2009-2010 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
planning to live on long island without a car is not the best idea. when i interviewed there everyone said really negative things about on-campus housing. There are tons of apartments/sections of houses for rent in the surrounding area- check out craigslist, newsday.com, and i'm pretty sure the school offers a list of places they suggest. If you go to second look while you're walking around you'll see signs everywhere for ppl with rooms to rent or looking for roommates who already have nice places.

Thanks for the info. I guess i will wait till second look to decide on housing

Members don't see this ad.

i can only speak for chapin (for the record i never actually lived there but know very well what it's like)...

the cons:
1. it's poorly maintained, snow isn't shoveled in a timely manner
2. you are living with other non-med student grad students who are total strangers and who don't have much interest in getting to know you
3. no living room
4. there are "health and safety inspections" where a stranger comes into you room to inspect it for cleanliness and safety hazards ... if you get three violations it goes on your academic record
5. you have an RA
6. it is nowhere near a supermarket or any restaurant so you still absolutely need a car

the pros:
1. utilities are included so you can heat up your room and use up electricity as much as you want with no fluctuating expenses
2. plenty of fridge space
3. within walking distance of school (though its a bit rough to walk to school in the rain/snow)
4. cleaning service cleans bathroom and kitchen for you very often

basically i'd take a pass on it.... a handful of my classmates who started in on-campus housing have moved out since the beginning of the year. as for where to live...how much "older" are we talking here? are you married? kids? ...generally though the closer you are to school the more expensive it'll be but the more convenient it is however any town surrounding stony brook is going to have available housing and is a drivable distance to school in the morning. if you want more personal advice or have more questions feel free to PM me.

Let's not forget that copying the key is illegal and if you happen to lock yourself out of your room, you have to go through the front desk to get yourself a lock-out key; three times and that's another strike on your record and like skinMD said above, three strikes and that goes on your ACADEMIC RECORD (you know, like the one residency directors see).

Also, during snow storms, they don't clean the parking lots for you AT ALL, so if you have a car, you're stuck shoveling yourself out.

There are also limits on alcohol storage in your room and refrigerator (yes, someone actually tells you how much alcohol you can have in the room).

As long as you keep your room clean, have a shovel, attach your room key to a limb, give up drinking, and love not having your roommates give a crap about you, Chapin is wonderful. Oh, and let's not forget how often people get mugged on campus as well. And I second the fact that Chapin (and all other on-campus housing) is nowhere near shopping markets, but they do have buses you can ride on weekends to get to places. It's simply all around inconvenient without a car, but not impossible to get around.

Wait...

People seriously get mugged on LI?

But then again, I go to UB and getting mugged is pretty much a requirement for graduation. Hasn't happened to me yet :xf: but people are constantly asking for help with the gas line of their car. Apparently the snow and salt do a real number on your gas line ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if there's a facebook group for the class of 2014 yet?

does anyone know if there's a facebook group for the class of 2014 yet?
That's really funny you mentioned a facebook group!
I made one last night for the Class of 2014, and I came on SDN to let everyone know!
The group name is "Stony Brook School of Medicine Class of 2014"

See you there!

For those who have heard from SBU, about how long post interview did it take to hear? I interviewed on 2/5 anyone from around then hear yet?

For those who have heard from SBU, about how long post interview did it take to hear? I interviewed on 2/5 anyone from around then hear yet?

I interviewed 2/4 no word yet. I have heard that it generally takes around 4-5 weeks to hear back.

OOS interviewed 2/16 waitlisted 3/3. pretty quick turnaround.

called admissions office to learn:

1. don't usually start accepting off WL until May
2. theres no separate IS/OOS WL
3. list is ranked but confidential

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview 1/29... no word yet. I think it's hitting the 5 week mark. I'd really love to come here, since I live 15 minutes away and it's a spectacular school.

I have another acceptance to respond to within 2 weeks, so I'm hoping I hear from SB soon... anyone else in my boat? :confused:

I interviewed on 2/4, haven't heard anything...
should I be worried? =/
does SB do post interview rejection?

I interviewed on 2/4, haven't heard anything...
should I be worried? =/

No not at all there are ppl who have gotten accepted six weeks post interview.

I also interviewed 2/4. I am trying to remember who you are. Where were you sitting? or what time were your interviews?

uh...

Is there a such thing as a school that doesn't do post interview rejection? Most schools interview like 1000 and accept maybe 200. It varies hugely, but many schools accept less than 50% and that includes waitlists.

uh...

Is there a such thing as a school that doesn't do post interview rejection? Most schools interview like 1000 and accept maybe 200. It varies hugely, but many schools accept less than 50% and that includes waitlists.

I think some schools are 20% rejection post-interview. At SB, its about 50% acceptance (likely including waitlists) from the interview pool. I saw a website with data: 6000+ apps, 600 interviews, 300 acceptances (roughly speaking) and 124 enrollees (the bulk NYS residents)...

No not at all there are ppl who have gotten accepted six weeks post interview.

thx for the info. sigh, I can't make sense out of this process... I really like the school, hopefully I'll hear back soon.

uh...

Yes, some schools accept a certain number, then waitlist the rest. Of course, they have to send out rejections at the very end. Just curious how SB does it.

I have another acceptance to respond to within 2 weeks, so I'm hoping I hear from SB soon... anyone else in my boat? :confused:

if the acceptance is from a MD school then send the deposit in immediately...if you get into SB before the deadline (May 15 if i remember correctly) and you withdraw from the other school you get your money back.

if its a DO acceptance wait about a week and a half and then try calling them for an extension of the deadline ...tell them you are waiting for another decision. a friend of mine did this with a DO school and they gave him the extension. side note: he was waiting for a decision from another DO school...not sure if he mentioned that but I'm sure they took more kindly to that...my advice would be to avoid mentioning that it is a decision from a MD school if you can.

Yes, some schools accept a certain number, then waitlist the rest. Of course, they have to send out rejections at the very end. Just curious how SB does it.

I think there might be some DO schools where acceptance post interview is close to 100%. I've heard NYCOM is ~96%, but I doubt it. Perhaps in a week when I hear back from them I'll know...

if the acceptance is from a MD school then send the deposit in immediately...if you get into SB before the deadline (May 15 if i remember correctly) and you withdraw from the other school you get your money back.

if its a DO acceptance wait about a week and a half and then try calling them for an extension of the deadline ...tell them you are waiting for another decision. a friend of mine did this with a DO school and they gave him the extension. side note: he was waiting for a decision from another DO school...not sure if he mentioned that but I'm sure they took more kindly to that...my advice would be to avoid mentioning that it is a decision from a MD school if you can.

Why wait if it's DO?

I completed my secondary on the last day of the deadline.
Wondering if SB still have interview spots available..

I saw 3/17 interview offered in one of the earlier posts.
Does anyone have later interview dates after 3/17?

And.. is there anybody still waiting for interview offer from SB?

I completed my secondary on the last day of the deadline.
Wondering if SB still have interview spots available..

I saw 3/17 interview offered in one of the earlier posts.
Does anyone have later interview dates after 3/17?

And.. is there anybody still waiting for interview offer from SB?

I'm still waiting for an interview:)

Accepted 3/3! Funny thing is, I only got that UPS package today 3/5, because my residence hall probably lost my package slip... :laugh: Anyone else planning to come here???

Just wanted to share that I got the chop via snail mail.

But I am :thumbup:, holding on to two acceptances and waiting to hear back from my top two choices. Stayin humble.

SB is a great school and I wish all of you the very best!! :luck: Go class of 2014.

So if SB's WL is ranked, that entails that sending in updates/LOI will have no bearning on your place? So basically, just sit back and relax?

So if SB's WL is ranked, that entails that sending in updates/LOI will have no bearning on your place? So basically, just sit back and relax?

I would think it wouldn't help much, but it obviously won't hurt. I plan to still send some updates but probably not until late April as I doubt there will be much WL movement until the month of May.

i had my interview on 1/29 and am still waiting to hear back from sb....should i take this as a rejection at this point, or should i have some hope?

i had my interview on 1/29 and am still waiting to hear back from sb....should i take this as a rejection at this point, or should i have some hope?

Meaningless.

I heard back about being waitlisted several weeks before some people who were accepted but interviewed on the same day. It all depends on when they get the materials together to review your application.

Meaningless.

I heard back about being waitlisted several weeks before some people who were accepted but interviewed on the same day. It all depends on when they get the materials together to review your application.

okay good...thanks for the reassurance!

maybe they are waiting for people to withdraw to offer you an acceptance...and not put you on waitlist

I am on the same boat with you, if that helps...
interviewed on 2/4, haven't heard a word since while many others already got their decisions. :sleep:

Hey I think I interviewed the same day as you! I didn't hear anything until after 5 weeks, so keep hoping for the best. SB responding to students is variable.

anyone on here going to second look next month

I am on the same boat with you, if that helps...
interviewed on 2/4, haven't heard a word since while many others already got their decisions. :sleep:

ugggghh. so frustrating. well at least i'm not alone! :oops:

anyone on here going to second look next month

I know that the second look is next month from our acceptance packet, but are we suppose to receive further details? (b/c all i have gotten since my acceptance letter is the immunization stuff)

Last edited:
I know that the second look is next month from out acceptance packet, but are we suppose to receive further details? (b/c all i have gotten since my acceptance letter is the immunization stuff)

Yea, I'm going to Second Look day. I emailed Nancy, and she said Dean Alessi will be sending out more information soon (dunno how soon...)... did anyone have issues with the online Solar system paying the tuition? The Admissions Office did not receive my deposit yet :confused:

Yea, I'm going to Second Look day. I emailed Nancy, and she said Dean Alessi will be sending out more information soon (dunno how soon...)... did anyone have issues with the online Solar system paying the tuition? The Admissions Office did not receive my deposit yet :confused:

I was able to use the system without any problems

If anyone has problems logging into SOLAR because it tells you that your id/password are invalid - try clicking the report problem button on the screen and just ask them to reset your password. I got a fast reply from tech support and it worked! Simply try the password you received in the packet again, once you've been notified that they reset it.

Anyone receive any financial aid documents yet?? And did you receive the immunization forms in your acceptance packet or only after you paid the deposit?

thanks

Anyone receive any financial aid documents yet?? And did you receive the immunization forms in your acceptance packet or only after you paid the deposit?

thanks

i. No FinAid yet.
ii. After.

Any post interview acceptance/waitlist/rejection recently?
Interviewed 2/4 and haven't anything ever since.
Seems like the last batch of decisions were sent out around 3/3 and nothing since then... at least judging from this thread.

Interviewed 11/12/09. Still no decision.

It's so ridiculous I just have to laugh.

L O L

Status
Not open for further replies.