2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cool....thx for quick replies guys....will keep checking the email.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the season. My understanding is that after the interview, you are given a score (that you will never find out). A certain score means acceptance and if you are below that, you are placed "under consideration". As the season continues, they will begin to lower their acceptance score. So, once they lower it to your score, you will get accepted. I'm pretty sure that the way they determine when to lower the score and by how much varies a lot from season to season depending on how many applications they get, how good the score of the interviewees are, etc.

Any idea on how it works for pre-interview holds? This is my third one of the season, ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea on how it works for pre-interview holds? This is my third one of the season, ugh.

Snow, I wouldn't place my chips on getting an interview from Albany. I have a hold as well and I checked through last year's thread and saw no "hold" movement.

Anyone complete on Nov 6th still waiting for a interview offer?

Has anyone accepted here received their background check e-mail? I know some people who were accepted at other schools who have received one, but I've got nothing.

Anyone recieved an interview invite this week?

Anyone recieved an interview invite this week?

Not me. I received the hold status today (pre-interview). It's pretty much a nice rejection.

Albany has a huge application volume of around 10,000 per year. 600 interviews is just 6%. No hard feelings, I guess.

Sorry to hear about that. When were you complete?

Sorry to hear about that. When were you complete?

Thanks. I got an invite from a similar school a week ago, so it doesn't seem as bad.:)

All materials were in by late September. I wasn't marked complete by email or status check until late November. Quite a long turnaround.

I was marked complete by status check in first week of November, but I still haven't received any update. I wonder who else is in the same boat?

Anybody know what's special about albany? I know they are proud of having been one of the first med schools to have re-done their curriculum, but anything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone accepted here received their background check e-mail? I know some people who were accepted at other schools who have received one, but I've got nothing.

I did receive my background check email, but I'm not sure if it was because of Albany or another school... it was through Certiphi - is that the company Albany uses?

I did receive my background check email, but I'm not sure if it was because of Albany or another school... it was through Certiphi - is that the company Albany uses?

I know of a few schools that use certiphi. When were you accepted? I got the good news 12/16 and have not received the email.

Thanks, Obliquity. Looks like I have a couple more weeks to clean up my record!

Got the financial aid email 1/13/11, was accepted 12/16/10.

Looks like it's time to do taxes and FAFSA again...

I've been placed on hold pre-interview a while ago and I'm wondering if I still have a chance at this school?

Withdrew from a Thursday 1/20 interview at 8:15AM. I am appreciative of AMC's decision to invite me for an interview, and I hope that one of you on here has the opportunity to pick it up (despite the late notice =S).

Good luck!

Anyone been moved off the UC list or know when they may begin to move people off of it?

im also wondering when they start taking people off the UC list. i was put on waaay way back, in early november.

also, sucks that we can't really update them since our score is set in stone.

im also wondering when they start taking people off the UC list. i was put on waaay way back, in early november.

also, sucks that we can't really update them since our score is set in stone.

It depends on when they start to adjust the score cutoff. It will slowly work its way lower as the interview season goes on and the committee looks at how many people they've accepted versus how many they've interviewed. The cutoff starts quite high, I'm not sure how much it lowers as the season moves on but it does decrease. So before too long a few people from the top of the UC list should start hearing about acceptances, although I can't say when that'll be.

Anybody know how receptive Albany is to phone calls inquiring about status? I just get the impression from the website that they discourage calls...

Anybody know how receptive Albany is to phone calls inquiring about status? I just get the impression from the website that they discourage calls...

No you can call them......they are usually nice on the phone. When were you complete?

I've been complete for 2+ months and this is the one school I haven't heard a peep from.

No you can call them......they are usually nice on the phone. When were you complete?

Complete 8/31. Received hold status 9/23. I just feel so useless sitting here, so I'm going to start calling some schools. Especially since Albany doesn't allow for update letters, I just want to make sure they haven't forgotten me lol. There's still a ton of schools I haven't heard back from!!

Complete 8/31. Received hold status 9/23. I just feel so useless sitting here, so I'm going to start calling some schools. Especially since Albany doesn't allow for update letters, I just want to make sure they haven't forgotten me lol. There's still a ton of schools I haven't heard back from!!

Yeah....I am in the same boat...haven't heard from most of the schools, including albany. Although, i was complete in early november.

hopefully they let some people off the UC this week...

Sorry if people have covered this already, but how do you know if you are on pre-interview hold? Does the status change or just not getting an interview so far mean that?

I have been complete for a while now, and my status hasn't changed at all and I haven't gotten an interview so I don't really know what is going on.

Any information anyone?

Sorry if people have covered this already, but how do you know if you are on pre-interview hold? Does the status change or just not getting an interview so far mean that?

I have been complete for a while now, and my status hasn't changed at all and I haven't gotten an interview so I don't really know what is going on.

Any information anyone?

It is my understanding that if you are put on a pre-interview hold, that notification comes via email. People on pre-interview hold usually do not get interviews, it is rare to get an interview off the pre-interview hold, you can check out last years thread. Just reality. So if you have not heard anything you still have a chance although I would have to believe interviews are winding down and if they are still offering interviews there are less spots available. Reality, they get over 10,000 applications. The class size is about 140, of which 40-50 come from guaranteed spots from 3 local colleges, so you are competing for approx. 100 spots from 10,000 traditional applications. Best of luck.

Interview invite earlier today!

Congratulations. May I ask what your stats were, when you were completed, and when is your interview so we can maybe see if there will be spots left later on? It's okay if you do not want to share though, I understand.

I just scheduled my interview for February 24th. I read somewhere that they interview out until April, so there are probably many interview invites yet to be sent. Don't lose hope if you've still heard nothing! :xf:

I turned in secondary / paid fee on August 4th, my committee letter was sent near the end of September, and I got the "Albany Medical College application status-certify" email on Nov 16th.

I'll probably be going to the Wed night social thing if any other SDN folks are interviewing the same week.

I just scheduled my interview for February 24th. I read somewhere that they interview out until April, so there are probably many interview invites yet to be sent. Don't lose hope if you've still heard nothing! :xf:

I turned in secondary / paid fee on August 4th, my committee letter was sent near the end of September, and I got the "Albany Medical College application status-certify" email on Nov 16th.

I'll probably be going to the Wed night social thing if any other SDN folks are interviewing the same week.

I was complete early November online. I did not receive the complete email. So am I still running?

anyone from the 1/20 interview date hear anything yet???

Omg I called earlier and finally got the acceptance!! This has been the most tortuous process ever. Feel like crying I'm so happy

Has there been any movement on the post-interview UC list yet? Does anyone know when there will be movement? When I interviewed in October, they said mid-January...

I am most likely going to be withdrawing my acceptance in the next few days... good luck to whoever gets it!

Albany is a fantastic school and I wish those attending the best of luck, as well as those still waiting:)

Omg I called earlier and finally got the acceptance!! This has been the most tortuous process ever. Feel like crying I'm so happy

were you under consideration? or did you just get accepted.

This is my biggest fear, that decisions have been made and I just haven't been notified...

Edit: Sorry for omitting "CONGRATS!!"

gosh this process is getting to me.

Last edited:
I was complete early November online. I did not receive the complete email. So am I still running?

I submitted by secondary on 9/8. I also emailed Maria Sgarlata in regards to whether not my application was complete on 10/20, and received confirmation that it was complete on 10/22.

Her email address is: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.