2009-2010 Grad School Interview Invite Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had heard that Emory might be doing a 2nd round of interviews? Anyone have any news on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they're still doing interviews b/c of the snow storm.

Are you talking about the PsyD in Clinical or school? I was specifically asking about the clinical program... Their interview was right after the blizzard so are they making up interviews for those who couldnt make it? Or was there a second day of interviews?
Please tell me early March and not late March... I can't wait :scared:....

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

while at interviews last week, i met applicants scheduled to interview at university of virginia and university of washington (both clinical phd). i didn't ask more specific info., so not sure about POIs, mass e-mails, etc.

there is also someone on grad school cafe who has apparently heard from uva (phone screen then interview invite).

Members don't see this ad :)
I received and invite yesterday, 2/15, by phone call then a personal email for an interview on 2/24, 3/5 or 3/8 at PGSP-Stanford Consortium, PsyD. Can anyone tell me more about this program than what the website offers? I'm coming all the way from NY and I have concerns about tuition and general expenses in that area. Any opinions on whether it is totally worth it?
I interviewed there last year (didn't get accepted, obviously :D), but didn't apply this year. I thought it seemed like a great program; the curriculum looked well-planned and interesting, the faculty and students I spoke with were intelligent and friendly, there are lots of excellent practica sites in the area, and because of the connection to Stanford, the research opportunities were AMAZING. Unfortunately, the costs were amazing as well. The tuition is higher than most other non-funded PsyD programs, and living in that part of the San Francisco Bay Area is exceptionally expensive. Because of the location of the new PGSP campus (in the hills behind the Stanford campus), you'd almost certainly want a car; living in and commuting from a less expensive part of the SF Bay Area wouldn't be a good option, though, unless you like sitting in traffic for a couple of hours a day. Up to you to assess your options, of course, but the cost is DEFINITELY a huge issue with that program. :(

Upset that I have not heard from CW Post. How many people out there heard?

Hopefully, more invitations are coming.

:xf:

I just received a mass e-mail invite for an interview on March 5.

Waiting for an invite from DU....still no word on their online application system. Anyone wanna cancel their invite there and free up some space ?? :)

Upset that I have not heard from CW Post. How many people out there heard?

Hopefully, more invitations are coming.

:xf:

I received a mass email invite yesterday for an interview on Feb 21st. Good luck, I hope you hear from them soon.

Waiting for an invite from DU....still no word on their online application system. Anyone wanna cancel their invite there and free up some space ?? :)

(assuming you mean University of Denver) I guess I mayhave misunderstood the previous post about their on-line system -- Have they mostly invited people who used the paper-based application option?

(assuming you mean University of Denver) I guess I mayhave misunderstood the previous post about their on-line system -- Have they mostly invited people who used the paper-based application option?

Yes it's U of Denver. They just haven't updated their online system which states that the application is complete and under review. It's been like that since January. I even turned it in for Early Consideration in December and still no word. Does anyone know whether they actually update the status if you're rejected or if they just leave it and you never get a call?? Confusing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it's U of Denver. They just haven't updated their online system which states that the application is complete and under review. It's been like that since January. I even turned it in for Early Consideration in December and still no word. Does anyone know whether they actually update the status if you're rejected or if they just leave it and you never get a call?? Confusing!

Sadly, I got my rejection letter from DU today in the mail :( maybe that means no news is good news for you!

Hi,

I thought I saw some buzz a little while back that said that St. John's was going to start sending out some invites soon... Any idea if that has happened yet? My application has been complete there for since November 1st!
Unreal, some of these schools are so disorganized.

Quite the contrary. Faculty go through every applicant's folder at least 3 times before making a decision, and several more times after that to ensure they're rejecting and inviting qualified applicants.

It's easy to pass judgment when you're on the other side of the fence, but it'd be best to keep it to yourself. I understand that waiting is quite anxiety-provoking but faculty still have to teach/mentor/supervise/conduct research/run private practices/attending conferences while dealing with the 280+ applications we got this year.

AFAIK, St. John's isn't done sending out invites yet, so be patient.

Last edited:
Quite the contrary. Faculty go through every applicant's folder at least 3 times before making a decision, and several more times after that to ensure they're rejecting and inviting qualified applicants.

It's easy to pass judgment when you're on the other side of the fence, but it'd be best to keep it to yourself. I understand that waiting is quite anxiety-provoking but faculty still have to teach/mentor/supervise/conduct research/run private practices/attending conferences while dealing with the 280+ applications we got this year.

AFAIK, St. John's isn't done sending out invites yet, so be patient.

Thanks Nononora! I was hoping they weren't done yet!

I got my rejection letter from the clinical child phd program today as well. The letter was dated February 8th. Hope you didn't receive it!

I got my rejection letter from the clinical child phd program today as well. The letter was dated February 8th. Hope you didn't receive it!

I should have clarified... I was referencing the Psy.D program, not Ph.D

Does anyone know how many students Nova Southeastern invites for clinical phd interviews? I noticed their website says something like 150 applied last year and they accepted ~30. Those numbers seem fairly large. What's the catch?

Still very much hoping CW Post and Univ. of Denver aren't done inviting. tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock.

Do they do straight up rejections before they interview anyone? In a way that would feel better than waiting waiting waiting.

Interview invite received from St. John's University (Clinical Ph.D.) today via mass email. Interview dates are 3/1 or 3/2. :O)

Does anyone know how many students Nova Southeastern invites for clinical phd interviews? I noticed their website says something like 150 applied last year and they accepted ~30. Those numbers seem fairly large. What's the catch?

I don't think there's really a catch. It's just not that competitive. It's a fairly new school, it's a relatively unfunded PhD, and it's hard to imagine any possibility of a landing an R1 academic post with a degree from there - in other words it's basically a Psy.D where research is emphasized.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's the reality as I understand it.

hey all,

i was wondering what you have done/what you think about a way to say thank you to a student who is hosting you for an interview? i definitely don't want to seem like a suck up, but i just feel like some sort of token of appreciation is warranted. thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am still waiting to hear from 7 (out of 11) of the programs I applied to. Has anyone heard from:

BU
Emory
U Wisconsin
Wash U
Vanderbilt???

I've gotten 3 rejections and 1 interview invite. This is such an arduous process. Congrats to all of you who are hearing back!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am still waiting to hear from 7 (out of 11) of the programs I applied to. Has anyone heard from:

BU
Emory
U Wisconsin
Wash U
Vanderbilt???

I've gotten 3 rejections and 1 interview invite. This is such an arduous process. Congrats to all of you who are hearing back!

Invites for BU and WashU (if you mean Washington University in St. Louis) have been sent out.
BU had its first interview weekend this past weekend (and has their second one coming up soon). WashU has its interview weekend on 2/25 (they are also tight on funding this year btw so not all POIs who thought they were taking students will be able to).

Oh and PS - the rest of the schools on your list are on the first page of this thread (i.e., interviews have been sent out). Just check the original post (it gets updated) for the relevant information.

Hi Everyone,

BU
Emory
U Wisconsin
Wash U
Vanderbilt???

Emory had its interview a couple weeks ago, so that's gone out.

Invites for BU and WashU (if you mean Washington University in St. Louis) have been sent out.
BU had its first interview weekend this past weekend (and has their second one coming up soon). WashU has its interview weekend on 2/25 (they are also tight on funding this year btw so not all POIs who thought they were taking students will be able to).

Oh and PS - the rest of the schools on your list are on the first page of this thread (i.e., interviews have been sent out). Just check the original post (it gets updated) for the relevant information.

I second this PS. The first post tells you everything you need to know.

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone else on this forum besides me who has been offered an interview for the Psy.D. program at Roosevelt. If so, I was hoping we could collaborate and help each other prepare for the interview.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My apologies everyone, I'm just new to this...I accidentally posted my question here.

Hey Halstead - to help you out here - you should be posting under the thread that the moderator moved you to (i.e., http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679923&page=50). This topic can go under one of the interview threads and shouldn't be a topic of it's own. So, yes, you did post incorrectly the first time (by putting it in the main forum) but you didn't post it in the wrong thread (once it was moved there by the mod is when you thought you put it there wrongly). I assume you will be moved again to the right place.

Does that make sense?

I am still waiting to hear back one way or the other from CW Post. I am hoping, praying, and wishing I hear something good since it is the only school I applied to for transfer from a PhD to a PsyD.
Maybe tomorrow???

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone else on this forum besides me who has been offered an interview for the Psy.D. program at Roosevelt. If so, I was hoping we could collaborate and help each other prepare for the interview.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

hey there, when is your interview? i'll be there on 2/26, i'm not even sure how to prepare. i'll begin by reading my poi's research but other than that idk

Hi Everyone,

BU
Emory
U Wisconsin
Wash U
Vanderbilt???

Grad office at Vanderbilt told me last week that they are done with interviews and in the process of making final decisions, therefore I should not expect to hear from them (except for an official rejection)

Wisconsin (Madison I'm assuming?) lets each POI operate on their own timeline. They do phone interviews and you can go visit once accepted. My POI is still interviewing.

To any who may be interested, Vanderbilt had 250 applicants for 7 spots in their Clinical program.

Received email today. Interview dates are March 1st and March 2nd. That makes four.

I started this process with extreme anxiety and was often in tears by the end of the day. Between applications, balancing research, coursework and work responsibilities, it felt so useless. A complete waste of time with a huge ticket of disappointment attached to it.The tears were mostly due to me not thinking that I had any chance of even making it to interviews. I am now allowing myself to be cautiously optimistic. Out of four, one has to bite, right?
Right?

Yes it does, I'll be mindful of that in the future.

Hey Halstead - to help you out here - you should be posting under the thread that the moderator moved you to (i.e., http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679923&page=50). This topic can go under one of the interview threads and shouldn't be a topic of it's own. So, yes, you did post incorrectly the first time (by putting it in the main forum) but you didn't post it in the wrong thread (once it was moved there by the mod is when you thought you put it there wrongly). I assume you will be moved again to the right place.

Does that make sense?

Hey there,

My interview is on the 1st of March...I've compiled a list of possible interview questions I may be asked, as well I've read over a few papers written by some of the faculty I'm interested in collaborating with. I really have nothing else left to do but prepare a portfolio of some sort and include some samples of my research papers and personal statement, CV, updated transcript...etc. I was wondering if there was anything I was missing or if I could do anything else to better prepare myself.

I trust that the interview will go well...it seems to be a hybrid of an orientation kind of thing along with an interview to kind of give you the flavour of the atmosphere. Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck at the interview!

hey there, when is your interview? i'll be there on 2/26, i'm not even sure how to prepare. i'll begin by reading my poi's research but other than that idk

A somewhat strange thing just happened to me.

I got an e-mail from CW Post saying my application was just completed and will now be sent to the department for an admission decision. This is coming as a surprise because I completed my application by the deadline in January, whenever that was.

The email said:

"We are pleased to inform you that your application is now complete and will be sent to the department for an admissions decision.....

The department will contact each applicant directly if an interview is required. Interviews will be held in March....

Admissions decisions will be rendered between mid March and the end of March. You will be contacted by the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program directly if you have been admitted to the program for the fall 2010 term"

Did other students who already got an interview to CW Post get an e-mail similar to this a while ago? This is frustrating because I know my application was complete over a month ago.

Any insights from CW Post applicants?

You're almost there, just hang in there! I do agree with you...it is a numbers game for sure. I really hope you succeed because it seems to me that you're very passionate about what you do. I know you'll be rewarded justly.

Best,

Halstead
Received email today. Interview dates are March 1st and March 2nd. That makes four.

I started this process with extreme anxiety and was often in tears by the end of the day. Between applications, balancing research, coursework and work responsibilities, it felt so useless. A complete waste of time with a huge ticket of disappointment attached to it.The tears were mostly due to me not thinking that I had any chance of even making it to interviews. I am now allowing myself to be cautiously optimistic. Out of four, one has to bite, right?
Right?

Hey there,

My interview is on the 1st of March...I've compiled a list of possible interview questions I may be asked, as well I've read over a few papers written by some of the faculty I'm interested in collaborating with. I really have nothing else left to do but prepare a portfolio of some sort and include some samples of my research papers and personal statement, CV, updated transcript...etc. I was wondering if there was anything I was missing or if I could do anything else to better prepare myself.

I trust that the interview will go well...it seems to be a hybrid of an orientation kind of thing along with an interview to kind of give you the flavour of the atmosphere. Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck at the interview!
Are most people preparing a portfolio like that?

I'm not sure, but it seems like a good idea in case you want to show the faculty some samples of your work...besides it shows some sort of preparedness on your end. I don't think it would harm your chances.

Are most people preparing a portfolio like that?

I'm not sure, but it seems like a good idea in case you want to show the faculty some samples of your work...besides it shows some sort of preparedness on your end. I don't think it would harm your chances.

I'm not sure what you're interviewing for, but I've been to a few clinical PhD interviews and I never use anything like that. I recommend having some CVs to hand out (I usually take about 10 to each interview), but I keep a copy of my undergraduate thesis in my folder and I rarely even pull it out. They don't have time to look at stuff like that in the interview, but they do look at the CV to find things to ask you about, and the CV helps them figure out who you are admidst the tons of applications they reviewed. Most people seem relieved that I have a CV since everyone's information gets so jumbled when you look at that many applications.

This is my first interview...so I guess I'm being overly cautious...but like I said, no harm in keeping such documents with you. Of course it does help to bring along copies of your CV. Sounds like you've got a fairly good idea of this whole interview process...do you think you can tell me anything else I should do to prepare...any other documents to bring along? I just want to make sure I'm sufficiently prepared for the interview. Any insight would help, thanks!

P.S. I'm interviewing for a Psy.D. program.

I'm not sure what you're interviewing for, but I've been to a few clinical PhD interviews and I never use anything like that. I recommend having some CVs to hand out (I usually take about 10 to each interview), but I keep a copy of my undergraduate thesis in my folder and I rarely even pull it out. They don't have time to look at stuff like that in the interview, but they do look at the CV to find things to ask you about, and the CV helps them figure out who you are admidst the tons of applications they reviewed. Most people seem relieved that I have a CV since everyone's information gets so jumbled when you look at that many applications.

Last edited:
This is my first interview...so I guess I'm being overly cautious...but like I said, no harm in keeping such documents with you. Of course it does help to bring along copies of your CV. Sounds like you've got a fairly good idea of this whole interview process...do you think you can tell me anything else I should do to prepare...any other documents to bring along? I just want to make sure I'm sufficiently prepared for the interview. Any insight would help, thanks!

P.S. I'm interviewing for a Psy.D. program.

I've never interviewed for anything but a clinical PhD program, so I'm not sure what a PsyD program interview is like... I can tell you though that at clinical interviews, pretty much everyone has a padfolio or something similar, and current grad students where I work recommended this to me a while back. It's a good place to keep CV copies and take notes.

You should also think of as many questions as possible that you can ask current students as well as faculty, whether it's in an interview or an orientation session (but especially in the interview). Think about things you want to know about the program and go from there.

Sometimes I try to read a previously published article by the faculty person I'm interviewing with, but it hasn't once done me any good, so I've pretty much stopped. However, you probably should bring notes on anything you know about the current research and follow up on it. This could be from the person's profile on the school's website or from personal correspondence. Anything you know that shows you've researched the professor and the program shows your interest and preparation.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely keep those points in mind for my preparations.

I've never interviewed for anything but a clinical PhD program, so I'm not sure what a PsyD program interview is like... I can tell you though that at clinical interviews, pretty much everyone has a padfolio or something similar, and current grad students where I work recommended this to me a while back. It's a good place to keep CV copies and take notes.

You should also think of as many questions as possible that you can ask current students as well as faculty, whether it's in an interview or an orientation session (but especially in the interview). Think about things you want to know about the program and go from there.

Sometimes I try to read a previously published article by the faculty person I'm interviewing with, but it hasn't once done me any good, so I've pretty much stopped. However, you probably should bring notes on anything you know about the current research and follow up on it. This could be from the person's profile on the school's website or from personal correspondence. Anything you know that shows you've researched the professor and the program shows your interest and preparation.

A somewhat strange thing just happened to me.

I got an e-mail from CW Post saying my application was just completed and will now be sent to the department for an admission decision. This is coming as a surprise because I completed my application by the deadline in January, whenever that was.

The email said:

"We are pleased to inform you that your application is now complete and will be sent to the department for an admissions decision.....

The department will contact each applicant directly if an interview is required. Interviews will be held in March....

Admissions decisions will be rendered between mid March and the end of March. You will be contacted by the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program directly if you have been admitted to the program for the fall 2010 term"

Did other students who already got an interview to CW Post get an e-mail similar to this a while ago? This is frustrating because I know my application was complete over a month ago.

Any insights from CW Post applicants?

I got a letter saying 'thank you for your interest in CW Post.. there were a few hundred applicants and yada yada yada and the due date for applications WAS january 15th and if I want to apply for next year to get an application in September.' I was a little confused. It seemed as if they only got half my application (the online part) and didn't think I handed in my app if they said the due date WAS on the 15th. I drove to CW Post and handed my application packet in to grad admissions. I'm PISSED