2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Touchy, but this is understandably a touchy time of year. Note, however, that I said "unless." UNLESS you do, it would most likely be a waste of time. In all fairness, it seems the assumption was on your end.

No hard feelings-- I was not singling anyone out on this forum but rather trying to give a little balance to some of the "cult of optimism" that sometimes takes hold during this horribly stressful time of year. It is of course important to think positively, take risks, and hope for the best, but balanced self-honesty is important as well.

It is also true that there are hordes (and we're talking in the hundreds, here) of students who apply to hyper-competitive programs who are sorely lacking in the necessary credentials but then become outraged when they are rejected, some of whom border on harassing POIs over email with all sorts of questions about "why..." My current advisor has consistently served on the admissions committee and complains about this every year.

I disagree with the extreme position (again, not singling anyone out here) that there is no such thing as overreaching what may not be feasible or realistic given a certain set of credentials and background. Some applicants do hold this view.

I did notice that you said "unless" but even then I disagree with you. Please note, however, that I'm not disagreeing with "balanced self-honesty". I just don't see the cost and the time spent on a school like Yale as a waste in the overall process. But l already made that point - and yes, I get that there are some people who may not agree at the end of the day.

My main reason for responding, however, is to point out that you didn't emphasize that your concern was for those who become outraged at receiving a rejection, harass POIs, or (along these lines) experience extreme negative emotional states because of it. I think that is a very legitimate point and a great concern. I agree, people should go into these things fully understanding, realistically, what their shot is. Although, interestingly, it doesn't seem to me that anyone who posted earlier in this thread about being rejected by Yale had any such negative reaction implying that they did otherwise. And frankly, I do think that *that* advice would have sounded much differently than what you wrote earlier. Thus, I think my assumptions about what you could have been implying in your post are understandable. I simply didn't find your advice to be of a very helpful nature, especially for those who have already applied and are the main current audience of these acceptance/rejection/invite threads.

I of course understand that you were not trying to offend anyone, but telling others not to waste their time applying unless they have near perfect credentials is not the same as telling them to go into it with realistic expectations and to handle the outcome maturely if they so choose to make that choice or take that 'risk'.

So yes, no hard feelings. We can simply agree to disagree on what constitutes a 'waste of time'.
 
Long time lurker, first time ranter (be prepared)…

I graduated from undergrad a few years ago and have been working as a full-time paid research assistant doing schizophrenia research. Everyday I meet with people who have chronic mental illness for clinical interviews for a number of studies. I also have training in neuropsych testing. The other part of my job is ensuring that all of our current and new studies are IRB approved (not a small job when you consider academically affiliated hospital IRBs). I have also assist the Clinical Coordinator in preparing grant applications for our PI. Yes, I said all this in my SOP.

I work with some pretty big names at a teaching hospital of a very well known medical school. I have 3 years of undergrad research experience on top of my 2.5 post undergrad years. Every single person I talk to(PhDs, current students and other coordinators) tells me have twice the experience of most people in grad school. Yet I have 4 rejections and 0 interview invites and I applied to 16 schools. I am sooooo frustrated!!! Besides scoring a 1600 on my GRE. What can I do?


The personal statement does matter a LOT. Did you have someone who knows what they're doing look over it/help you with it? Did you email the people you want to work with before applying to make sure they're taking students? Did you get the right type of people to write your rec letters? Do you know if you had GOOD rec letters? These are all areas that are really important, and could be a factor for you. I don't know the answers to any of these questions, so I don't know about your specific situation.
 
You might have misread I wish I had a 1600, my score is closer to a 1200. Not stellar but nothing to cry about...at least for now. 😱


Some schools have a cutoff that you might not meet with those scores. Some schools publicize this cutoff (e.g., Emory) and some schools don't. Why not take a class and retake the GRE?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected via email from Roosevelt's PsyD Program. Their rejection letter could have been worded a little better. 🙄
 
The personal statement does matter a LOT. Did you have someone who knows what they're doing look over it/help you with it? Did you email the people you want to work with before applying to make sure they're taking students? Did you get the right type of people to write your rec letters? Do you know if you had GOOD rec letters? These are all areas that are really important, and could be a factor for you. I don't know the answers to any of these questions, so I don't know about your specific situation.

Yes, yes, yes! I even had current students at some of the grad programs look at my SOP for me. My letters are coming from my undergrad advisor, Harvard psychiatrist, and another psychologist who I work with. If I reapply I am going to retake the GRE and try to publish (I already have conference presentations). I am just v. disenchanted with the whole process right now.

At what point do programs screen? I thought most were 1200?
 
I also didn't think it was Illuminist's intent to offend anyone...

Thanks, psich. It wasn't meant as an affront to anyone. I do understand that there are a lot of raw feelings and free-floating anxiety at this time of the application season and for very good reasons. Believe me, I remember and was all too familiar with it when I was applying several years ago!
 
Long time lurker, first time ranter (be prepared)…

I graduated from undergrad a few years ago and have been working as a full-time paid research assistant doing schizophrenia research. Everyday I meet with people who have chronic mental illness for clinical interviews for a number of studies. I also have training in neuropsych testing. The other part of my job is ensuring that all of our current and new studies are IRB approved (not a small job when you consider academically affiliated hospital IRBs). I have also assist the Clinical Coordinator in preparing grant applications for our PI. Yes, I said all this in my SOP.

I work with some pretty big names at a teaching hospital of a very well known medical school. I have 3 years of undergrad research experience on top of my 2.5 post undergrad years. Every single person I talk to(PhDs, current students and other coordinators) tells me have twice the experience of most people in grad school. Yet I have 4 rejections and 0 interview invites and I applied to 16 schools. I am sooooo frustrated!!! Besides scoring a 1600 on my GRE. What can I do?

What I have found is your personal statement is the last thing anyone reads. It's all about getting your foot in the door with GPA, GRE scores OR connections. Personal connections function somewhat as living letters of recommendation, which are so invaluable because most programs rank LORs highest when appraising applicants. I hope that CV is up there in getting your foot in the door as well, but I've become a skeptic as a result of applying.
 
Yes, yes, yes! I even had current students at some of the grad programs look at my SOP for me. My letters are coming from my undergrad advisor, Harvard psychiatrist, and another psychologist who I work with. If I reapply I am going to retake the GRE and try to publish (I already have conference presentations). I am just v. disenchanted with the whole process right now.

At what point do programs screen? I thought most were 1200?

I feel like a lot of these places expect at least 1300 realistically (regardless of what they say), with math being higher than verbal, though at the more competitive programs my 1370 wouldn't be good enough (my current boss told me as much). Look at the averages at the schools you apply to and remember that these include people who are exceptions to the rule. Unless you have some special exception factor, you need to be higher than the average or at least as high.
 
I feel like a lot of these places expect at least 1300 realistically (regardless of what they say), with math being higher than verbal, though at the more competitive programs my 1370 wouldn't be good enough (my current boss told me as much). Look at the averages at the schools you apply to and remember that these include people who are exceptions to the rule. Unless you have some special exception factor, you need to be higher than the average or at least as high.

I've received interview invites to programs where my GRE was slightly (20-30 points) below the average.
 
I've received interview invites to programs where my GRE was slightly (20-30 points) below the average.

Then you might have an exception factor. Also, I mean this for the total of verbal & math. A high math score could make up for a slightly below average verbal score.
 
Reject from clinical program at Univ of Denver (DU) after email inquiry of app status.

Basically said if you haven't received an invite by now you're rejected 🙄


I just called the University of Denver a few minutes ago to check on this. I applied to the PsyD program. They said they are NOT finished inviting applicants to interviews, they are still reviewing apps, had a computer glitch/issue. The dates posted on the other forum for interview dates is correct.

I'm wondering how people deal with schedule conflicts when it comes to interviews or dealing with last minute flights. For example, if invited I'd be coming from NY to Denver for an interview. Since they are not done inviting and the interviews are in the Feb 20s that is very short notice. Do people ask for rescheduling? Should I suck it up and leave work on short notice? In the grand scheme of things I do not mind doing this since it is an investment in my future, but it just adds some extra anxiety to the process. Thoughts anyone?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, theoretically, half the admitted students should score below the average, right? 😉

That was my point earlier though. The people on the lower end of the average could be an exception, and with averages, it's always possible that one score could be pulling the average down.
 
I feel like a lot of these places expect at least 1300 realistically (regardless of what they say), with math being higher than verbal, though at the more competitive programs my 1370 wouldn't be good enough (my current boss told me as much). Look at the averages at the schools you apply to and remember that these include people who are exceptions to the rule. Unless you have some special exception factor, you need to be higher than the average or at least as high.

My impression has always been that numbers can keep you out, but they won't get you in necessarily. It's hard, because it really comes down to whether the POI or admissions committee wants you. Many times when people are rejected, it's not qualifications normally but fit. And citing fit really isn't very satisfying when no other reasons are provided.
 
Long time lurker, first time ranter (be prepared)…

I graduated from undergrad a few years ago and have been working as a full-time paid research assistant doing schizophrenia research. Everyday I meet with people who have chronic mental illness for clinical interviews for a number of studies. I also have training in neuropsych testing. The other part of my job is ensuring that all of our current and new studies are IRB approved (not a small job when you consider academically affiliated hospital IRBs). I have also assist the Clinical Coordinator in preparing grant applications for our PI. Yes, I said all this in my SOP.

I work with some pretty big names at a teaching hospital of a very well known medical school. I have 3 years of undergrad research experience on top of my 2.5 post undergrad years. Every single person I talk to(PhDs, current students and other coordinators) tells me have twice the experience of most people in grad school. Yet I have 4 rejections and 0 interview invites and I applied to 16 schools. I am sooooo frustrated!!! Besides scoring a 1600 on my GRE. What can I do?


You might have misread I wish I had a 1600, my score is closer to a 1200. Not stellar but nothing to cry about...at least for now. 😱

Yes, yes, yes! I even had current students at some of the grad programs look at my SOP for me. My letters are coming from my undergrad advisor, Harvard psychiatrist, and another psychologist who I work with. If I reapply I am going to retake the GRE and try to publish (I already have conference presentations). I am just v. disenchanted with the whole process right now.

At what point do programs screen? I thought most were 1200?

Hey there, RAforPsych,

It is really frustrating when the application process is not kind to you! If it does turn out you do not get in at the end of this application season, it would be reasonable to email a few POIs to get feedback.

Sometimes people with "less than average" credentials get in because of the competition pool, a unique trait or skill, or a personal connection. Sometimes really fantastic people don't get in for the very same reasons. It's very much a crapshoot, as much as that sucks.

I could tell you at this point that unless you were stellar on many unusual fronts (publications, unique experiences, really personal connections), you would not get looked at at my program on GRE alone. I can also tell you that the application pool was fierce this year, and more and more applicants have publications, sophisticated experiences (psychology and statistics), and substantial independent research as part of their application packages.

If you'd like, I would be glad to look over your app materials -- just PM them. I could also give you a better sense of the credentials of those in my class and the applicants we're seeing taken seriously on our end (without giving away personal info.).

Based on what you've written so far, it sounds like maybe some more presentations and publications would be useful, as well as some more GRE prep (as much as I hate to say it!)

Send me a PM if you'd like to chat further. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time ranter (be prepared)…

I graduated from undergrad a few years ago and have been working as a full-time paid research assistant doing schizophrenia research. Everyday I meet with people who have chronic mental illness for clinical interviews for a number of studies. I also have training in neuropsych testing. The other part of my job is ensuring that all of our current and new studies are IRB approved (not a small job when you consider academically affiliated hospital IRBs). I have also assist the Clinical Coordinator in preparing grant applications for our PI. Yes, I said all this in my SOP.

I work with some pretty big names at a teaching hospital of a very well known medical school. I have 3 years of undergrad research experience on top of my 2.5 post undergrad years. Every single person I talk to(PhDs, current students and other coordinators) tells me have twice the experience of most people in grad school. Yet I have 4 rejections and 0 interview invites and I applied to 16 schools. I am sooooo frustrated!!! Besides scoring a 1600 on my GRE. What can I do?

Did you make sure your research interests matched with faculty? Did you make sure that your post-graduate plans also fit with their mission? Finally, did you apply to a couple (or few) safety schools? . . . Good luck! This process can be so frustrating.
 
Got my own first rejection today - Texas Tech counseling, via snail mail. Bummer - thought I was an excellent match.
 
Got my own first rejection today - Texas Tech counseling, via snail mail. Bummer - thought I was an excellent match.

They tend to pick/interview post bach students. The program is designed that way...every once in a while, someone with a MS or MA would get accepted..but it's rare.
 
They tend to pick/interview post bach students. The program is designed that way...every once in a while, someone with a MS or MA would get accepted..but it's rare.

Good to know. I was a really good fit for Dr. Morgan, which is why I'm slightly...but I got an interview with one of his proteges at Southern Miss, so it's all good. And at 14 interviews plus 1 acceptance without interview I can't exactly complain too much. Except about the cost of plane fare.
 
Good to know. I was a really good fit for Dr. Morgan, which is why I'm slightly...but I got an interview with one of his proteges at Southern Miss, so it's all good. And at 14 interviews plus 1 acceptance without interview I can't exactly complain too much. Except about the cost of plane fare.

their loss
 
Wish this one got lost in the snow... snail mail rejection from Syracuse 2/10. Oh well, somehow rejection juts don't feel THAT bad when you've got interview coming up.
 
I just called the University of Denver a few minutes ago to check on this. I applied to the PsyD program. They said they are NOT finished inviting applicants to interviews, they are still reviewing apps, had a computer glitch/issue. The dates posted on the other forum for interview dates is correct.

I'm wondering how people deal with schedule conflicts when it comes to interviews or dealing with last minute flights. For example, if invited I'd be coming from NY to Denver for an interview. Since they are not done inviting and the interviews are in the Feb 20s that is very short notice. Do people ask for rescheduling? Should I suck it up and leave work on short notice? In the grand scheme of things I do not mind doing this since it is an investment in my future, but it just adds some extra anxiety to the process. Thoughts anyone?


Yes I would be interested in hearing responses concerning this issue too. I assume it would be to suck it up (financially and scheduling with work) and to go on short notice. Has anyone encountered this kind of situation or what about with those who have interview conflicts? Just pick your most preferred of the two?
 
Wish this one got lost in the snow... snail mail rejection from Syracuse 2/10. Oh well, somehow rejection juts don't feel THAT bad when you've got interview coming up.
Was that a rejection for the clinical psych program?
 
Yes I would be interested in hearing responses concerning this issue too. I assume it would be to suck it up (financially and scheduling with work) and to go on short notice. Has anyone encountered this kind of situation or what about with those who have interview conflicts? Just pick your most preferred of the two?

I had 2 interviews the same day, and I mostly did it first come, first served. I'm coming on an alternate date for the 2nd one where apparently it will just be me and 1 other person.

I also took into consideration my chances for getting in to each program, but mostly I'd already said yes to the first one and I didn't want to back out since I liked that program too. If the 2nd program had said there was no other option, then I would have gone to the first and explained the situation.
 
I had 2 interviews the same day, and I mostly did it first come, first served. I'm coming on an alternate date for the 2nd one where apparently it will just be me and 1 other person.

I also took into consideration my chances for getting in to each program, but mostly I'd already said yes to the first one and I didn't want to back out since I liked that program too. If the 2nd program had said there was no other option, then I would have gone to the first and explained the situation.

I had two interviews on the same day from programs that were about even on my list. I went with Lfirst-come, first-serve." Also, though, one of the programs was able to give me an alternate interview day, so it just worked out that the more flexible program was the second invite I got.
 
Counseling Psychology under the Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota -Twin Cities


I knew this would come. and here it is, received at 6:04pm via e-mail eastern time.🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection:

University of Calgary (Canada) - Clinical MA-PhD, Feb 11, personal email from DCT.

first official one but it hurts.
 
Two rejections:

Suffolk University by snail mail received on 2/11. Must have been sent out in waves as I live in Boston.

SDSU/UCSD by mass email today 2/12.

...sigh...
 
Rejected from UCSD/SDSU JDP via mass email saying if you haven't received an interview invite, it is unlikely you will be considered. I thought I had such a great match there, too... although my main POI didn't take a student.
 
Thanks to everyone for their helpful input! I feel at least I have learned what I can do better for the next application cycle.
 
Rejection from Clinical Program....

POI ended up not receiving grant $. Poi didn't seem that hopeful when questioned in October....so am I surprised? Ha, no.

I would like an extra $50 though after having my car towed this morning.

Oh well 🙂

It all evens out....
 
UT-Austin School Psych PhD: post-interview rejection received 2/11 via email....

I wouldn't have gone there anyway (NO funding), so I don't really care. Still would have been nice to turn them down, I guess.

Did they tell you at the interview that you wouldn't get funding, or did you just assume you wouldn't get funding because of the lower number of 1st year students who do?
 
Did they tell you at the interview that you wouldn't get funding, or did you just assume you wouldn't get funding because of the lower number of 1st year students who do?

No one does, really. Pretty much everyone takes on significant debt ($50k+ by year 3). No tuition waivers, very limited TA/RAships. They were very open about this.
 
No one does, really. Pretty much everyone takes on significant debt ($50k+ by year 3). No tuition waivers, very limited TA/RAships. They were very open about this.

Wow!!! I knew funding was bad. That's why I didn't apply there, but I didn't know it was THAT bad. Yikes!!!
 
Wow!!! I knew funding was bad. That's why I didn't apply there, but I didn't know it was THAT bad. Yikes!!!

funding wasn't good, but wasn't that awful either. i think over half of their students have tuition waivers. they just have to work at the beginning of every year to acquire them and they come in varied forms. e.g. some people have to tutor the UT football team for 10 or 20 (?) h/ week, but they get tuition waived and a nominal hourly pay.

the students did say that it was a yearly stressful event, but in the end almost always worked out. most students do work that's relevant to school psych (especially in later years) but sometimes the students have to do things that are only tangentially related. a few of the students get hooked up with good fellowship packages with waiver and stipend, but its probably only 10%. multi-year guaranteed funding is nonexistent. many of the students choose not to try and find funding at the beginning of each year and take out loans to cover expenses.
 
Last edited:
it wasn't great, but wasn't that awful. i think over half of their students have tuition waivers. they just have to work at the beginning of every year to acquire them and they come in varied forms. e.g. some people have to tutor the UT football team for 10 or 20 (?) h/ week, but they get tuition waived and a nominal hourly pay.

the students did say that it was a yearly stressful event, but in the end worked out. most students do things that are relevant to school psych (especially in later years) but sometimes the students have to do things that are only tangentially related. a few of the students get hooked up with good fellowship packages with waiver and stipend, but its probably only 10%. and multi-year promised funding is nonexistent. many of the students choose not to try and find funding at the beginning of each year and take out loans to cover expenses.

I see. Well, that is much better. Thanks for clarifying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Following emails to the graduate admissions coordinators...

UCSB, CCSP Clinical Track: Interviews are finished, but my application is still "on hand for review" (assuming this means no). Decisions will be finished by the end of March for anyone who interviewed.

Vanderbilt Clinical Ph.D.: rejection, but acceptance letters have not been sent out yet for anyone who interviewed.

Denver Clincal Ph.D.: rejection, unclear if all interviews have gone out.

Rochester Clinical Ph.D.: faculty are supposedly still giving out interviews, but the only interview day is Feb 20 so I'm not holding my breath for that one (I assume they are pretty much done with invites this close to interview day).

Grateful for my one acceptance though!!!!
 
Rejection from Loyola U in Chicago, received today via snail mail. Again, one of my top choices, but oh well. I wish every other school I'm waiting on would just reject me already instead of keeping me waiting!! Haha 🙂
 
updated! quite a few today....

Updates for the next few days will be sporadic due to my interview schedule, but I will try to update it at least every other day.