2009-2010 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats crazy.

interviews are a part of real life. its as if the professors didn't have to interview periodically to reach their appointment status. in this economy, schools should be welcoming of students attempting to expand their opportunities in life. isn't that what college was about? its not a place for faculty (or students) to get lost in their egos.

Members don't see this ad.

first interview! coming from california, 9/14
a little worried about price of plane ticket and hotel

i think the most that you can do to combat expenses are

1. student/anyother host
2. email schools in the area that you are hitting up NYC
3. maybe consider the jetblue plan (if you get more interviews)

Members don't see this ad :)
So are there student host program at Downstate?

i want to say that for anyone who has an interview at downstate (or any other school in new york) and is worried about money, you are WELCOME to crash in my apartment (in manhattan, but just a $2.25 subway ride away from downstate!). i have a comfy pull-out couch and will make you cookies and wish you luck on your interview day! i will also give you *very* specific directions to get there if you're unfamiliar with the city. :)

i want to say that for anyone who has an interview at downstate (or any other school in new york) and is worried about money, you are WELCOME to crash in my apartment (in manhattan, but just a $2.25 subway ride away from downstate!). i have a comfy pull-out couch and will make you cookies and wish you luck on your interview day! i will also give you *very* specific directions to get there if you're unfamiliar with the city. :)

:).

you guys are awesome. so much good advice! i'll check out the jetblue plan and keep yr offer in mind, dw :} i think for now i'm counting on their student hosting plan for the night before, red eyes are no good. so excited for brooklyn :}

i also applied to nyu/columbia/cornell/albert einstein & u rochester . . . should i just call them up and be heeeeeeeey i'm coming to town? is email better? how to do it without it sounding like i'm inviting myself for tea?

you guys are awesome. so much good advice! i'll check out the jetblue plan and keep yr offer in mind, dw :} i think for now i'm counting on their student hosting plan for the night before, red eyes are no good. so excited for brooklyn :}

i also applied to nyu/columbia/cornell/albert einstein & u rochester . . . should i just call them up and be heeeeeeeey i'm coming to town? is email better? how to do it without it sounding like i'm inviting myself for tea?

haha, i'd call them up and ask if they take into account travel plans, and if they do just let them know your interview date for downstate

I contacted them for the student hosting program. I think they're trying to set it up.

An extremely generous offer. Nice to know that you can always count on SDN'ers to back each other up. :)

So I checked my status page and got 2 new things I need to update them with (activities, and summer grades)

Anyone get asked for similar updates but still get an interview before you sent them in?

I just checked and it says they want my summer 2009 grade report. Were we supposed to receive a letter about this? Also, do we need to send them an official transcript or can we just email them? How do we go about sending them the grade report?

Members don't see this ad :)
me! yay, let's go for an SDN drink afterwards!

yay!! i jut saw this! so excited!! my interview is at 2:45 but they say get there at 11:30? omg this is exciting. cant wait for drinks in the city :p

dw2158, even though I live around the NYC metro area, I want to come and shake your hand for being so generous =)

Btw, are you interviewing there well?

Wow, so nice! :)

Also, how long from complete did it take you guys who have gotten interviews to hear? Did you get a complete email? I don't think I did, but it does say all checkmarks on my status page now.

Last edited:
yay!! i jut saw this! so excited!! my interview is at 2:45 but they say get there at 11:30? omg this is exciting. cant wait for drinks in the city :p

mine's at 11. but we can fo sho party after yours.

dw2158, even though I live around the NYC metro area, I want to come and shake your hand for being so generous =)

Btw, are you interviewing there well?

yup, i am. on 9/10.

Ah man, why is my interview date so late? I can't join you guys because ya'll have it earlier than me.:(

i want to join! when were you guys complete. queens keep makin it, brooklyn be hatin it

i want to join! when were you guys complete. queens keep makin it, brooklyn be hatin it

i was complete aug 4, received invite aug 11. i didnt receive a complete email, just checked the status page. when you see all green checks, youre complete.

status check

not sure when exactly i was complete. i didn't check the status page for most of july. on the 27th i found i had all green checks. i got my snail mail a few days later and the invite on the 11th.

nobody lose hope, i was about to but just got an invite a few minutes ago

Got the invite.

Guess they are happy with my "plans for 2009-2010." :laugh:

:luck: everybody!

nobody lose hope, i was about to but just got an invite a few minutes ago

I was beginning to lose hope but I just got one, too. My 2nd one today!

Complete 7/15

To those who were asked to explain activities during a certain time

Did the letter in the regular mail have more details as to what they want you to explain, or did it just also say "Explain activities from 200_- 200_"

Thanks

To those who were asked to explain activities during a certain time

Did the letter in the regular mail have more details as to what they want you to explain, or did it just also say "Explain activities from 200_- 200_"

Thanks

I received this letter as well. It gave specific time periods and asked generally for "more detailed information about your activities."

They did not ask about specific experiences, or at least not in my case.

How strange they haven't asked any update whatsoever from me. Anyone with interviews in the same boat?

I received this letter as well. It gave specific time periods and asked generally for "more detailed information about your activities."

They did not ask about specific experiences, or at least not in my case.

Thanks

I'm not going to be able to see the letter for a while due to moving unexpectedly, so I just wanted to make sure the letter didn't give any other specific instructions. Basically, from what you are saying the website says the same thing as the letter: "Explain Activities from 2004 - 2005" and not much else

Thanks

I'm not going to be able to see the letter for a while due to moving unexpectedly, so I just wanted to make sure the letter didn't give any other specific instructions. Basically, from what you are saying the website says the same thing as the letter: "Explain Activities from 2004 - 2005" and not much else

the letter does have specific instructions. it says to mail the letter along with the additional information.

the letter does have specific instructions. it says to mail the letter along with the additional information.

It also allows you to reply via e-mail.

I sent mine out the next day via postal mail, as it's probably more reliable (less chance of getting caught in a spam filter).

so when i check my status page...theres nothing listed, like no check marks or anything like there used to be...it says "No Admissions requirements were uploaded for you. Please contact the Admissions Office."

does this mean rejections or something?

so when i check my status page...theres nothing listed, like no check marks or anything like there used to be...it says "No Admissions requirements were uploaded for you. Please contact the Admissions Office."

doubt it, rejections would be sent by email/mail, not via phone
seems like a glitch in the system, call and see

Haha. I have the same status too. I'm getting tired of Downstate already. I have being faxing and mailing all kinds of stuff to them.

I have the same thing. I doubt they would reject us this way. Let me know if anyone finds out for sure...can't call til after work.

So is anyone interested in the MD/MPH program? There's an option where we can finish both degrees in the standard 4 years.

Last edited:
Where do you call? I called the number on the downstate website and I just got an endless ring, no answer, no answering machine.

Admissions office:7182702446. They probably were closed for the day when you called.

Anyone else getting this message when they log in?

"Your Admissions Requirement checklist status will be sent to you by email until further notice."

Anyone else getting this message when they log in?

"Your Admissions Requirement checklist status will be sent to you by email until further notice."

Yeah, getting the same.

So is anyone interested in the MD/MPH program? There's an option where we can finish both degrees in the standard 4 years.
Yea, where is that option?

Also, I want to check my status but what username and login do I use since the entire app is paper? I also called to see, regarding MD/PhD if the "Prof Evals" sheet of the grad school app was necessary and she said no since they are getting the same letters from AMCAS.

Yea, where is that option?

Also, I want to check my status but what username and login do I use since the entire app is paper? I also called to see, regarding MD/PhD if the "Prof Evals" sheet of the grad school app was necessary and she said no since they are getting the same letters from AMCAS.

i think the username and password are both your AMCAS ID number.

Status
Not open for further replies.