* *2009-2010 "What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just do your best on the MCAT. You should be fine. Be prepared to explain your career shift.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am a DO hopeful who is in need of some advice. I spoke to a premed advisor who was really no help and I am lost on what I need to do to improve my chances to go to DO school.

I am currently a Senior at a small state university who will graduate in December 2010. I had a rocky start at university with a death of a close family member which caused me to withdraw completely out of a semester. (I also have other "special circumstances" including being the primary guardian of two children).

Here are my stats:

2 excellent LOR from DOs
100+ Volunteer hours
Volunteer out of country in medical relief camps for 3 years

I am going to take the MCAT in August/September of this year. I have yet to take Bio 2 & Physics 2 which I will take in the summer.

Here are courses I've taken with grades:
Would doing a masters program first help?

If you made it this far.. Thank you!! I look forward to all advice! You guys are great :love:

P.S. I am a 2011 or 2012 hopeful.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm an international student from jordan. I dream to become a pediatrician. I moved to the united states with my family 4 years ago. I finished highschool and got into a college where i maintained a 3.8 gpa. I applied to a well known university after that, but it was hard for me especially when english is my second language. I scored a very high school on the toefel so my english is getting much better and took advanced english classes with grades not below an A. however, my gpa at the university dropped dramatically to the 2.0's and i had a bad semmester my first year in that university(Biology and chemistry were included) before this university i got As in 2 biology courses. but in teh university i got a really bad grade and dropped out of chemistry. I took easy classes after that to raise my gpa and i'm close to a 3.0 however, I had family issues and had to move...again

at the new university that i transferred to now, I am planning on getting no less than As in my science classes. I know I am capable of doing it now after all the hard work with english and the growth process ive been through. so with a 3.8 my freshman year, a 2.6 my sophmore year, and hopefully close to a 4.0 junior and sophmore year.
Do I have a chance? at all? its harder for international students to be accepted in US schools.
what schools accept more international students? i have volunteer experience in a cancer center for a year, volunteer ata medical center > year
I tutored orphans at this organization back home in jordan and hopefully I will travel this summer and do research in thailand.

I am planning on shadowing a doctor soon. I am going to try my best to score high on the MCAT.

please help me I think about this issue everyday.
would my sophmore year with my bad gpa affect me alot, if i raise my gpa by the time i graduate and retake the classes with bad grades?

what schools should i apply to that you know would accept an international student that is not a complete genius

and if all else fails, what is your opinion on caribbean schools? i know they accept more international students but what about the outcome? i do want to come back to the u.s and work here. is it hard to go back to the u.s from the caribbean?

also has anyone heard about weill cornell in qatar? what is their gpa requirement is it easier to get in their because it is in the middle east?
I appreciate any help ,
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am a DO hopeful who is in need of some advice. I spoke to a premed advisor who was really no help and I am lost on what I need to do to improve my chances to go to DO school.

I am currently a Senior at a small state university who will graduate in December 2010. I had a rocky start at university with a death of a close family member which caused me to withdraw completely out of a semester. (I also have other "special circumstances" including being the primary guardian of two children).

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.17
sGPA: (I'm having trouble calculating this- my premed "advisor" calculated it as 3.0 and I calculate it as 2.8?)
2 excellent LOR from DOs
100+ Volunteer hours
Volunteer out of country in medical relief camps for 3 years

I am going to take the MCAT in August/September of this year. I have yet to take Bio 2 & Physics 2 which I will take in the summer.

Here are courses I've taken with grades:
C Molec & Cell
B- gen chem. 1
A- lit analysis
A- intro to calc
C- art appreciation
C+ bio principles
A- bio princ lab
C gen chem. 1
B+ gen chem. 1 lab
B gen psych
A Women’s studies
A- World Georgaphy
A Premed success
B+ intro to sociology
C General Chem 2
A Gen Chem 2 Lab
B+ Abnormal Psychology
A- Cognition
D Psychopharmacology
B- Organic Chemistry 1
B Microbiology
A- Microbio Lab
B+ Intro to Philosophy
B Psychology Research
B Biological Bases of Behavior
A- Social Psychology
A Biological Anthropology
A Psych of human Development
A- Computer Lab in Psychobiology
A Spanish 1
B Comparative Animal Behavior
A Being Card for: Other Side Bed
A- Physics Lab 1
B+ General Physics

I am currently enrolled in Orgo 2 + lab. Any advice on what I need to do to improve my chances for DO school? Should I retake my "C" science classes? Would doing a masters program first help?

If you made it this far.. Thank you!! I look forward to all advice! You guys are great :love:

P.S. I am a 2011 or 2012 hopeful.

An unhelpful pre-medical adviser? What is this world coming to?? ;)

Here are my suggestions:

1. Retake anything that you received a C- or lower in
2. Do awesome (A's) in the rest of your science classes
3. Do well on the MCAT,28+, but preferably over 30 (this will be the best indicator of your 'chances').
4. Get all your ducks in a row early in the application cycle so you can apply broadly and early.
5. This is optional, but you could incorporate your experience being a legal guardian, etc, into your personal statement when the time comes.
6. Keep getting good volunteer experience/building LOR relationships.

Good luck, and for now, focus on grades and MCAT.

As everyone always says, it's hard to tell without knowing your MCAT.

Obviously, multiple C's, and 1 D are going to make an Admissions Committe :confused:

As you said, you've got circumstances. So, saturate the market with WHY these things happened. I've struggled with some of these classes with all the time in the world to study. I can't imagine trying to take care of 2 children on top of it. Power to you.

Also, you have to let them know how you're going to overcome obstacles in Med school. Are you still going to be the guardian for those children? How are you going to succeed in Medical School with similar circumstances that held you back some in undegrad? THAT'S NOT TO DISCOURAGE YOU.

That's to simply say, figure it out. They're going to want to know.

and Remember. MCAT,MCAT, MCAT. If you can combine a very good MCAT score with your reasons for struggling, they're more likely to realize you can succeed in medical school.

Thank you JaggerPlate and Jm192 for the excellent advice :). Making plans to retake my C classes/kick butt on the MCAT and will apply for the 2012 cycle!

Hey guys!

So heres the deal. I'm getting ready to apply for the 2010-2011 cycle and I want to get some good information to help guide my applications so it can be done quick and where I have the best chances.

About me: Fl Resident and FSU Graduate with Biological Sciences (Suprise!)

GPA: About 3.3

MCAT: Taking it next week. All of my practice tests have been between 27-28 (Like 20 Full Lengths)

Resume stuff:

Treasurer for BBB 2009-2010 (Bio Honor Society)
2 Years Teaching Bio for Non-Majors Lab as a UGrad
400+ Hours Shadowing a Pediatrician
1000+ Hours (No thats not a typo) Volunteering at a Urology Clinic.
2 Years as a Research Technician at FSU
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society Member
(List goes on but you get the idea)

Now...lets get to the questions.

1.) Does anyone have any ideas for good DO schools to apply to that are OOS (NOT Florida) that wont completely throw away my application?

2.) How good are my chances to get into a DO school with my stats? Interview Chances?

3.) I have been reading about how all medical schools are obsessed with primary care physicians. How do I convey that as of now Im interested in specialties other than Primary Care without the schools rejecting me?
As of now, im REALLY interested in Forensic Pathology and am seriously considering being a Medical Examiner. Any ideas on this?

I look forward to your replies! Nice to meet you all. Gotta go keep studying for the MCAT now.

... studying for the MCAT at 2am... well there's your problem. Get some sleep dude!:laugh:

All of the private schools will look at your app. Some prefer a specific region, but they still interview good candidates. Apply early and try to do 26+ on the MCAT and you should be good.

I'd look into the following schools: CCOM, KCOM, DMU, PCOM, PCOM-GA, LECOM, Western, KCUMB, DCOM, NOVA(FL), and LECOM-B(fl). Good luck.

Hey guys!

So heres the deal. I'm getting ready to apply for the 2010-2011 cycle and I want to get some good information to help guide my applications so it can be done quick and where I have the best chances.

About me: Fl Resident and FSU Graduate with Biological Sciences (Suprise!)

GPA: About 3.3

MCAT: Taking it next week. All of my practice tests have been between 27-28 (Like 20 Full Lengths)

Resume stuff:

Treasurer for BBB 2009-2010 (Bio Honor Society)
2 Years Teaching Bio for Non-Majors Lab as a UGrad
400+ Hours Shadowing a Pediatrician
1000+ Hours (No thats not a typo) Volunteering at a Urology Clinic.
2 Years as a Research Technician at FSU
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society Member
(List goes on but you get the idea)

Now...lets get to the questions.

1.) Does anyone have any ideas for good DO schools to apply to that are OOS (NOT Florida) that wont completely throw away my application?

2.) How good are my chances to get into a DO school with my stats? Interview Chances?

3.) I have been reading about how all medical schools are obsessed with primary care physicians. How do I convey that as of now Im interested in specialties other than Primary Care without the schools rejecting me?
As of now, im REALLY interested in Forensic Pathology and am seriously considering being a Medical Examiner. Any ideas on this?

I look forward to your replies! Nice to meet you all. Gotta go keep studying for the MCAT now.

1. With a respectable MCAT you will likely be competitive at most, if not all COMs. No school will automatically throw out your application, most DO schools will consider you a good candidate. If you were to have a preference for a certain region, it would be easier to give you an assessment as to which schools to apply to.

2. If you apply you will likely be accepted at many schools you apply to assuming your predicted MCAT is correct. You will also likely receive interviews to most places you apply to. I would apply to
Reach: WesternU
UNTHSCOM
NYCOM
Competitive (50-50):
KCOM
SOMA
PCOM
LECOM
Safety:
WVSOM
TU-COM NY

3. I would say that you are interested in forensic pathology or alternatively say you are undecided and will likely make up your mind when you've completed your third year and have been exposed to various specialties. If you are interested in forensic pathology only NSU-COM offers an osteopathic fellowship in it.

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

I'm going to "up" this so I can get some more opinions.

n>3 is always good!

Assuming I read it right that you've taken 20 practice tests and scored between 27-28, then assuming you can reproduce that range +/- 1-2 points, you'll be fine. With your ECs I'd apply to any school you want. The only state schools you may have a tough time with would be TCOM, OSUCOM, UMDNJ off the top of my head, as those were the only schools that I was complete at that never contacted me for an interview. But that was just my experience.

Ok good. The reason im concerned with OOS schools is that I have lived in Fl. my whole life and I would LOVE to try living somewhere else.

PCOM seems like its a great school and Philidelphia would be a neat place to live. Any thoughts about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM has a dual DO/Masters in CJ program. Might be worth looking into.

no one is going to hold you to what you say in the interview. you dont have to commit to a career right then and there. if you are in the slightest bit interested in PC, mention it.

interviewer: "so what do you want to go into?"
you: "well i havent made up my mind yet... i've heard it's best to go into medical school with an open mind. there are a few things that i think i might be interested in, however. I think it would be cool to study internal medicine or maybe general surgery. I'm also interested in forensic path..."

Hi guys,
I graduated last winter. Throughout college, I didn't care about school at all - I got E's in Orgo 2, Physics, Biochemistry and various other science courses. My overall GPA is 2.5. Then senior year, I realized I had a passion for medicine and retook all my courses and got A's in them. I also took the MCAT and received a 38 on my first try. After graduating, I joined a lab and published three co-author papers and put in about 500 hours of volunteering. I have done various medical volunteer campaigns for the community. I have recommendations from the director of surgery in two different departments and an admissions board member. Although my GPA is abysmal, how would my chances be at a medical school (DO), given my other statistics? Thank you.

I don't recall what the GPA cutoff is for most schools, but I would look that up for your the schools that you want to attend. Then I would say apply early and broadly, because the MCAT score will probably peak someone's interest. If nothing else apply for a masters program at the same time, in case you have to sit out a year, you can just boost your GPA in the masters program.

If you retook the courses and got As in them they will replace the poor grade when you apply to only DO schools. So, you should be much higher than a 2.5 and should be fine.

Hi guys,
I graduated last winter. Throughout college, I didn't care about school at all - I got E's in Orgo 2, Physics, Biochemistry and various other science courses. My overall GPA is 2.5. Then senior year, I realized I had a passion for medicine and retook all my courses and got A's in them. I also took the MCAT and received a 38 on my first try. After graduating, I joined a lab and published three co-author papers and put in about 500 hours of volunteering. I have done various medical volunteer campaigns for the community. I have recommendations from the director of surgery in two different departments and an admissions board member. Although my GPA is abysmal, how would my chances be at a medical school (DO), given my other statistics? Thank you.

Retake a few of the classes with the highest units that you did worst in. Get a C- or C in a 5/6 unit class? retake it. Try to take 2-3 courses and get your GPA up past a 2.75 at least to make the cutoff for bottom schools (aim for at least a 3.0) and you will for sure get in with your LORs and other ECs. Also make sure you have a DO LOR if you don't already, you need it for a few schools. You could also look into SMPs if you want to continue in school in some capacity the fall, we are pretty late in the cycle for this year's applications and with your low GPA I'm not too confident. You seem like a prime candidate for DO or MD SMPs though with that high an MCAT and strong ECs

Hey guys!

I have a 3.3 gpa and a 21P on my mcats. I'm trying to get into PCOM and was wondering what my chances are.

I have around 80hrs of volunteer and have been a EMT for Jeffstat for 2 years.

The only classes that I have a c- in is physical chemistry and a humanities course called time.

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I have a 3.3 gpa and a 21P on my mcats. I'm trying to get into PCOM and was wondering what my chances are.

I have around 80hrs of volunteer and have been a EMT for Jeffstat for 2 years.

The only classes that I have a c- in is physical chemistry and a humanities course called time.

Thanks!

PCOM is a very good DO school... a 21P is really low. I would recommend that you retake the MCAT as soon as possible if you can work on getting your score higher. Your GPA isn't so bad, but most schools are looking for mid-upper twenties or better on the MCAT.

I'll make a long story short:

Out of high school, I enrolled in a school and failed. I got horrible grades and had to withdraw from a few semesters. It is painful to look at the transcript to this day. While the actual GPA isn't that bad, there are an awful amount of W's on the transcript. There we some seriously extenuating circumstances that are rather embarrassing and that I would rather not disclose.

I took two years off and made the changes I needed to. I enrolled in another university and did great. The differences are night and day ... I scored well on the MCAT.

Ever year someone somewhere either gets kicked out of school or gets their acceptance rescinded because of they didn't disclose. I am 100% sure the AACOMA's check against this sort of thing. In addition lying is a fool proof way of killing what chance I might have.

Overall, after retaking all of the classes I had epic fails in my overall is still a 3.5 and science is 3.8. I'm glad AACOMA's takes the latest grade.

So what do I do? (obviously report the first school)
-How do I explain the unbelievably awful performance out of high school?
-Should I send a letter explaining what happened? Or should I mainly focus on the positive things I have been doing and let them put 2+2 together?

Any help or insight

Your latest GPA is very good, so congrats on that. Your personal statement is your friend in this situation, I believe. If you can make what happened to you part of the narrative explaining who you are, you can come out looking pretty good. Did you learn from the negative experiences early on, did it strengthen your resolve? Will your experiences benefit you in med school? With the right spin and some work, you can come up with a pretty good PS from there.

Your current stats are fine (congrats on that GPA btw. A 3.8 isn't what I'd call a fail at all), and so long as you have everything else (medical exposure, reference letters, MCAT, ECs), you should be fine as well. I have a friend who was in a similar situation to yours and is now doing well in a pretty high-end medical school.

Admissions committees realize applicants aren't robots. We make mistakes, and so long as you've proven that you can do the work and know what you're getting into, your chances are pretty good.

The only problem now is that you definitely should make sure your schools know about your first institution. I don't remember fully, but I'm pretty sure you were supposed to list every institution you've ever been to. You have nothing to be ashamed of - rather, you should be proud to be one of the few people who was able to turn their academic performance (and perhaps, your life) around so dramatically. Same thing at interviews - if you're asked about it, tell them the truth. You had problems then, but you worked hard and moved past that point in your life. Again, do not lie.

If you're comfortable sharing the experiences with them, then that will go a long way for you.

You could just leave it be. OBviously you've trended very nicely, and they love to see that.
They know people coming out of high school don't always excel in college right away.

I think if they look at a transcript with multiple W's, they're likely to suspect some type of circumstances, especially if your grades weren't really bad.

Your current stats are fine (congrats on that GPA btw. A 3.8 isn't what I'd call a fail at all), and so long as you have everything else (medical exposure, reference letters, MCAT, ECs), you should be fine as well. I have a friend who was in a similar situation to yours and is now doing well in a pretty high-end medical school.

Admissions committees realize applicants aren't robots. We make mistakes, and so long as you've proven that you can do the work and know what you're getting into, your chances are pretty good.

The only problem now is that you definitely should make sure your schools know about your first institution. I don't remember fully, but I'm pretty sure you were supposed to list every institution you've ever been to. You have nothing to be ashamed of - rather, you should be proud to be one of the few people who was able to turn their academic performance (and perhaps, your life) around so dramatically. Same thing at interviews - if you're asked about it, tell them the truth. You had problems then, but you worked hard and moved past that point in your life. Again, do not lie.
The 3.8 GPA is only because they take the more recent of the two grades. If it were averaged it would be SIGNIFICANTLY WEIGHTED to the downside.

I agree, lying is NOT the game plan here ... mitigation / damage control is. It would take about half a page to describe what the situation was and how I changed the situation. Is this something for my essay or something for an addendum to the application?

The 3.8 GPA is only because they take the more recent of the two grades. If it were averaged it would be SIGNIFICANTLY WEIGHTED to the downside.

I agree, lying is NOT the game plan here ... mitigation / damage control is. It would take about half a page to describe what the situation was and how I changed the situation. Is this something for my essay or something for an addendum to the application?

For damage control/mitigating circumstances there are two things to demonstrate 1) what these circumstances were (depression, being immature etc.) and 2) how you remedied them (I was immature, I left college, worked and went back with a new perspective). You need to convince the AdComm that you have dealt with the issues and that they are in the past. Your 3.8 in recent classes demonstrates you can handle the work load. Explain what went wrong in detail and tell how you will prevent its recurrence.

Upward trend in grades is very significant. They take a look at your academic timeline, not simply the end result.

You're stats are good now, just make sure the rest of your application is solid. Don't even think about lying about the first school, and don't waste your personal statement explaining past screwups. Keep it positive and address the situation honestly and succinctly during interviews if asked. Your numbers already tell the story that you got your act together, so make sure to focus on that aspect when the time comes. Talk about what you've learned, and why you'll be a good doc.

This all comes from someone who's been there. I think a lot of the DO schools are pretty forgiving if you can show that you're capable of handling the rigors of school now.

MC

If you really think that this would hinder you, why not address it in your personal statement and talk about how you've improved and grew as an individual. It's impossible to be perfect, even as a doctor. That's why we have malpractice :p

Hi guys.

I have a 3.57 gpa, I am a graduating senior, in biology major. I have been studying for the mcat for 2 month, diagnostics does not look good. I got :

first diagnostic MCAT score :19
second diagnostic (1 month later) : 22

I have till april to boost the scores up, but I am becoming very pessimistic.

Other than academics, my extra curricular activities includes:
-Part time jobs 3yrs
-volunteering at PT clinic: 1/2 years
-volunteering at hostpital : 1 summer
-research: 2yrs
-shadowing: 1 family doctor (DO) 1 GI surgeon
-TA in chemistry
-Tutor to disadvantaged student at a community after school program
-Member of an honors fraternity; part of the service committee ( did a lot of volunteering through the fraternity as well)

Goals: Ideally I will have a 3.64 by the time I graduate, and apply. Schools that I am looking at right now are NOVA and Lecom-Bradenton

I am considering applying to both MD and DO (depending on the MCAT of course). What do you guys think.

Any advice through is process would be great. Thanks.

Hi guys.

I have a 3.57 gpa, I am a graduating senior, in biology major. I have been studying for the mcat for 2 month, diagnostics does not look good. I got :

-Part time jobs 3yrs
-TA in chemistry
-Member of an honors fraternity; part of the service committee ( did a lot of volunteering through the fraternity as well)

Goals: Ideally I will have a 3.64 by the time I graduate, and apply. Schools that I am looking at right now are NOVA and Lecom-Bradenton

I am considering applying to both MD and DO (depending on the MCAT of course). What do you guys think.

Get your MCAT up and you should be fine. Shoot for 26+. Look on the MCAT forum for tips and go over all of what you are missing. Practice, practice, practice! Good luck and apply early.

Ok, so this is a bit embarrassing, yet hopeful for some people out there .. maybe..

I am new and here to post giving you some of my interesting past experiences and detailed info about my journey to becoming a doctor. So here goes:

I have a 3.1 GPA overall. My sGPA is 2.99 for AACOMAS..
MCAT 28Q (9,9,10)
I have a D in my undergrad and many Cs
I majored in engineering
I shadowed an amazing doctor who took awhile to write my letter (about 7 months because of many circumstances) I am persistent

I have 5 LORs total
I've applied to 13 schools in which most of the secondaries were completed by Oct/Nov/Dec

I studied abroad for one year doing research.
I speak 3 languages
I worked in retail, engineering firms, biotech labs, tutored students, president, and vice of two social clubs during my undergrad.

I finished my primary app by SEPT 2009, and received 1 rejection from DES MOINE University instantly, while I got 12 secondaries to complete.

I have A LOT OF FAITH while waiting for my one and only DO letter to get to my premed adviser so all the schools can FINALLY REVIEW ME.

AND FINALLY, after all this waiting, my mentor sent in the D.O letter and all the schools received them on JAN 7, 2010....

I am soo late... I thought that the only thing that I have to keep me going was my faith and positivity...

Now that it's FEB 2010, I have thus far 4 interviews from:

LECOM-brad, LECOM-erie, ATSU-SOMA, and TOURONY (AZCOM pending)

while I am waiting for more invites...

SO for those of you that are losing hope, don't. Because with my kind of scores and timeliness... I got this far.. stay positive.

I am crossing my fingers for class of 2014. Wish me luck guys =D

I just applied to RVUCOM, AZCOM, and CCOM

My g.p.a is 3.91 sc and 3.88 everything else. My degree is in nursing with chemistry

My problem is I have a very low MCAT score because I was just moving to a new job and studying other various information I needed to make it in the ICU.

22O - MCAT

What do you think my chances are to these schools

I also have very good letters of recommendation from DO's and MD's that are ICU directors.

If you really think that this would hinder you, why not address it in your personal statement and talk about how you've improved and grew as an individual. It's impossible to be perfect, even as a doctor. That's why we have malpractice :p

I completely agree with this. I failed out of med school once before and devoted my ENTIRE personal statement to my issues and their resolution. I think this is the way to go!

Ok, so this is a bit embarrassing, yet hopeful for some people out there .. maybe..

I am new and here to post giving you some of my interesting past experiences and detailed info about my journey to becoming a doctor. So here goes:

I have a 3.1 GPA overall. My sGPA is 2.99 for AACOMAS..
MCAT 28Q (9,9,10)
I have a D in my undergrad and many Cs
I majored in engineering
I shadowed an amazing doctor who took awhile to write my letter (about 7 months because of many circumstances) I am persistent

I have 5 LORs total
I've applied to 13 schools in which most of the secondaries were completed by Oct/Nov/Dec

I studied abroad for one year doing research.
I speak 3 languages
I worked in retail, engineering firms, biotech labs, tutored students, president, and vice of two social clubs during my undergrad.

I finished my primary app by SEPT 2009, and received 1 rejection from DES MOINE University instantly, while I got 12 secondaries to complete.

I have A LOT OF FAITH while waiting for my one and only DO letter to get to my premed adviser so all the schools can FINALLY REVIEW ME.

AND FINALLY, after all this waiting, my mentor sent in the D.O letter and all the schools received them on JAN 7, 2010....

I am soo late... I thought that the only thing that I have to keep me going was my faith and positivity...

Now that it's FEB 2010, I have thus far 4 interviews from:

LECOM-brad, LECOM-erie, ATSU-SOMA, and TOURONY (AZCOM pending)

while I am waiting for more invites...

SO for those of you that are losing hope, don't. Because with my kind of scores and timeliness... I got this far.. stay positive.

I am crossing my fingers for class of 2014. Wish me luck guys =D

Just be yourself at Erie. They are really cool. ATSU soma is pretty crappy. Azcom is really cool, but they arnt the easiet to get in to. Touro Ny.....they had me come interview, only to waitlist me because of my numbers. I would say Erie is your best bet, and if they are interviewing you, they must be interested :)

Hey guys, I just want to see your inputs on which DO schools do I have the best chances at and how do I stand as of right now. I plan on applying August or September of 2010.

~Stats~
Overall GPA: 3.487
Science GPA: 3.288
MCAT: Taking in July 2010

Research: 160 hrs of research on organisms of the synthesis of rRNA and how it is exquisitely regulated with respect to the physiological state of the cell.
Shadowing: Shadowing a DO and should have 64 hrs by the end of this semester. I also plan to get a LOR from him.
Volunteer: About 100 hrs volunteering at a hospital.
Community service: a number of undocumented hours with service clubs like HOSA, Helping Hands, etc.
Other: Residential Senator for Student Government Association, HOSA member, NHS, Helping Hands, Asian Student Association,etc.
Overall GPA Trends (gpa for each semester): Freshman yr: 3.9, Soph yr: 2.988, Junior yr: 3.6

The current schools on my mind are NYCOM, TOURO NY, TCOM, PCOM

Whats the lowest that I can get on my MCAT in order for me to still stay competitive?

Hey guys, I just want to see your inputs on which DO schools do I have the best chances at and how do I stand as of right now. I plan on applying August or September of 2010.

~Stats~
Overall GPA: 3.487
Science GPA: 3.288
MCAT: Taking in July 2010

Research: 160 hrs of research on organisms of the synthesis of rRNA and how it is exquisitely regulated with respect to the physiological state of the cell.
Shadowing: Shadowing a DO and should have 64 hrs by the end of this semester. I also plan to get a LOR from him.
Volunteer: About 100 hrs volunteering at a hospital.
Community service: a number of undocumented hours with service clubs like HOSA, Helping Hands, etc.
Other: Residential Senator for Student Government Association, HOSA member, NHS, Helping Hands, Asian Student Association,etc.
Overall GPA Trends (gpa for each semester): Freshman yr: 3.9, Soph yr: 2.988, Junior yr: 3.6

The current schools on my mind are NYCOM, TOURO NY, TCOM, PCOM

Whats the lowest that I can get on my MCAT in order for me to still stay competitive?

Just focus on doing as well as you can on the MCAT. I would take it sooner if I was you so your application could be complete a lot sooner.

Hello all.
I'm planning on taking the mcat in April or May and have a gpa ~3. My question is at this point in the game, prior to applying in June, how much volunteering and ec's should be done prior to applying? My ec's currently include 3+ years working at an outpatient pt clinic with 400+ hours of work most of which involve patient contact. My biggest hole in my app is volunteer work and research. Because I am studying for the mcat and desperately need a good score, should I ignore the ec's for now and concentrate on mcats. I was thinking of spending all of my time with mcat and stacking up on ec's once I finish. My ec's would include d.o. Shadowing as well. I am also taking orgo2 this semester. Thank you in advance

It looks better to have a history of volunteer work, not a month of it right before you apply.

Hello all.
I'm planning on taking the mcat in April or May and have a gpa ~3. My question is at this point in the game, prior to applying in June, how much volunteering and ec's should be done prior to applying? My ec's currently include 3+ years working at an outpatient pt clinic with 400+ hours of work most of which involve patient contact. My biggest hole in my app is volunteer work and research. Because I am studying for the mcat and desperately need a good score, should I ignore the ec's for now and concentrate on mcats. I was thinking of spending all of my time with mcat and stacking up on ec's once I finish. My ec's would include d.o. Shadowing as well. I am also taking orgo2 this semester. Thank you in advance

MCAT is very important part of your application. Since you have good amount of clinical experience I guess you don't have to worry too much about it. But I think it is wise to volunteer or have some kind of EC (maybe non-clinical type) while you study MCAT. Try to find EC's that does not consume too much of your study time. So, spend your majority of your time on studying MCAT to make sure you score well, but do not totally ignore the volunteer etc. It's all up to you.

i am planning on doing a few things that won't require too much time that involves teaching kids. this along with either d.o. shadowing and/or some volunteer work in a lab may be the extent of my ec's until my mcats are over. hopefully i'll have all summer to actively volunteer without the need to study for the mcat again and update my applications accordingly. a strong mcat will hopefully makeup for some of the holes in my application.

Hi guys.

-Part time jobs 3yrs
-TA in chemistry

Everything looks competitive except your MCAT. I got a 21 my first time around and didn't get accepted/interviewed neither did any of my friends who got the same score MD or DO. I took a year off, did research and took a prep-course which raised me to a 26 and have gotten accepted to DO schools and interview at MD. I do have friends who got in with a 21 at a DO school, but that is the limited reagent in your equation. It was also my problem, and though you don't have time to do a whole course I would recommend you pick up some books on the MCAT. I had a KAPLAN book from Barnes and Noble which was terrible, and a Princeton Review Book Series which were excellent from someone who took the course. These are very indepth, especially in the sciences. I took a Exam Krackers course, which I really liked. The books more teach you HOW to take the test and HOW to think about it, which was my problem. They have an excellent strategy for the Verbal section. They aren't long books compared to Princton, so I would suggest picking one up and looking through them. Then just relax and don't worry about your practice tests, you will score higher the real time. I was averaging 23ish on them and got a 26. Best of luck.

SGPA : 3.07
CGPA : 3.17
even after some retakes

Medicore LORs, ECs, and etc.

I'm still looking for a DO to shadow and then ask for a LOR, and I'll be taking my first MCAT in May.

I will repeat 2 more science coures in this summer after the MCAT unless I won't have time for that, and SGPA's going to be 3.3 if I ace them.

I found threads about structured postbacs attachted to some DO schools, which provide almost guaranteed spot to those who do well in their programs.

I know that it's hard to say anything without the MCAT score, but is it good idea to apply both DO schools and postbac attached to DO schools with my stats ?

Can I actually do that ?

Hopefully, I might be able to score 30+ on MCAT and/or improve GPA in summer, and get in.

But, isn't it actually better, to start one of those programs in next fall, than nothing if I will have to reapply for 2012 ?

SGPA : 3.07
CGPA : 3.17
even after some retakes

Medicore LORs, ECs, and etc.

I'm still looking for a DO to shadow and then ask for a LOR, and I'll be taking my first MCAT in May.

I will repeat 2 more science coures in this summer after the MCAT unless I won't have time for that, and SGPA's going to be 3.3 if I ace them.

I found threads about structured postbacs attachted to some DO schools, which provide almost guaranteed spot to those who do well in their programs.
I know that it's hard to say anything without the MCAT score, but is it good idea to apply both DO schools and postbac attached to DO schools with my stats ?

Can I actually do that ?

Hopefully, I might be able to score 30+ on MCAT and/or improve GPA in summer, and get in.

But, isn't it actually better, to start one of those programs in next fall, than nothing if I will have to reapply for 2012 ?

Try and get a 26+ score and you'll be fine, if not Nova has one of those guaranteed admission Master's program. You sit in first year classes and maintain an 80+ in all classes to the guaranteed slot. Whatever courses you get a 90+ in are waived the following year. But anything in the 70s, its no longer a guarantee.

Hey guys, I'm at a slight dilemma. I always hear about how I should apply early and by all means I plan on applying the day it opens and such. However, my gpa sucks. I have a measly 3.35 gpa (science/non science..all kinda the same), I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I'm in the process of studying for it.

So I wanted to retake 6 courses which I know I could get easy A's in now which I calculated would boost my gpa up to a 3.6.

So would you guys recommend retaking the courses and then applying? or should I apply early and not retake the courses?

The other alternative (which I don't know if this works) is to apply early, take the courses simultaneously and hopefully see if I could change it or incorporate it later)

BTW, if it matters, I want to go to Western badly. Their stats are below:
Last year the stats were the following:
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.52
Non-Science GPA: 3.61
Average MCAT: 28

Thanks

Try and get a 26+ score and you'll be fine, if not Nova has one of those guaranteed admission Master's program. You sit in first year classes and maintain an 80+ in all classes to the guaranteed slot. Whatever courses you get a 90+ in are waived the following year. But anything in the 70s, its no longer a guarantee.

Thank you for a reply. Is it actually that 26+'d make me fine even when I'll have to apply with my current GPA ?

Thank you for a reply. Is it actually that 26+'d make me fine even when I'll have to apply with my current GPA ?

Yeah, you really need to shoot for a 26+ MCAT and I would really try to retake those science classes over the summer to bump up your sgpa to 3.3. Apply early! Good luck!

probably not the right forum...

but I am in a very similar situation and would also like to know what I should do.

Hi, I would like to know my chances:

Science GPA: 2.95 (Will be 3.2 -3.3 after summer:xf:)

Non-science GPA: 3.41 (Will stay the same)

MCAT:22 (Studying for a better grade, around 30)

Volunteer: 200+ hours in a hospital
Student group in college

Job: Work with developmentally disabled individuals (6+ years/30 hrs a week)

LOR: 2 - Sci. prof
1 - D.O.
1 - From Work (an RN)

2 Deans lists
1 scholarship award

Thanks in advance!