2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
funding wasn't good, but wasn't that awful either. i think over half of their students have tuition waivers. they just have to work at the beginning of every year to acquire them and they come in varied forms. e.g. some people have to tutor the UT football team for 10 or 20 (?) h/ week, but they get tuition waived and a nominal hourly pay.

the students did say that it was a yearly stressful event, but in the end almost always worked out. most students do work that's relevant to school psych (especially in later years) but sometimes the students have to do things that are only tangentially related. a few of the students get hooked up with good fellowship packages with waiver and stipend, but its probably only 10%. multi-year guaranteed funding is nonexistent. many of the students choose not to try and find funding at the beginning of each year and take out loans to cover expenses.

IIRC, the football team stuff didn't come with a tuition waiver, but I may be mis-remembering. Anyway, the debt loads the students reported were too high for me.

I take it that you were there, too, jnine? PM me?
 
Rejection from Loyola U in Chicago, received today via snail mail. Again, one of my top choices, but oh well. I wish every other school I'm waiting on would just reject me already instead of keeping me waiting!! Haha 🙂

I totally agree with that!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection from Loyola U in Chicago, received today via snail mail. Again, one of my top choices, but oh well. I wish every other school I'm waiting on would just reject me already instead of keeping me waiting!! Haha 🙂


Oops sorry I forgot to clarify- this was for the Clinical PhD, NOT PsyD that was previously listed.
 
IIRC, the football team stuff didn't come with a tuition waiver, but I may be mis-remembering. Anyway, the debt loads the students reported were too high for me.

I take it that you were there, too, jnine? PM me?


yep, I was there. the funding discussions were fragmented and unclear. they talked a lot about it but weren't really clear about it- probably because it's a fluid process that occurs every year. consequently i couldnt really get a solid picture of an incoming student's chances of getting funding, or how much it would be. that said i think that if you work 20 hours per week in a "univeristy job" you get full waiver, and if you work 10 you get half waiver, in addition to whatever hourly rate you get.
 
yep, I was there. the funding discussions were fragmented and unclear. they talked a lot about it but weren't really clear about it- probably because it's a fluid process that occurs every year. consequently i couldnt really get a solid picture of an incoming student's chances of getting funding, or how much it would be. that said i think that if you work 20 hours per week in a "univeristy job" you get full waiver, and if you work 10 you get half waiver, in addition to whatever hourly rate you get.
Were you accepted? Are you considering going there?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I applied to 5 U.S. schools and no one has contacted me regarding anything. No rejections.

Do international students even get considered in the U.S.? Are these decisions usually made later than other invitations? Confused. (I'm thinking about why I even applied to the U.S. in the first place now...)
 
Okay, I applied to 5 U.S. schools and no one has contacted me regarding anything. No rejections.

Do international students even get considered in the U.S.? Are these decisions usually made later than other invitations? Confused. (I'm thinking about why I even applied to the U.S. in the first place now...)

First and foremost, the application process (at least here in the U.S.) has always been a very slow one. Secondly, many of the top clinical programs in the U.S. are harder to get into than many medical schools. The situation has become even more dire due to the economy. More applicants have applied; thus, our chances are diminished.

Many, many, many U.S. applicants are in the same boat as you. Just reread some posts on this forum. It is sad how many people have not heard anything from their schools. So, no, I don't think it is because you are an international student. I think it is just par for the course for all of us.

Good luck! I hope you hear something soon.
 
Did anyone else get the pretentious Univ of Miami rejection letter this weekend? The final paragraph says something along the lines of, we wish you luck getting into a less selective program than ours. So ridiculous! I happen to be interviewing at a few schools that are MORE selective than Miami. I'm considering sending them an email letting them know they should think about rewording their rejection letter...
 
Did anyone else get the pretentious Univ of Miami rejection letter this weekend? The final paragraph says something along the lines of, we wish you luck getting into a less selective program than ours. So ridiculous! I happen to be interviewing at a few schools that are MORE selective than Miami. I'm considering sending them an email letting them know they should think about rewording their rejection letter...

Well, if I were in your place, and I got into one of those more selective schools, I would be soooooo tempted to send them a letter back:

Thank you for your rejection letter. I wanted you to know that not only was I able to get into a school, but I was able to get into an even more selective school.

Of course, I wouldn't actually do that. Academia is a small world. But that has to be one of the most obnoxious rejection letters!!!
 
Well, if I were in your place, and I got into one of those more selective schools, I would be soooooo tempted to send them a letter back:

Thank you for your rejection letter. I wanted you to know that not only was I able to get into a school, but I was able to get into an even more selective school.

Of course, I wouldn't actually do that. Academia is a small world. But that has to be one of the most obnoxious rejection letters!!!

I've received a rejection or two like that (one from a not-yet-accredited program), and it was really tempting to send reply saying that
"It's okay. I already got into an accredited program." I would never actually do that, of course. I've also had three schools reject me twice (you know, in case I just didn't get the message the first time around! 🙄)
 
I've received a rejection or two like that (one from a not-yet-accredited program), and it was really tempting to send reply saying that
"It's okay. I already got into an accredited program." I would never actually do that, of course. I've also had three schools reject me twice (you know, in case I just didn't get the message the first time around! 🙄)
I got 3 rejections last year from a school. One email and two letters. I got the point the first time around....I didn't need 3 "you suck" letters. 🙂
 
Did anyone else get the pretentious Univ of Miami rejection letter this weekend? The final paragraph says something along the lines of, we wish you luck getting into a less selective program than ours. So ridiculous! I happen to be interviewing at a few schools that are MORE selective than Miami. I'm considering sending them an email letting them know they should think about rewording their rejection letter...

Was this for the Clinical PhD program? If so, the child or health track?
 
I got 3 rejections last year from a school. One email and two letters. I got the point the first time around....I didn't need 3 "you suck" letters. 🙂

Heh... last time I went through this, I never got a rejection from my number 1 choice, but they did start sending me alumni requests for money 😕 Ouch!
 
Got an email from the counseling program at Univ of Tenn (knoxville) that if you weren't invited to do an interview you're pretty much rejected...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received a snail mail rejection from University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign for the clinical PhD program.
 
Today I received a snail mail rejection from USC. Not a huge surprise, but still disappointing.
 
After an e-mail rally with a POI who decided not to interview me, the words of comfort I received were that there was no negative feedback for my application, and that it took the POI FOUR tries to get into a PhD program for clinical psych. That was back in the 80s. Reading the person's CV, the person had graduated magna cum laude from a respected university and had about 4 years of research experience after undergrad in both academia and industry as well as teaching at a community college. It seriously makes me wonder sometimes about where they need to draw the line for acceptances. What was that things I heard about abuse begetting abuse? Heh.
 
Today I received a snail mail rejection from USC. Not a huge surprise, but still disappointing.

I also was rejected from USC (southern california) yesterday as well as Loyola-Chicago (phd) -- both via snail mail.

3 interviews and 3 rejections so far...I guess that's ok?

Life will go on! 😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Had anyone received a post-interview rejection from John Jay? If so, I know it's difficult (as this is my 3rd time applying), but I would appreciate any news. You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!