2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no picture here right?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about politics too... The overall theme of my essay is healthcare, and how their school philosophy and curriculum is a step towards reform. Do you guys think healthcare is too touchy of a subject?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about politics too... The overall theme of my essay is healthcare, and how their school philosophy and curriculum is a step towards reform. Do you guys think healthcare is too touchy of a subject?

Mehhh. I think the healthcare issue may be too closely tied to politics. If you support it, you are generally liberal. If you don't, you are conservative. So it sort of puts you in a luck of the draw, depending on who reviews your application (and their party affiliation).

Might not be true, but it has been rumored to play a factor.

Based on their emphasis on preventive care and spiritual understanding, I sure hope they are in support of healthcare reform... Otherwise I would have some problems attending the school. I guess this is a good way to see if I really would fit in there!

Based on their emphasis on preventive care and spiritual understanding, I sure hope they are in support of healthcare reform... Otherwise I would have some problems attending the school. I guess this is a good way to see if I really would fit in there!

lol good point!

If it makes you feel better, i sorta wrote about reform and how its important and some of the programs they offer dealing with that , that I want to take advantage of...i suppose only an interview/rejection will tell me if that was a good way to go :p

If it makes you feel better, i sorta wrote about reform and how its important and some of the programs they offer dealing with that , that I want to take advantage of...i suppose only an interview/rejection will tell me if that was a good way to go :p

Yeah, from what I understand, both conservative and liberal DOCTORS agree that the current healthcare system is not working. The people I read who are against healthcare reform are either conservative, or work in the insurance industry. I would feel more uncomfortable if I wrote an essay about why we should not reformat health care.

Yeah, from what I understand, both conservative and liberal DOCTORS agree that the current healthcare system is not working. The people I read who are against healthcare reform are either conservative, or work in the insurance industry. I would feel more uncomfortable if I wrote an essay about why we should not reformat health care.

Truth!

To weigh in briefly on the cura personalis/holistic/osteopathic discussion, I visited Georgetown last year to talk with an admissions counselor. I told her I liked the idea of cura personalis, and that I found it similar to the whole-person care approach of osteopathic schools, to which I am also applying. She laughed at me, and told me not to waste my time with osteopathic schools, and to instead "get a real medical education".

Moral of the story: don't compare G-town to Osteo schools!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
To weigh in briefly on the cura personalis/holistic/osteopathic discussion, I visited Georgetown last year to talk with an admissions counselor. I told her I liked the idea of cura personalis, and that I found it similar to the whole-person care approach of osteopathic schools, to which I am also applying. She laughed at me, and told me not to waste my time with osteopathic schools, and to instead "get a real medical education".

Moral of the story: don't compare G-town to Osteo schools!:D

Yeah...I highly doubt this.

Has anyone gotten any updates yet. There status page does not really give much info

So, who else dislikes writing a paper about why you want to go to a school? I mean, don't get me wrong, I am actually excited about some of their programs and such, but its almost as long as the personal statement...

i've been saying all along that it's my least favorite secondary question, but now that i'm all done writing them... in retrospect i kind of like it. it forces me to identify my reasons for applying to each school. :shrug:

I got the "complete" email on 7/21 and I haven't heard anything yet.

same same.

I got the secondary application received email, but never the application complete email... and that was like a couple weeks ago. Might be time to call.

I got the secondary application received email, but never the application complete email... and that was like a couple weeks ago. Might be time to call.

there status page doesn't tell us much. I will call them next week.

I had the same problem. I don't know what day I finished the secondary off the top of my head, but it was about two weeks ago. I called them today since I hadn't received an email and got some explanation about processing. So you should be fine as long as all the other AMCAS letter schools got your letters and if your status on the website has the checkmarks for payment and application. Of course, you can still call and double check. Remember that they have received absurd numbers of applications and have a ton of work ahead of them.

there status page doesn't tell us much. I will call them next week.

They have processed only a few applications for next year - still busy with orientation and what not. They will send an email when your application has been "processed" and considered complete (or of course, if they need anything else).

I had the same problem. I don't know what day I finished the secondary off the top of my head, but it was about two weeks ago. I called them today since I hadn't received an email and got some explanation about processing. So you should be fine as long as all the other AMCAS letter schools got your letters and if your status on the website has the checkmarks for payment and application. Of course, you can still call and double check. Remember that they have received absurd numbers of applications and have a ton of work ahead of them.

Thanks, that helps.

Yea, I got a secondary received email on the 15th but haven't heard anything since. I do know that they get a high volume of applicants, so maybe I will wait and call them next week. But it seems like GW processes things alot faster. Some people already got secondary invites

Yea, I got a secondary received email on the 15th but haven't heard anything since. I do know that they get a high volume of applicants, so maybe I will wait and call them next week. But it seems like GW processes things alot faster. Some people already got secondary invites

interview?

also, GW's secondary was out at the beginning of june and i'm sure some people submitted super early. so they've had longer to process apps.

lol I meant interview invites. You do have a point, their secondary was out earlier

lol I meant interview invites. You do have a point, their secondary was out earlier
over august we will all see many interviews going out i wouldnt worry. Near every school starts interviews in sept.

submitted 7/26
complete 7/29

they're too fast. I love it. :D:D:D

Ha. Lies. I submitted here on 7/10 and am STILL waiting for a complete email...:whistle:

I swear, I'm working on my patience!

wow that is quite a wait. should you call them? I'm just surprised they did my file so quick.

is it just me or the application doesn't have a section for LOR's?! did you guys find that info on their website? can someone please post the link for me thanks :)

found it, its two required science and can have 5 max in case anyone else needs to know :D

now i gotta decide who im gonna leave out ahhh

found it, its two required science and can have 5 max in case anyone else needs to know :D

now i gotta decide who im gonna leave out ahhh

for me...all 7 of my letters were in a committee packet. This way, I won't be affected by the 5 letters max policy.

i have all individual letters (6 of them) coming from my career center as a packet but its not a "letter packet" im still confused on that. they are uploaded on amcas as individually letters though =/

i have all individual letters (6 of them) coming from my career center as a packet but its not a "letter packet" im still confused on that. they are uploaded on amcas as individually letters though =/

i think a letter packet has a cover letter on top of it.

i think a letter packet has a cover letter on top of it.

Not to be nitpicky but a cover letter is usually included in a committee letter, but not a letter packet. A letter packet is simply a few letters your school collects for you and submits to AMCAS together as one letter. These typically do not have a cover letter of any substance included.

Not to be nitpicky but a cover letter is usually included in a committee letter, but not a letter packet. A letter packet is simply a few letters your school collects for you and submits to AMCAS together as one letter. These typically do not have a cover letter of any substance included.

so can you guys pick and chose between the letters in your "letter packet" or it always has to go together? just wondering..

so can you guys pick and chose between the letters in your "letter packet" or it always has to go together? just wondering..
Normally you cant pick and choose as the whoel point of a packet is that you compile all the LORs into a packet. At least thats how its done at UCI.

should i just assign all my 6 individual letters on amcas? they are gonna get it all together anyway :oops:

at my school, I can choose to have a committee letter on top of all my letters or just a cover letter saying "please accept these letters..."

Normally you cant pick and choose as the whoel point of a packet is that you compile all the LORs into a packet. At least thats how its done at UCI.

Well I can choose which ones to send in. I can't read it but my adviser summarized each one for me. this way I can know if it's good or bad. plus...they also tell me which one I should send b/c they believe it to be helpful to my app.

at my school, I can choose to have a committee letter on top of all my letters or just a cover letter saying "please accept these letters..."

Well I can choose which ones to send in. I can't read it but my adviser summarized each one for me. this way I can know if it's good or bad. plus...they also tell me which one I should send b/c they believe it to be helpful to my app.

wow thats awesome!! i wish we had that at my school, our pre-health is good for nothing and now is not even helping me with secondaries :(

finally done here :soexcited: lets hope my essay is worth $130 ;)
next year i swear gtown is gonna charge 150...they are just going to keep raising it until they stop getting 12k apps+ per year lol

next year i swear gtown is gonna charge 150...they are just going to keep raising it until they stop getting 12k apps+ per year lol

seriously!! if i dont get into med school this cycle i will apply for work at their admissions office :smuggrin:

I can't seem to get to the application. every time I click on the link, I receive an error.

Elijah,

FAPpers like you and me don't have to worry about Georgetown's fee. We're not affected if they do jack up the price. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.