You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread
Started by PrisonPsych
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
rejected from UCSB CCSP (Counseling PhD) program, but I had to email them first! Is this a regular thing that happens?
Hmmm. I didn't receive an interview at UCSB, but I saw that people got email rejections so I was planning to wait. Maybe I should email... What did you say in your email if you don't mind my asking?
I applied for the Counseling Psychology PhD program in November. According to the FAQ online, PhD interviews tend to occur during the 3rd/4th week in January. I was wondering when I should expect to hear if I have been invited for an interview or if my application is no longer being considered. Thank you very much for your time.
That was my email. The email I got back was a little obnoxious, it said that "everyone who has been invited for an interview has already been notified."
That was my email. The email I got back was a little obnoxious, it said that "everyone who has been invited for an interview has already been notified."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied for the Counseling Psychology PhD program in November. According to the FAQ online, PhD interviews tend to occur during the 3rd/4th week in January. I was wondering when I should expect to hear if I have been invited for an interview or if my application is no longer being considered. Thank you very much for your time.
That was my email. The email I got back was a little obnoxious, it said that "everyone who has been invited for an interview has already been notified."
Thanks. I think I will just wait patiently for my rejection letter to avoid the obnoxious email. That answers that definitively though! 🙂
Ditto. Although I must say I'm still disappointed... I kept thinking I hadn't received a rejection letter yet because maybe I was waitlisted.Thanks. I think I will just wait patiently for my rejection letter to avoid the obnoxious email. That answers that definitively though! 🙂
Me too! I keep thinking that for all of these schools. Trying to be optimistic, but losing hope quickly!
Me too! I keep thinking that for all of these schools. Trying to be optimistic, but losing hope quickly!
I've heard of people who have gotten offers out of the blue ... at the last minute funding may become available. you may get interviews/acceptances even though the "normal" interviews were done months earlier. this may be a rarity, but it happens.
I received my first rejection today...
I received an email from the DCT of U. of Nebraska - Lincoln. It honestly came as a surprise since this is one of my closest fits and subsequently one of my top choices.
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but I'm guessing at this rate this is the first rejection of many. Sigh.
I received an email from the DCT of U. of Nebraska - Lincoln. It honestly came as a surprise since this is one of my closest fits and subsequently one of my top choices.
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but I'm guessing at this rate this is the first rejection of many. Sigh.
Me too! I keep thinking that for all of these schools. Trying to be optimistic, but losing hope quickly!
Ugh, me too. I'll avoid the e-mailing, also, and wait for a letter. I'm so disappointed about that one. I thought it was my "best match" school. 🙁
My friend emailed the training director at Univ. of Northern Colorado's PhD program in Counseling Psych and was informed that the faculty reviewed the apps and made decision on who to invite for interviews Tuesday morning. He also said that my friend was not included on the people who they are going to invite.
Hi-
I am a student in the Combined School and Clinical Psychology Doctoral program at Kean University. This new program is a hybrid of sorts of Psy.D. and Ph.D. programs that encourages active research to inform and advance clinical practice. Cohort size are kept small, the facilities are brand new, and a plethora of school and clinical practicum opportunities exist in the NY/NJ Area.
Most importantly, the majority of the students in the program are fully funded (a rarity in Psy.D. programs). In addition, the program just received 2 additional slots for admission for Fall 2010 that will be fully funded and includes stipend as well.
Please check out our website. http://www.kean.edu/~psyd/program.html
Thanks! Good luck in your application processes!
I am a student in the Combined School and Clinical Psychology Doctoral program at Kean University. This new program is a hybrid of sorts of Psy.D. and Ph.D. programs that encourages active research to inform and advance clinical practice. Cohort size are kept small, the facilities are brand new, and a plethora of school and clinical practicum opportunities exist in the NY/NJ Area.
Most importantly, the majority of the students in the program are fully funded (a rarity in Psy.D. programs). In addition, the program just received 2 additional slots for admission for Fall 2010 that will be fully funded and includes stipend as well.
Please check out our website. http://www.kean.edu/~psyd/program.html
Thanks! Good luck in your application processes!
Hi-
I am a student in the Combined School and Clinical Psychology Doctoral program at Kean University. This new program is a hybrid of sorts of Psy.D. and Ph.D. programs that encourages active research to inform and advance clinical practice. Cohort size are kept small, the facilities are brand new, and a plethora of school and clinical practicum opportunities exist in the NY/NJ Area.
Most importantly, the majority of the students in the program are fully funded (a rarity in Psy.D. programs). In addition, the program just received 2 additional slots for admission for Fall 2010 that will be fully funded and includes stipend as well.
Please check out our website. http://www.kean.edu/~psyd/program.html
Thanks! Good luck in your application processes!
Please note for anyone considering this that this program is not currently accredited.
I was unable to sit around and wait any longer so I emailed some of my schools to see when applicants would be notified about interviews or rejections. I got a reply back from Louisville on 1/19/10 saying
"Our Faculty have just completed review of all applications and have selected our top 30 applicants for interviews. I'm sorry to inform you that your application was not among those. We wish you well in your future endeavors."
I always heard back from BGSU 1/20/10 and they said applicants will be notified about interviews early next week.
I saw some people have gotten rejection letters from SUNY-Buffalo all the way back on Jan 6th. I have not gotten a rejection letter, but I have also not gotten an interview notification....whats the deal???
I got a slightly obnoxious email from UNCG 1/20/10 stating that interviews were being held Feb 19th and 26th and if I was considered for an interview I would be notified "well in advance"...vauge but all well
Best of Luck to all
"Our Faculty have just completed review of all applications and have selected our top 30 applicants for interviews. I'm sorry to inform you that your application was not among those. We wish you well in your future endeavors."
I always heard back from BGSU 1/20/10 and they said applicants will be notified about interviews early next week.
I saw some people have gotten rejection letters from SUNY-Buffalo all the way back on Jan 6th. I have not gotten a rejection letter, but I have also not gotten an interview notification....whats the deal???
I got a slightly obnoxious email from UNCG 1/20/10 stating that interviews were being held Feb 19th and 26th and if I was considered for an interview I would be notified "well in advance"...vauge but all well
Best of Luck to all
I was unable to sit around and wait any longer so I emailed some of my schools to see when applicants would be notified about interviews or rejections. I got a reply back from Louisville on 1/19/10 saying
"Our Faculty have just completed review of all applications and have selected our top 30 applicants for interviews. I'm sorry to inform you that your application was not among those. We wish you well in your future endeavors."
I always heard back from BGSU 1/20/10 and they said applicants will be notified about interviews early next week.
I saw some people have gotten rejection letters from SUNY-Buffalo all the way back on Jan 6th. I have not gotten a rejection letter, but I have also not gotten an interview notification....whats the deal???
I got a slightly obnoxious email from UNCG 1/20/10 stating that interviews were being held Feb 19th and 26th and if I was considered for an interview I would be notified "well in advance"...vauge but all well
Best of Luck to all
is Louisville Counseling or Clinical?
Louisville is clinical.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
updated.
U of Georgia rejection via email (Clinical PhD) 👎
3
304402
U of Georgia rejection via email (Clinical PhD) 👎
Sorry to hear that. Were you at the interview this past weekend?
email rejection for depaul child clinical program. first of many to come! 😉
.
Last edited:
email rejection for depaul child clinical program. first of many to come! 😉
never received an interview so i'm sure my rejection is on the way!
I hope that's not true re: West Virginia - would make me bummed!
Just got rejected from University of Indianapolis via snail mail. Who wants to live in Indianapolis anyway?![]()
clinical or counseling?
Would anyone mind PMing me a sample email they have sent to a school requesting information on their application status? I want to email a couple of schools but I'm not sure what's the most appropriate way to ask and I don't want to sound like an idiot😕 Thanks!
Would anyone mind PMing me a sample email they have sent to a school requesting information on their application status? I want to email a couple of schools but I'm not sure what's the most appropriate way to ask and I don't want to sound like an idiot😕 Thanks!
same here. thanks!

tmi...
Last edited:
Would anyone mind PMing me a sample email they have sent to a school requesting information on their application status? I want to email a couple of schools but I'm not sure what's the most appropriate way to ask and I don't want to sound like an idiot😕 Thanks!
I too, like many many others on this forum, am patiently but obssessively waiting for SOME conclusion from many schools, whether it be an interview invite or otherwise.
However, I did want to put my $.02 out there. My mentor, who is a recent graduate of a PhD program and who has seen the application process up close and personal, strongly advised me AGAINST inquiring about app status. She said it highly irritates the administrative staff and faculty, as they are well aware that we are all waiting anxiously.
This advice from her came from me telling her that I've had enough waiting, and that my application fee entitles me to SOME news (I tell you all this because I was trying to rationalize contacting schools 6 ways to Sunday), but she strongly recommended I keep my cool, and wait it out.
Just wanted to share her info with you anxious SDNers! I hear ya and our good news will come soon enough! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for this advice! That was my original thoughts but I think my anxiety took over and said screw it....but I that info puts me back in check!
^^
Yea, thats true, but on the other hand, any school that rejects you solely because they were "irritated" that you inquired about your application, do you really want to end up there anyways?
Yea, thats true, but on the other hand, any school that rejects you solely because they were "irritated" that you inquired about your application, do you really want to end up there anyways?
^^
Yea, thats true, but on the other hand, any school that rejects you solely because they were "irritated" that you inquired about your application, do you really want to end up there anyways?
I didn't say anything about schools rejecting people because of inquiries regarding status.
Just trying to put some positive energy towards waiting patiently, since I understand how hard it is hearing nothing at all.
I know you didn't say it directly, but isn't the primary reason we would not want to irritate them because we don't want to jeopardize our chances?
Note: I am trying to patiently wait as well and its terrible, I was just making a point. I anonymously called some schools just to ask for a timetable if they had one, and only gave my name when directly asked.
Note: I am trying to patiently wait as well and its terrible, I was just making a point. I anonymously called some schools just to ask for a timetable if they had one, and only gave my name when directly asked.
I too, like many many others on this forum, am patiently but obssessively waiting for SOME conclusion from many schools, whether it be an interview invite or otherwise.
However, I did want to put my $.02 out there. My mentor, who is a recent graduate of a PhD program and who has seen the application process up close and personal, strongly advised me AGAINST inquiring about app status. She said it highly irritates the administrative staff and faculty, as they are well aware that we are all waiting anxiously.
This advice from her came from me telling her that I've had enough waiting, and that my application fee entitles me to SOME news (I tell you all this because I was trying to rationalize contacting schools 6 ways to Sunday), but she strongly recommended I keep my cool, and wait it out.
Just wanted to share her info with you anxious SDNers! I hear ya and our good news will come soon enough! 🙂
That would be the sane way to go but every time I think of how much I don't want to irritate them, I flash to my depleting bank account after paying those frickin' application fees. We are paying them to look at our applications. We can deal with the 'no guarantee that your spent money will pay off' but the least they can do is give us a little more than 'application has been sent to the department for review'. The whole consideration thing should be a two way street.
I hope that's not true re: West Virginia - would make me bummed!
I was told by Dr. Fremouw. Maybe it was just his invites that were already given!
Good luck!
it was a generic email but I obviously have no idea how many people received it. hope you have better luck!
I was told by Dr. Fremouw. Maybe it was just his invites that were already given!
Good luck!
Dammit, that makes it even worse - that was the POI I was going for.
Dammit, that makes it even worse - that was the POI I was going for.
Maybe they are one of the schools sending invites out the ancient way.... snail mail.
He told me directly that I wasn't selected 😱 which sucks b/c I was really looking forward to having the possibility of working with him.
Maybe they are one of the schools sending invites out the ancient way.... snail mail.
He told me directly that I wasn't selected 😱 which sucks b/c I was really looking forward to having the possibility of working with him.
I'll cling to that hope - he and I had had email exchanges in which he was *very* encouraging and asked me to apply, so I figured that meant I at least had a fighting chance...
never received an interview so i'm sure my rejection is on the way!
Feeling the same way! Although if it was a mass e-mail, wouldn't they have included all rejections? Are we therefore in "limbo"?
Alright so change of story, yesterday I got an email saying I was rejected, TODAY I got an email that says they viewed my application favorably and although I won't get an interview I'm now on the waitlist. Soooooo I'm hoping tomorrow they send me another email saying I was accepted.
again this was for the child clinical track at depaul.
again this was for the child clinical track at depaul.
Alright so change of story, yesterday I got an email saying I was rejected, TODAY I got an email that says they viewed my application favorably and although I won't get an interview I'm now on the waitlist. Soooooo I'm hoping tomorrow they send me another email saying I was accepted.
again this was for the child clinical track at depaul.
Hahaha, so what do we think this means for those of us who have heard nothing? Maybe they just lost my e-mail address 🙂
Hahaha, so what do we think this means for those of us who have heard nothing? Maybe they just lost my e-mail address 🙂
honestly I don't think anyone can guess what these programs are up to at any one moment. they seem to enjoy working in mysterious ways. best of luck!
Rejection: Bowling Green State 1/26 email
Alternate: Auburn 1/26 email
not my day 🙁
Alternate: Auburn 1/26 email
not my day 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright so change of story, yesterday I got an email saying I was rejected, TODAY I got an email that says they viewed my application favorably and although I won't get an interview I'm now on the waitlist. Soooooo I'm hoping tomorrow they send me another email saying I was accepted.
again this was for the child clinical track at depaul.
Oh wow. That is really strange. Why would first reject you and then waitlist you? Did you already have an interview there?
Anyway, best of luck

honestly I don't think anyone can guess what these programs are up to at any one moment. they seem to enjoy working in mysterious ways. best of luck!
absolutely NO contact here.
maybe we're like applicant lepers?
Hahaha, so what do we think this means for those of us who have heard nothing? Maybe they just lost my e-mail address 🙂
Haha, I'm starting to wonder the same thing...
Honestly! This is so frustrating. I have applied to 12 schools and have really only heard from 3. There are Four other schools that have offered interviews that I haven't heard from at all and haven't rejected anyone according to this site. Then there are five I haven't heard from at all. If they are going to reject me can't they just do it now so that I can figure out my life?! Sorry needed to rant a little. . .
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 1K
