* * 2009-2010 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are retakes only calculated once as the better grade?
Do math classes count, Stats and calc?
If retakes are only calculated once does it make sense to retake several classes to boost a science gpa, even Bs?

-Retakes are calculated as the most recent attempt, not the best one.
-Math courses are not included in your science GPA, but do count in your overall gpa.
-You should only retake things you scored a C- or lower in. I'm also not sure about your question ... you can retake as many courses as you want, and the new grade will replace the old one for every course taken. It would make sense to retake low grade classes to boost sci gpa, but retaking a B seems a bit obsessive.
-Yes, +/- are calculated the same way as AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

-Retakes are calculated as the most recent attempt, not the best one.
-Math courses are not included in your science GPA, but do count in your overall gpa.
-You should only retake things you scored a C- or lower in. I'm also not sure about your question ... you can retake as many courses as you want, and the new grade will replace the old one for every course taken. It would make sense to retake low grade classes to boost sci gpa, but retaking a B seems a bit obsessive.
-Yes, +/- are calculated the same way as AMCAS.
What!?!?!? Are you freakin kidding me!?!?!?! They only count the most recent attempt? OMG I had no idea! Im so happy right now!! My GPA just went up by 0.3!!! AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! :D:D:D:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

What!?!?!? Are you freakin kidding me!?!?!?! They only count the most recent attempt? OMG I had no idea! Im so happy right now!! My GPA just went up by 0.3!!! AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! :D:D:D:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yup. No averaging like AMCAS. It doesn't make as big of a difference in the long run as you'd think. Most people graduate with 150-200 (based on what I know) units, and retaking 5-10 of them for a better grade usually doesn't turn the 3.0 into a 3.8 ... but it's nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:

I was on the AACOM website today and noticed the new CIB was up. I was curious if anyone had access to it and could post it? I know CB has the '09 one in his signature but I did not know if someone had the new one. I know, I know, $12 is less than half of a AMCAS practice MCAT but I am really trying to save money. Thanks everyone and good luck!

Hi everyone,

Umm..I want to apply for Fall 2010. Can I start filling in the application from aacom.org as of now? or do I wait until May or June to do so?

Also, I want to apply to a few allopathic schools. Again, should I wait to fill out the applications?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Umm..I want to apply for Fall 2010. Can I start filling in the application from aacom.org as of now? or do I wait until May or June to do so?

Also, I want to apply to a few allopathic schools. Again, should I wait to fill out the applications?

Thanks.

The 2010 app hasn't come out yet, so don't waste your time right now. You'll lose any info you put in when the new one is released in May.

You can't fill out the MD application until May/June, either.

Work on your PS and your LORs in the meantime. :thumbup:

Moving to the AACOMAS Questions thread.

The 2010 app hasn't come out yet, so don't waste your time right now. You'll lose any info you put in when the new one is released in May.

You can't fill out the MD application until May/June, either.

Work on your PS and your LORs in the meantime. :thumbup:

Thank you very much!

I was on the AACOM website today and noticed the new CIB was up. I was curious if anyone had access to it and could post it? I know CB has the '09 one in his signature but I did not know if someone had the new one. I know, I know, $12 is less than half of a AMCAS practice MCAT but I am really trying to save money. Thanks everyone and good luck!

Whoa I didn't even know it was out yet--thanks for the heads up!

If they don't release it for free, I'm going to be a little irritated. Most questions about applying can be answered from the CIB, and it sounds like they made some very important additions this year. Good for them and good for us, but charging for it??!! Come on...don't be like that, AACOM!! :smuggrin:

Yea, it seems pretty silly to charge for it. But I think the CIB costs roughly half of what I paid for my MSAR...

Although, from the numbers I've seen thrown around here in terms of total application $$$, it seems like a drop in the ever-expanding bucket that is my future indebtedness.

But hey, I'm not doing it for the money, right? And maybe they'll let me fill part of the bucket with tears?? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, it seems pretty silly to charge for it. But I think the CIB costs roughly half of what I paid for my MSAR...

Although, from the numbers I've seen thrown around here in terms of total application $$$, it seems like a drop in the ever-expanding bucket that is my future indebtedness.

But hey, I'm not doing it for the money, right? And maybe they'll let me fill part of the bucket with tears?? :)

You'll want to drink plenty of fluids before you sign that first loan document before M-1. Dehydration kills. :D

Whoa I didn't even know it was out yet--thanks for the heads up!

If they don't release it for free, I'm going to be a little irritated. Most questions about applying can be answered from the CIB, and it sounds like they made some very important additions this year. Good for them and good for us, but charging for it??!! Come on...don't be like that, AACOM!! :smuggrin:

CB, do you have any more information on what important additions there may be? Or just a hunch? Thanks!

CB, do you have any more information on what important additions there may be? Or just a hunch? Thanks!

http://www.aacom.org/resources/ome/2009-03/Pages/cib.aspx

AACOM is pleased to announce the release of this year's College Information Book, which has been expanded to cover a wealth of important, timely topics, including international practice rights, osteopathic graduate education, residency and matches, board examinations and licensure and more.

quick question - lets say you took an english writing workshop course and you got a C, and then took another english course called english composition at another school and got an A

Even though both are the same classes but have different names, can you replace the english composition grade of A with that of the writing workshop grade of C?

Will the centralized application people need proof it was the same course?

quick question - lets say you took an english writing workshop course and you got a C, and then took another english course called english composition at another school and got an A

Even though both are the same classes but have different names, can you replace the english composition grade of A with that of the writing workshop grade of C?

Will the centralized application people need proof it was the same course?

If it was the equivalent, freshman english course, then it's fine. It's up to you to mark them as equivalent, but if they think you're wrong, they'll tell you, and you'll have to prove it. Many instances of courses with very different titles with no question by AACOMAS abound, so you'll probably be fine.

How do you prove it? Will they ask for a syllabus or something?

Hey all!

I have been reading AACOMAS stuff for the past couple of hours and I have a few questions:

I am scheduled to take the MCAT 5/1, however I have thought about pushing it back to the 5/28 date if I am not ready in the next 5 weeks. The only dilemma I had was that I would not be the earliest batch of applicants getting verified.

However, it seems that the "waiting in line" we're all going to have to do for getting verified hinges on 1) Finishing the app, 2) Paying the $$$, and 3) Having all transcripts received.

If I am correct, then pushing my MCAT date back 27 days will not hurt my chances of getting verified early because my score report is not necessary to "get in line." Along with that, it takes roughly 3-6 weeks to get verified anyway, so my verification would almost coincide with my MCAT score release anyway.

Are these accurate statements? After reading last years verification and AACOMAS threads info starts to blur together. Thanks again.

On a side note: Last year people were getting "verified" by receiving secondaries before their AACOMAS status changed (LECOM comes to mind, but I'm not certain) is there a chance this will happen again? Sorry if I am jumping the gun. I'd rather prepare for the cluster f*** then have it catch me off guard.

EDIT: I just realized the earliest I could push back my date is June 18th. But my question still applies.

Last edited:
If it was the equivalent, freshman english course, then it's fine. It's up to you to mark them as equivalent, but if they think you're wrong, they'll tell you, and you'll have to prove it. Many instances of courses with very different titles with no question by AACOMAS abound, so you'll probably be fine.

What if I redid this:
PHY 2060 Enriched Physics with Calculus 1
Credits: 3; Prereq: instructor permission; Coreq: MAC 2312 or the equivalent.
First of the enriched sequence for physics majors and others wishing a deeper understanding of mechanics, kinematics, conservation laws, harmonic motion, central forces and special relativity.

by taking this?
PHY 2048 Physics with Calculus 1
Credits: 3; Prereq: high-school physics or PHY 2020 or the equivalent. and MAC 2311; Coreq: MAC 2312.
The first of a two-semester sequence of physics for scientists and engineers. The course covers Newtonian mechanics and includes motion, vectors, Newton's laws, work and conservation of energy, systems of particles, collisions, equilibrium, oscillations and waves.

They're both versions of Physics with Calculus 1, and you can switch from the 2060 version to the 2048 version (which basically covers the same material in a simpler way) at any point, whether it be in the middle of the semester or between physics 1 and physics 2.

Hey all!

I have been reading AACOMAS stuff for the past couple of hours and I have a few questions:

I am scheduled to take the MCAT 5/1, however I have thought about pushing it back to the 5/28 date if I am not ready in the next 5 weeks. The only dilemma I had was that I would not be the earliest batch of applicants getting verified.

However, it seems that the "waiting in line" we're all going to have to do for getting verified hinges on 1) Finishing the app, 2) Paying the $$$, and 3) Having all transcripts received.

If I am correct, then pushing my MCAT date back 27 days will not hurt my chances of getting verified early because my score report is not necessary to "get in line." Along with that, it takes roughly 3-6 weeks to get verified anyway, so my verification would almost coincide with my MCAT score release anyway.

Are these accurate statements? After reading last years verification and AACOMAS threads info starts to blur together. Thanks again.

On a side note: Last year people were getting "verified" by receiving secondaries before their AACOMAS status changed (LECOM comes to mind, but I'm not certain) is there a chance this will happen again? Sorry if I am jumping the gun. I'd rather prepare for the cluster f*** then have it catch me off guard.

EDIT: I just realized the earliest I could push back my date is June 18th. But my question still applies.

Your thoughts are correct. About getting secondaries...most schools won't be ready to send them right after receiving the very first batch of apps. Many schools didn't start sending them until Sept/Oct.

What if I redid this:
PHY 2060 Enriched Physics with Calculus 1
Credits: 3; Prereq: instructor permission; Coreq: MAC 2312 or the equivalent.
First of the enriched sequence for physics majors and others wishing a deeper understanding of mechanics, kinematics, conservation laws, harmonic motion, central forces and special relativity.

by taking this?
PHY 2048 Physics with Calculus 1
Credits: 3; Prereq: high-school physics or PHY 2020 or the equivalent. and MAC 2311; Coreq: MAC 2312.
The first of a two-semester sequence of physics for scientists and engineers. The course covers Newtonian mechanics and includes motion, vectors, Newton's laws, work and conservation of energy, systems of particles, collisions, equilibrium, oscillations and waves.

They're both versions of Physics with Calculus 1, and you can switch from the 2060 version to the 2048 version (which basically covers the same material in a simpler way) at any point, whether it be in the middle of the semester or between physics 1 and physics 2.

Well, I don't work for AACOM, but I'd bet you'll be fine. If for some reason they question it, I doubt you'd have any problems proving your case. Again, though, I don't even know if they make anyone prove anything or how they'd go about it. I'm just speculating on the worst case scenario.

Okay, so my undergraduate institution has had the following GPA system for as long as anyone can remember:
A = 4.0
B+= 3.5
B = 3.0
C+= 2.5
C = 2.0... etc. We didn't have minus grades, so a plus grade was right in between letter grades and it was counted as such.

Starting this summer, we're going to have minus grades. In our university-calculated GPA, all of our old plus grades will be counted as _.5 like they always have been, and our new ones will calculate into our GPA's on the A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3.0, etc scale.

My question is, how will AACOMAS handle this? Will my old plus grades be counted as _.5s, or will they get knocked down to _.3s just like my new plus grades?

Okay, so my undergraduate institution has had the following GPA system for as long as anyone can remember:
A = 4.0
B+= 3.5
B = 3.0
C+= 2.5
C = 2.0... etc. We didn't have minus grades, so a plus grade was right in between letter grades and it was counted as such.

Starting this summer, we're going to have minus grades. In our university-calculated GPA, all of our old plus grades will be counted as _.5 like they always have been, and our new ones will calculate into our GPA's on the A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3.0, etc scale.

My question is, how will AACOMAS handle this? Will my old plus grades be counted as _.5s, or will they get knocked down to _.3s just like my new plus grades?

AACOMAS won't care about how your school used to do things. They'll just knock down your +'s to 0.33's. Sorry. :(

AACOMAS won't care about how your school used to do things. They'll just knock down your +'s to 0.33's. Sorry. :(

Thanks - it's better know now rather than later, at least!

I'm confused about something. Can I send in my transcript before my spring quarter ends (last final is June 11)? I want to submit my app as early as possible. And then do I update it when I get my grades?

I'm confused about something. Can I send in my transcript before my spring quarter ends (last final is June 11)? I want to submit my app as early as possible. And then do I update it when I get my grades?

Exactly. Submit with the grades you have and mark all current and future classes as such. Then when you get the grades you just send AACOMAS new transcripts and I think you login to fill out the new grades to add to your app.

So I have a question about how to enter this EC/volunteer entry. From Oct 2002- Aug 2004 I was a peer-facilitator at a youth empowerment organization; however, prior to being the peer-facilitator I attend the weekly support/social meeting, and some other events starting around Aug. 2000 and in the spring of 2001 I was selected to go to a conference. I am wondering how to enter this? Should I enter it twice, once just saying I was a member, who went to the conference and a second time saying I was peer-facilitator? Thanks!

So I have a question about how to enter this EC/volunteer entry. From Oct 2002- Aug 2004 I was a peer-facilitator at a youth empowerment organization; however, prior to being the peer-facilitator I attend the weekly support/social meeting, and some other events starting around Aug. 2000 and in the spring of 2001 I was selected to go to a conference. I am wondering how to enter this? Should I enter it twice, once just saying I was a member, who went to the conference and a second time saying I was peer-facilitator? Thanks!

It's a matter of opinion, but I think I would just make it one entry, from 8/00-8/04, and encompass everything you did from that time (attended conference, peer facilitator, etc.). I personally wouldn't enter anything twice that would have almost the same title (both would include the name of the Youth Empowerment Org.).

Your goal is to make things clear, impressive, and convenient, so the reviewers can figure out who you are and what you've done quickly, and be wowed enough to invite you to interview. Keep that in mind when you're determining how to proceed for stuff like this, and you'll be golden. :thumbup:

Thanks CB! I just wasn't sure if I have to list a title for what I was and I didn't want it to seem like I was a peer-facilitator for the whole time, when I wasn't.

Thanks CB! I just wasn't sure if I have to list a title for what I was and I didn't want it to seem like I was a peer-facilitator for the whole time, when I wasn't.

I just looked at my app--there's no title, per se, for ECs, but there's an organization name and your title within the org. If you enter it one way and feel like something's not quite right, just try it the other way. Nobody's going to think you're lying or anything. You're just trying to make it clear and concise. :thumbup:

I have transcripts from colleges other than the one I am currently attending. Can I submit them to AACOMAS now, or do I have to wait til the app cycle opens up?

I have transcripts from colleges other than the one I am currently attending. Can I submit them to AACOMAS now, or do I have to wait til the app cycle opens up?

Way to be on top of things! Just wait until the first day they open the new app, register with AACOMAS, and request transcripts from all your schools on that day. That way they know who to associate the transcripts with and they have a file to put all your stuff in.

my school doesnt have +/- only split grades.

A= 4.0
AB= 3.5
B= 3.0
BC = 2.5 .....

how will AACOMAS calculate my GPA then?

my school doesnt have +/- only split grades.

A= 4.0
AB= 3.5
B= 3.0
BC = 2.5 .....

how will AACOMAS calculate my GPA then?

When I worked for my college's graduate admissions office, AB's became B+'s and BC's became C+'s, but AACOMAS may have a different policy. It's best to ask them directly so you know for sure.

With regards to applying early, when is it best to take the MCAT? I am signed up for May 28, but I am contemplating pushing that back? Would that really make me late? Thanks!

I'm going to be retaking a few of the classes I took in college that I didn't do well on (Cs). There are two that I'm going to take online (already talked with the DO schools). I found a distance education course that I can take to replace one of my courses, but the course number is in the 200's and the course I took in college originally was in the 300's. If I take the course in the 200's, would that still count as a retake? The credit numbers are the same.

Yes, it will still count as a retake. The titles of the courses are more important than the numbers. Just mark it as a retake on AACOMAS and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

If one course I took was 4 credits and got a C and I retake the same course (but not the exact same course title name) but it is 3 credits, does that still count as a retake? Do the courses have to be the same or more amount of credits for it to count?

Yes, the retake has to be worth the same amount of credits or more as the original course in order for it to count as a retake. So in the situation you specified, that course will NOT count as a retake. :thumbdown:

Yes, the retake has to be worth the same amount of credits or more as the original course in order for it to count as a retake. So in the situation you specified, that course will NOT count as a retake. :thumbdown:

The subsequent attempts can be GREATER than the original number of credit hours, as well. So >/= is okay, but less than is not.

With regards to applying early, when is it best to take the MCAT? I am signed up for May 28, but I am contemplating pushing that back? Would that really make me late? Thanks!

Lots of schools don't release secondaries until Sept/Oct, and it takes 6 weeks for your primary to be verified. You can submit your primary without an MCAT score, though. So keep this timeframe in mind when gauging your relative "earliness."

Lots of schools don't release secondaries until Sept/Oct, and it takes 6 weeks for your primary to be verified. You can submit your primary without an MCAT score, though. So keep this timeframe in mind when gauging your relative "earliness."

Can I be verified without an MCAT score? I guess I thought once we were verified they sent out secondaries immediately. Like submit June 1, verified July 14 (ish), July 20 (ish) start getting secondaries. Was there a list of when schools sent out secondaries from this past cycle? Thanks!

Can I be verified without an MCAT score? I guess I thought once we were verified they sent out secondaries immediately. Like submit June 1, verified July 14 (ish), July 20 (ish) start getting secondaries. Was there a list of when schools sent out secondaries from this past cycle? Thanks!

You don't need an MCAT score for verification.

You get secondaries when they start sending them out, after you're verified and your app is received by the school. Again, many schools didn't send secondaries until October. I got a few in July and most of them in August, though (I was super early with my primary).

So I was offered a position for volunteer research this summer. It would basically start June and end in July. So about 8 weeks in all. I plan on completing the AACOMAS in May, so can I just put that this is in the future and list the dates, estimated hours, and a description. Or do I not include in May and once I complete this research update AACOMAS at the end and have to be re-verified.

Thanks!

hey guys just wondering, is there any point in filling out the aacomas right now? i think on the website currently it is for fall 2009 admission...

is there a way we can save it or something? or do we have to fill it out only when it comes out on may 1st?

hey guys just wondering, is there any point in filling out the aacomas right now? i think on the website currently it is for fall 2009 admission...

is there a way we can save it or something? or do we have to fill it out only when it comes out on may 1st?

No, it does not save any information or anything, so I believe that some were filling it out just to calculate their GPA, but that was all.

okay, so i'm having a dillema...

i didnt sign up for my mcats on time, well i wasnt ready anyway...but im signed up for june18...

can i apply w/out a score? is this going to throw me out of the early applicants batch? does that significantly decrease my chances at roll-in schools??? cause the school im looking at does that.

ughasdhgashg[o!!! let me know!

You don't need an MCAT score for verification.

You get secondaries when they start sending them out, after you're verified and your app is received by the school. Again, many schools didn't send secondaries until October. I got a few in July and most of them in August, though (I was super early with my primary).

PersiannDO, your answer.