-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread
Started by PrisonPsych
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
"I am writing to inform you that your application has been reviewed by our Admissions Committee and was
highly rated. As we continue our admission process, we have invited selected applicants for interviews during
our Visitation Weekend on February 19th 20th, 2010.
Although you were not selected for an interview, you still remain under strong consideration as an alternate for
admission. As an alternate applicant, it is possible that you may be requested to participate in a telephone
interview. If a phone interview is necessary, we will contact you prior to April 13, 2010.
We hope that you will keep us informed about your academic plans and intentions. Our final admissions
decisions will be made no later than April 15, 2010 and you will be notified of that decision as soon as
reasonably possible."
Did anyone else get an email from UFL like this? Is this the same rejection letter that was mailed to some other applicants last week?
Like really? These "maybes" are killing me!
highly rated. As we continue our admission process, we have invited selected applicants for interviews during
our Visitation Weekend on February 19th 20th, 2010.
Although you were not selected for an interview, you still remain under strong consideration as an alternate for
admission. As an alternate applicant, it is possible that you may be requested to participate in a telephone
interview. If a phone interview is necessary, we will contact you prior to April 13, 2010.
We hope that you will keep us informed about your academic plans and intentions. Our final admissions
decisions will be made no later than April 15, 2010 and you will be notified of that decision as soon as
reasonably possible."
Did anyone else get an email from UFL like this? Is this the same rejection letter that was mailed to some other applicants last week?
Like really? These "maybes" are killing me!
"I am writing to inform you that your application has been reviewed by our Admissions Committee and was
highly rated. As we continue our admission process, we have invited selected applicants for interviews during
our Visitation Weekend on February 19th 20th, 2010.
Although you were not selected for an interview, you still remain under strong consideration as an alternate for
admission. As an alternate applicant, it is possible that you may be requested to participate in a telephone
interview. If a phone interview is necessary, we will contact you prior to April 13, 2010.
We hope that you will keep us informed about your academic plans and intentions. Our final admissions
decisions will be made no later than April 15, 2010 and you will be notified of that decision as soon as
reasonably possible."
Did anyone else get an email from UFL like this? Is this the same rejection letter that was mailed to some other applicants last week?
Like really? These "maybes" are killing me!
I don't know that I would call this a rejection. I would say that this is a waitlist post. . . . But, that is a really long waiting game. Oy. Good luck. I hope you hear from another program sooner than that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not all over. It's just beginning! Get energized and ready to compete at those two interviews! 5 or 6 competitors per slot? You can handle that. Those are not overwhelming odds. How many people did you beat out to get into those interviews?
Thanks. I needed that. 😀
Really thoughtful rejection email from Temple DCT today, 2/5 (clinical)
Was this after you inquired about your status or more of a mass email kind of thing?
Back from my interview, and the thread has been updated. It will also be updated on Saturday, but then probably not again until Tuesday, as I'll be out of town for another interview.
Rejected from Clark clinical phd today
Was this a mass email? I emailed them a while ago and they told me I was on some sort of a 'waitlist' but that they already sent out the invites for the interview days. Which I thought meant I was rejected. But maybe I am really on a waitlist? 😕
For past applicants: do you think there is a chance to be accepted off a waitlist at a school where you didn't interview?
Was this a mass email? I emailed them a while ago and they told me I was on some sort of a 'waitlist' but that they already sent out the invites for the interview days. Which I thought meant I was rejected. But maybe I am really on a waitlist? 😕
For past applicants: do you think there is a chance to be accepted off a waitlist at a school where you didn't interview?
I have read posts from two people on this forum that said it happened to them. . . . but it is rare.
Rutgers University (PsyD) - rejection received 2/5/10 after email inquiry to POI
has anyone else heard from rutgers psyd? my online status thingy still says "no decision." hmmm ... i mean, my hopes aren't very high, as they get tons of applicants, but, just wondering..
has anyone applied/heard anything from McGill? my online status still says ready for review and nobody has posted anything about it!
Does anyone else find that post-interview rejections feel worse than pre-interview ones? So close and yet so far away!
Does anyone else find that post-interview rejections feel worse than pre-interview ones? So close and yet so far away!
That makes perfect sense. I was recently rejected by a program that did not interview me. I thought I would be more upset by it than I was. . . . But, I have an interview this week, and I am getting my hopes up, so I know a rejection from this program would definitely hurt more.
I think it is all about getting your hopes up, and then getting them dashed. The closer one gets to the prize, the more hopeful one becomes, and the more heartbreaking it is to be rejected.
Does anyone else find that post-interview rejections feel worse than pre-interview ones? So close and yet so far away!
I haven't received any post-interview rejections at this point, but I would imagine it would feel worse. In my head it's sort of like the 'It's not you, it's me' break-up excuse. In reality it does probably have to do with things like comfort level, whether or not you have funding, minor differences in strengths between you and your competition, and just general connection between you and your POI. But, it still sounds like they're saying 'It's not you it's me, but... it's still sort of you.' I'm dreading receiving these, haha.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To the person who received an email stating they were rejected for Marquette's Counseling program-was this after you interviewed? I only ask as I just went through an interview on 01/29/10 and have not heard anything back yet.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get good news, but if you could be kind enough to answer my question I'd appreciate it. I'm stting on pins and needles here.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get good news, but if you could be kind enough to answer my question I'd appreciate it. I'm stting on pins and needles here.
has anyone applied/heard anything from McGill? my online status still says ready for review and nobody has posted anything about it!
Mine says the same. I contacted the program a little while ago, and was told that if interested in your application, your POI would contact you during the first 2 weeks of February. So...one week still to go!
Hi all!
Question: I interviewed at UGA (one of my top choices) and it is up on the rejection list saying that people got post-interview rejections on february 1 and 3 which I did not receive. But on the acceptance/waitlist thread, it also shows that people have heard back about acceptances and waitlists so what does it mean that I have not heard anything? Also, if you were one of the people to either get accepted or rejected from Georgia please PM me your POI... Good luck everyone! Thanks!
Question: I interviewed at UGA (one of my top choices) and it is up on the rejection list saying that people got post-interview rejections on february 1 and 3 which I did not receive. But on the acceptance/waitlist thread, it also shows that people have heard back about acceptances and waitlists so what does it mean that I have not heard anything? Also, if you were one of the people to either get accepted or rejected from Georgia please PM me your POI... Good luck everyone! Thanks!
Rejected at clinical program at Wisconsin-Madison by POI upon email inquiry. Email was the nicest rejection possible. POI was Seth Pollak and he only took one student.
Does anyone else find that post-interview rejections feel worse than pre-interview ones? So close and yet so far away!
Hey Future and prisonpsych -
you've both been on a ton of interviews - do you find post-interview decisions to be quick or do they keep you waiting?
Hey Future and prisonpsych -
you've both been on a ton of interviews - do you find post-interview decisions to be quick or do they keep you waiting?
I'm only actually just at my 3rd one right now - I think future's were earlier because a lot of hers were school psych. The one I had 3 weeks ago still hasn't told me anything, and obviously I haven't heard anything from the one I just did Friday or the one I'm doing today! I think a lot of it depends on the program.
my poi at tx austin will not be taking students this year. Not so much a surprise considering she didn't sound too confident back in October.
What's worse....is that the other school I was interested in turns out will not be a good match career wise.
I had turned down 3 interviews (only one of which I regret) and now only have one invite left and another school who hasn't sent out invites yet (i believe). Looks like I will be reapplying next year.
Oh well 🙂
What's worse....is that the other school I was interested in turns out will not be a good match career wise.
I had turned down 3 interviews (only one of which I regret) and now only have one invite left and another school who hasn't sent out invites yet (i believe). Looks like I will be reapplying next year.
Oh well 🙂
I'm only actually just at my 3rd one right now - I think future's were earlier because a lot of hers were school psych. The one I had 3 weeks ago still hasn't told me anything, and obviously I haven't heard anything from the one I just did Friday or the one I'm doing today! I think a lot of it depends on the program.
Yeah, it seems to vary A LOT school by school.
both my interviewers said would be quick turn around.... LOL bs, but I am realistic I know from previous years it probably wont be until end of the month,
Official rejection from Yale via website. I already knew this was coming since my POI said he ended up not taking a student--would have been nice to know when he encouraged me to apply last fall instead of after paying the $95 app fee. Ehh, I guess that's the way this whole thing works...
Just got an "Alternate" letter from University of Florida. apparently, if they don't like the people who actually got an interview, they'll call me. I'm thinking this is an unofficial rejection. I got the same thing from the University of Alabama at Birmingham last week.
has anyone else heard from rutgers psyd? my online status thingy still says "no decision." hmmm ... i mean, my hopes aren't very high, as they get tons of applicants, but, just wondering..
I didn't know we had to pick a POI for Rutgers Psy.D.
did we?
I didn't know we had to pick a POI for Rutgers Psy.D.
did we?
i dont think so! i hope not (because i didnt)! i was really confused when i saw this up there. i was hoping the person/anyone who heard from rutgers psyd would shed light on this, and in the event it was supposed to rutgers phd someone would clear that up.
Official rejection from Yale via website. I already knew this was coming since my POI said he ended up not taking a student--would have been nice to know when he encouraged me to apply last fall instead of after paying the $95 app fee. Ehh, I guess that's the way this whole thing works...
Also rejected... Oh well, one less school to worry about I guess!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey SilverBelle, I just got a waitlist message from UFL as well. It could be worse, it's definitely not an outright rejection (and you don't have to travel all the way there and interview for the privilege of becoming an alternate).
Application for Clinical PhD at Yale rejected today, via online status update 🙁
Is this under application status? I followed the link here http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/admissions/application.html which just led me to the application website... and when I log in all it says there is the same as before "Application Status: Completed on 12/21/2009 1:56:00 AM".
I'm not holding my breath though.
Hi all!
Question: I interviewed at UGA (one of my top choices) and it is up on the rejection list saying that people got post-interview rejections on february 1 and 3 which I did not receive. But on the acceptance/waitlist thread, it also shows that people have heard back about acceptances and waitlists so what does it mean that I have not heard anything? Also, if you were one of the people to either get accepted or rejected from Georgia please PM me your POI... Good luck everyone! Thanks!
Hey - I'm on the waitlist.... They seem to have only notified people who were accepted or outright rejected. I had to e-mail my POI directly to find out (as did someone else I know). So... I'm guessing it means you're on the waitlist too. Honestly, they should tell you these things. But I'd e-mail them to double check just in case.
Guys- I really wouldn't waste your time or money on places like Yale unless you have near-perfect GRE scores and GPA, have worked with famous people (and have rec letters from them), have several solid publications, and a good inside connection. Not that it's impossible to get in without some of those things, but the odds are strongly stacked against you. An old acquaintance of mine who did Yale undergrad got in about 3 or 4 years ago when I was also applying to grad schools, and he gave me the above advice. Needless to say, I tried to apply anyway (also on being encouraged to do so by a professor there, grrrr!), and I got the swiftest, fastest rejection I've ever gotten 
Same thing for lots of the Ivies like UPenn and Harvard though Teachers College Columbia is a bit easier (but a little behind the 8-ball on evidence based practice and with a few cooky faculty members).

Same thing for lots of the Ivies like UPenn and Harvard though Teachers College Columbia is a bit easier (but a little behind the 8-ball on evidence based practice and with a few cooky faculty members).
Guys- I really wouldn't waste your time or money on places like Yale unless you have near-perfect GRE scores and GPA, have worked with famous people (and have rec letters from them), have several solid publications, and a good inside connection. Not that it's impossible to get in without some of those things, but the odds are strongly stacked against you. An old acquaintance of mine who did Yale undergrad got in about 3 or 4 years ago when I was also applying to grad schools, and he gave me the above advice. Needless to say, I tried to apply anyway (also on being encouraged to do so by a professor there, grrrr!), and I got the swiftest, fastest rejection I've ever gotten
Same thing for lots of the Ivies like UPenn and Harvard though Teachers College Columbia is a bit easier (but a little behind the 8-ball on evidence based practice and with a few cooky faculty members).
:/
#1. I certainly didn't waste my time or money on Yale. I have very competitive credentials (along what you describe) and find it odd that you slightly assume those of us who applied don't.
#2. Even if other applicants don't have similar credentials taking a chance is not a waste. [I wouldn't have gotten into my undergraduate institution if I had taken your advice.]
#3. In my mind: If you *don't* apply then you are 100% rejected. If you even have a chance, that's better than none. And $100 in your life time will normally not be missed.
Last edited:
:/
#1. I certainly didn't waste my time or money on Yale. I have very competitive credentials (along what you describe) and find it odd that you slightly assume those of us who applied don't.
#2. Even if other applicants don't have similar credentials taking a chance is not a waste. [I wouldn't have gotten into my undergraduate institution if I had taken your advice.]
#3. In my mind: If you *don't* apply then you are 100% rejected. If you even have a chance, that's better than none. And $100 in your life time will normally not be missed.
Ditto. I have everything that was mentioned in the above post except near-perfect GRE scores. I was just venting because my POI encouraged me to apply but then didn't take a student. As I mentioned, it's just the way this whole process works unfortunately.
I didn't know we had to pick a POI for Rutgers Psy.D.
did we?
I applied to the Rutgers PhD program and one of my POIs indicated that he would be taking a PsyD student rather than a PhD student this year. Not sure if that means they choose you or you indicate interest in them, though.
2
242598
.
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I was curious when is too early to inquire about a rejection or why you didn't receive an interview? (e.g. Administration told you you were not on the interview list). Furthermore, should you email your POI or the DCT?
Thank you!
Thank you!
Reject from clinical program at Univ of Denver (DU) after email inquiry of app status.
Basically said if you haven't received an invite by now you're rejected 🙄
Basically said if you haven't received an invite by now you're rejected 🙄
both my interviewers said would be quick turn around.... LOL bs, but I am realistic I know from previous years it probably wont be until end of the month,
You heard anything yet from Alabama?
Anyone heard anything post-interview from UT (Texas) school psych?
:/
#1. I certainly didn't waste my time or money on Yale. I have very competitive credentials (along what you describe) and find it odd that you slightly assume those of us who applied don't.
#2. Even if other applicants don't have similar credentials taking a chance is not a waste. [I wouldn't have gotten into my undergraduate institution if I had taken your advice.]
#3. In my mind: If you *don't* apply then you are 100% rejected. If you even have a chance, that's better than none. And $100 in your life time will normally not be missed.
Touchy, but this is understandably a touchy time of year. Note, however, that I said "unless." UNLESS you do, it would most likely be a waste of time. In all fairness, it seems the assumption was on your end.
No hard feelings-- I was not singling anyone out on this forum but rather trying to give a little balance to some of the "cult of optimism" that sometimes takes hold during this horribly stressful time of year. It is of course important to think positively, take risks, and hope for the best, but balanced self-honesty is important as well.
It is also true that there are hordes (and we're talking in the hundreds, here) of students who apply to hyper-competitive programs who are sorely lacking in the necessary credentials but then become outraged when they are rejected, some of whom border on harassing POIs over email with all sorts of questions about "why..." My current advisor has consistently served on the admissions committee and complains about this every year.
I disagree with the extreme position (again, not singling anyone out here) that there is no such thing as overreaching what may not be feasible or realistic given a certain set of credentials and background. Some applicants do hold this view.
Long time lurker, first time ranter (be prepared)
I graduated from undergrad a few years ago and have been working as a full-time paid research assistant doing schizophrenia research. Everyday I meet with people who have chronic mental illness for clinical interviews for a number of studies. I also have training in neuropsych testing. The other part of my job is ensuring that all of our current and new studies are IRB approved (not a small job when you consider academically affiliated hospital IRBs). I have also assist the Clinical Coordinator in preparing grant applications for our PI. Yes, I said all this in my SOP.
I work with some pretty big names at a teaching hospital of a very well known medical school. I have 3 years of undergrad research experience on top of my 2.5 post undergrad years. Every single person I talk to(PhDs, current students and other coordinators) tells me have twice the experience of most people in grad school. Yet I have 4 rejections and 0 interview invites and I applied to 16 schools. I am sooooo frustrated!!! Besides scoring a 1600 on my GRE. What can I do?
I graduated from undergrad a few years ago and have been working as a full-time paid research assistant doing schizophrenia research. Everyday I meet with people who have chronic mental illness for clinical interviews for a number of studies. I also have training in neuropsych testing. The other part of my job is ensuring that all of our current and new studies are IRB approved (not a small job when you consider academically affiliated hospital IRBs). I have also assist the Clinical Coordinator in preparing grant applications for our PI. Yes, I said all this in my SOP.
I work with some pretty big names at a teaching hospital of a very well known medical school. I have 3 years of undergrad research experience on top of my 2.5 post undergrad years. Every single person I talk to(PhDs, current students and other coordinators) tells me have twice the experience of most people in grad school. Yet I have 4 rejections and 0 interview invites and I applied to 16 schools. I am sooooo frustrated!!! Besides scoring a 1600 on my GRE. What can I do?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected from Montana School Psych PhD via status inquiry to POI (turns out he wasn't taking a student 🙁 )
Oh, well, they (School Psych, not Clinical--Clinical is accredited) are unaccredited anyway, so I'm not too broken up about it.
I'm going to miss my current PI (I'm an undergrad at UM) like crazy, though!
Oh, well, they (School Psych, not Clinical--Clinical is accredited) are unaccredited anyway, so I'm not too broken up about it.
I'm going to miss my current PI (I'm an undergrad at UM) like crazy, though!
Last edited:
Hey RAforPsych
I wish I could have your superb GRE scores. If I were you, I would have applied tons of best schools which I actually did not end up applying due to low GRE scores. I applied 12 schools, had one invite so far. From the program I received the invite, I showed my concern to POI about my low GRE scores. And she told me the interesting story. She looked at my CV and SOP and became interested in whom I worked with. GRE matters sometimes (for the schools that screen out people), but it is your SOP. SOP does not tell what you did. This is an abstract of yourself describing who you are and what you will achieve based on skills and experiences you had. I know it will be hard for you. And also for me.
Every year, chances are different. Good Luck to All.
I wish I could have your superb GRE scores. If I were you, I would have applied tons of best schools which I actually did not end up applying due to low GRE scores. I applied 12 schools, had one invite so far. From the program I received the invite, I showed my concern to POI about my low GRE scores. And she told me the interesting story. She looked at my CV and SOP and became interested in whom I worked with. GRE matters sometimes (for the schools that screen out people), but it is your SOP. SOP does not tell what you did. This is an abstract of yourself describing who you are and what you will achieve based on skills and experiences you had. I know it will be hard for you. And also for me.
Every year, chances are different. Good Luck to All.
W
whataboutangela
I applied to the Rutgers PhD program and one of my POIs indicated that he would be taking a PsyD student rather than a PhD student this year. Not sure if that means they choose you or you indicate interest in them, though.
I don't know. I mentioned two professors as my POIs in my application to Rutgers PsyD this year. I thought I had to. Besides, I really want to work with this one professor.
I have noticed that lots of Rutgers PsyD faculty are teaching Rutgers PhD. I didn't see this last year.
Still waiting to hear from Rutgers though...
You might have misread I wish I had a 1600, my score is closer to a 1200. Not stellar but nothing to cry about...at least for now. 😱
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 1K