2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm pretty disheartened that i havent gotten an invite here... :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be interviewing on August 21st! :):)

Does anyone else enjoy how they address the letter as "Dear Future Doctor"? I'll take the little boost of encouragement!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last Friday. The whole day is very very laid back. During the intro the director of admissions told us that the interviewers won't ask anything hard "like how to fix healthcare" and that they are supposed to be fun. Both of my interviews (2x 30min) were very nice and the interview was VERY not stressful. Neither of my interviewers had looked through my app at all, though other people said that their interviewers had. Also, they try to match you with people with similar interests which makes it nice.

Lunch was delicious and the students are all very friendly.

Lunch was delicious and the students are all very friendly.

Caveat:
Lunch is mexican food and fruit, and an ENORMOUS slice of chocolate cake.

It is delicious if you like mexican food and/or chocolate cake :).

I'll be interviewing on August 21st! :):)

Does anyone else enjoy how they address the letter as "Dear Future Doctor"? I'll take the little boost of encouragement!:D

Did you just get invited today for August 21st? Were you unable to schedule earlier dates? I am just curious if they are already so full they are no scheduling for the 21st.

Also, would you mind posting when your application was submitted?

Last edited:
Did you just get invited today for August 21st? Were you unable to schedule earlier dates? I am just curious if they are already so full they are no scheduling for the 21st.

Also, would you mind posting when your application was submitted?

I submitted my app on 6/3 and was verified on 6/20.

On 7/24, I was initially offered an interview for 7/31. I am out of the state until August doing an internship and had another interview on 8/7. Therefore they offered me the interview on 8/21.

I submitted my app on 6/3 and was verified on 6/20.

On 7/24, I was initially offered an interview for 7/31. I am out of the state until August doing an internship and had another interview on 8/7. Therefore they offered me the interview on 8/21.

Thanks for sharing...I am a bit relieved that they aren't so backfilled to August yet. I haven't heard anything from them.

Did anyone stay at the motel 6 that was listed on the invitation? How was it?

Did anyone stay at the motel 6 that was listed on the invitation? How was it?

I stayed there. It wasn't terrible, but it was by no means great. You get your money's worth... no more, no less. It was close by, at least. It took me about 7-8 minutes to get from the motel to the UT Professionals parking garage.

Anybody applying as out-of-state and receive a notice? I submitted my TMDSAS on July 6th but didn't realized that I had to send my scores separately until this past weekend. I never received a notice that they needed my scores, so is my application still in line to be verified?

To Torino:

You can actually call TMDSAS and ask them if you are in line to be verified. Although I think they might tend to get a little annoyed sometimes, I have found that calling them is the best way to actually get any important information you might need.

I know that schools will not contact you for interview or anything like that until you submit your scores separately. My pre-med advisor (from an in-Texas school) actually warned us about this happening with TMDSAS forms, saying that every year from our school several people with great stats don't get in anywhere because they forget to submit their scores.

Cool - I will wait until the end of the week to see if my status has changed since I submitted my scores this past weekend. If nothing does, then I'll give them a ring.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooohhh I just got an email that my application is complete and is being reviewed.... exciting... anyone know about how long after the email do you get an interview invite?

Oooohhh I just got an email that my application is complete and is being reviewed.... exciting... anyone know about how long after the email do you get an interview invite?

When was your application submitted?

To Torino:

You can actually call TMDSAS and ask them if you are in line to be verified. Although I think they might tend to get a little annoyed sometimes, I have found that calling them is the best way to actually get any important information you might need.

I know that schools will not contact you for interview or anything like that until you submit your scores separately. My pre-med advisor (from an in-Texas school) actually warned us about this happening with TMDSAS forms, saying that every year from our school several people with great stats don't get in anywhere because they forget to submit their scores.

what?! how do you send your scores separately!?!?

WOW i just sent them from the mcat site...WTF!!?!?!? i submitted june 30!!! why dont they tell us this!?!? like seriously...goddamnit...im so pissed

thats so f*cking upsetting!!! wtf...

thats so f*cking upsetting!!! wtf...

well you have to go to the MCAT website and release it to TMDSAS. Only AMCAS gets it automatically. After you choose to submit it to TMDSAS, it will take 1-2 days for it to reach them. I thought yall knew about this policy.

Yeah it is kind of annoying I guess. But honestly you shouldn't freak out because you've still caught it early and taken care of it. Seriously, my advisor told us that there have been people that had to wait A WHOLE YEAR to reapply again because they did not do this AT ALL.

Breathe! you will be fine!

My TMDSAS application was verified in mid-June. My transcripts, MCAT score, and LORs were all received and processed in June, too. I have not heard from either UT-Houston or UT-Galveston, though I notice that many people who were verified after me have already gotten interview invites. I know that I just have to be patient, but I am feeling a tad discouraged.:oops:

My TMDSAS application was verified in mid-June. My transcripts, MCAT score, and LORs were all received and processed in June, too. I have not heard from either UT-Houston or UT-Galveston, though I notice that many people who were verified after me have already gotten interview invites. I know that I just have to be patient, but I am feeling a tad discouraged.:oops:

NOLA1, are you a Texas resident?

I'm an out-of-state applicant that submitted July 6th to one school, UT-Houston. However, I also forgot to send my scores until last weekend which isn't too bad I suppose.

I called them up earlier today, and the woman greeted me with an annoyed tone (either bad day or just tired of the premeds calling them up); she said that it takes about four weeks for them to send it to the school AFTER you've paid your fee and submitted your application which I did in early July.

It goes to back to what one of my drivers told me on the bus in middle school, "Patience is a virtue," haha. No joke, the entire process keeps us all on pins and needles.

Last edited:
NOLA1, are you a Texas resident?

I'm an out-of-state applicant that submitted July 6th to one school, UT-Houston. However, I also forgot to send my scores until last weekend which isn't too bad I suppose.

I called them up earlier today, and the woman greeted me with an annoyed tone (either bad day or just tired of the premeds calling them up); she said that it takes about four weeks for them to send it to the school AFTER you've paid your fee and submitted your application which I did in early July.

It goes to back to what one of my drivers told me on the bus in middle school, "Patience is a virtue," haha. No joke, the entire process keeps us all on pins and needles.

wait...you went throught TMDSAS and only applied to one school? Why not apply to all of the ones in TX?

Personal reasons - Houston offered something that the other schools did not.

Plus, I've applied to 12 other schools through AMCAS, so I'm looking at enough debt as it is, haha.

Four secondaries down
Four more to finish
Four still a toss-up

33% complete... at least for this phase

i was verified in mid-June an still haven't heard anything or gotten an email from this school. however, my letters were only complete in mid-July (I'm wondering if that makes a huge difference...)

does anyone know how many of their August interview days they've filled up?

hey guys got an interview invite for the 7th, but i already have an interview scheduled. Do you guys know who I should call/email about rescheduling, I glanced over their information packet but couldnt find anything. Maybe im just lazy....

hey guys got an interview invite for the 7th, but i already have an interview scheduled. Do you guys know who I should call/email about rescheduling, I glanced over their information packet but couldnt find anything. Maybe im just lazy....

Congrats! Did you get it yesterday and when were you verified by TMDSAS? And email or snail mail?

Sorry, I haven't gotten one yet so I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

thanks, got it last night and was verified sometime mid june. I cant remember exactly but i submitted june 2.

When was your application submitted?

I submitted my primary to TMDSAS on June 26th, was verified about two weeks ago, and my LOR was received early last week.

I got an interview invite for August 7th last night as well! Do most people go to the social the night before?

Hi torino – thanks for your message. I, too, am an OOS applicant. I had submitted my application 2 months ago, at the very beginning of June.

Last edited:
So I finally interviewed yesterday. The whole day went really well. The students there look really happy. The staff was very helpful. The only advice is be yourself and be comfortable. Own the interview because it is yours. Don't be afraid to say that you don't know the answer to a tough question. Ask all your questions , even the stupid ones. Trust me someone else is thinking the same thing. Go to the social and stay with a medical student if you can (it is free)

So I finally interviewed yesterday. The whole day went really well. The students there look really happy. The staff was very helpful. The only advice is be yourself and be comfortable. Own the interview because it is yours. Don't be afraid to say that you don't know the answer to a tough question. Ask all your questions , even the stupid ones. Trust me someone else is thinking the same thing. Go to the social and stay with a medical student if you can (it is free)

What questions were you asked at the interview?

anyone have any idea how long it takes to get the interview invite once you get the email that your application is complete and being reviewed?

anyone have any idea how long it takes to get the interview invite once you get the email that your application is complete and being reviewed?

I have not received an e-mail from UT Houston stating that my application has been received and is being reviewed; however, my primary application was verified on July 8th. Has everyone received this e-mail from Houston stating that their application was received and is being reviewed?

I am really interested in Houston and just stressed that something might be wrong with my application for some reason. I don't think that is the case because I have already received interview invitations from San Antonio and A&M, but would you recommend that I call Houston just to ask or would that just annoy them?

uth is taking an agonizingly long time to respond to my interview-rescheduling email (that they told me to send when i called them)

I got an interview invite 3 weeks after my application was verified. They did not send me any correspondence other than the interview invitation e-mail.

Euskal - I was verified 7/7, and have not gotten any email/correspondence from them either. I don't know that they regularly send a "complete" email before offering an interview. It seems somewhat random!

Euskal - I was verified 7/7, and have not gotten any email/correspondence from them either. I don't know that they regularly send a "complete" email before offering an interview. It seems somewhat random!

Thanks, yeah I don't know why they would send that type of an e-mail either but it was just making me a little concerned. You know how everything seems to stress you out during this time!

I have been complete for a while also and have not received any e-mail about being complete and ready for review. I also work at UT-H, so I guess I could walk down there and ask...

Good luck recycling binh. you have some insanely awesome ECs. i never got any emails from UTH. all they sent was the invite.

finally got an email from Houston, going to be there on 8/21. It seems this Dr. Kellaway is as cool as everyone says

I got a phonecall today from Ms. Murphy inviting me for an interview this Friday, August 7! Immediately after the phone conversation, I received the e-mail invite. Leaves me very little time to prepare, I thought I'd have at least a week. But I can't complain! Me Happy:)

My TMDSAS reads, "Submitted to TMDSAS." Just to know, what would be the next message if I proceeded along the cycle? I'm wondering if I have already been weeded out as prospects are harder as OOS.

My TMDSAS reads, "Submitted to TMDSAS." Just to know, what would be the next message if I proceeded along the cycle? I'm wondering if I have already been weeded out as prospects are harder as OOS.

You haven't been verified yet, so the schools haven't seen your app at all yet. When verified, it will read 'submitted to school'. After this, expect to wait from a week to a month before hearing anything at all.

when did you submit?

Status
Not open for further replies.