2009 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad twenty hours of driving weren't in vain. Thank you , Drexel. And thanks for all the encouragement, nontrads!

Wow, you're really cleaning up this year. Three acceptances so far! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. You drove TWENTY HOURS???? That sounds scary, to say the least. :eek: And with the price of gas these days, I wonder if it was any cheaper than flying.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you're really cleaning up this year. Three acceptances so far! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. You drove TWENTY HOURS???? That sounds scary, to say the least. :eek: And with the price of gas these days, I wonder if it was any cheaper than flying.

10 hours there and 10 hours back. But it ended up being cost effective because I brought the wife along with me. She wanted to check out Philadelphia and meet some of my old college friends.

How are your interviews going?

Hey! Just wanted to pop in and congratulate everyone who has interviews and acceptances. Wooo hooo! I'm crossing my fingers for all the non-trads.

Now that I'm accepted, I'm very impatient for med school to start. It's exacerbated by my lap top slowly dying, but I can't get a new one because we have to buy a very specific lap top for KU...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess it's time that I post here.. :)

In August (of this year, yes), I decided I wanted to go into medicine (after receiving my BS in Bio in 07 and working on a teaching certificate). I studied from 8/8 (or around there) till 9/6 when I took my MCAT. Made a 23P.

I applied Osteo and Allo, but I fell in love with Osteo. I met with Assistant Dean of LMU-DCOM on 10/7 at my local university. Submitted my secondary on 10/11, had a phone call on 10/17 for an interview. Interviewed short notice on 10/20. It went wonderfully. :) All of my letters of recommendation were received by the school on 11/5 and I received a phone call from the Dean of DCOM on 11/7 offering me a spot in the class.

I feel SO blessed by this. It's been such a wonderful experience, and I never, ever expected to get this far, but man am I excited about the journey!

I hope you all have wonderful luck as well!

In August (of this year, yes), I decided I wanted to go into medicine (after receiving my BS in Bio in 07 and working on a teaching certificate). I studied from 8/8 (or around there) till 9/6 when I took my MCAT. Made a 23P.

I applied Osteo and Allo, but I fell in love with Osteo. I met with Assistant Dean of LMU-DCOM on 10/7 at my local university. Submitted my secondary on 10/11, had a phone call on 10/17 for an interview. Interviewed short notice on 10/20. It went wonderfully. :) All of my letters of recommendation were received by the school on 11/5 and I received a phone call from the Dean of DCOM on 11/7 offering me a spot in the class.

I feel SO blessed by this. It's been such a wonderful experience, and I never, ever expected to get this far, but man am I excited about the journey!

Holy shmokes! That's awesome! Congratulations!

From decision to apply to acceptance in 3 months. That's gotta be some kind of record.

:thumbup::thumbup: Great to hear about your acceptance. Now you can have a great family confab over Thanksgiving, get your plans in order and get ready to start!

Good luck and all the best on your journey.

How are your interviews going?

I have just one so far, and it hasn't happened yet (January 5th). But I'm still in there plugging away. Couldn't get the time of day out of Drexel, but I just got the secondaries for Loyola and Tulane (the last 2 I was waiting for). Once I get those out of the way, I need to move on to other things--like studying for the MCAT AGAIN (1/31/09).

BTW, which med school are you leaning towards these days? I know you're a Buckeye, which would favor the Ohio schools, but you also seem to have college ties to Philly. I've applied to Toledo and Drexel, so I'd love to know your impressions of both.

Just found out that I got an MD interview at UMC in MS on Dec. 4th:thumbup:
Only 1 other interview scheduled so far for LECOM-Erie on Jan. 8th. Everyone had my secondaries/letters by October 15th...we'll see.

Just found out that I got an MD interview at UMC in MS on Dec. 4th:thumbup:
Only 1 other interview scheduled so far for LECOM-Erie on Jan. 8th. Everyone had my secondaries/letters by October 15th...we'll see.

Congrats! That's a pretty quick turnaround time on those interview invites too!

On a separate note, my progress has been fairly non-existent, but I felt I had to come over here and post since this thread was almost falling off the first page! :eek: Let's stay alive here, folks! I think we may need this thread of moral support even more when we're short on progress!

On another note, I realized I just ended every sentence with an exclamation point! Ridiculous! (k, past my bedtime, obviously!)

Just when I thought my interviews were done - got an interview by my state school (CO) for next Monday! I'm kinda sorta really excited! :love:

Just when I thought my interviews were done - got an interview by my state school (CO) for next Monday! I'm kinda sorta really excited! :love:

Yee-hah! Knock 'em dead. :luck::luck::luck::luck:

P.S. Next Monday??? That has to be the WORLD'S SHORTEST turnaround time.

Just checked my status at UVM: "You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended." Dare I hope???

Yee-hah! Knock 'em dead. :luck::luck::luck::luck:

P.S. Next Monday??? That has to be the WORLD'S SHORTEST turnaround time.

Lol, I was so excited I forgot what the date was. It's actually the 24th, so a week and a half - but still pretty short notice. Guess they figure since I am IS I can make it - they were right!

So, I can't be sure this is what did it, but I did e-mail the Director of Admissions about 2 weeks ago stating my genuine desire to go to their school and stay in my home state to practice. It may have been just enough to convince them to revisit my app which had been complete since Sept. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck at UVM :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm am super excited about this one. I loved this school.

Wow, you're on a roll now: 4 acceptances so far. You're doing the nontrads proud. :hardy:

I'm just hoping I can get at least one ...

Just checked my status at UVM: "You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended." Dare I hope???

YES!!!!!!!!!! Interview invite for January 6th. (Starting the New Year with a bang--it's the day after my Upstate interview.)

UC Irvine interview invite received today. I.. am... so... freaking.. scared/ecstatic/nervous! :scared:

I'm am super excited about this one. I loved this school.

YES!!!!!!!!!! Interview invite for January 6th. (Starting the New Year with a bang--it's the day after my Upstate interview.)

Whoa! I go away for a couple of days, and suddenly there's lots more non-trad good news!! Congrats, everyone!! and :luck::luck: on those interviews!!

Sorry about UPENN situation...but one never knows, does one?

The good news is: you have some great programs to pick from! Your success is great and you'll be an M1 next year.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if UPENN and/or other schools extended the offer. Sooner or later.

Continued success,
Doctor 712

Sorry about UPENN situation...but one never knows, does one?

The good news is: you have some great programs to pick from! Your success is great and you'll be an M1 next year.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if UPENN and/or other schools extended the offer. Sooner or later.

Continued success,
Doctor 712

Lol. Believe me I'm not complaining and I'm ecstatic about how my application season is going. UPENN was my one big reach school (amongst my longshots) and I honestly knew my chances of getting in were nil to none. But hey, I get nostalgic about my alma mater.

I've really never posted in this forum...so figured I'd say hey to all non-trads!

just got interview invites for DMU (fasTrack?) and Nova......

praying for OU-COM

IamAriDO

Lol. Believe me I'm not complaining and I'm ecstatic about how my application season is going. UPENN was my one big reach school (amongst my longshots) and I honestly knew my chances of getting in were nil to none. But hey, I get nostalgic about my alma mater.

I know what you mean. My alma mater has a super-elite, world-famous med school, and my chances of getting in there don't even approach laughable. I applied anyway, out of some sense of hopeless nostalgia, but as I pressed the button to submit the secondary, I found myself thinking, "Who are we really kidding here?"

It's a non-rolling school, so I won't hear from them for ages. But when that rejection letter comes, it really should say something like the following:

"Dear Student1799,

This can't come as a surprise, can it? I mean, seriously.

Yours sincerely,
Awe-Inspiring School of Medicine for People who Actually Have Good Stats"

As long as I can get into Joe Schmo Medical School somewhere, it's all good. :)

Just got my second interview invite.. this one to UCLA David Geffen! my first one was to Western U!

Thanks man! I'm floored by how much easier this year has been when compared to the previous 2!

That is pretty awesome. Third time's the charm, I guess. :D

I'm starting to worry that I may have to go for round 3 as well (the crickets are deafening right now!) . . . but I DEFINITELY feel like if I had to, I'd be golden next time around. (I think I'm finally getting the hang of this whole "applying" thing. :rolleyes:) This time I nearly tripled the number of schools I applied to, and it has seemed a little, but not hugely, worse than the "deer in the headlights"/overwhelming/pins-and-needles feeling of last year . . . but I know I could still significantly improve my timing if I had to re-apply yet again. *Sigh* I'm hoping that won't be necessary, though. :xf:

Crickets be damned!

You guys are an inspiration... not only to every non-trad juggling a job, a family and/or the insidious little man in the back of our heads telling us "you're too old for this gig"... but to all right-thinking aspirants to the privilege of medical care.

Every time a reapp gets admitted, a team of reporters should be dispatched (with all dispatch) to their home to wade through the pizza boxes and yellowing rejection letters of yesteryear, to ask (in the hushed and sycophantic tones reserved for interviews of POWs and elderly marathoners) "what is the source of your fortitude?" and (parenthetically, and even more sotto voce) "is it too late for me?"

A bell should go off in the dorm rooms of the myopic 4.0/36R tabula rasae of life and over the pointy heads of the (few remaining) retrograde advisers who always seem to advise the path of least resistance.

GOOD ON YA.

Last edited:
Congrats to Chuck's Right Foot on first MD acceptance! I can't even imagine what you're feeling now. I tip my hat to all you reapplicants.

CultureDoc - stay strong. We believe in you.

Crickets be damned!

CultureDoc - stay strong. We believe in you.

Awww! Thanks guys! I love the non-trads. :love::D

Cremaster, your elegy rocks! Thanks for the pick-me-up. :cool:

Let's see, I have yummy leftovers for lunch from our T-giving potluck at work yesterday, a fairly easy workload as half our office is gone, some great non-trad love here . . . now I just need an interview invite today to make my day one of the best ever! (and to actually have some good news to report to the hoards of family tomorrow! Eeek!) I think I'm gonna call some schools and prod for info! With holiday spirit in the air, maybe I'll catch someone in a good mood! :xf:

Happy (day after) Thanksgiving non-trads! I am thankful for our thread, especially its humor and support.

Ack! Our beloved progress thread fell to the 2nd page! Must resurrect it!

Anyway, here's my progress to report: pre-interview hold from GW. *Sigh* :thumbdown: Anyone else get one of those (via status page)?

On the bright side, my semester ends tomorrow, so I will soon be able to send updated transcripts to all my schools!! (which also means I should probably stop procrastinating on SDN and study for this final to ensure that my "A" doesn't get away from me. :oops:)

Anyway, here's my progress to report: pre-interview hold from GW. *Sigh* :thumbdown: Anyone else get one of those (via status page)?

Oh %^&*, I have one of those too! I hadn't checked my status there in a week or so, until I saw your post. They must have issued a bunch of holds recently.

So far I have 4 holds, 2 interviews, 1 rejection and 20 dead silences ...

Hi all, :hello:

Thought you might be interested in a live podcast this Thursday. It's in regards to training for medical students prior to deployment.

Dr. Peter Napolitano, a physician champion for patient safety working at Madigan Army Medical Center, will provide a view on a pre-training effort prior to 'boots on the ground' deployment. Dr. Napolitano will specifically describe the importance of "Huddle", a TeamSTEPPS(tm) tool needed in daily practice while providing patient care. This podcast is part of a series that follows military doctors from training to deployment.

The podcast is called DotMilDocs. :thumbup:

Hey everyone,

I just received my second official rejection letter today from SUNY. Sorry to be a downer, but I figured I might as well contribute to the thread and keep it on the first page!:) I hope everyone is well and enjoying their holiday season. Good luck to all for the rest of this year and into the next.

To clarify it was SUNY Downstate

Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!

Mizzou - my state school and my first one!!! (um, obviously!) I feel as though I have FINALLY crossed an invisible barrier. (Whew!)

Yippee! :banana:

Oh %^&*, I have one of those too! I hadn't checked my status there in a week or so, until I saw your post. They must have issued a bunch of holds recently.

So far I have 4 holds, 2 interviews, 1 rejection and 20 dead silences ...

Yeah, they did. I forget the exact day, but I think it was Thursday of last week. I randomly went through and checked my status pages, saw the hold, checked out the GW thread and found lots of company for my misery. I'm still not sure if they did outright rejections at that time, though. I'd like to think I'm being kept around for a reason (other then toying with my emotions), but who knows? :rolleyes:

Yeah, they did. I forget the exact day, but I think it was Thursday of last week. I randomly went through and checked my status pages, saw the hold, checked out the GW thread and found lots of company for my misery. I'm still not sure if they did outright rejections at that time, though. I'd like to think I'm being kept around for a reason (other then toying with my emotions), but who knows? :rolleyes:

I think they sent out just a handful of outright rejections on the same day. I say this because I was one of the lucky ones. I'm glad they didn't string me along any longer.