200k in debt club

Started by ngkats
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't understand the purpose of this club. Are any of you even $100k in debt, or are you just ruminating about what might someday be?
 
I just estimate it all. I take into account my stipend for research and my jobs and what ever is left over I take out a loan. Though, I still pay monthly since I never know what will come up. I might have to bail out, like me recently deciding to move to Indianapolis. You just have to do the math and budget it out.

This isn't actually the case for med schools, by the way. As I said earlier, the school estimates an average cost of living that includes rent, food, transportation etc for however many months you'll be in school (say, 9 for first and second year, 12 for third, 12 for fourth) and it's deposited into your account each semester. It's up to you to budget it out and spend it throughout the year. I believe if you have big expenses that come up, you can go to financial aid with a receipt and have them change your loan amount for the next semester to cover the cost, but the total budget is set, at least first year. After first year, as I said, things can be altered a bit. If you spent way less money than they had estimated, they'll give you less the year after, and so on. So yeah, either way it's a lump sum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Med schools have any kind of work study?

Thought I would post a club officers list

200K in debt club Officers

President: ngkats
Head of Internal Affairs: Siverhideo1985
Historian: DOquestions
Yearbook Editor: DOquestions
Diplomat: andrewnwi
Secretary: Myuu
Head of Public Relations: Myuu
Ambassador to 2014: andrewnwi
Lobbyist: NotAndrew??
 
Last edited:
This isn't actually the case for med schools, by the way. As I said earlier, the school estimates an average cost of living that includes rent, food, transportation etc for however many months you'll be in school (say, 9 for first and second year, 12 for third, 12 for fourth) and it's deposited into your account each semester. It's up to you to budget it out and spend it throughout the year. I believe if you have big expenses that come up, you can go to financial aid with a receipt and have them change your loan amount for the next semester to cover the cost, but the total budget is set, at least first year. After first year, as I said, things can be altered a bit. If you spent way less money than they had estimated, they'll give you less the year after, and so on. So yeah, either way it's a lump sum.

Yeah, I know. I am just giving my 0.2 cents on how I do things. I'm not even in med school yet! Your answer was way better than mine, of course, and actually glad you posted cause now I know that for the near future! 😀
 
Yeah, I know. I am just giving my 0.2 cents on how I do things. I'm not even in med school yet! Your answer was way better than mine, of course, and actually glad you posted cause now I know that for the near future! 😀

No prob! I'm not in med school either, I'm just excited that after much reading of the financial aid packets I've been sent I finally reached a :idea: moment and can share it with the world! 😀
 
No prob! I'm not in med school either, I'm just excited that after much reading of the financial aid packets I've been sent I finally reached a :idea: moment and can share it with the world! 😀

Hmm, you want a economist position? :laugh:
I can't think of someone who handles personal financial affairs...Anyone know?
 
You guys are awesome! I'll buy you all a very, very cheap drink one of these days. Or some ramen. To celebrate!

Excellent...actually..can you give me the $2.50 instead of the drink...I'd like to start paying off my loans as soon as possible 😀


I second this list:

President: ngkats
Head of Internal Affairs: Siverhideo1985
Historian: DOquestions
Yearbook Editor: DOquestions
Diplomat: andrewnwi
Secretary: Myuu
Head of Public Relations: Myuu
Ambassador to 2014: andrewnwi
Lobbyist: NotAndrew
 
I don't understand the purpose of this club. Are any of you even $100k in debt, or are you just ruminating about what might someday be?

We are ruminating for the most part I think...ruminating with infinite certainty...unless you care to play good samaritan and provide us with the cash to get out of this club?
 
Er...I'm afraid I'm not part of this club, I am merely a lurker. If a med school hadn't been incredibly generous, I would have been quite the active member though!

The 200K in debt club does not discriminate.

Sorry for the triple post.

I would like to establish official 'honorary' positions for those that do not/can not join this fine establishment of ours but are sympathetic towards our causes.
 
Excellent...actually..can you give me the $2.50 instead of the drink...I'd like to start paying off my loans as soon as possible 😀


I second this list:

President: ngkats
Head of Internal Affairs: Siverhideo1985
Historian: DOquestions
Yearbook Editor: DOquestions
Diplomat: andrewnwi
Secretary: Myuu
Head of Public Relations: Myuu
Ambassador to 2014: andrewnwi
Lobbyist: NotAndrew

Thirded!👍
 
Sorry for the triple post.

I would like to establish official 'honorary' positions for those that do not/can not join this fine establishment of ours but are sympathetic towards our causes.

I agree, I would also like to take this opportunity to lobby for a 200K in debt social group.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a little confused...are there social groups on SDN? or are we talking about some other online forum/facebook/etc?
Yeah. If you it is under the community drop down on the user bar. I have no idea what it is but I would still like to lobby for it.
 
Sweet. I just joined the social group. Alright, with that great deed I am off to bed...

...mind you, I now sleep 14 hrs a day to cut back on electricity and food intake...as (I believe) ngkats said: we all have to sacrifice.
 
For those of you who would like to join the social group here is the link.

Sweet. I just joined the social group. Alright, with that great deed I am off to bed...

...mind you, I now sleep 14 hrs a day to cut back on electricity and food intake...as (I believe) ngkats said: we all have to sacrifice.

Indeed. I am down to only bathing once a week.
 
Last edited:
Originally Posted by Siverhideo1985
Excellent...actually..can you give me the $2.50 instead of the drink...I'd like to start paying off my loans as soon as possible


I second this list:

President: ngkats
Head of Internal Affairs: Siverhideo1985
Historian: DOquestions
Yearbook Editor: DOquestions
Diplomat: andrewnwi
Secretary: Myuu
Head of Public Relations: Myuu
Ambassador to 2014: andrewnwi
Lobbyist: NotAndrew

Originally Posted by Siverhideo1985
Thirded!👍

Fourth-ed!
 
I too am off to bed. I got suckered into working/judging Science Olympiad by out analytical prof...dammit. I need to be up in 5 hours. I cannot wait to deal with psychotic parents and their "my son/daughter answered that correctly!" crap. 🙁
 
Last edited:
...mind you, I now sleep 14 hrs a day to cut back on electricity and food intake...as (I believe) ngkats said: we all have to sacrifice.

I take the opposite approach - never sleeping in order to save on mattress costs.

In my experience, as long as I listen to Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" at least 250 times per day, I am immune to fatigue. Side effects include occasional bouts of intractable weeping and a general feeling of well-being and inner warmth.
 
I take the opposite approach - never sleeping in order to save on mattress costs.

In my experience, as long as I listen to Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" at least 250 times per day, I am immune to fatigue. Side effects include occasional bouts of intractable weeping and a general feeling of well-being and inner warmth.

Warning this has not be approved by the FDA.
 
I too am off to bed. I got suckered into working/judging Science Olympiad by out analytical prof...dammit. I need to be up in 5 hours. I cannot wait to deal with psychotic parents and their "my son/daughter answered that correctly!" crap. 🙁

Me too.

What are the odds you list judging the science olympiad on your ECs?
 
Morning everyone! How about brewing a cup of dirt while we watch the interest compound?🙂

I wish I had coffee. I just spent 8 hours at school, and for what...Science Olympiad. I sure have never agreed to do it. So, lame...anyone do that in high school? I never did, but science fairs those were awesome!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish I had coffee. I just spent 8 hours at school, and for what...Science Olympiad. I sure have never agreed to do it. So, lame...anyone do that in high school? I never did, but science fairs those were awesome!

Oh, when I said dirt, I didn't mean coffee. I meant dirt. Gotta save what's left!!:laugh:
 
There's something very wrong with pre-meds extolling a club like this. It's like y'all are using wheelchairs for the fun of it.

But hey, if anyone is matriculating next fall, just take out as much money as you can and pray for a total collapse of our economic system, followed by massive hyperinflation. That's what I do.
 
How about the $300k club?

That is an honor I may be able to avoid with shrewd budgeting and delayed gratification. To stay below $200k is just too lofty a goal at this juncture.

I'd say, enjoy life as much as possible while you are at school. Time is more crucial in our cases. Live life, travel, eat, and drink.
I ain't sparing ONE cent when I'm in med school.
 
Wait...that's wrong? Wheelchairs are fun, especially when going downhill!




I used to try to keep up with my mom when headed downhill - I never could. Greatest invention of all time! 😛

My friend use to do that, irony won and he was put in a wheel chair for breaking both his legs.
 
I won't be, but I may be close.

I'll probably be going to a private school but it is a private school that gives a minor discount to instate people. Housing is expensive but I'm fortunate enough to have a dad that is trying to work a bit still to cover that. (He is almost 71. I tried to get him to let me worry about it but he will have none of it)
 
ahhh....16 hrs of sleep....I saved myself breakfast and lunch and I feel well rested...this is working out great.

No joke. I fell asleep at 3 in the morning and woke up at 7. I just saved 4 dollars on breakfast, 10 dollars on lunch, and who knows how much by turning the heat down.
 
I did all my grocery shopping and filled up my tank for the following week, and got toothpaste. I didn't go over 35 bucks! $15 on gas, $3 on toothpaste, and $15 on Ramen!

(Andrew is now the proud new owner of 90 packages of Ramen. I love the 5/$5 dollar deal for the 6 packs. :soexcited:)
 
I did all my grocery shopping and filled up my tank for the following week, and got toothpaste. I didn't go over 35 bucks! $15 on gas, $3 on toothpaste, and $15 on Ramen!

(Andrew is now the proud new owner of 90 packages of Ramen. I love the 5/$5 dollar deal for the 6 packs. :soexcited:)
Good work.

I just checked my bank account and I have some serious saving to do. My current balance is -81.63.😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope there's not a huge penalty associated with being overdrawn.😱

Actually most of that is the huge penalty for overdrawing. I spent like 3 dollars at burger king - overdrew my account - 35 dollar charge - spent 6 bucks at 7-11 - overdrew again - 35 dollar charge again. Then I didn't get paid on the 13th like I should have because the CBS payroll department is incompetent. So I had 20 bucks for the last 15 days.
 
Actually most of that is the huge penalty for overdrawing. I spent like 3 dollars at burger king - overdrew my account - 35 dollar charge - spent 6 bucks at 7-11 - overdrew again - 35 dollar charge again. Then I didn't get paid on the 13th like I should have because the CBS payroll department is incompetent. So I had 20 bucks for the last 15 days.

I know how it feels. I hate it when my wife spends money and she never tells me and I don't check our checking account. Money for me is really tight right now and she is still in her last semester of college. So she gets in these starbucks moods some days because it is next door (grrrrrrrrrrrr). So last semester she went to starbucks and spent 45 dollars on food and I just spent 600 dollars on bills and she also spent 125 dollars on some useless stuff that she never uses. We overdrew 40 dollars because she never told me about the 125 dollars she spent. So I had to wait two weeks to be paid again. I was being charged 75 everyday for being over drafted. It took me forever to get the account back to a positive number. I had to use a credit card to pay for gas and food for that month.

So now she has to report all spending via text when I pay the bills.

Problem is she doesn't make any money.

I don't like my wife living next to a bunch of places where she can go on a shoppying spree at any time of the day.

Edit: I know of a website were I can make three dollars for an article that is about 400 words long. So when the checking account goes into the negative I can try and earn a few bucks that way to get it into the positives again.
 
Last edited:
Yeahh, that's the dilemma I'm in right now. I don't know whether to a private university like BU, Tufts, or Northeastern (who are awful with financial aid) or just got to Umass and pay basically nothing. Decisions...decisions....
 
Yeahh, that's the dilemma I'm in right now. I don't know whether to a private university like BU, Tufts, or Northeastern (who are awful with financial aid) or just got to Umass and pay basically nothing. Decisions...decisions....

Well, its either being part of this awesome club or going to Umass and paying nothing (? how?...are you getting a scholarship?)...

...you know I love you guys...but I would pick paying nothing... :scared:

And if you are sympathetic towards our causes, we might even induct you as an honorary member
 
Last edited: