* * 2009-2010 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks beckhunter! I guess I shouldve read more thorougly

Members don't see this ad.

Is it okay to list just the pertinent/full-time healthcare jobs from last 5 years (i.e. jobs I had for 1 year or more) rather than a long 'grocery list' of every little job from last 10 years on the aacomas application?
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

What courses does AACOMAS count as Science GPA, if different from AAMCAS GPA ???

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it okay to list just the pertinent/full-time healthcare jobs from last 5 years (i.e. jobs I had for 1 year or more) rather than a long 'grocery list' of every little job from last 10 years on the aacomas application?
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

We need to list 5 yrs or 10 yrs of jobs? Really???? I thought you only listed what you thought was relevant.

Do you need to have prerequisite courses completed before you can apply? I have not taken physics, english or biochem. I'm planning on taking physics and english during the summer and biochem in September. Will I still be able to apply this year?

We need to list 5 yrs or 10 yrs of jobs? Really???? I thought you only listed what you thought was relevant.
Nope, don't worry. It doesn't state a specific 'time line' for jobs on Aacomas. I was just referring to my situation: I had many trivial jobs (winter break, spring break, summer jobs during undergrad) in addition to full-time jobs during last 10 years.

Thanks for clarifying, Bacchus!

Can you send in your transcripts before you submit everything to AACOMAS or can you only submit them after?? I'm applying late for this coming cycle and I want to prepare as much as possible.

Can you send in your transcripts before you submit everything to AACOMAS or can you only submit them after?? I'm applying late for this coming cycle and I want to prepare as much as possible.

Punk, you can register for AACOMAS around May 1, when they release the new app. On that day, they'll create a file for you and have a place to put your transcripts when they arrive. Just list your schools and you can print the transcript request forms (optional last year), then request all your transcripts, even if you don't plan on submitting the app that early.

So I was offered a position for volunteer research this summer. It would basically start June and end in July. So about 8 weeks in all. I plan on completing the AACOMAS in May, so can I just put that this is in the future and list the dates, estimated hours, and a description. Or do I not include in May and once I complete this research update AACOMAS at the end and have to be re-verified.

Thanks!

If you have plans to pursue activities that would be application-worthy, you should definitely list them as future activities and try to describe the experiences as best you can forecast at the time of submission. :thumbup:

I had lots of future activities when I submitted.

the application opens up around May 1st? but the earliest we can submit is in June right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Punk, you can register for AACOMAS around May 1, when they release the new app. On that day, they'll create a file for you and have a place to put your transcripts when they arrive. Just list your schools and you can print the transcript request forms (optional last year), then request all your transcripts, even if you don't plan on submitting the app that early.

Thanks CB:D. So I only have to wait for two transcripts to arrive before I can hit submit. Urghhh I wish I didn't have to apply so late.

the application opens up around May 1st? but the earliest we can submit is in June right?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.

Thanks CB:D. So I only have to wait for two transcripts to arrive before I can hit submit. Urghhh I wish I didn't have to apply so late.

Nono, you can hit submit. Don't worry about that. Transcripts can follow.

how can I send my transcript and LORs to aacomas? Do they accept it before they open their application system for 2010?

So that if it opens on May 1st, I can submit everything on May 1st? If they don't accept the transcripts and LORs yet, that means on May 1st I won;t be able to submit my application, since it takes timee for them to receive it.

Submitting on June 1st would also be early enough right?

how can I send my transcript and LORs to aacomas? Do they accept it before they open their application system for 2010?

So that if it opens on May 1st, I can submit everything on May 1st? If they don't accept the transcripts and LORs yet, that means on May 1st I won;t be able to submit my application, since it takes timee for them to receive it.

Submitting on June 1st would also be early enough right?

You can submit on May 1st without your transcripts in yet. LORs are sent out with secondaries and either you do this(via having everyone send them out or a service like interfolio) or your school does it (if the pre-med does this for their students). I think submitting before July is still pretty early. So just calm down :D!

awesome, I definitely want to send it out asap. I don't want to procrastinate cause next thing I know, it will be June and the app isnt sent out yet. I can only apply once so I want to do it right. (My mcat is expiring after this cycle)

awesome, I definitely want to send it out asap. I don't want to procrastinate cause next thing I know, it will be June and the app isnt sent out yet. I can only apply once so I want to do it right. (My mcat is expiring after this cycle)

Hey the,

I don't know what it's worth, especially since I just got done being schooled on the impracticality of using an n=1 finding (among other things)
- but I submitted last year in the middle of June, got my letters in in early August and MCAT in early October. For what it's worth!!

Cheers. Good morning everyone.

Hi everyone,

If I wanted to re-take Physics in order to put the new grade on my AACOMAS app, do I need to take the class at the same school that the original class was taken? (I already graduated from undergrad and wanted to just take it at my community college to save some money)...I know taking community college classes are frowned upon but I've already kind of proven myself with A's in plenty of upper level science classes and a 3.7 GPA from a pretty tough and well known SMP, but this physics is a blemish from my younger undergrad days. Also, I was going to take the class during summer session I which ends on June 25....should I hold off on submitting my app till I get my grade back or just submit and mark that I'm currently taking the class? Thanks for any input and sorry if this topic had already been discussed...

-Ig

As for your question about retaking physics, no you don't have to take physics at the same school in order for the retake to count as long as the credit hours are the same you will be fine.Taking one class at a community college is not going to hurt your chances at admission or so I've gathered. I believe if you want that class to be counted in your AACOMAS GPA then yes you should wait until after June 25th.

Hmm, if you already have As in upper division science classes and a stellar GPA from SMP, then why bother retaking 1 physics class? As long as you passed it, I don't think adcoms will give you a hard time about it.

What did you get on it? The only instance in which you should even consider retaking it is C- or less that this point. Like what was said above, taking many upper level science credits after that and getting As can prove you can handle it.

Whats your overall/science GPA?

Thanks for the response....you just bought something up that I didn't think about...the credits (Physics was 5 credits in undergrad and only 4 at the community college). Will it not count then?

Then your retake will not count unless you retake it at the same school that offers it for 5 credits.

I had gotten a C- in Physics I, so thats why I'm re-taking...I know the schools I've checked out so far require minimally C and above. My overall is 3.5 and science of 3.3 with the 3.7 SMP...thanks for the help

Is there a reason you don't want to take it at your undergrad?

Quick comment : I filled out my AACOMAS app last year, and with retakes, I had a 3.8 GPA!!!

NICE. My MCAT is a 37Q.

As it turned out, I did manage to squeak into allopathic, but it sure felt good to have a real GPA unburdened by the mistakes of the past.

really just because its a bit cheaper at the community college and that its less of a commute...guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and re-take it at my undergrad

Well good luck on the retake. I have a couple retakes I have to do which may help or hurt me in this cycle. I will know by the end of next how it goes.:):)

I am trying to find what courses are applied under the Osteopathic Science GPA?

Take Care!

I am a non-trad so I've been out of school for...um...a decade, so on the scholarships & awards section should I list all the awards from clear back in high school? I really don't have anything from college or work.

I am a non-trad so I've been out of school for...um...a decade, so on the scholarships & awards section should I list all the awards from clear back in high school? I really don't have anything from college or work.

I wouldn't list anything from high school simply because it isn't relevant to the application process. Adcoms don't really care what you did in high school, they care about what you did in college and after college.

I am preparing for this coming application cycle and just want to make sure i am on the right page. So this coming may I will log on to AACOMAS and fill out my personal info, essay, my education with all classes and grades, print the transcript request form and have my schools mail my transrpicts to AACOMAS, submit my MCAT score, pick which DO med schools I want to apply for, and pay the fee.

SO my question is, do I have my I submit my application to AACOMAS and wait for them to receive my transcripts or send them before i submit my application.

Also as for my LORs I do NOT send them to AACOMAS, i have to send those directly to each school I apply to? If that is correct do I wait to do that after everything has been confirmed, what is the proper sequence for this?

I just want to make sure I have this right, bare with me please. Ok so i currently have 3 LOR on interfolio, I plan on getting one more to give me 1 MD, 2 science, and 1 from a fire department I volunteer at. And I should wait to send those off to the schools until after the schools have received everything from AACOMAS which could be a while due to AACOMAS taking a while to verify everything?

Thanks for your help!

That is correct. Wait until schools receive your primary application. The schools will tell you they've received the primary and provide you with a secondary. I would also recommend shadowing a DO if you haven't already and getting a letter of recommendation from them. It isn't required at all schools but it will go a long way in helping you get into DO schools. Good luck.

I just want to make sure I have this right, bare with me please. Ok so i currently have 3 LOR on interfolio, I plan on getting one more to give me 1 MD, 2 science, and 1 from a fire department I volunteer at. And I should wait to send those off to the schools until after the schools have received everything from AACOMAS which could be a while due to AACOMAS taking a while to verify everything?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, once your AACOMAS has been verified, schools will send out their secondary application. You will submit your secondary and LOR together.

FYI, there is a thread solely devotes to AACOMAS application questions so if you have any more you can post them there.

I am retaking a physics course and had wondered how long it would take AACOMAS to update my grades, or would I send my transcripts to the schools? I am taking the course first summer session, so the grades will be out by mid June. Would I just sent AACOMAS a new transcript? Thanks!

I am retaking a physics course and had wondered how long it would take AACOMAS to update my grades, or would I send my transcripts to the schools? I am taking the course first summer session, so the grades will be out by mid June. Would I just sent AACOMAS a new transcript? Thanks!

Well you won't be able to submit the AACOMAS till June 1 because that is when they allow you to submit it. And it takes 4-6 weeks for them to verify your application. So that means your application won't be verified until July. The good news is that when you receive your summer grade, you will have time in mid June to manually update your coursework to indicate the retake. Also, you will have to send a new transcript to AACOMAS with the updated grade.

So in short, you will have to do both.

is there a limit to how many courses you can count as retakes and grade replacement on he aacom application?

so after high school I went to a community college, then transfered to a major univeristy and graduated. Well due to the economic times I didn;t get a job right away so I went back to the same community college and i am currently taking two classes..... how would i input this in school attended for example would it be

(very generic example)
LCC 2003-2005
UO 2005-2008
LCC 2009-2009

is this going to be a problem when i send transcripts? or will they just update my transcripts verifing classes for each year for each school?

so after high school I went to a community college, then transfered to a major univeristy and graduated. Well due to the economic times I didn;t get a job right away so I went back to the same community college and i am currently taking two classes..... how would i input this in school attended for example would it be

(very generic example)
LCC 2003-2005
UO 2005-2008
LCC 2009-2009

is this going to be a problem when i send transcripts? or will they just update my transcripts verifing classes for each year for each school?

I don't see that being a problem. I believe that when you enter in course work you will just enter the semester it was taken and then your transcripts will verify this. It doesn't matter that you went to LCC then OU then LCC again. At least I don't know how it could be a problem.

(very generic example)
LCC 2003-2005
UO 2005-2008
LCC 2009-2009

That's exactly how you would input the school(s) attended. If you didn't get a degree from the CC, then you would just indicate that "No Degree". It wouldn't be a problem because the transcripts lists which courses you took and which semester you took it in. But you would have to input the colleges attended that way.

I'm reading through the AACOMAS instruction page:

Repeat: Courses repeated for academic improvement or grade change must be listed each time
taken. Courses repeated for additional credit, but not for a better grade, such as physical
education or chorus, are not considered a repeat. Applicants should list the original class as a
repeat i.e. "Repeat" and then list the final time it is taken as "Last Repeat". All repeated
courses should be coded in sequence. Please see the examples below:
Repeat Example 1
Fall Semester 1999 ENGL 1113 English Composition I: Code as "Repeat 01"
Spring Semester 2001 ENGL 1113 English Composition I: Code as "Last Repeat 01"

I remember reading here, where someone said you only had to post your last obtained grade...

Am I reading this right or wrong?