2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee" since July 25th. Has this been the case for anyone? Should I be concerned and email them? I actually sent an update letter and they said that they couldn't add it to my file because it was "out of the office".. what does that even mean??.

I'm in this situation as well. Why would this be? Is it really possible that they haven't even looked at my application yet when I've been complete for four months?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in this situation as well. Why would this be? Is it really possible that they haven't even looked at my application yet when I've been complete for four months?

I'm sure they've looked at your application. I was complete way after you and was rejected. They still like you!!

So, how do you know the date when you are/were complete? My status page says my application is complete, but it actually said this before I got e-mail confirmation that it was actually received (which happened to be over a month after I had sent it). Should I be expecting an email confirmation too, and how long does this take relative to other events?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my interview invite. It was in Mid December if anyone wants to reschedule their date.

Gool Luck! :luck:

So, how do you know the date when you are/were complete? My status page says my application is complete, but it actually said this before I got e-mail confirmation that it was actually received (which happened to be over a month after I had sent it). Should I be expecting an email confirmation too, and how long does this take relative to other events?
If your status says "complete" and you received an email confirmation saying your "certified application was received" then I think you're all set. I didn't receive anything else between that email and my interview invite.

Hello All,

It seems like everybody has really enjoyed their Albany experience. I am interviewing there this coming Thursday and I am becoming slightly anxious. I have heard that they are big on ethic questions. Can anybody speak directly about this? Also, I am from Buffalo but my father resides in Albany so I am planning to stay with him. Did everybody that interviewed choose to stay with a student host?

Completed application 7/29
Confirmed Complete via email 8/26
OOS/3.64 Science/3.71 Overall/32LMCAT

adkmedgirl, Masher was complete in August and just received an interview invite (congrats by the way!) so if you've been complete and haven't been rejected, this is an indication of ADCOMs rereviewing applications and granting invites.

Hello All,

It seems like everybody has really enjoyed their Albany experience. I am interviewing there this coming Thursday and I am becoming slightly anxious. I have heard that they are big on ethic questions. Can anybody speak directly about this? Also, I am from Buffalo but my father resides in Albany so I am planning to stay with him. Did everybody that interviewed choose to stay with a student host?

I didn't get a single ethics question from either interviewer. However, I get the feeling that this may have been because I am reapplicant so both interviews focused a lot on what I have done to improve my application.

Hello All,

I didn't have any ethical questions either during my interview, nor did either ask anything close to "Why medicine?" or "Why Albany?" Both were more conversational than asking a question and giving a response type .. my second interviewer in particular kept asking questions to keep the conversation going. Both of my interviewers, though, were faculty members, so I don't know if that's why ..

Also, I actually interviewed on one of the weeks were student hosts weren't available, but I didn't feel I was seriously lacking anything. I went to the social night thing with current students the night before and got some questions answered. Plus, it might be just me, but I was nervous enough the night before (not that you need to be ;) ) that I appreciated having some privacy.

Good luck!

Hello All,

There was one interviewer who asked ethical questions, I didn't have him and don't remember his name but he was an older white haired gentleman.

Hello All,

I got one ethics question, but it was vague and left room for me to take it where I wanted to take it. My interviewer was an older woman, extremely friendly.

Hello All,

My interview were with 2 young ladies (psychiatrist and pediatrician)... while they both asked ethic questions, the questions were in no way stressful...you can reason your way through them and just remember to try to show compassion with whatever answer you have in your mind. They'll appreciate that, and I actually "think" that's what they are looking for. Be confident in your answers and enjoy your interview day. It was my best interview experience :).

Hello All,

I only had one interviewer and she presented 4 ethics questions, pretty lightly, actually as "fun" questions. In my opinion, the best way to prepare for these questions is just to be clear on your values regarding ethics and popular ethics topics (abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering)--though I haven't been asked any questions about any of these topics yet, it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Here is a helpful article on how to approach ethical quetsions during your interview: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2007/04/ethical-questions-interview-advice-column/

There is one interviewer at Albany who is apparently notorious for grilling applicants with difficult questions (detail a plan on how you would reform our health care system), especially ethical questions. Fortunately, he was teaching class the day I interviewed so he was not an interviewer. If you care who he is, you can pm me.

Re student hosts--I stayed with a student host. Of my interview group about half stayed w/ hosts and the other half in a hotel. I actually did not think this mattered until my interviewer asked me if I stayed with a host, and reflected on it positively. I wouldn't change your plans now as I don't think its that big of a deal.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude. This instantly brought back memories of watching Food Network in your room at the Baldwin house, with your TV awkwardly positioned next to the ceiling. :D

HAHAHAHA yes! I wish I could've opted to be evaluated for a seat based on my love for food and the food network.

complete at end of august
interview invite today (slow!)

withdrew so good luck to someone else! :luck:

complete at end of august
interview invite today (slow!)

withdrew so good luck to someone else! :luck:

I take it you were simply waiting to see if you would get an invite since you withdrew so quickly?

Combination of yes and laziness to withdraw from schools not intending to offer an invite (I applied to a ton of places). Only posted this one bc it took so long that i figured i was rejected and I thought it might be helpful to others waiting. I guess I don't think it's a big deal but you seem bothered...

Not bothered at all, just curious since you waited so long and withdrew immediately.

... especially from a school like Cornell.

Edit: lol i thought this was for cornell... my bad

Lol I read the message initially and I was like :confused: I'm not in Cornell yet. Is he talking about me or the guy above me? Then I decided that maybe I was just having a slow day and therefore wouldn't ask what you meant:laugh:

^

I'm a girl but it's all gravy!

just got an interview invite this afternoon. Was complete July 27th and had not heard anything prior to the II email.
There's still hope for all of you still waiting

just got an interview invite this afternoon. Was complete July 27th and had not heard anything prior to the II email.
There's still hope for all of you still waiting

yep yep.
Their FAQs says they interview until April and my interview choices are all in early Jan., so hang in there people.

Lol I read the message initially and I was like :confused: I'm not in Cornell yet. Is he talking about me or the guy above me? Then I decided that maybe I was just having a slow day and therefore wouldn't ask what you meant:laugh:

lol it's the finals ed... they're killing me.. got 4 hours of sleep in the past 2 days... so I'm kind of slowwww :sleep:

I was talking about the girl above you... by continuing the thought in your post :)

interview invite 12/10. complete since 8/26. just scheduled today for 1/6/11. im excited!

Committee meets tomorrow right? I wish everyone who interviewed last week the best of luck and let's see some SDN acceptances!

I interviewed here last week. Do they usually respond quickly after the committee meeting? They told us to expect a response in 2-3 weeks.

I interviewed here last week. Do they usually respond quickly after the committee meeting? They told us to expect a response in 2-3 weeks.

I believe the committee meets the Tuesday after your interview and how quickly they get back to you just depends on whether they get to your file that Tuesday or if you're bumped to the next Tuesday. I was surprised by the 8 day turnaround on my decision. Once again, just depends on whether they're back logged on reviewing applications or not. 2-3 weeks seems reasonable though compared to many other schools, I think.

Does anyone know Albany interview and acceptance rate? Does anyone know their tuition is?
Thanks

Yes, 2-3 weeks is extremely reasonable.

Albany's tuition is somewhere around $48-49,000.

Does anyone know Albany interview and acceptance rate? Does anyone know their tuition is?
Thanks

For 2008-2009, Albany interviewed 565 out of 8,884 (or 6.4%). I don't recall the number of interviewees accepted, but class size was 143 for that year, so I'm guessing about 280 were accepted, or about 50% of interviewees (keep in mind a certain amount of those accepted were "Under Consideration" first).

Tuition for this year was $48,226 (per their website).

While the class size 143, a large proportion of those students were on combined BS/MD programs from the local universities. According to the admissions committee at the interview meeting, the number of open spots for traditional applicants is roughly 90-95.

Any idea on a timeline you would hear from them? I was complete late september but not a peep

for the interview packet and response form, were any of you successful in uploading your photo?

for the interview packet and response form, were any of you successful in uploading your photo?

What browser are you using? When I tried to do it using Chrome, it wouldn't work, but it did with IE or Firefox (one of the two .. can't remember what I used). You can also bring a pic with you to the interview

Got an interview invite today -- my first one! Cya on Jan 6.

Complete 11/22.
Terrible GPA.
OK MCAT.

Congrats! Maybe your ECs are amazing, and they make up for the GPA. It's possible that Albany uses a more holistic approach with reviewing their applications (which might explain why they take so long).

That interview date isn't very far off, either. I bet someone withdrew, and you got their spot. Stay positive, all it takes is one interview. :)

What browser are you using? When I tried to do it using Chrome, it wouldn't work, but it did with IE or Firefox (one of the two .. can't remember what I used). You can also bring a pic with you to the interview

thanks a bunch! i was using chrome but switched to mozilla and it worked. :)

Got an interview invite today -- my first one! Cya on Jan 6.

Complete 11/22.
Terrible GPA.
OK MCAT.

Thats crazy, I just turned down my Jan 6th interview at Albany (got it back in november). Good luck Rook, Knock it dead!

ACCEPTED!
Interviewed: 12/9
Looks like they are really hitting their next week response goals. If you wanna know when I was complete, stats and whatnot PM me :). Anyways, first acceptance and I AM PUMPED!

Last edited:
Accepted this morning! Interviewed 12/8.
3.5/32

Placed on "hold" pre-interview today. Is this invariably a polite rejection given how many applications they receive?:(

How did they notify you? I have yet to hear back from them. Been complete officially since Oct 15th.

I was placed on pre-interview hold last week and was notified by e-mail.
Complete 9/7

Just got an interview invite! Looks like Jan 13. Complete 10/5

Anyone have an opinion about morning vs afternoon interview?

Just got an interview invite! Looks like Jan 13. Complete 10/5

Anyone have an opinion about morning vs afternoon interview?

It depends on when you will be most comfortable interviewing. Personally, I am not a morning person so I scheduled an afternoon interview. I still woke up early and was actually able to go sit in on a class with my student host, which was nice. Also, I liked having lunch first b/c food is my best friend. I was able to go into my interview calm, content, and awake.

It seems more people prefer morning interviews to get it done with and to avoid the drag of being alert post-lunch. (The morning interviewees on my date were given the opportunity to sit in on a class after their interview). I personally also like the afternoon interview b/c it allows me to get a feel for the school and soak up some details to discuss in my interview.

You know yourself best and which interview time will work best for you.

I recommend afternoon interviews if you are from the West Coast because of the three hour time difference. Waking up at 7am EST (4am PST) for a 8:30am (5am PST) interview would have been a struggle for me.

Ok well no emails from them yet. I guess it looks like I won't be hearing anything before new years from them. Unless I do in the next 2 days.

I was complete with stuff since before September but my MCAT scores didn't come back til mid september and they take a month after that to get thigns to say you were complete. That's why i was complete so late. Oh well.

At least it is a sign I'm still in the running.

Not sure when I was complete and am too lazy to look back. I was also notified by email. Obviously not hearing anything at all is better than getting a pre-interview hold (AKA rejection in my book).

Status
Not open for further replies.