* *2009-2010 "What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so i decided to apply to d.o. schools kind of late, but i had my AACOMAS finished and submitted over a month ago. the problem is, my premed committee is taking its sweet time submitting my letter of rec to interfolio. they screwed me over with my allopathic med school apps too since i was complete in early july but they didn't send in my rec until the middle of september. i gave them at least a month's notice prior to submitting both applications. i've pestered them with emails to no avail. i can't call them because i work and can't make calls.

technically, the deadline is in february for the schools im applying to, but lets say they take just as long to submit my rec this time as they did last time. that means im looking at a complete application sometime in january. i've already completed the secondaries that i can so i should be able to turn them in within a few days. my stats arent too impressive - 32Q, 3.37cgpa but i have a masters in public health and decent extracurrics.

realistically, what are my chances that late in the cycle?

thanks

I was complete in mid december 2008 and got 5 interviews and a couple acceptances with a much lower MCAT and a couple tenths of a point higher GPA. Apply broadly! add more schools if needed, I had 14.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

So tell your science faculty the problem and see if they'll submit directly to Interfolio. They've already written the letters, so it isn't much of an effort to upload. Alternatively, those science faculty can ask the committee to get their heads out of their rear ends and send the letter.

Hey everyone.

You guys get beat to death with these questions but I really value peer feedback. Im applying the 2010-2011 application cycle, early (end of June).

BS Psychology
Finishing MA in Psychobiology

cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.20 *had to retake Bio I and Gen Chem II
MCAT 32P

*GPA pending completion of 2 grad level science classes

900 hours ER volunteering in the Bronx. Will have 100 hours in ER in W. Mass.
Shadowed 2 DOs- 1 ER and 1 FP (got a rec from one)
Played Rugby for 4 years of Undergrad
About 4 EC in Undergrad from soup kitchen to Student Global AIDS Campaign
6 week AIDS service project in South Africa
Research experience in twin studies and dev. of mental illness (OCD+anxiety)

Now a Graduate Assistant in an academic support services office while finishing my masters.

thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.

You guys get beat to death with these questions but I really value peer feedback. Im applying the 2010-2011 application cycle, early (end of June).

BS Psychology

cGPA 3.35
MCAT 32P

Now a Graduate Assistant in an academic support services office while finishing my masters.

thanks everyone

You've got a little of everything, and I think you're making up for your low GPA in all the other areas. Just put together a good essay (which sounds like it will be easy enough) and figure out why you want to be a physician and I'd say you've got great chances!

Good luck!

Hey everyone.

BS Psychology

cGPA 3.35
MCAT 32P

thanks everyone
You have a good chance with your mcat albeit your sGPA is a little bit low but not too low. I believe if you appply early to at least 10+ schools, you will get in somewhere. Also, apply the the newer schools like William Carey, Rocky Vista, Lecom-B ect... because their stats tend to be lower than the more established schools.

Hey everyone,
I'm thinking about applying for the 2011 cycle.

Academics
Double major- Biological Sciences, History
cGPA: 3.53 (most likely to improve to 3.61)
sGPA: 3.14 (most likely to improve to 3.34)
Haven't taken MCAT yet; taking it in May.

EC's
50hrs. DO shadowing, physical medicine & rehab <~ also received LOR
150hrs. volunteering at hospital- P.A.C.U.
couple seasons intramural volleyball
Percussionist since high school
Alpha Lambda Delta honor society
Phi Alpha Theta history honor society
community service days (a few times a semester)
Also work at university admissions office

Awards
Won the Frank O'Brion scholarship in Fall 2006 (freshman yr. college)
Recipient of the New England Scholar Award
Dean's List for 4 consecutive semesters

I know it's hard to judge without an actual MCAT score, but how good a chance do you guys think I'll have in the application cycle? I plan on applying as early in June as I can. Also, I'm thinking about taking some accelerated summer courses in June and July, so how will that affect how long the application takes to get verified?

Hey everyone,

Academics

Your biggest red flag right now is that science gpa...it looks like you are retaking classes to estimate that kind of a jump so that is really good. Do your best on the MCAT and apply as early as you can to a range of schools. Also, hopefully you are still volunteering, because schools like to see longevity and commitment. Good luck!

Hey everyone,

Academics

EC's
50hrs. DO shadowing, physical medicine & rehab <~ also received LOR
150hrs. volunteering at hospital- P.A.C.U.
couple seasons intramural volleyball
Percussionist since high school
Alpha Lambda Delta honor society
Phi Alpha Theta history honor society
community service days (a few times a semester)
Also work at university admissions office

Awards
Won the Frank O'Brion scholarship in Fall 2006 (freshman yr. college)
Recipient of the New England Scholar Award
Dean's List for 4 consecutive semesters

I know it's hard to judge without an actual MCAT score, but how good a chance do you guys think I'll have in the application cycle? I plan on applying as early in June as I can. Also, I'm thinking about taking some accelerated summer courses in June and July, so how will that affect how long the application takes to get verified?
26+ MCAT will give you a decent chance

Hi,
I am a senior at a top 40 University and I just finished my fall semester. Due to poor grades my sophomore year for being unmotivated and depressed by physics my cGPA is a 3.339 and due to a C- in both physics II and orgo II my science GPA is a 3.157 or so. However, I took both physics I(earned a C+ at my regular university) and II over the summer at a local private college and earned an A for both semesters. Unfortunately, the courses were only 3 credits while the physics courses at my regular university were 4 credits due to the lab component(which I didn't take at the local private college).

Does this mean I'll have to retake the 1 credit physics lab as well since its grade was incorporated into my physics course at the regular university and anything below a C is not accepted? It seems like such a waste of time and money to take a 1 credit physics lab on its own.

I am planning on retaking both semesters of organic chemistry at the same local private college once I graduate and hopefully scoring A's. How much do the physics courses(3 credits each) that I took mitigate my old scores of C+ and C- at my regular university? Do they completely replace them? In that case, my science GPA would be much higher, especially if the same applies when I retake organic chemistry.

I was planning on taking a year off(obviously) and my adjusted plan is to take a kaplan MCAT course beginning sometime in late may/june as well as to take organic chemistry I and II over the summer. Do you think I could still have applications in for the following cycle? I really do not want to have to wait two years and I would really appreciate it if someone would explain the application cycle to me fully. Could I have my primaries and secondaries in and then have my MCAT scores sent(assuming I end up taking the MCAT in september or something)? Please tell me I still have a chance at DO as I will definitely try my hardest to ensure that I obtain a 4.0 or thereabouts next semester so that my cGPA becomes a 3.4. Lastly, I really appreciate all of your replies and am in dire need of advice. Thank you so much in advance!

Sorry for the length I posted on here a few times. So I went to a small college as a freshman and sophomore. I ended up with a 2.65 cumulative gpa (not sure about the science gpa) I retook 3 classes which the newer grade will replace the old which will help and am retaking a fourth. I am now at a larger, well known with a good reputation university and just finished the first semester of my junior year, getting a 3.19. In between changing schools I was tested for ADHD and was put on medication this year. My doctor is still regulating everything-nasty side affects. There is an increase in my gpa but not nearly enough. I know that i can get it much higher next semester. The problem is, they didn't give me the financial aid I was supposed to get so I am playing 40k + living expenses (Boston is NOT cheap) Now I can do coop for 6 months or so which will put me about a year behind. I doubt me schools will take the ADHD as an excuse of my grades being so low therefore I know I won't get into med school right after college.
Do you recommend transferring to a third school? (USF, UCF, or FSU) where I will get instate tuition, where I will save around 40k by the time I graduate.

What type of grad school will be the best to getting into med school??
Will one of those post bacs help, even if I have already taken all the premed classes?

That being said I know my grades are going to go up, when they are all averaged together they won't be good enough and I am getting very discouraged. I am accumulating massive amounts of loans, my parents are against transferring but aren't helping me pay for anything.

What should I do? What do you think the best thing is to do in my situation?
I really do appreciate any help you can give and thank you ahead of time.

I would save the $40K. If you don't get into medical school, you'll be happy you did (and $40K isn't exactly chump change even if you do get in).

Maybe you should take a year off (maybe do some volunteering), get your biochemistry sorted out, and then find an affordable school and give it your all. A break, followed by a strong performance would show that you recognized your problem and took the necessary steps to correct it.

Would someone please address my questions?

Also, might I ask WHY my thread was merged with this one? Are we really just trying to minimize the number of new threads created? I feel that I would get more views and personal responses if I had been allowed to keep my thread separate and individual. This isn't some videogame forum where it doesn't matter much whether you get your questions answered or not. The medical school application process is critical to my future, as I'm sure it is for all of you.

Anyways, I would just GREATLY appreciate some informative advice/replies. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My first post here, great forum, excellent source of info!

Been doing a lot of reading about the MD vs DO stuff and came up with some questions for my own situation. My application date is way off, because I'm currently active duty in the US Air Force, and will be until May 2014, so I'll be applying then.

1) By the time I apply, I'll be 33 year olds, married, and probably a father of 1 (we are trying right now). With that being said, since I'm not the typical single 24 year old fresh out of college applicant, will I be better off applying to DO schools?

2) I'll be finishing my undergrad degree in Psychology this coming year, and I'll have time to complete my graduate degree before I separate from the military. When the field of research is brought up, would my thesis, which will basically be a psychological study, be considered research?

3) Will my military experience make my application look better? I'm not in the medical field now, but I've got supervisory experience, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, plenty of volunteering, spent time building orphanages in Honduras, and my wife and I work with disabled Japanese children at a local orphanage. I also speak fluent Japanese (kinda had to learn when I married a Japanese girl and needed to speak with her family :laugh:). I play with a local Japanese baseball team, and I'm the only American in the league. Is this all stuff that will be looked at in my application/interview?

4) As far as shadowing experience goes, I've been a Red Cross volunteer at the local Navy hospital for 12 hours a week for the past year, and will continue doing it. I've shadowed 2 MD's, and several nurses, but I'll have to hunt down a DO to shadow.

5) Being in the military for the last 6 years, I've moved around a lot. Went from Italy, to Germany, to Honduras, to Japan, and possibly to the US very soon. I've been able to get the majority of my classes done with the University of Maryland, but they just don't offer many higher level science courses. My basic biology and chemistry sequence is done, and I've got a 3.8 average for those 4 classes. I think my overall GPA is in the 3.5-3.6 range right now. But I'm going to have to wait until I get back to the US to do the upper level stuff like microbiology, organic chem, and physics. Is it looked down upon to have transcripts from multiple schools. It's not like I voluntarily am changing schools, it's just that being in the military and moving around so much, I have no other choice.

6) Over these next 4 years while I'm serving the rest of my time in the military, can you think of anything I can do to improve my chances at getting into medical school (either DO or MD)?

I apologize for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure all this out now. I know this is what I want to do, and once I get something in my mind I won't give up, but I know getting into medical school is going to be difficult, and I'm just trying to get info from people who have been through it.

So, what would you have done differently if given an extra 4 years of "pre-med" status?

Thanks for all the help!

Hi,
I am a senior at a top 40 University and I just finished my fall semester. Due to poor grades my sophomore year for being unmotivated and depressed by physics my cGPA is a 3.339 and due to a C- in both physics II and orgo II my science GPA is a 3.157 or so. However, I took both physics I(earned a C+ at my regular university) and II over the summer at a local private college and earned an A for both semesters. Unfortunately, the courses were only 3 credits while the physics courses at my regular university were 4 credits due to the lab component(which I didn't take at the local private college).

Does this mean I'll have to retake the 1 credit physics lab as well since its grade was incorporated into my physics course at the regular university and anything below a C is not accepted? It seems like such a waste of time and money to take a 1 credit physics lab on its own.

I am planning on retaking both semesters of organic chemistry at the same local private college once I graduate and hopefully scoring A's. How much do the physics courses(3 credits each) that I took mitigate my old scores of C+ and C- at my regular university? Do they completely replace them? In that case, my science GPA would be much higher, especially if the same applies when I retake organic chemistry.

I was planning on taking a year off(obviously) and my adjusted plan is to take a kaplan MCAT course beginning sometime in late may/june as well as to take organic chemistry I and II over the summer. Do you think I could still have applications in for the following cycle? I really do not want to have to wait two years and I would really appreciate it if someone would explain the application cycle to me fully. Could I have my primaries and secondaries in and then have my MCAT scores sent(assuming I end up taking the MCAT in september or something)? Please tell me I still have a chance at DO as I will definitely try my hardest to ensure that I obtain a 4.0 or thereabouts next semester so that my cGPA becomes a 3.4. Lastly, I really appreciate all of your replies and am in dire need of advice. Thank you so much in advance!

Yea I think you need more physics because 8 semester units are required so those 6 units would not be enough. Yes retaking classes replaces grades for DO schools, but not for MD schools.

For the application cycle I'd suggest you take the MCAT in June, July or August if you are going to take it in the summer. September would be ok but the earlier the better as your app wouldn't be complete until October. Considering that people start filling out secondaries in July this is a little late, but still feasible. You can fill out the primary without an MCAT score, but they won't look at your secondaries without one.

I'd suggest taking the MCAT by August or September whichever you can handle. Take those summer classes which end in August or September I would imagine. Send out your primary application a month or so before you take your MCAT. It often takes 8 weeks to verify your primary and 4 weeks to get your MCAT score so they would get to you at the same time. For example send out the primary in July, take the MCAT in August and get your secondaries in September. If you can get your GPA to 3.4 you should have a good shot. Hopefully I answered your questions.

Thanks Kid A,
You did just about answer all of my questions except that I think there may have been a misunderstanding with regards to my physics credits. I took both physics I and II at my regular University which were worth 4 credits(with an incorporated lab to the course) and earned a C+ and a C- respectively. I took physics I and II anew over this past summer at a local private college but the system at this school divided the lecture and the lab courses separately so that the lecture course was only 3 credits and the lab was 1 credit. I only took the lecture courses and earned an A for both physics I and II. Can these grades replace my original scores of C+ and C- even though they were 1 credit less? Would I still have to take the 1 credit lab for physics II since the lab course I did take at my regular University was just incorporated into my physics II grade of C-? I hope that made sense. It's a little difficult to explain in writing.

I'm planning on retaking orgo I and II at that same private college that I did physics I and II over the summer and again the lecture courses will only be worth 3 credits each while the orgo I and II courses taken at my regular University were worth 4 credits each(just the lecture courses alone). I hope that the new grades I obtain can still replace them?

Lastly, when I viewed the AACOMAS website, it seemed that the latest the application can be completed and transcripts finalized is by April 3rd with most schools having their deadlines in February. This conflicts with the timeline you provided me. Are these deadlines actually for students who will be matriculating by next September and not actually for students who will be matriculating a year later? Thanks a bunch!
Darkskies

Thanks Kid A,
You did just about answer all of my questions except that I think there may have been a misunderstanding with regards to my physics credits. I took both physics I and II at my regular University which were worth 4 credits(with an incorporated lab to the course) and earned a C+ and a C- respectively. I took physics I and II anew over this past summer at a local private college but the system at this school divided the lecture and the lab courses separately so that the lecture course was only 3 credits and the lab was 1 credit. I only took the lecture courses and earned an A for both physics I and II. Can these grades replace my original scores of C+ and C- even though they were 1 credit less? Would I still have to take the 1 credit lab for physics II since the lab course I did take at my regular University was just incorporated into my physics II grade of C-? I hope that made sense. It's a little difficult to explain in writing.

I'm planning on retaking orgo I and II at that same private college that I did physics I and II over the summer and again the lecture courses will only be worth 3 credits each while the orgo I and II courses taken at my regular University were worth 4 credits each(just the lecture courses alone). I hope that the new grades I obtain can still replace them?

Lastly, when I viewed the AACOMAS website, it seemed that the latest the application can be completed and transcripts finalized is by April 3rd with most schools having their deadlines in February. This conflicts with the timeline you provided me. Are these deadlines actually for students who will be matriculating by next September and not actually for students who will be matriculating a year later? Thanks a bunch!
Darkskies

I can't answer your first 2 questions that well because i am not that sure how the grade replacement works. I'd imagine they are supposed to be equivalent classes, so it would make sense that you would have to retake that physics lab.

Well for the deadlines- if it said a deadline of Feb 1st 2011 it's for the students entering school in 2011. However, schools are on rolling applications and you have a much better shot of getting in if you apply in the summer and fall of 2010. So, while it's possible to get in this late the odds go down the closer to the deadline.

I'll be applying in the 2010-2011 cycle. Any feedback would be nice:

4 years ago
GPA: 2.84
BCPM: 2.68

There's a mix of D's and F's there. I quit school and held a few crappy jobs. Nothing health related really.

Since then
The last 3 years, my GPA has been 3.99. Recently graduated. Now my GPAs are:
MD GPA: 3.37
MD BCPM: 3.23

DO GPA: 3.43
DO sGPA: 3.30

Note: I can't retake some of the D's and F's because they are not offered at my new school or any school around me.

Took the MCAT for the first time - 37 (10+ on all sections).

As for ECs, the only volunteering I did in school was teaching and 10 weeks in a pharmacy. Since October, I've done a mix of clinical volunteering about 10 hours per week, which I'll continue to do until I get accepted. All involve direct pt contact. I'm also teaching part-time.

I have a few clinical activities before I got serious about medicine but nothing to write home about. I was a triage tech for a month. Zero research.

Things I need to do: DO shadow + LOR & research/lab experience. It's hard for someone with zero research experience to find a paid lab position, but I think I can put something together from now until I apply. I will also be applying to an in-state SMP this spring.

---
I have a feeling with my MCAT and my recent grades, I will be competitive for the '10-11 cycle but I wanted some other opinions just in case I am being too optimistic.

(I love how this site likes to double post me)

Last edited:
cGPA: 2.3
3 Fs (Calc, Genetics. Organic I)
2 Ds (physics I, upper level chem)
Junior at nation's top school

I am planning to apply to DO school, and retake all my courses. Hoping for a 2.9/3.0 cGPA by the time I graduate.

Questions:
1. So for the classes that I retake, DO schools are going to count only the retaken grades into my GPA right?

2. Which DO school should I shoot for? The top notch ones are definitely not for me.

3. Are there any post-bacc programs that gets one into a DO school?

1. So for the classes that I retake, DO schools are going to count only the retaken grades into my GPA right?
Yes but they see it all.

2. Which DO school should I shoot for? The top notch ones are definitely not for me.
Apply broadly. There is a small difference between the top and bottom DO programs.

3. Are there any post-bacc programs that gets one into a DO school?
Some DO schools have post-baccs. Find the CIB for DO school (it's in one of the FAQs). But generally, any post-bacc that helps you get into MD will help you get into DO as well.

I am seeing post-bacc in your future. 3 F's and a 2.3 GPA will have you screened out at nearly all D.O. schools. Don't think D.O. is the easy route out if you have a bad GPA.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "top-notch" D.O. school. All follow the same standards.

I'll be applying in the 2010-2011 cycle. Any feedback would be nice:

4 years ago
GPA: 2.84
BCPM: 2.68

There's a mix of D's and F's there. I quit school and held a few crappy jobs. Nothing health related really.

Since then
The last 3 years, my GPA has been 3.99. Recently graduated. Now my GPAs are:
MD GPA: 3.37
MD BCPM: 3.23

DO GPA: 3.43
DO sGPA: 3.30

Note: I can't retake some of the D's and F's because they are not offered at my new school or any school around me.

Took the MCAT for the first time - 37 (10+ on all sections).

As for ECs, the only volunteering I did in school was teaching and 10 weeks in a pharmacy. Since October, I've done a mix of clinical volunteering about 10 hours per week, which I'll continue to do until I get accepted. All involve direct pt contact. I'm also teaching part-time.

I have a few clinical activities before I got serious about medicine but nothing to write home about. I was a triage tech for a month. Zero research.

Things I need to do: DO shadow + LOR & research/lab experience. It's hard for someone with zero research experience to find a paid lab position, but I think I can put something together from now until I apply. I will also be applying to an in-state SMP this spring.

---
I have a feeling with my MCAT and my recent grades, I will be competitive for the '10-11 cycle but I wanted some other opinions just in case I am being too optimistic.
Very good chance with that MCAT and the upward trend in your GPA

Hey everyone.

BS Psychology

cGPA 3.35
MCAT 32P

thanks everyone

Do you mind telling us how did u study for your mcat?

Do you mind telling us how did u study for your mcat?

I can't tell you how Isoprop studied for the MCAT, but I can tell you how I did it.
*Disclaimer: I teach for Kaplan now, and I recognize my biases.*

I took the Kaplan course, and while it helped, it was really some of the materials outside of the classroom that really helped me. I utilized the took all of the Kaplan generated practice exams and 4-6 (I honestly can't remember) of the AAMC exams. I took all of my exams in a fairly bustling coffee shop so I would learn to really focus in on what I was doing. After I would take the exam, I would immediately review it and look for the things I really sucked at. After I identified my weaknesses on a given exam, I would use the topic specific workshops/quizzes to strengthen my weak areas. After two or three practice exams (and remediation work) I would use QBank to set up another mini-MCAT. For this, I'd either set up a quiz (either an aggregate quiz of my weaknesses or just a sampling of everything) and do that under test like conditions.

More than anything, practicing test conditions and questions is what pushed my score up, IMHO.

I'm complete at 6 schools currently- and I haven't heard anything. I understand the break has probably put a hold on new interview invitations, but I thought I might post here and see what you all think about my chances.
I'm really hoping for PNWU. I am a NW resident.

MCAT 28 (BS 10, PS 9, VR 9, O)

GPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
(These should both be over 3.4 after this semesters grades are applied.)

Extremely varied shadowing, although only ~100 hours.
Ophthalmology service trip to India.
Employed as a phlebotomist.
1 year of volunteering in ER.
Chair of health committee for campus political action organization.

Should have great letters, one from locally well known pediatrician D.O.

What does everyone think? I'm starting to feel discouraged. :confused:

I'm complete at 6 schools currently- and I haven't heard anything. I understand the break has probably put a hold on new interview invitations, but I thought I might post here and see what you all think about my chances.
I'm really hoping for PNWU. I am a NW resident.

MCAT 28 (BS 10, PS 9, VR 9, O)

GPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
(These should both be over 3.4 after this semesters grades are applied.)

Extremely varied shadowing, although only ~100 hours.
Ophthalmology service trip to India.
Employed as a phlebotomist.
1 year of volunteering in ER.
Chair of health committee for campus political action organization.

Should have great letters, one from locally well known pediatrician D.O.

What does everyone think? I'm starting to feel discouraged. :confused:

Well you are right about it being slow due to the holidays. If after that you don't hear much from schools remember to apply really early next cycle...like May or June and you should have better results. You may also want to add more schools next cycle too. Good luck!

Hello everyone! I'm just looking for a little advice and thought you might be able to help me.

I'm pursuing a degree in accounting/information systems which I fully intend to complete (as I'm already so far into it and it certainly is a beneficial thing to know) , but my heart has always been with helping people and medicine.

If I complete the accounting degree (graduate) THEN go back and take these courses for med school:

BIO 1&2 WITH LABS
CHEM 1&2 WITH LABS
ORGANIC 1&2 WITH LAB
PHYSICS WITH LAB
ANATOMY WITH LAB
MICROBIOLOGY WITH LAB
BIOCHEMISTRY WITH LAB
CALCULUS

some other info about me...

I'll be about 28 years old when I would be ready to apply
I'll have about 1,000 clinical hours as a C.N.A
I'll have 700 hours, give or take, of self directed volunteer work
I will not have any research work, because I just plain don't like it
I have a solid athletic (for extra curriculars) background

SOO.... given this information, and assuming I do well in my science classes do you think a person in my circumstances would have any shot of being taken by a D.O. school?

Oh, and just to clarify I'm not applying to D.O. schools because I believe it will be any easier. My G.P. is a D.O., I like their emphasis on primary care and would love to be able to incorporate O.M.T into my practice

BIO 1&2 WITH LABS
CHEM 1&2 WITH LABS
ORGANIC 1&2 WITH LAB
PHYSICS WITH LAB
ANATOMY WITH LAB
MICROBIOLOGY WITH LAB
BIOCHEMISTRY WITH LAB
CALCULUS

Regarding your courses, anatomy and microbiology are usually not required but are recommended. Genetics and biochemistry often are required. Sometimes biochemistry can substitute for Organic II, and some schools (DMU for sure) don't require Organic II. Also you need two semester of physics.

Be sure to jump on the general bio and chem as they are usually prerequisites to other required courses. If it were me, I'd take these concurrent with your last accounting courses. It could save you a year in the process.

Something you might also find interesting--if you've taken statistics, almost every school accepts it as a replacement for 2nd semester calculus. Check the schools you're interested in, of course, but at every school I applied to (allo and osteo) this is the case. I think you have a great shot, good luck. :)

Hey everyone,

You guys at SDN have been incredibly helpful in the whole researching process so far, so I want to take a moment out and thank you all for your help!

I also have some questions I was hoping you can help out with so that I can make sure I have everything set for the 2011 application cycle.

1. This will be my first time applying for medical schools. I am planning to take the MCAT in May, and I know it takes about 30 days to get your scores back. How does verification work for the AACOMAS or even the AMCAS? How long do you have to wait? And does the waiting period start after they receive the MCAT score?

2. I got a C+/B- in Organic Chem and I haven't taken the lab portion yet (I was really ill when taking them). I was planning to do an accelerated summer session of both of those plus the lab requirement, so I'd probably be done with both over June and July. Should I not take them accelerated, will that affect getting my grades replaced at all?

3. I'm actually graduating from college in May, but I wanted a gap year to improve upon my stats, as well as take some time off. What are some things I can do that you recommend for the gap year? I've thought about possibly trying to get involved with clinical research, but I'm not a huge research fan.

Thanks again for the help!

1. AACOMAS took 7.5 weeks and AMCAS about 3.5 weeks for me.
2. the labs are just going to add upto 2 credits so probably won't affect your overall gpa that much unless you fail them.
3. a. structured programs i.e SMPs
b. if you don't like research, don't do it. it's not a requirement, don't just do it for the hell of it. you could engage in some volunteering that you might actually love doing. more shadowing perhaps. you could try to get a job where you get patient contact (that's what i did).

You could do a year in AmeriCorps. That's what I'm in right now. It's a 10 month program and I work in a clinic similarly to an MA and have lots of shadowing and outreach opportunities.

it would be really helpful if you could post your gpa, if you have a 3.4 and get a 27 on the mcats, you should be able to get into most DO schools. If you have not already started to, I would recommend doing Extra curricular work, if you have not already started to do so.

As far as your actual questions go:

1. I turned my application the first week of june, and it took till end of june for it to be verified. I know for some people, it has taken months especially if they applied later.
2. I don't think so, but accelerated = harder, since there is lot less time. So, make sure you are ready for increased work load.
3. I am currently doing a postbacc/master's program and I hate it. So, if you really want to take a year off, do something like the previous poster recommended or work at a hospital if you don't like to do research. I would have personally get a job that is not even related to field of science and relax my mind and enjoy the time you have off.

Did you receive a B- or C+ in Organic? Many people don't do well first semester and if you were sick, it sound like you pushed though ok. If you haven't taken second semester, make every effort to do better, form study groups, get a tutor, live in office hours- whatever.

Can you tell us more about what ECs you have?

It's really important to dedicate the time to do well on the MCAT. I blocked out time equivalent to a 6 credit hour science class, one you don't like and will have to spend more time on :)

The other posters are correct, aim for at least a 27. That's 9,9,9. Don't underestimate the exam, its actually not an easy feat to pull of a 27+ you really have to be diligent.
I would say focus on the classes you have for spring and doing well on the MCAT. The earlier you submit your accomas ( I did the end of June and it took 4 weeks. It seems like folks who submitted later in the cycle waiter a LOT longer to be verified).

Thanks for the help. In reply to some of the questions:

I got a C+ in Orgo I and a B- in Orgo II, and I have not taken the lab portion yet. I am thinking about taking those two classes again over the summer.

As for EC's and other stuff: I have about 200 hrs of hospital volunteering (which I am also continuing to add to), and I've shadowed a DO for 50 hours in physical medicine and rehabilitation. I have played some intramural volleyball. I was a drummer for 1 year or rather two seasons in the band (I also did this for four years in high school before coming to college, I don't know if that's worth adding to the app). I've been in Alpha Lambda Delta honor society, and I've also been invited to join the history honor society (I'm a double major, biology and history), and I've been on the Dean's List three times.

What's your GPA? If you have a decent science GPA, I wouldn't worry about repeating OChem. They're tough classes and a C+/B- isn't horrible as long as you don't make them a habit. If you can, I'd recommend trying other chem classes instead, I enjoyed BioChem a lot more than OChem.

What's your GPA? If you have a decent science GPA, I wouldn't worry about repeating OChem. They're tough classes and a C+/B- isn't horrible as long as you don't make them a habit. If you can, I'd recommend trying other chem classes instead, I enjoyed BioChem a lot more than OChem.

My cGPA is a 3.53, but my science GPA is only 3.14. I actually took biochem, and I got an A-. I want to take OChem over because I feel like I can do better than a B- and a C+ since I've done better in most of my other science classes.

My cGPA is a 3.53, but my science GPA is only 3.14. I actually took biochem, and I got an A-. I want to take OChem over because I feel like I can do better than a B- and a C+ since I've done better in most of my other science classes.

I think you should retake a few science courses (obviously the ones you have received B-s or lower in) and raise your sGPA. Make sure you can get A-s or better in them. Your sGPA is low, even for the schools with lower averages. A strong MCAT score will help to ease some of the burden of your sGPA, but you can make life easier on yourself by bringing it up a bit.

Not to second guess you, but off-hand are you including math courses in your sGPA calculation? If so, re-figure it without math in your calculations, as AACOMAS does not include it in their calculations.

Hey everyone,

You guys at SDN have been incredibly helpful in the whole researching process so far, so I want to take a moment out and thank you all for your help!

I also have some questions I was hoping you can help out with so that I can make sure I have everything set for the 2011 application cycle.

1. This will be my first time applying for medical schools. I am planning to take the MCAT in May, and I know it takes about 30 days to get your scores back. How does verification work for the AACOMAS or even the AMCAS? How long do you have to wait? And does the waiting period start after they receive the MCAT score?

2. I got a C+/B- in Organic Chem and I haven't taken the lab portion yet (I was really ill when taking them). I was planning to do an accelerated summer session of both of those plus the lab requirement, so I'd probably be done with both over June and July. Should I not take them accelerated, will that affect getting my grades replaced at all?

3. I'm actually graduating from college in May, but I wanted a gap year to improve upon my stats, as well as take some time off. What are some things I can do that you recommend for the gap year? I've thought about possibly trying to get involved with clinical research, but I'm not a huge research fan.

Thanks again for the help!

1. The waiting period is school-dependent. A lot of schools will send you the secondary, so you'll likely get your MCAT score a little after you submit the secondary.

2. Doesn't matter. Take them when it is most convenient.

3. Do something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy clinical research, don't do it, because it won't set you apart. I worked in a steel yard for two years and interviewers asked me about that much more than anything clinical or academic.

As far as retaking OChem, I wouldn't do it (I personally got a C and B- in Ochem and got in to 5 DO schools & waitlisted at 1). Of course I say this with the qualifier that you have another way to raise your sGPA. As long as you have a smaller number of sciences courses that can be counteracted to a decent degree (the 3.1 to a 3.3 or so) by doing well in a couple of classes, then I would take a few sciences courses that you may enjoy more and in interviews I would ride hard the fact that you got an A- in biochem.

What courses have you taken already and what is your major?

1) For any school that screens you won't get a secondary until they have received your MCAT scores. Although only a few schools actually screen applications.

Hey everyone,
I am currently quite confused about my future, focused for several years on medical but seeing no light at the end of the tunnel.
I am a Canadian from Kingston Ontario. My GPA is strong at 3.85 sci and 3.9 overall. However my MCAT is unfortunately low even after 3 attempts, 27 overall with a 6 in verbal and S in writing. My ECs are above average with 5-6 research experiences, lots of leadership experiences, varsity team member at university, lots of doctor shadowing and int'l volunteer experience.

My end goal is to practice in Canada and if not then possibly settle in the USA. Any chance of DO in the USA?

BS and PS are 10
VR is 5
GPA 3.93

I know DO schools have avg. mcat of 25 and above. But with these scores and GPA can I get in.
I have all the other fields like volunteering, shadowing, scholarships, leaderships experiences in profile. Just the stupid VR is killing me...

Your advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Are you looking to apply this cycle or next? I think you'll want to retake the MCAT and get the VR to a 7 or 8. However, there is nothing preventing you from applying to a bunch of schools and seeing if anything sticks. The only problem is that the application process gets expensive quickly.

I'll apply to DO in 2011 cycle. I heard that DO schools have less pressure on MCAT and more on Extracurricular activities.

If I am taking the Jan. MCAT, can I still apply to DO schools?

With your GPA you probably could have gotten away with a 25 MCAT, but I think a "5" in verbal hurts you quite a bit...who knows though it is all a crapshoot anyway.

(It sounds like you're just looking at DO because of your "less than stellar" MCAT, if that is the case I'd advise against it)

If I am taking the Jan. MCAT, can I still apply to DO schools?

Check the CiB. If you google AACOMAS + CiB, you'll get the hit. Or, you can search by a post from Chocolate Bear on SDN and use his signature to find the link to the CiB. It has a "data sheet" for each school and will have the deadlines on it.

OP, you should consider calling the schools you are interested in and asking if they have a cut-off. If they won't screen you out based on your MCAT score and Verbal subsection, it is worth applying IMO.

really you have time..
i'd retake it if i were you..
if you can push a 28+ with a 8 in the verbal you'll be alright for most MD & DO