not sure whether to do it in paragraphs or use dashes. What do you guys think?

If i send in my primary application without letters of recommendation, will i still be verified as complete and recieve my secondaries from schools with NO delay?

Yes, it will be verified-I just called the AMCAS people about that today. Your transcripts and stuff get verified-not the letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.