2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected from UNC school psych program on 1/25 via snail mail. Apparently, they didn't get a part of my application 🙁

It really just sucks because I have no idea what they didn't receive. I may or may not call or email to see what they're missing. It was a pretty good fit for me, too. 🙁
 
Rejected from UNC school psych program on 1/25 via snail mail. Apparently, they didn't get a part of my application 🙁

It really just sucks because I have no idea what they didn't receive. I may or may not call or email to see what they're missing. It was a pretty good fit for me, too. 🙁

Did you at least receive some confirmation email or something?
I don't get these schools... they get 'irritated' if you call/email them to ask about your application and invites, but they can reject you without even telling you that your application isn't complete. I mean, where do all those fees go? I've had schools with 100+ $ ( one even 125$). Add sending GRE scores... I won't even start. It's just ridiculous. I am sorry, I know that schools are busy and all, but I really think they should work more to put their system in some sort of a reasonable order. Sheesh.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you at least receive some confirmation email or something?
I don't get these schools... they get 'irritated' if you call/email them to ask about your application and invites, but they can reject you without even telling you that your application isn't complete. I mean, where do all those fees go? I've had schools with 100+ $ ( one even 125$). Add sending GRE scores... I won't even start. It's just ridiculous. I am sorry, I know that schools are busy and all, but I really think they should work more to put their system in some sort of a reasonable order. Sheesh.

I got confirmation for the online application, but not transcripts, letters, GRE scores or any of that. I'm just kind of bummed because either I or someone else messed something up and THAT'S why I'm not getting in; it wasn't just an "I wasn't good enough" kind of thing. Oh well. I have 2 invites for interviews at other schools. There's nothing I can do about this one now, right? : )
 
I got confirmation for the online application, but not transcripts, letters, GRE scores or any of that. I'm just kind of bummed because either I or someone else messed something up and THAT'S why I'm not getting in; it wasn't just an "I wasn't good enough" kind of thing. Oh well. I have 2 invites for interviews at other schools. There's nothing I can do about this one now, right? : )

Yes, I know. Congrats on the invites, and good luck with the interviews!
Sorry if I sounded rash, but I am quite mad. The same thing happened to me, and they failed to let me know in time that something was missing. I hate that, considering I would have done anything to have my materials as fast as possible there. And it was a school that felt like a great match. oh well 🙁
 
Rejected from UNC school psych program on 1/25 via snail mail. Apparently, they didn't get a part of my application 🙁

It really just sucks because I have no idea what they didn't receive. I may or may not call or email to see what they're missing. It was a pretty good fit for me, too. 🙁

I had the same thing happen with UNC School Psych. 🙁

Also, got a post-interview waitlist today, which also sucks (though there's some hope, I guess).
 
Yale rejection 1/26/10. Email back from POI after I reached out to her because she is coming to my center to give a talk. Yale only accepted 4 people this year, apparently, and my POI did not take any students.
 
what kind of program?

It was the child program. (U of Minnesota)


On another note, I just decided to login to my other online apps to see if any had updated statuses with rejections, and noticed that one school had listed that my transcript was outstanding (even though I know it was mailed in, because the others in the same order from my undergrad school were received). I'm pretty sure their mixup is that it was under my maiden name, though I have to wait until tomorrow to call and find out.

If it's pretty clearly their fault for not processing it correctly (and therefore it never gets reviewed), has anyone ever tried to get their fee back? If so what have you been told?

I'm just frustrated because this would be the 2nd school that messed up due to a maiden name issue, even though on the application they ask you to list maiden names so that they can locate your materials! The first school contacted me to tell me my GREs hadn't been received, just to realize that the graduate admissions had misfiled them. This school never even contacted me!
 
Last edited:
Honestly! This is so frustrating. I have applied to 12 schools and have really only heard from 3. There are Four other schools that have offered interviews that I haven't heard from at all and haven't rejected anyone according to this site. Then there are five I haven't heard from at all. If they are going to reject me can't they just do it now so that I can figure out my life?! Sorry needed to rant a little. . .

Um. I applied to 11 and have only heard from 1. Some are listed on this site as having invited people and/or sent rejections. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow's mail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Um. I applied to 11 and have only heard from 1. Some are listed on this site as having invited people and/or sent rejections. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow's mail.

Me too... wonder why that is. Maybe too much anxiety building up? :shrug:
 
Honestly! This is so frustrating. I have applied to 12 schools and have really only heard from 3. There are Four other schools that have offered interviews that I haven't heard from at all and haven't rejected anyone according to this site. Then there are five I haven't heard from at all. If they are going to reject me can't they just do it now so that I can figure out my life?! Sorry needed to rant a little. . .

They don't outright reject you just in case they decide to interview more people. That's why sites like this are helpful. Did the 3 schools you have heard from invite you to interview? If so, you should be happy about that at least.

Personally, I haven't gotten a single "official" rejection. Out of the 18 schools I applied to, I have heard from 4 (interview invites) and there are about 4 schools still not up on the list, so that means there are 10 schools I probably have been rejected from that haven't notified me of anything. This is pretty standard; this is my 3rd time applying, so I have some experience getting rejected. ;-) They all eventually mail you a letter, but in most cases it's April or later.
 
They don't outright reject you just in case they decide to interview more people. That's why sites like this are helpful. Did the 3 schools you have heard from invite you to interview? If so, you should be happy about that at least.

Personally, I haven't gotten a single "official" rejection. Out of the 18 schools I applied to, I have heard from 4 (interview invites) and there are about 4 schools still not up on the list, so that means there are 10 schools I probably have been rejected from that haven't notified me of anything. This is pretty standard; this is my 3rd time applying, so I have some experience getting rejected. ;-) They all eventually mail you a letter, but in most cases it's April or later.


Seriously? That is outrageous! I have gotten two rejections and half of rejection from berkeley who sent out this vague "maybe you are on the waitlist maybe you aren't" email.
 
They don't outright reject you just in case they decide to interview more people. That's why sites like this are helpful. Did the 3 schools you have heard from invite you to interview? If so, you should be happy about that at least.

Personally, I haven't gotten a single "official" rejection. Out of the 18 schools I applied to, I have heard from 4 (interview invites) and there are about 4 schools still not up on the list, so that means there are 10 schools I probably have been rejected from that haven't notified me of anything. This is pretty standard; this is my 3rd time applying, so I have some experience getting rejected. ;-) They all eventually mail you a letter, but in most cases it's April or later.

Third year applying? Wow..thats rough, this is my second. Last year I didn't get a single interview and so far this year I only have one. Five of my schools still havn't sent invites yet, so I am still hopeful! Just curious, in your previous two years applying did you get interviews then rejected after that or is this your first year getting interviews?
 
They don't outright reject you just in case they decide to interview more people. That's why sites like this are helpful. Did the 3 schools you have heard from invite you to interview? If so, you should be happy about that at least.

Personally, I haven't gotten a single "official" rejection. Out of the 18 schools I applied to, I have heard from 4 (interview invites) and there are about 4 schools still not up on the list, so that means there are 10 schools I probably have been rejected from that haven't notified me of anything. This is pretty standard; this is my 3rd time applying, so I have some experience getting rejected. ;-) They all eventually mail you a letter, but in most cases it's April or later.

Like another poster stated, it is outrageous. If they want to hold onto applicants just in case their top choices fall through, then they should just interview more people. IMO, if we don't merit an interview, they should cut us loose. . . . They appreciate it if we let them know right away that we do not want to accept an interview. Well, I think applicants deserve the same courtesy. . . . I'm sure some of you will one day be heads of psychology departments. I hope you will attempt to remedy some of these issues. There should be more transparency in this process, IMHO.
 
I think its actually well within their realms to hold onto applications... sorry to say it but it actually benefits YOU more than it benefits THEM. I think it is easy for me to say that I would reject a later interview from a school that already sent out first rounds, BUT that is because I have already received several interviews. What if you havent received ANY interviews? You are going to be ecstatic if you get an email saying they want to interview you.

Lets face it, its REALLY hard to handle a lot of students for interviews, and if every school were to take on more students then they couldnt provide things like lunch, boarding, etc... so why would you wantto change that?

I KNOW it sucks waiting, but just be happy you dont have to wait very long, just think about how long med students have to wait... I know when I went through that process I applied in June, got secondaries at end of July early August, Interviewed between September and January, and was notified by almost all schools by March. thats a year long process... far worse than this process.
 
I understand all of that, but to just not tell you ANYTHING is a tiny bit outrageous. Of course I would be happy to receive an interview, its just frustrating they don't really give you any inkling of what is going on.
 
If you don't hear anything, I think you can assume you are on a waitlist of sorts. and though the odds are low, there is a chance of acceptance. I for one, would much rather be on this kind of waitlist than be outright rejected.

For one, it means you are at least meeting their criteria of admission and that is good to know for future apps, etc. and I have heard of people getting accepted to their first place school off the waitlist without interview.

And I hate to pull the older and wiser card but as a person in their 30s, I can safely say there is going to be a lot of waiting and uncertainty in your future no matter what path you pursue. Life is rarely black and white. Especially in an uncertain economy. And if you can't handle this process (which I have found stressful but not as much as other things I have dealt with), it does not bode well and you may be in for a rude awakening.

and if you really need to know, you should go ahead and email your POI for more clarification. I've done this more than once and they all responded right away. Two confirmed all invites were sent and there was almost no chance of admission. One let me know that invites were sent but I was still under consideration and at the top of a very short list if someone fell through.
 
Last edited:
First rejection: University of Miami. I emailed my POI to get an update and he let me know that the committee decided not to interview me. He also said that my file was "viewed to be among the top portion of applicants we were not able to consider for a position given the small number of available slots this year.".... as if that's any consolation!
 
If you don't hear anything, I think you can assume you are on a waitlist of sorts. and though the odds are low, there is a chance of acceptance. I for one, would much rather be on this kind of waitlist than be outright rejected.

For one, it means you are at least meeting their criteria of admission and that is good to know for future apps, etc. and I have heard of people getting accepted to their first place school off the waitlist without interview.

And I hate to pull the older and wiser card but as a person in their 30s, I can safely say there is going to be a lot of waiting and uncertainty in your future no matter what path you pursue. Life is rarely black and white. Especially in an uncertain economy. And if you can't handle this process (which I have found stressful but not as much as other things I have dealt with), it does not bode well and you may be in for a rude awakening.

and if you really need to know, you should go ahead and email your POI for more clarification. I've done this more than once and they all responded right away. Two confirmed all invites were sent and there was almost no chance of admission. One let me know that invites were sent but I was still under consideration and at the top of a very short list if someone fell through.


I understand and agree with much of what you have said. I am also in my thirties. For me, this is not a highly stressful process. I know that I will get in somewhere. I am just advocating for more transparency in the process. Why all the secrecy? Why can't they tell an applicant straight out that s/he is number 5 on the waitlist? . . . . In your post, you mentioned that two of your POIs told you that all invites had been sent out and there was little hope of gaining admittance into their programs. Okay, then why didn't they just send you a rejection letter? Why did you have to contact them to get that information?

I am just advocating for more transparency in the process.
 
They don't outright reject you just in case they decide to interview more people. That's why sites like this are helpful. Did the 3 schools you have heard from invite you to interview? If so, you should be happy about that at least.

Personally, I haven't gotten a single "official" rejection. Out of the 18 schools I applied to, I have heard from 4 (interview invites) and there are about 4 schools still not up on the list, so that means there are 10 schools I probably have been rejected from that haven't notified me of anything. This is pretty standard; this is my 3rd time applying, so I have some experience getting rejected. ;-) They all eventually mail you a letter, but in most cases it's April or later.

My third time applying too... but I don't even have an invite yet. This process is KILLER!
 
I understand and agree with much of what you have said. I am also in my thirties. For me, this is not a highly stressful process. I know that I will get in somewhere. I am just advocating for more transparency in the process. Why all the secrecy? Why can't they tell an applicant straight out that s/he is number 5 on the waitlist? . . . . In your post, you mentioned that two of your POIs told you that all invites had been sent out and there was little hope of gaining admittance into their programs. Okay, then why didn't they just send you a rejection letter? Why did you have to contact them to get that information?

I am just advocating for more transparency in the process.


Well, I guess I did not get a rejection because decisions are not final yet, I have not yet been put into the NO pile. My POIs did not tell me there was little hope, that is what I inferred. Frankly, if there is only a 0.05% chance - I would rather remain on the wait list. But knowing the odds are rather low helps me plan and prioritize.

graduate schools operate like everywhere else. Have you ever worked for a large company? or worse, for the government? There can be a lot of bureaucracy and red tape. there are policies, formal procedures to be followed and decisions usually need to go through many levels before being finalized. This takes time and the timeline does not always revolve around the needs of the applicant. Taking time to make sure decisions are right is not a bad thing.

And transparency can go both ways. What if we had to tell every school exactly where they stood with us? E.g. we get accepted at a safety school but are holding out for our number one choice. Most would not tell the safety until things were final.
 
Last edited:
First rejection: University of Miami. I emailed my POI to get an update and he let me know that the committee decided not to interview me. He also said that my file was "viewed to be among the top portion of applicants we were not able to consider for a position given the small number of available slots this year.".... as if that's any consolation!


Crappy. I applied there too and never heard anything. I thought I'd be a really good fit too. I figured they were out because it's been a while since they started sending out invites.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Third year applying? Wow..thats rough, this is my second. Last year I didn't get a single interview and so far this year I only have one. Five of my schools still havn't sent invites yet, so I am still hopeful! Just curious, in your previous two years applying did you get interviews then rejected after that or is this your first year getting interviews?

I know it's crazy. Luckily I'm not offended by rejection. I got in to undergrad early decision, so I never got rejected anywhere at that time. The way I see it, this has all made up for it. 🙂

So to answer your questions, my first time applying was 3 years ago. I was fresh out of college and didn't really expect to get in. I got 1 phone interview from a school that didn't do in-person interviews at that time and I got 1 in-person interview. I was waitlisted at both then rejected.

My second time applying was last year. When I contacted people in August, a lot of people told me they were probably taking a student, but between then and interview time, the economy tanked, so a lot of people were no longer taking students. I got 1 interview and was then rejected about a month later. I was probably waitlisted, but was never told anything after the interview until the rejection.

Basically this is the first year I'm applying that I'm not straight out of college (I've been out just over 3 years) and that the economy hasn't tanked. In fact, tons of people are accepted students this year. Every single person I contacted said they were either probably or definitely taking a student.

So like I said, I've got 4 interviews, which is already better than the last 2 times, and there are still a few schools left that I applied to and haven't sent out invites. I'm definitely not certain that I'll get in somewhere, but I'm not nearly as nervous as the first 2 times I applied. I think the older you get, the better you get at waiting. I'm 25 now, and I was more nervous last year at 24. Of course, below 25 is technically adolescence so maybe that's why. ;-)

I actually applied to some developmental programs to help my chances since they have higher acceptance rates and there is some overlap in my research interests, but ironically all my interview invites thus far have been clinical PhD programs. I do have a more clinical background, so maybe that's why. It's just a bit ironic. Since I'm a veteran applicant, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the process (provided I have the necessary info to answer them).
 
And transparency can go both ways. What if we had to tell every school exactly where they stood with us? E.g. we get accepted at a safety school but are holding out for our number one choice. Most would not tell the safety until things were final.

Again, I hear what you're saying. But, some schools have not rejected anyone yet--at least according to this thread and the Graduate Cafe threads. The schools to which I am referring had January 1 deadlines and have already held their interviews. I understand holding onto "safety students". But, some of these schools appear to be holding onto every single applicant without rejecting any of them to this point. And, we know that they are not still legitimately considering all of them.

Yes, schools do have the right to have safety students just as we have the right to have safety schools. However, when we have more than one safety school in our pocket, we will usually quickly decline offers of admission from the other safety schools. How many safety students do these universities need?

Hypothetically, let's say there were 60 applicants, and they plan to only admit 4 students. I am their 60th most desirable candidate. Shouldn't they just send me a rejection letter because it is obvious that I won't be admitted.

I understand your point. I just think it would be nice to let people know that they are on the waitlist. It would be even better if people were told where they stood on the waitlist (maybe up to a certain number).

Yes, it is run very much like HR, EXCEPT that I have never been accepted for a position when I have not interviewed for it. So, it is really hard for me to wrap my mind around the concept that I could be waitlisted somewhere and possibly gain admission into a program in which I never had the opportunity to interview. . . . A little more transparency would not hurt.

I'm done ranting. I've gotten it out of my system now. Hamsterpants, thanks for you two cents.
 
I'm done ranting. I've gotten it out of my system now. Hamsterpants, thanks for you two cents.

I don't think you were ranting. You made some very good points and I understand your frustration, especially with the schools who have already had interviews without rejecting anyone. and yea, I can't imagine getting a job without an interview!
 
Although I have been out of school and working at a teaching hospital for almost 2 years, this is my first time applying. May I ask what you all did when you discovered you wouldn't be going to grad school? On a deeper note, and you absolutely don't have to share, were there specific aspects of your applications/interviews that prevented you from being offered admission (i.e. things you've noticed are weighted heavier in the review process)?
I've only heard from 1/8 schools so far - here's hoping...
 
Although I have been out of school and working at a teaching hospital for almost 2 years, this is my first time applying. May I ask what you all did when you discovered you wouldn't be going to grad school? On a deeper note, and you absolutely don't have to share, were there specific aspects of your applications/interviews that prevented you from being offered admission (i.e. things you've noticed are weighted heavier in the review process)?
I've only heard from 1/8 schools so far - here's hoping...

The main difference for me is timing. The first time I was right out of college and the second time hardly anybody was taking students. The other big difference is my amount of relevant experience. I've been getting clinical and research experience for the last few years, and the more the better. The first time I knew I wasn't going to grad school, I was still in the town I went to college in working part time (I graduated in the middle of the school year), so I started looking for a full time job elsewhere. Last time I already had a job, so I just kept working there.
 
Again, I hear what you're saying. But, some schools have not rejected anyone yet--at least according to this thread and the Graduate Cafe threads. The schools to which I am referring had January 1 deadlines and have already held their interviews. I understand holding onto "safety students". But, some of these schools appear to be holding onto every single applicant without rejecting any of them to this point. And, we know that they are not still legitimately considering all of them.

Yes, schools do have the right to have safety students just as we have the right to have safety schools. However, when we have more than one safety school in our pocket, we will usually quickly decline offers of admission from the other safety schools. How many safety students do these universities need?

Hypothetically, let's say there were 60 applicants, and they plan to only admit 4 students. I am their 60th most desirable candidate. Shouldn't they just send me a rejection letter because it is obvious that I won't be admitted.

I understand your point. I just think it would be nice to let people know that they are on the waitlist. It would be even better if people were told where they stood on the waitlist (maybe up to a certain number).

Yes, it is run very much like HR, EXCEPT that I have never been accepted for a position when I have not interviewed for it. So, it is really hard for me to wrap my mind around the concept that I could be waitlisted somewhere and possibly gain admission into a program in which I never had the opportunity to interview. . . . A little more transparency would not hurt.

I'm done ranting. I've gotten it out of my system now. Hamsterpants, thanks for you two cents.

The thing you have to remember is that it takes a lot more manpower to send rejections out as they know for sure than it does to just send them all out at once. They don't really have time to consider each individual application and decide not only if they want to interview them, but also whether they want to reject them. Of course it would be nice if they gave us news faster, but it's just not really feasible.
 
Although I have been out of school and working at a teaching hospital for almost 2 years, this is my first time applying. May I ask what you all did when you discovered you wouldn't be going to grad school? On a deeper note, and you absolutely don't have to share, were there specific aspects of your applications/interviews that prevented you from being offered admission (i.e. things you've noticed are weighted heavier in the review process)?
I've only heard from 1/8 schools so far - here's hoping...

I too work at a teaching hospital, however one that is affiliated with an Ivy League med school & (an uber competitive) clinical PhD program. Last year when I was thinking of applying to grad school, I emailed my CV to a "famous" tenured prof. of psychology & asked how to make myself a competitive applicant, knowing that I was going to get a very snobby opinion. She (hardcore) dissected my CV, which was BRUTAL. However, I received some helpful feedback. I was told to raise my GRE over 1350 & get more publishing experience. Granted, this is a very stringent opinion of what a competitive applicant looks like. The informative piece was that she instructed me to look at other profs' posted CVs (check the web). Then (1) see if they conduct research in an area of my interest. Then (2) look at their publishing frequency. If they appear to be publishing at least 2 articles/year, then (3) I should contact them and grovel for a volunteer position in their lab. I did 3 months of indentured servitude, but got 1 pub & 1 poster presentation (a mere pittance). My advice is to also consider the "kindness" factor of the prof you plan to grovel towards. This wonderful, wonderful saint of woman, is allowing me to use the dataset for future research projects AND she contacted other profs on my behalf to put in a good word regarding my application (did I mention that she is an F-ing saint?!?).

Anyway, the moral of my rambling is...
I think that it is an asset for you to work at a teaching hospital. Utilize your place of employment to the fullest:
*You could get some great feedback on your CV & also "volunteer" (i.e. do free "b!tch" work for a research team.
*Find someone who will CRITICALLY look at your CV. While it is painful, so is waxing.
*Also try to contact profs, who you have great rapport with & ask to volunteer in their labs. I am not a natural social "networker", but in the least people usually refer you to colleagues who are looking for "volunteers". Some will also offer to read your personal statements (if they do, ask that they bash the be-jesus out of your essay)
*Apparently, psychology is a fairly small world. Profs may or may not know people at your dream institution. Ask their opinions about profs at your desired programs (i.e. "Do you know anything about Dr. so and so?", let it go from there) It's ballsy, a.k.a. pushy, to ask if they would put in a good word for you, even if that is really what you are thinking. If you are lucky, sometimes they get the ESP or are about to be canonized by the Vatican. Profs contact people on your behalf. I thank my lucky stars.
*Contact Career Services at your institution and set up "mock" interviews, prior to your actual interviews. If you have graduated, some universities allow alums to utilize these services. Seek out really NASTY, tear jerking feedback. It is better to get negative news from people who do not hold the "yay" or "nay" decision over your application.
*LASTLY, it is Jan., hope IS NOT LOST until every last rejection letter comes in... I am sure that you are a FABULOUS APPLICANT

Sorry for my above written book. I am trying to pay it forward.... BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!! Before I sign off from my verbose rant, I finally recommend Happy Hour to all. Cheers.
 
Last edited:
MinxC: Thank you! That was very helpful advice! And yes, it's still January, and I haven't completely given up hope yet (no interviews, no rejections, nada, nothing), but I am going ahead with my Plan B by reaching out to a local teaching hospital to see if I can help out in any way possible in their research lab... just in case.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First rejection received from University of Minnesota, on 1/27 by online status update...still waiting on 8 more schools but since most of them have appeared in the interview invite thread by now, I'm rapidly losing hope!!
 
Sorry for my above written book. I am trying to pay it forward.... BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!! Before I sign off from my verbose rant, I finally recommend Happy Hour to all. Cheers. [/QUOTE]

wow - that is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. Fortunately, I have done most of the suggestions on your list. I'm privileged to work with some faculty members who have sat on admissions committees at other universities for phd programs so had them dissect CV and personal statement (also all of my previous employers - field related - which brought some incredible input). Working at an APA accredited internship site and having those faculty members write recs should merit some extra consideration, right? Unfortunately, the b*** work I've done has only produced a rejected manuscript so that was on my CV but now I have to explain that it didn't follow the golden path of "under review" to "in press". The interview suggestion is my next step and, of course, I've been putting it off for fear of how terrible I will be...

Thanks again for your help, it feels good to see that you've been doing something right. No rejections yet...
 
First rejection received from University of Minnesota, on 1/27 by online status update...still waiting on 8 more schools but since most of them have appeared in the interview invite thread by now, I'm rapidly losing hope!!

what type of program?