2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a phonecall today from Ms. Murphy inviting me for an interview this Friday, August 7! Immediately after the phone conversation, I received the e-mail invite. Leaves me very little time to prepare, I thought I'd have at least a week. But I can't complain! Me Happy:)

That's fantastic news - congrats! I would love a phone call just like that

Members don't see this ad.

That's fantastic news - congrats! I would love a phone call just like that

Thanks! I was caught completely off guard. It was kind of surreal and when I saw her on interview day I apologized for being a bit off during the conversation. She said it wasn't a problem and that she had called another guy and he boldly asked 'who is this and what do you want?' LoL She was a good sport about it. Apparently TMDSAS is having problems on their end so they weren't able to schedule this batch two weeks in advance as they normally do so she had to call a few people.

Can any body who has already interviewed post up any questions that the interviewer asked. specifically the questions that caught you off gaurd.

from everything i've read above most of it seems like a stres free conversation but there has to of been some questions the interviewer had

Thanks!!

Congrats and Good luck to everybody!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any body who has already interviewed post up any questions that the interviewer asked. specifically the questions that caught you off gaurd.

from everything i've read above most of it seems like a stres free conversation but there has to of been some questions the interviewer had

Thanks!!

Congrats and Good luck to everybody!:xf:

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=2

That's an invaluable tool. Lots of questions from every school on that page, and comments about how the interview went.

I got an invitation today for August 21st interview. My application was finalized on July 25th. Can't wait!!!!:xf:

I got an invitation today for August 21st interview. My application was finalized on July 25th. Can't wait!!!!:xf:

Oooohhh my application was finalized on July 29th.... I feel like it should be happening any day now...

Got an invite for 8/21 today!! App was verified on 7/9, so it seems that verification date isn't that good a predictor...good luck danimjo!

txSooner...see you there. You going to the social?

Got an invite for 8/21 today!! App was verified on 7/9, so it seems that verification date isn't that good a predictor...good luck danimjo!

txSooner...see you there. You going to the social?

Yes.... I will be there!!! I checked out their website trying to figure out what the dress would be... seems like a casual bar. I'm excited!!!

Last edited:
Yes.... I will be there!!! I checked out their website (www.littlewoodrows.com) trying to figure out what the dress would be... seems like a casual bar. I'm excited!!!

I want to go...but I'll be driving directly from another interview location. Unsure as to what time I'll arrive in downtown Houston. Hopefully, I'll arrive in time to make it to the bar.

To make identification easier, why don't you wear an OU hat or something :eek: (since you're a Sooner and all)!

I want to go...but I'll be driving directly from another interview location. Unsure as to what time I'll arrive in downtown Houston. Hopefully, I'll arrive in time to make it to the bar.

To make identification easier, why don't you wear an OU hat or something :eek: (since you're a Sooner and all)!

Good idea lol--- Good luck making it from your other interview- I'd say thats a good excuse for not being there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone PM me the secondary essay prompts so I can update it on the first post? Thanks

If you guys have any questions about the school or anything, feel free to ask.

When you're interviewing, take advantage of the people there. Ask students questions if you have any. We're all pretty nice and want to see all of you enjoy your interview.

Interview invite on same exact date as UTMB....

I've already confirmed my date for UTMB, but I emailed them anyways explaining my situation. I also emailed UTH hoping one of them will let me reschedule to one of the following two Fridays. Does anyone know how difficult it is to reschedule at either one of these schools?

sept 4 interview invite...its 2 weeks away!! sheesh...

Does UT-H interview applicants with high stats first? I'm right around their avg with significant research w/ pubs and I've been complete since the last week of July. Starting to get a little worried.

Interviewed today. Holy crap this place is awesome! Top choice school at this point.

Interview invite on same exact date as UTMB....

I've already confirmed my date for UTMB, but I emailed them anyways explaining my situation. I also emailed UTH hoping one of them will let me reschedule to one of the following two Fridays. Does anyone know how difficult it is to reschedule at either one of these schools?

I got my Houston invite for the same day as UTMB as well; they had no problems letting me change it. The schools understand that they are all interviewing the same applicant pool on the same dates! They offered me 2 weeks later and were quite quick about rescheduling. I'd be more wary of rescheduling an invite you'd already confirmed, though.

Does UT-H interview applicants with high stats first? I'm right around their avg with significant research w/ pubs and I've been complete since the last week of July. Starting to get a little worried.
Not necessarily high stats, no. It would be some kind of combination of early applicants and people they're really interested in.

Keep in mind that not every school is just about numbers. They're looking for a certain type of student with a certain type of personality and experience.

I'd say my stats are about average and I just interviewed 8/21. Verified 7/29. No research but 2.5 yrs of clinical exp. I have scheduled interviews for UTMB and TCOM as of now. I started to get worried too (haven't heard from San Antonio, Techs, A&M) but then my friend who is MS-4 reminded me that once you get an interview, whenever it is, it's a level playing field. Don't let it screw with your head or worry about other people. When you get it, you get it because they are interested.

I got my Houston invite for the same day as UTMB as well; they had no problems letting me change it. The schools understand that they are all interviewing the same applicant pool on the same dates! They offered me 2 weeks later and were quite quick about rescheduling. I'd be more wary of rescheduling an invite you'd already confirmed, though.

That would be great if they could schedule me two weeks later for UTH - would actually be very optimal for my situation. I emailed both schools but also told me that I might not have to reschedule depending on the responses of the other school. Hopefully it will all work out.

I realized that TX is actually decently OOS friendly despite the state law thing. I almost didn't apply because 4 of the 5 people I asked told me to forgo TX all together - thank god I didn't...

To add to what has already been said...I interviewed there recently, and my GPA is slightly below their avg, MCAT slightly above. I do have a lot of clinical experience, but no research. I was complete on 7/9.

At any rate, they said they are going to be interviewing a lot of people well into the pre-match period, so try not to get anxious about it yet. They also specifically said that they accept very few students through the pre-match. Good luck!

I haven't heard from houston either! I have interviews at every Texas school except SW and Houston, and frankly not holding my breath for SW.

I guess it's still early but in my head it is already the one that got away

I just got a Sept. 11 invite. :D TMDSAS verified 7/24.

To add to what has already been said...I interviewed there recently, and my GPA is slightly below their avg, MCAT slightly above. I do have a lot of clinical experience, but no research. I was complete on 7/9.

At any rate, they said they are going to be interviewing a lot of people well into the pre-match period, so try not to get anxious about it yet. They also specifically said that they accept very few students through the pre-match. Good luck!

To add on a little, I'm not sure what's going on but everybody shouldn't get discouraged. I got interviews to Baylor, UTMB, and Southwestern already but haven't heard from Houston. Maybe they are just taking their time?

Do they send out any confirmation e-mail like the other schools that they have received all your stuff and that your under review? I haven't gotten anything like that yet, (TMDSAS verified 8/8) Should I be calling the school at this point?

Do they send out any confirmation e-mail like the other schools that they have received all your stuff and that your under review? I haven't gotten anything like that yet, (TMDSAS verified 8/8) Should I be calling the school at this point?
No, they never tell you. If TMDSAS has all of your stuff, the school has all of your stuff.

Had my interview here today...it was AWESOME. The students all seem very happy and the faculty seem genuinely interested in improving the students' experiences and education.

Definitely took a biggg leap up in my personal rankings.

Had my interview here today...it was AWESOME. The students all seem very happy and the faculty seem genuinely interested in improving the students' experiences and education.

Definitely took a biggg leap up in my personal rankings.

Big time ditto! Also, TMC is simply amazing. This school is really on the rise in my opinion, especially given the expansion of their facilities over the past decade. They are confident of their identity and philosophy, but are primed to rise to a new level of excellence.

I haven't heard from houston either! I have interviews at every Texas school except SW and Houston, and frankly not holding my breath for SW.

I guess it's still early but in my head it is already the one that got away

I am in the same boat, except I haven't heard from El Paso as well. I am starting to think the same thing. How long do they review an application till they throw it out?

So, does anyone know about available housing close to campus, or how cohesive the students and faculty are, or how long it takes for the average student to commute?

So, does anyone know about available housing close to campus, or how cohesive the students and faculty are, or how long it takes for the average student to commute?
There are tons of condo & apartment options near school. Most of them are located near public transportation (light rail, Metro bus, or UT shuttle). I don't know of any students who drive to school, since parking is $150/month. I walk about 5 minutes to the UT shuttle and get to school in 15-20 minutes.

Not sure what you mean about student/faculty cohesiveness. They love us and are extremely supportive of us. I know we really respect our professors and enjoy interacting with them.

Hey guys, I have a quick question:

Is UT Houston still handing out interview invites? I havemy TMDSAS verified in July and since then I haven't heard a word from this school.... I know that Texas schools usually have interviews much earlier than non-Texas schools. So is it true that if I still haven't heard back from it now that late of the game I have little hope?

Is UT Houston still handing out interview invites? I havemy TMDSAS verified in July and since then I haven't heard a word from this school.... I know that Texas schools usually have interviews much earlier than non-Texas schools. So is it true that if I still haven't heard back from it now that late of the game I have little hope?
they're still interviewing, so there are still invites to go out.

most TX schools stop interviewing in December or January. don't fret yet. UTH seems to be one of the tougher ones to get interviews at.

armybound.... is there a parking option for commuters besides the $150 monthly? I remember one of the students giving us a tour saying that he parked by the gym or apartments and walked to class. Is this realistic for most commuters or does it fill up pretty fast?

it's very common for the street by University Housing to be lined with cars in the morning from commuters catching the UT shuttle. I'd say it's very do-able. You may need to plan it out and make sure you're there a little early, though.

I wouldn't worry about this too much either...I also had my TMDSAS verified in July and I'm still waiting to hear from UT Houston, but I've received interviews from Baylor and Southwestern already. I guess they are just slow?

I wouldn't worry about this too much either...I also had my TMDSAS verified in July and I'm still waiting to hear from UT Houston, but I've received interviews from Baylor and Southwestern already. I guess they are just slow?
Same here hehe :p
BCM on 18th and Soutwestern on 19th for me :p

We seem to have a particular type of student here. You can't always assume a school will be interested in you based on numbers alone.

We seem to have a particular type of student here. You can't always assume a school will be interested in you based on numbers alone.
No one has mentioned about numbers whatsoever. Maybe you have corelated BCM and Southwestern's invites with numbers?:idea:

What do you mean by particular type? Just curious. :)

No one has mentioned about numbers whatsoever. Maybe you have corelated BCM and Southwestern's invites with numbers?:idea:
Why assume you're going to get a UTH interview because you got a UTSW and Baylor interview? Obviously you think there must be something about your application which would make them all come running, and apparently that's not the case.

Face it, UTSW and Baylor largely filter applicants based on numbers.

im a third time applicant waiting for a new mcat score........really wanting an interview here!!!:xf::xf::xf:
do you know how far into the season they have booked interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.