2009 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks! That's about how I've felt today! (and I have gotten so little done at work, it's not even funny!)

You know what's wierd? If someone had asked me this morning "How are things going with your applications?" I would have said "Awful!" and now, I think I'd say "Great! I have one interview and hopefully more to come!" Amazing that I now feel more optimistic about the rest of my apps, even though nothing has changed with them. I guess needed that confidence booster!
AWESOME!! :highfive:
Thanks! Cute smiley too!! (They keep adding new ones - I can't keep up!)

I think they sent out just a handful of outright rejections on the same day. I say this because I was one of the lucky ones. I'm glad they didn't string me along any longer.

Ugh. Sorry to hear it. :( Although I hear ya - I think I'm just being strung along there. They get so many apps that it's hard for me to imagine mine being particularly competitive in that pool. (Wait, wasn't I just saying that I'm more optimistic about my other apps? Maybe it's more like "less desperate" :D)

Members don't see this ad.

Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!

Mizzou - my state school and my first one!!! (um, obviously!) I feel as though I have FINALLY crossed an invisible barrier. (Whew!)

Yippee! :banana:

YEAH BABY!!!!

I am so happy to hear that you got your first one. Kinda takes a load off your mind, doesn't it? :)

Good luck with that interview!:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!

Mizzou - my state school and my first one!!! (um, obviously!) I feel as though I have FINALLY crossed an invisible barrier. (Whew!)

Yippee! :banana:

Congrats!!! :woot:

I'm a non-trad at Mizzou. If you have any questions about the school or the process I'd be happy to answer them. Shoot me a PM. Depending on what day you interview I might be your tour guide :) :thumbup:

Regardless, congrats and good luck! :luck:

Congrats!!! :woot:

I'm a non-trad at Mizzou. If you have any questions about the school or the process I'd be happy to answer them. Shoot me a PM. Depending on what day you interview I might be your tour guide :) :thumbup:

Regardless, congrats and good luck! :luck:
Here's what YOU can do: join us for dinner. She's staying at my place the night before the interview. :D

(PS Don't we have exams we should be studying for?)

(PSS No, you're not giving the tour that day. I already checked. :D)

Wow! Thanks everyone for the outpouring of support! It's really touching. :oops: I love the non-trads :love: :D.

student1799 - Yes, it does take a load off! Mine's the week after your two, so we'll be sitting on pins and needles together in 2009, waiting for acceptances! :scared: :xf:

We'll plan something fun for ya, CD! Congrats on the interview!

Captain and Ping - you're making me nostalgic! It's like the 2008 progress thread all over again! Thanks for the well-wishes and plans! I'm really pumped to visit, check things out, hang with you two, and get the inside scoop on Mizzou! Captain - sorry I'll miss out on your tour. Bummer!

Oh, and given your ridiculously early posting times, I see what Ping meant when she told me her first inclination at this time of year was to tell me to run! :laugh: Good luck with your exams! :luck:

Holy %@&*! :wow: I just got another interview! Louisville - my husband's home town!

This is easily turning out to be the best week of this year! :D

Holy %@&*! :wow: I just got another interview! Louisville - my husband's home town!

This is easily turning out to be the best week of this year! :D

Well, who's on a roll now! :cool:

You'd better not get ahead of me though, or I'll get a complex ...

Second rejection: Cornell. (BIG surprise--not.)

I must be getting blasé , because this one didn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
Just interviewed at DMU (DO) yesterday. Went GREAT. Had a very positive vibe going on there. The whole day was a success up until I broke my foot. Yup. Beautiful shoes & cuffed pants don't work so well. Somehow caught the R heel in the L pant cuff coming down the steps (last step) and wrenched the L foot, tore the pant leg...hurt like hell, couldn't weight-bear for several minutes, gradually got better. I hobbled on it (without the gorgeous shoes) the rest of the interview day. Heck of a way to make an impression--I was a bit mortified. As the day went on it became clearly worse than a sprain, and after a day of limping through airports I'm pretty sure it's broken. Will have to get it xrayed tomorrow and see what the damage really is.
But I'm hoping to hear soon from DMU. The whole day (foot aside) was just sweet.

Just interviewed at DMU (DO) yesterday. Went GREAT. Had a very positive vibe going on there. The whole day was a success up until I broke my foot. Yup. Beautiful shoes & cuffed pants don't work so well. Somehow caught the R heel in the L pant cuff coming down the steps (last step) and wrenched the L foot, tore the pant leg...hurt like hell, couldn't weight-bear for several minutes, gradually got better. I hobbled on it (without the gorgeous shoes) the rest of the interview day. Heck of a way to make an impression--I was a bit mortified. As the day went on it became clearly worse than a sprain, and after a day of limping through airports I'm pretty sure it's broken. Will have to get it xrayed tomorrow and see what the damage really is.
But I'm hoping to hear soon from DMU. The whole day (foot aside) was just sweet.

Get a copy of your xray as an image, include it in your thankyou notes for your interviewers and to the director of admissions, and say "THIS is how badly I want to attend DMU."

Edit: oh yeah, and I'm sorry you hurt your foot! I am SUCH a scheming gunner premed. I wonder if that ever stops.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not a bad idea AT ALL. You are brilliant.
EMEDPA told me I should change my screen name as soon as I get in to primaDOnna. I like it. :p

Get a copy of your xray as an image, include it in your thankyou notes for your interviewers and to the director of admissions, and say "THIS is how badly I want to attend DMU."

Edit: oh yeah, and I'm sorry you hurt your foot! I am SUCH a scheming gunner premed. I wonder if that ever stops.

Well, who's on a roll now! :cool:

You'd better not get ahead of me though, or I'll get a complex ...

LOL! I think you're safe. But let's just make a rule right now - if I get another, you have to as well and vice versa. Got it? ;):D

Eeek! :eek: What a story! I know exactly what you mean with the heels/cuffed pants, though. I have a pair of gorgeous wide leg cuffed pants (too long w/o heels) that I almost never wear because I've nearly face-planted in them a couple of times. Thankfully each time I had something to grab onto and I wasn't on stairs. Ouch! Hope you heal up soon (AND get in to DMU!). :luck:

Ha, well, we'll see. Good news: the foot is NOT fractured...just a very, very bad sprain. Funny, since I looked at the xray yesterday and saw nothing broken it feels a little bit better. Also I've hardly walked on it--that probably helps too. Thanks for the good wishes all!

I think you should do PrimADOnna. Better yet PrimA_DOnna

Ok, so I got my rockin' fall grades! Time to update my schools . . . but how do I go about doing this?? Anyone done this yet (or anyone from past years?)

Do I
1) request that my univ. send one transcipt to each of my schools (and perhaps send each school an "update/look for my transcript" e-mail)?
2) request signed/sealed transcripts from my school and mail them out myself w/a letter?
3) call each school and ask what to do?

#3 is probably what I need to do (but #1 would be the easiest/least time consuming) . . . I have 1.5 days before I go out of town for a week and a crapload to do before then (particularly as my mother lives in the stone age and has no internet at home) :eek::eek: . . . *sigh* This time of year is just crazypants!

i think i am going to send a transcript to AMCAS or AACOMAS if applicable and send an email to every school. honesty is assumed here and you can tell them that youve sent an official one but you just wanted them to have the update faster.

just say: id like to update blah blah blah

list courses and grades

"i have also sent the official ones to app service etc

"thank you for your kind consideration etc.

im in the same boat i got a 4.0 this semester in all senior level science courses bringing my post bacc to 42 hours at 3.93.

Ok, so I got my rockin' fall grades! Time to update my schools . . . but how do I go about doing this?? Anyone done this yet (or anyone from past years?)

Do I
1) request that my univ. send one transcipt to each of my schools (and perhaps send each school an "update/look for my transcript" e-mail)?
2) request signed/sealed transcripts from my school and mail them out myself w/a letter?
3) call each school and ask what to do?

#3 is probably what I need to do (but #1 would be the easiest/least time consuming) . . . I have 1.5 days before I go out of town for a week and a crapload to do before then (particularly as my mother lives in the stone age and has no internet at home) :eek::eek: . . . *sigh* This time of year is just crazypants!

#1 is the way to go, definitely.

#2 is a no-no. Mailing transcripts, LORs, etc. yourself--even in sealed envelopes--is a waste of time, because schools won't accept anything as a legit copy unless it comes DIRECTLY from the place that issued it.

#3: If you call to ask what to do, they'll probably tell you what I just told you.

Save your time and just order the transcripts--if your school belongs to an online service like Student Clearinghouse (www.studentclearinghouse.org) it can be surprisingly fast. But make sure you email also, so the schools will know you've sent them new grades.

Holy cow have I missed a lot by being away from SDN. You guys totally rock, total domination!!!

As for me it's been a crazy couple of months - I got laid off a while ago, but I think it's a blessing because I'm going to spend my time before med school doing things I enjoy. I'm doing a lot of tutoring (oh orgo, how I missed thee!) and I make bridal jewelry, so I'm having fun devoting more time to that.

I have been to busy to think to much about the app process, which is probably a good thing since it's slowed down so much, but I did get an acceptance at Jefferson (yay!), an oos waitlist at UVM (sad), and an interview invite from Harvard (which is v nice for the ego, but having worked there I'm pretty ambivalent about the school). Still! waiting to hear from Uw about an interview, slowed school ever.

Anyway, i'm so happy for everyone, you guys such fantastic people, I missed you. :) Happy holidays, 2009 is going to be the best year.

Ps. Don't laugh too hard at my typing, I'm on a phone and not exactly skilled with the typing yet :p

#1 is the way to go, definitely.

#2 is a no-no. Mailing transcripts, LORs, etc. yourself--even in sealed envelopes--is a waste of time, because schools won't accept anything as a legit copy unless it comes DIRECTLY from the place that issued it.

#3: If you call to ask what to do, they'll probably tell you what I just told you.

Thanks a bundle! The more I thought about it, the more I came to the same conclusion (yay!). The only thing I worried about with #1 is the school pitching my transcript if it arrived out of the blue . . . but the e-mail should solve that problem. Need to send those tonight!!! (ack!) :scared:

The issue with #2 just reminds me how different (and more rigid) this whole process is than applying to grad schools was. I definitely recall getting a stack of signed, sealed transcripts from my registrar's office and mailing them all out myself . . . for the original application! *sigh* Unlike DrM, I'm a little too laidback for all of this "gunner" stuff, so most of the scheming things someone could do (like forge a transcript) just don't occur to me! :rolleyes:

i think i am going to send a transcript to AMCAS or AACOMAS if applicable and send an email to every school..

Hmmm . . . I had wondered about sending to AMCAS. I think I'll do that in addition to having one sent to each school. Thankfully it's free from my institution, so I might as well . . . except that they won't accept/can't process more than 10 transcript requests in a day, so I'll need to do these in batches! :eek:

im in the same boat i got a 4.0 this semester in all senior level science courses bringing my post bacc to 42 hours at 3.93.

Wow. If we're in the same boat, then you're in first class, and I'm in steerage. This semester will take my sGPA (almost all post-bacc) to a whopping 3.48! Woohoo! :rolleyes: Why oh why did I slack in orgo and physics? (no good excuse for orgo, but I really wish "because I HATE physics" was an acceptable answer for the latter! :laugh:)

Holy cow have I missed a lot by being away from SDN. You guys totally rock, total domination!!!

As for me it's been a crazy couple of months - I got laid off a while ago, but I think it's a blessing because I'm going to spend my time before med school doing things I enjoy. I'm doing a lot of tutoring (oh orgo, how I missed thee!) and I make bridal jewelry, so I'm having fun devoting more time to that.

I have been to busy to think to much about the app process, which is probably a good thing since it's slowed down so much, but I did get an acceptance at Jefferson (yay!), an oos waitlist at UVM (sad), and an interview invite from Harvard (which is v nice for the ego, but having worked there I'm pretty ambivalent about the school). Still! waiting to hear from Uw about an interview, slowed school ever.

Anyway, i'm so happy for everyone, you guys such fantastic people, I missed you. :) Happy holidays, 2009 is going to be the best year.

I was wondering where you'd gone! Welcome back and CONGRATS on the Jeff acceptance!! :horns: and HARVARD interview!!! :wow: Ambivalent or not, that's quite an honor! And don't get too sad about the UVM waitlist - I've heard that it's pretty much standard policy for them to put OOS folks on the waitlist and give OOS acceptances much later in the cycle. :luck:

Sorry to hear about the job, but it sounds like you're involved in some other really great endeavors - how cool! I need the money, but I'd secretly love to give up my job right now and be able to enjoy the rest of the time until (hopefully) I start school somewhere. I have a million and one projects I'd like to get done before med school . . . and I've never really had any non-work/non-school "me" time . . . sounds rather nice!

... I did get an acceptance at Jefferson (yay!) ...

Let me add my congratulations:

YOU MADE IT!! WAY TO GO!!:claps:

From here on in it'll be water off a duck's back.

Happy holidays, 2009 is going to be the best year.

Same to you and everyone else here--and I hope you're right.:xf:

It seems that the further a school is from NYC, the more they like me. :)

As many of you may already know, there was a technical glitch on SDN last Friday night (the 19th) that caused some posts to disappear. Apparently, there was some sort of repair running on the site between about 4 and 6:30 pm that night, and any new posts made during that time disappeared afterwards. Threads that weren't updated during that time were not affected.

This thread was one that lost a couple of posts--I seem to remember breeak and nontradfogie posting right after me, but you can't see those posts now.:( But I thought I'd bump the thread so we can get it going again.

Waitlisted by NEOUCOM. Not surprised considering they interview several hundred applicants for only 20-35 direct entry MD spots.

Hey non-trads! Woohoo - I am back to the land of the living! (as opposed to my mom's land of no internet :eek:, where I've been for the past week). Actually, it was pretty nice not to think about this whole process for a week. However, I made the mistake of getting really excited to check my e-mail . . . only to find no news whatsoever. Eh - not surprising, but a mini letdown nonetheless.

Looks like others took some time off as well - hope the holidays have been treating everyone well!

It seems that the further a school is from NYC, the more they like me. :)

Congrats!! :highfive: That's great news! (except for the whole far away from NYC part :thumbdown:)

Oh, and seeing as how we have our little agreement to stay neck and neck in this process, this must mean my 3rd interview is imminent, right?! ;):laugh:

Ready for your interviews next week?! :scared::luck:

Waitlisted by NEOUCOM. Not surprised considering they interview several hundred applicants for only 20-35 direct entry MD spots.

Pffft, silly NEOUCOM! I still have my fingers crossed for you. :xf:

Hey non-trads! Woohoo - I am back to the land of the living! (as opposed to my mom's land of no internet :eek:, where I've been for the past week). Actually, it was pretty nice not to think about this whole process for a week. However, I made the mistake of getting really excited to check my e-mail . . . only to find no news whatsoever. Eh - not surprising, but a mini letdown nonetheless.

Ugh, I'm familiar with that phenomenon. I think I'm operating under the assumption that a watched pot never boils...but apparently an ignored one doesn't either. :p In any case, welcome back, and I bet news will start picking up again next week or the week after.

Speaking of which, is anyone else astounded that it's almost 2009 already?! I'm ready to see the back-end of 2008 though, fo sho'. I was just talking with a friend, and we decided that we feel like we've been leg-humped by 2008, and hope to have a calmer, more obedient 2009 (we watch too much 'It's Me Or The Dog'). :D

Congrats!! :highfive: That's great news! (except for the whole far away from NYC part :thumbdown:)

I already congratulated student on this, but it was in one of the lost posts...I said her reputation preceeds her. ;)

Good luck next week girlie! :luck:

Got my 3rd, 4th, and 5th interview invites in the last 2 weeks -- Albert Einstein, Albany, and NYMC. I really don't know why I'm getting all this NY love? I'm interviewing kind of late too, but I guess better late than never.

Well time for one of my mini-milestone progress reports. Nearly FIVE MONTHS after I submitted my transcripts to the registrar's international unit (I am applying in Canada and did my undergrad and grad school in the US) my grades are finally up!

They got to pick which courses to use for my pre-reqs and they were neither as helpful nor as hateful as they could have been. So the GPA I'm working with turns out to be a 3.54 - my range from pessimistic to optimistic was a 3.4 to a 3.6. However, now that I see exactly how they picked the courses, I could probably raise my pre-req GPA for them to about 3.9 by taking 3 upper-level courses (probably modern physics, physical chemistry and some upper-division biochemistry elective). So if I don't get in this year, I'll do that Fall 2009 and reapply - I think the timing will work out.

It feels really good not to be hanging on the transcripts any more. Of course, they also want an AP score report from 14 years ago and that hasn't shown up yet... So I could still be tossed out on a technicality. You Americans are lucky to have the unified AMCAS system, I tell you.

Got my 3rd, 4th, and 5th interview invites in the last 2 weeks -- Albert Einstein, Albany, and NYMC. I really don't know why I'm getting all this NY love? I'm interviewing kind of late too, but I guess better late than never.

Wow, can we switch places? I have 3 interviews (Upstate, UVM and EVMS), but no NYC-area love, and I'd KILL for some. Congrats in any case, and I don't think you're interviewing late, because I think all these places have fairly long interview seasons. (I've heard consistently that NYMC interviews through April, and for real places in the class rather than waitlist spots.)

Here's my own progress report: Just got back from my first 2 interviews (Upstate and UVM). Air-travel-wise, the trip was HORRIBLE (I hate you, USAir), but otherwise I think it went fairly well. I had 2 interviewers at Upstate: one was fairly stiff and asked formulaic questions, while the other seemed friendly but kind of quiet and shy. I did my best to come across well, but it's hard to tell exactly how I did. UVM, on the other hand, felt GREAT. The school is amazing and everyone there was incredibly nice and kind, even my interviewer, who had spent a lot of time reading my app and really seemed interested in me as a person. We talked for an hour and a half, and it really felt like we had a good rapport. Cross your fingers for me at both places, but especially UVM, because I'd give my eye teeth to go there!

While marooned at the Philly airport during one of my many flight delays, I got the famous "MAY" message from VCU, which--according to the sages over at the pre-allo forum--means I'm in the second-highest priority group for getting an interview (and the highest one that OOS students can be in). I wonder why I'm playing so well in VA, and bombing in NY ...

On to EVMS next week.

Way to go Calimed! That's a lot of love, good luck on your interviews. :)

Sindadel, your process sounds nightmarish, hang in there. I grew up in BC, and would kill to go to UBC, but don't have residency, so it's a no go. I guess I'll look at the bright side that I only have to deal with AMCAS, I don't think I could handle both. :p

Wow, can we switch places? I have 3 interviews (Upstate, UVM and EVMS), but no NYC-area love, and I'd KILL for some.

Yeah, I've gotten 5 interviews so far -- 4 in NY and only 1 school in CA.. and I would kill to stay in-state if possible. I'm really not sure why New York has responded to me so favorably. It's been almost 15 years since I visited the state last. I guess I'll be making up for it with frequent coast-to-coast interview visits in the upcoming months. :p

And congrats on your interviews student1799. Although they're not in your preferred state, it's still a great accomplishment! I've been following your progress this cycle and have been rooting for you. :thumbup: I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you :xf:, and will be sending you good thoughts for your EVMS interview!

Way to go Calimed! That's a lot of love, good luck on your interviews. :)

Thanks, breeak. My first interview is this coming monday at my TOP choice (UC Irvine). I'm a little scared to state the least. Hopefully I won't die of nervousness before the big day. And congrats on your success thus far. It's been extremely impressive. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I've gotten 5 interviews so far -- 4 in NY and only 1 school in CA.. and I would kill to stay in-state if possible. I'm really not sure why New York has responded to me so favorably. It's been almost 15 years since I visited the state last. I guess I'll be making up for it with frequent coast-to-coast interview visits in the upcoming months. :p

And congrats on your interviews student1799. Although they're not in your preferred state, it's still a great accomplishment! I've been following your progress this cycle and have been rooting for you. :thumbup: I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you :xf:, and will be sending you good thoughts for your EVMS interview!

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck on all those interviews, especially UCI. :luck::luck:

Here's hoping for some hometown love for all those who need it. :love:

Thanks breeak! It is maddening to be waiting for such tiny signs of encouragement while everyone else is flying around interviewing. Although it is nice to see that SOME non-trads will be going to medical school next year.

If Canada won't have me, we may well move to the US and apply - I am married to a US citizen, so I can get a green card fairly easily. But that would take a couple more years and cost a lot of money, so Canada is first on my list.

More love from afar: interview invite at Rosalind Franklin. This one smashes the previous distance barrier, since it's a cool 800 miles away.

Still no NYC-area love, but I sent out a batch of updates today to see if it will help.

P.S. CultureDoc, I'm waiting: it's time for you to catch up. I bet you'll be getting more invites soon ...

More love from afar: interview invite at Rosalind Franklin. This one smashes the previous distance barrier, since it's a cool 800 miles away.

Still no NYC-area love, but I sent out a batch of updates today to see if it will help.

P.S. CultureDoc, I'm waiting: it's time for you to catch up. I bet you'll be getting more invites soon ...

Congrats on RF Student! :highfive:

< pity party >
My status of late sucks. :( I'm now waitlisted at UVM and deferred at BU, rejected from UW today, and had a crappy Harvard interview (hello, my research was 10 years ago, did we really need to spend 75% of the interview on it? Did you not figure out pretty quickly that my vague answers and attempts to steer the conversation elsewhere meant you were digging in salted ground? No, apparently not, let's just keep talking awkwardly and wasting time.) Apparently my interview skillz suck.
< /pity party >

I'm working on various LOI though, and have some good updates, so I'll just keep myself busy with that.

Congrats on RF Student! :highfive:

< pity party >
My status of late sucks. :( I'm now waitlisted at UVM and deferred at BU, rejected from UW today, and had a crappy Harvard interview (hello, my research was 10 years ago, did we really need to spend 75% of the interview on it? Did you not figure out pretty quickly that my vague answers and attempts to steer the conversation elsewhere meant you were digging in salted ground? No, apparently not, let's just keep talking awkwardly and wasting time.) Apparently my interview skillz suck.
< /pity party >

I'm working on various LOI though, and have some good updates, so I'll just keep myself busy with that.

I know it seems strange, but I feel like celebrating and crying at the same time, because while I've been getting all this out-of-town love, my chances in NYC have been steadily dwindling away. The day after the RF invite, I got a rejection letter from Einstein, which makes 3 rejections out of the 5 NYC schools I applied to. (And it really ought to be 4, because NYU gave me the dreaded "final decision pending" kiss of death in late October.) I don't even know whether I'm actually still alive at my last NYC school, Sinai, because I gather from the pre-allo rejection thread that rejectees have only learned their status by calling and asking about it--which I'm not brave enough to do myself. And I haven't heard squat from any of the commutable schools in nearby suburbs.

The Einstein letter made me especially upset, because I can tell the day of reckoning is at hand for my hometown prospects. It's starting to sink in that if I do get in somewhere (which looks statistically likely), it's almost certainly going to mean leaving my family behind. That's something that's REALLY hard to think about.

But thanks for the colorful congrats (love that:highfive:smiley!), and I'm doing my best to see the bright side.

As for you, there's still UMass, right? And you may get into UVM yet--don't despair.:luck:

Hey nontrads! I am checking in after a couple of crazy busy weeks! Work has been seriously swamped recently and doesn't look like it's letting up anytime soon :scared:, so my previous habit of checking SDN at work has been seriously curtailed!

In other news, I had my interview day at Mizzou, which went SO well! It's funny because I was really not happy to have the afternoon and not the morning interviews, but as it worked out, I was SO nervous in the morning and calmed down immensely by the time the interviews rolled around. Whew! And I had such great interviewers, so it was really low-stress in the end. Also, I am completely sold on the place, the people, the curriculum, the whole works!! . . . oh, except the location! :rolleyes: And really, I'm fine with it because, as I'm told, I won't have time for anything other than school, anyway . . . but my husband will, and I'm afraid he'd be miserable there . . . and the two-hour commute to St. Louis, even if just once-a-week, is not my idea of a great solution. Le sigh. But, I know it could be worse (student - your potential "commutes" and time away from your family come to mind) and I know we would work it out if I get a shot at going there, so I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed!! :xf:

The scary thing is, my fate has already been sealed: the committee met tonight to "score" me, and that score won't go up for anything in the world, so everything is totally out of my hands there as of now. Eeek! :scared: They accept a handful of their top scorers 1x month, and then make the waitlist in March. I think I'll be lucky to get waitlisted, given my numbers . . . but I'm really hoping the interviews help me out a lot!

Cross your fingers for me at both places, but especially UVM, because I'd give my eye teeth to go there!

Hey student! I'm SO glad to hear your interviews went well (the UVM one sounded GREAT!) GOOD LUCK!!! :luck: Any idea when you'll hear back from these two? Also, how did EVMS go??

While marooned at the Philly airport during one of my many flight delays, I got the famous "MAY" message from VCU, which--according to the sages over at the pre-allo forum--means I'm in the second-highest priority group for getting an interview (and the highest one that OOS students can be in).

Hey, I got the "MAY" message that day as well! I'm really hoping that they decide to bring us in before they stop interviewing . . . it TOTALLY kills me that I didn't apply there sooner. Argh!

More love from afar: interview invite at Rosalind Franklin.

CONGRATS! Again, sucks that it's super far away, but it's great to have another opportunity. At least there are frequent flights between Chi-town and NYC . . .

Seriously!! I couldn't agree more! I'm really hoping e-mail updates and my updated transcript with my "A" in in A&P this past fall will spur some more invites . . . but if not, I feel very fortunate to have earned two this cycle (I just certainly hope one of those will lead to an acceptance!)

< pity party >
My status of late sucks. :( I'm now waitlisted at UVM and deferred at BU, rejected from UW today, and had a crappy Harvard interview < /pity party >

Ugh, sorry to hear it, breeak. :( *hugs*

That's a bummer of a week, for sure. I know you were crossing your fingers for UW. As for UVM - keep up the faith! I recall folks last year saying that they had talked to people there who told them not to fret about the waitlist - that tons of people (particularly OOSers) come off of it. And as for Harvard, who knows . . . maybe your interviewer decided to grill you on something so he could then say "well, I've got no qualms about her." Here's to hoping you are pleasantly surprised!

I know it seems strange, but I feel like celebrating and crying at the same time, because while I've been getting all this out-of-town love, my chances in NYC have been steadily dwindling away.

Aww . . . *more hugs* I totally hear you. I can't imagine having to leave your family (I despise the thought of my hubby alone being two hours away!) How about NYMC? I know that's one of "commutable" distance - have you talked to anyone there? They interview pretty late, so here's to hoping for some love from them!! :luck:

Ok, seriously time for bed now! G'night non-trads and lots of luck to all those out there interviewing and waiting for acceptances!! :sleep: :luck:

I know it seems strange, but I feel like celebrating and crying at the same time, because while I've been getting all this out-of-town love, my chances in NYC have been steadily dwindling away.

Hang in there student! Interview season is not over yet, keep that chin up! :) Just remember how far you've come and how much you have to be proud of!

Same here! I'm a CA applicant, but instead I'm getting NY interviews up the wazoo--Mount Sinai, NYMC, Albany, SUNY DS. And yet, I'm here with only one CA interview. How odd...

Same here! I'm a CA applicant, but instead I'm getting NY interviews up the wazoo--Mount Sinai, NYMC, Albany, SUNY DS. And yet, I'm here with only one CA interview. How odd...

ahh, what school in CA did you interview at, fizzle?

The Einstein letter made me especially upset, because I can tell the day of reckoning is at hand for my hometown prospects. It's starting to sink in that if I do get in somewhere (which looks statistically likely), it's almost certainly going to mean leaving my family behind. That's something that's REALLY hard to think about.

No, I completely understand. :( As the prospect of med school becomes more and more of a reality, the less I want to leave Boston, especially now that WA is out of the picture. Even Philly seems too far, which is affecting my excitement about having gotten into Jeff, despite it being a great school, great location etc. I have my fingers crossed for you with NYMC. And screw AECOM, seriously, that place is odd.

As for you, there's still UMass, right? And you may get into UVM yet--don't despair.:luck:

Yeah. I'm still technically in the running everywhere I've interviewed. I've perked up since throwing that mini-fit earlier this week. Sent out a bunch of LOI yesterday, mostly to give myself some illusion of control.

In other news, I had my interview day at Mizzou, which went SO well! It's funny because I was really not happy to have the afternoon and not the morning interviews, but as it worked out, I was SO nervous in the morning and calmed down immensely by the time the interviews rolled around. Whew! And I had such great interviewers, so it was really low-stress in the end. Also, I am completely sold on the place, the people, the curriculum, the whole works!! . . . oh, except the location! :rolleyes: And really, I'm fine with it because, as I'm told, I won't have time for anything other than school, anyway . . . but my husband will, and I'm afraid he'd be miserable there . . . and the two-hour commute to St. Louis, even if just once-a-week, is not my idea of a great solution. Le sigh. But, I know it could be worse (student - your potential "commutes" and time away from your family come to mind) and I know we would work it out if I get a shot at going there, so I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed!! :xf:

I'm so happy for you! A great interview day really feels like the best thing in the world, doesn't it? It sucks about your hubby sitch, but remember that he's a big boy and it's his choice to deal or not, you feeling guilty doesn't help anything. You guys will find a way to make it work, and it's only temporary. (I realize it sucks, and these are platitudes, but I hope they help a little anyway since they are fundamentally true.)

And as for Harvard, who knows . . . maybe your interviewer decided to grill you on something so he could then say "well, I've got no qualms about her." Here's to hoping you are pleasantly surprised!

LOL. Well, if that was his plan, it failed miserably. He was asking me about the statistical methods we used, why we chose them, which areas of the brain were implicated in this field of research, the current state of research in this field. Given that my research was done over 10 years ago, the vast majority of my answers were either "I don't know", "I don't remember", "Uhhhhhhh..." Oh well, it was a confidence blow, but that's it. At least I managed to smile and choke out a thank you at the end of it. :D

That is so odd. I have had zero luck outside of my region, you and Student should clearly trade. :)

In other news, I had my interview day at Mizzou, which went SO well!

That's great news--I really hope you get in!!:luck::luck::luck:

Any idea when you'll hear back from these two? Also, how did EVMS go??
Unfortunately, all three schools I've interviewed at so far (including EVMS) have a reputation for being kind of slow making decisions. The "official" time frame at these schools is supposedly about 3 weeks (although, in UVM's case, it will be more because the next adcom meeting isn't until Feb). However, I've seen many reports on SDN from interviewees who waited a lot longer, so I'm assuming it's going to be more like 6 weeks.

I think EVMS went really well. I had a panel of 3 interviewers (2 doctors and a student); of course we spent a lot of time discussing my highly unusual timing for going to med school, but we also talked about health care reform. However, I didn't get any of the thorny ethical questions they're famous for throwing at students. Overall, it seemed like a really friendly discussion; as I was leaving, one of the doctors (the one who had more or less run the interview) said "We're pulling for you." I know I can't read anything into that, but it felt good anyway.

At this point, though, UVM is still unchallenged as my top choice. I REALLY hope I get in there!

Rosalind Franklin is coming up soon--the 27th. Onward, forward, upward.

P.S. Rejected at Stony Brook, the day before I left for EVMS. That only leaves 2 schools in my commuting area, NYMC and Mount Sinai. I've sent LOIs and updates to both, but I'm not holding out much hope.l

ahh, what school in CA did you interview at, fizzle?

UC Davis. Fortunately, it's one of my top choices because it's one of the few med schools that's close enough for me to drive to from home :xf::luck::xf:

That is so odd. I have had zero luck outside of my region, you and Student should clearly trade. :)

It's like the med schools are secretly plotting to make us move far, far away :scared:

ok i need massive advice.. i am a senior in hs. i grad thir yr and have applied to a bunch of colleges.. i a\want to become a doctor. but have learned the debt is massssive. so i found another route to becoming one. going to community college for 3 yrs and becoming a nurse.. rn.. then working at a hospital that will pay for my 4 yr whilke i am still making good money about 5ok a yr. then beocme a np and so forth to an md... what to do cause i dont want to stay home.. but it is like 3 yrs.. but i dont know if its worth it.. plus like eeryone i know is going to a 4 yr its embarassing to go to community... im an AP honors student.. WHAAAT TOOO DOOOO... if u have any advice u can reply to this or im me at jessgor610 or email me [email protected] cause i dont know how this thing works.. please some advice i am soo confused....

ok i need massive advice.. i am a senior in hs. i grad thir yr and have applied to a bunch of colleges.. i a\want to become a doctor. but have learned the debt is massssive. so i found another route to becoming one. going to community college for 3 yrs and becoming a nurse.. rn.. then working at a hospital that will pay for my 4 yr whilke i am still making good money about 5ok a yr. then beocme a np and so forth to an md... what to do cause i dont want to stay home.. but it is like 3 yrs.. but i dont know if its worth it.. plus like eeryone i know is going to a 4 yr its embarassing to go to community... im an AP honors student.. WHAAAT TOOO DOOOO... if u have any advice u can reply to this or im me at jessgor610 or email me [email protected] cause i dont know how this thing works.. please some advice i am soo confused....

I'm guessing there are other threads that are more tailored to this. But I would just say that if you can get accepted to a 4 year undergrad and then go to med school, you should do it. If you start down a more complicated, longer path, chances are you won't make it to your end goal. Also, I don't think I know a single person that doesn't have student loans. Student loans are "good debt" if you stay up to date with the payments--the interest rate isn't too high and it helps you build a credit history. You should talk to a counselor at your high school.