* * 2009-2010 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imlost

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fully aware that Engineering is counted toward science gpa, but what type of engineering are we talking about the ones with physics involved? I have a Mechanic class in the MEC department, but its more in line of how things work, such as refrigerator, microwave and etc. With the course name everyday science. I don't know if that is considered engineering or correlates with science gpa

Members don't see this ad.

I am fully aware that Engineering is counted toward science gpa, but what type of engineering are we talking about the ones with physics involved? I have a Mechanic class in the MEC department, but its more in line of how things work, such as refrigerator, microwave and etc. With the course name everyday science. I don't know if that is considered engineering or correlates with science gpa

That would be other science, wouldn't it?

Pretty sure you are correct Jpc. When the new aacomas application opens in May, there will be instructions explaining which category each class goes into. The categories are bio/zoology, inorganic chem, organic chem, physics, other science, behavioral science, other non-science, math, english, and biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I am confused is it considered as other science since I don't really know if it is considered as engineering course, but it is in that department though.

I don't know what else it would be considered. I think physics only includes classes labeled as physics.

You wouldn't happen to go to Stony Brook University...would you? I took MEC104 my freshman year and it was exactly the class you are describing...When I filled out my apps...I put is as an engineering or other science...I don't think it was counted in my science GPA...

yup I go to Stony dang not counted as science :(

My engineering courses all counted as other science and were included in the science GPA; whch included two projects and presentation type of courses. I would assume if it is in the engineering department it would be other science and included in the science GPA.

I say if it sounds like science, and the grade is good, try to slip it in as a science. They'll let you know if it's not.

hmm.... what about computer science or math courses (I was a major in one and a minors in the other)

hmm.... what about computer science or math courses (I was a major in one and a minors in the other)

You're screwed. In AACOMAS, CS counts as math; math doesn't count as science.

Apply to TX schools if you want science credit for CS.

As the upcoming application cycle nears I have been compiling lists of orgs, committees, and experiences. I came across a problem. While in High School I was in the National Ski Patrol for three years, but had to stop due to the vast time commitment that was required of me to continue. This by the way has been my motivating factor to continue into the medical field. My question is should I only enter things that I was involved in during the past 3 years as an undergrad or can I use this on my applications? :confused:

I used alot of stuff from high school and I received interviews to both of the places I applied to. I guess as long as you didn't just stop doing ECs, volunteering, and job shadowing when you got into college, it is alright to put it on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Traditional advice I have heard is not to use high school stuff in your list of activities unless it has carried over into your undergrad...but of course you should write about it in the primary essay, secondaries or wherever you feel like it since it has influenced your career choice..

Thank you for replying. I think Ill just write my personal statement about it or use it for a secondary essay.

As the upcoming application cycle nears I have been compiling lists of orgs, committees, and experiences. I came across a problem. While in High School I was in the National Ski Patrol for three years, but had to stop due to the vast time commitment that was required of me to continue. This by the way has been my motivating factor to continue into the medical field. My question is should I only enter things that I was involved in during the past 3 years as an undergrad or can I use this on my applications? :confused:

You can use it in your application as long as it fits in with your overall experience after you went to college (so if you continued doing Ski Patrol while you were in college, then it's definitely a good idea to use it). As long as it reflects you in a way that reflects positively in the ADCOMs view.

Personally, I would think that if it helps your application, then include it regardless of the period.

For instance, I included scouting, aviation, and working in an animal hospital as a kid. Scouting relates with many other Eagles and can help to being a closer bond with an interviewer. When I interviewed at NSU, for example, an interviewer/fellow pilot at the other side of the country had routinely flown out of the airport that I trained at...we chatted it up about how expensive flying was...we ultimately got out of flying for preciously the same reason =) Working in the animal hospital, even though I haven't done that for about 10 years now, illustrated my exposure to medicine at an early age. That being said, I didn't mention my summer job at Pearle Vision as a fabricator/lens cutter, Lasertag, and a few odd computer programming jobs.

Don't feel confined to use it in a PS or secondary...listing it on your app can free your PS/Secondary to what is most powerful and relevant to your app. All schools will see your app...your secondary may not even address what you plan on mentioning. Something more relevant for the school may come up and you could lose your opportunity...

Last edited:
HI! I was wondering if people knew if a class in the department of Environmental Science and Policy Management would be considered a science?? I HOPE NOT because i was going to use that as my non-science lor.. =(

HI! I was wondering if people knew if a class in the department of Environmental Science and Policy Management would be considered a science?? I HOPE NOT because i was going to use that as my non-science lor.. =(

That had me wondering too. Does Intro. to Environmental Science count as a science or non-science course? Environmental classes were mentioned on AMCAS but I did not notice any on AACOMAS.

Also, I took a course called Geology of National Parks. It was a 6-credit course taught by a geology professor. However, it wasn't a GEOL course, it was GNM (General Natural sciences and Mathematics). We traveled to several different national parks last summer and learned about their rock formations. (It was awesome). Do you think this will count as a science course? I know Geology counts for AACOMAS sciGPA, but will this since it is not from the Geology department?

You need to check out the list of subjects that apply to the science GPA in AACOMAS. If you are having trouble figuring out any ambiguous course, no one here can give you a straight answer; it would be best to contact AACOMAS directly. :)

My personal take, however, is that neither of those classes will count towards the science GPA, but if you want to mark them as science anyway, maybe you can get away with it. ;)

So I was happily filling out the AACOMAS when I realized...

It hasn't opened yet for the year I'm applying for (2010). I was filling out the 2008/09 AACOMAS that was still available for the schools that have really late deadlines. The funny thing is when I opened it I was like, "that's funny, it seems really early for this to be open... oh well"

Maybe it's just because I'm a sort of non-traditional student and my sense of timing isn't calibrated to everyone else's or something, but I spent an hour and a half listing every class I ever took before I realized what I was doing.

Moral of the story: make sure you check that you're filling out the application for the correct year.

Also my apologies if this is completely obvious to everyone on earth except me.

sometimes being way too early could be a bad thing. Before people react...this is a true story. I spoke to a senior level admission committee member for a D.O. school... to remain nameless... that all the applications they recieve on the first day to submit the aacomas were promptly "trashed"... i was so shocked by this. It did not apply to me because my aacomas wasn't verified until november, but this really threw me. I looked up his name and sure enough he was a high level faculty at the school. Maybe submit on the second day. Oh, by the way, I did apply to the school and he told me that I would never get an interview my the stats I had.... which are average, not great, so I withdrew my application to the school

sometimes being way too early could be a bad thing. Before people react...this is a true story. I spoke to a senior level admission committee member for a D.O. school... to remain nameless... that all the applications they recieve on the first day to submit the aacomas were promptly "trashed"... i was so shocked by this. It did not apply to me because my aacomas wasn't verified until november, but this really threw me. I looked up his name and sure enough he was a high level faculty at the school. Maybe submit on the second day. Oh, by the way, I did apply to the school and he told me that I would never get an interview my the stats I had.... which are average, not great, so I withdrew my application to the school

Wow that's really weird. Which school was it?

Wow, that's really strange. I'll have to ask the admissions guy at my top choice if they do that.

it is really strange. I am hesistant to list the school, because it is one of the most respected. The faculty member came to my university to talk from the urging of two of my former classmates who are currently enrolled there and doing well..... when he told me.... i was like "what?"!!! he told me that we don't want the kind of people that apply on day one. Personally, I would think they would be ideal because they might be more prepared than others.

it is really strange. I am hesistant to list the school, because it is one of the most respected. The faculty member came to my university to talk from the urging of two of my former classmates who are currently enrolled there and doing well..... when he told me.... i was like "what?"!!! he told me that we don't want the kind of people that apply on day one. Personally, I would think they would be ideal because they might be more prepared than others.

... seems a near insane thing to do/position for an admissions office to take. So much so that it's probably not true.

I'm sure the adcom was just using hyperbole to accent how neurotic pre-meds are!

I just e-mailed the admissions director at my top-choice school (I've talked to him a few times in other contexts too so I think it's appropriate to e-mail him) asking if they do anything like this or if he's heard of it. I'll let you all know what he says.

I probably would not believe it if I did not hear it myself. Don't worry artvandelay it was not your school. I visited pcom-ga and really was impressed and it is in a great location. I had a tough choice choosing Lmu dcom over pcom ga but I would be happy at either school

This notion that a school threw out tens or hundreds of applications because "they didn't want the kind of applicants that would apply on day 1" is absolutely ridiculous. If anyone reading this wants to base when to submit AACOMAS on some unverified, illogical, hearsay nonsense, that's their prerogative :rolleyes:.

However, I think most of us can appreciate when facts are discussed. If you don't care to reveal the name of this alleged school so that this notion can be verified, then you are merely propagating a counterproductive rumor and doing a disservice to all of us.

This notion that a school threw out tens or hundreds of applications because "they didn't want the kind of applicants that would apply on day 1" is absolutely ridiculous. If anyone reading this wants to base when to submit AACOMAS on some unverified, illogical, hearsay nonsense, that's their prerogative :rolleyes:.

However, I think most of us can appreciate when facts are discussed. If you don't care to reveal the name of this alleged school so that this notion can be verified, then you are merely propagating a counterproductive rumor and doing a disservice to all of us.
+pissed+
Dang C-bear....kinda militant for you! :smuggrin:

can i getta AMEN?

Ha! :rolleyes: I call BS

I understand that no one believe my statements... i think it was made clear about 3 times. I honestly would not believe it if I had not experienced it and if you look through my post history I have not posted anything remotely controversial before. For the sake of the person who created the thread... stop bashing me...... and help someone.... i doesn't hurt my feelings. It is just sad that people before me have obviously fabricated stories my makes mine a tall-tail to everyone.:beat::beat::beat:

I just got an e-mail back from the director of admissions at my top-choice school. Here's a c&p:

"I have never heard of that practice. We certainly do not abide by that approach."

Straight from the horse's mouth.

.. who is willing to email all the admission committees? :]

I heard that the way adcom's pick people to interview is by pasting the applications to the wall, downing an irish carbomb, and throwing darts. The applications that they hit would be thrown out, cause its just plain silly to pick with drunken darts.

They also throw out applications with GPAs over 3.8. Who needs those nerdy overachievers?

Apparently half of them also throw out the applications of chemical engineering majors from New York...

Hey guys, I just got my score back from Jan31st test( PS 8/BS9/VR10/ O (27 O)):(. I came in with a very weak physics knowledge which is rather clear from my score. My undergrad GPA is a 3.4, I'm a biology major undergrad, and am currently doing a masters in biology. I have been researching breast cancer for a little over a year, for this I have received 2 small grants, and have presented at undergraduate conferences (2). As far as other stuff I'm a lab technician, a biology tutor, and I teach biology at my college ( the low bio score is due to the orgo section). My grad GPA is a 4.0. I initially wanted the MD route, but that was before I started reading about DO. I think DO is a great option, I wanted to know if I would be competetive for DO schools. Also I cant seem to find anything in regards to DOs going into oncology and wanted to know if this specialty was available for DO. Aside from that, any extra advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

progress.gif

When we are entering information into AACOMAS, will we need to also include the addresses of jobs/volunteer activities??

Would you all consider being a peer facilitator as leadership experience??? I know that there isn't a specific section of the application that asks for leadership experience, but I know it is looked upon as important and am hoping for this to count as that.

Ok thanks!

Should be competitive, apply everywhere, some place should bite :)

Oh and figure out a good reason why you want to be a DO. That should help on your application and on the interview trail.

Yes, you can do oncology. We have a DO oncologist coming to speak to us this week at our school.

Hey guys, I just got my score back from Jan31st test( PS 8/BS9/VR10/ O (27 O)):(. I came in with a very weak physics knowledge which is rather clear from my score. My undergrad GPA is a 3.4, I'm a biology major undergrad, and am currently doing a masters in biology. I have been researching breast cancer for a little over a year, for this I have received 2 small grants, and have presented at undergraduate conferences (2). As far as other stuff I'm a lab technician, a biology tutor, and I teach biology at my college ( the low bio score is due to the orgo section). My grad GPA is a 4.0. I initially wanted the MD route, but that was before I started reading about DO. I think DO is a great option, I wanted to know if I would be competetive for DO schools. Also I cant seem to find anything in regards to DOs going into oncology and wanted to know if this specialty was available for DO. Aside from that, any extra advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

progress.gif

Thank you, I surely will do that once applications are open. The main reason I liked DO is rather simple, in the end of the day I want to be a physician, DO provides that option with the same knowledge base as MD plus OMT/OMM. As far as I always looked at it the more things you know the better thus DO seems like a wonderfoul route.

I really like UMDNJ does do you guys know what their stats are in terms of GPA and MCAT?

Sorry for all the questions but I just started learning about the DO schools so now I'm just in search in the max amount of info...

Thank you, I surely will do that once applications are open. The main reason I liked DO is rather simple, in the end of the day I want to be a physician, DO provides that option with the same knowledge base as MD plus OMT/OMM. As far as I always looked at it the more things you know the better thus DO seems like a wonderfoul route.

I really like UMDNJ does do you guys know what their stats are in terms of GPA and MCAT?

Sorry for all the questions but I just started learning about the DO schools so now I'm just in search in the max amount of info...

Use the search function--most of your questions have answers around here. :)

There's a thread with GPA and MCAT info that's linked to in the FAQ thread that's "stickied" at the top of the pre-osteo forum. Let me know if you can't find it. I'd link to it, but if you explore a little, I think you'll benefit more. :D

Thank you Chocolate bear, I found the thread among other useful ones. Much appreciated :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

UMDNJ cracks me up. I think the admissions director is cool, I've met her a few times, been on tour, it's the only other school I was really gunning for beside my #1, and I *still* haven't heard from them. lol. I went ahead and sent in my secondary back in October, I think.

UMDNJ cracks me up. I think the admissions director is cool, I've met her a few times, been on tour, it's the only other school I was really gunning for beside my #1, and I *still* haven't heard from them. lol. I went ahead and sent in my secondary back in October, I think.

LOL that's a long time. I was just on the UMDNJ-SOM thread and someone told me that they don't screen so you should send your secondary as soon as the primary is confirmed. Juudging by that it seems like it would take a while to work through all those apps

Are retakes only calculated once as the better grade?
Do math classes count, Stats and calc?
If retakes are only calculated once does it make sense to retake several classes to boost a science gpa, even Bs?

oh, also does the board count +/- on grades, like b+, or just the grade letter, so a b+ is a B