2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but is anyone familiar with Albany Medical Colleges early assurance program?

I know they allow this from a number of colleges associated with the medical school such as SUNY Albany but I am from a completely different school that's not associated with Albany med, so I'm not sure if you have to go to SUNY Albany to apply.

Also I have no idea if i'd have a shot for something like this. Definitely would love to go to this school one day if it were possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend afternoon interviews if you are from the West Coast because of the three hour time difference. Waking up at 7am EST (4am PST) for a 8:30am (5am PST) interview would have been a struggle for me.

God point, I am from the West Coast so afternoon it is!

God point, I am from the West Coast so afternoon it is!

From what I hear Albany discriminates against applicants who fall asleep during their interviews. Just looking out for my fellow West-Coaster :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
Is there anyone who was complete in early week of November has got an interview invite from Albany?

Does anyone know if Albany rejects anyone post-interview, or if everyone is either accepted or put on the UC list?

Thanks!

Has anyone received the acceptance packet in the mail yet? Is there a deadline to respond to an acceptance offer? I know some schools have a 2-3 week deadline.

I'm asking because I got the email acceptance on 12/16, but my mailing address is different from where I am living, so I won't be getting the packet for a while.

Has anyone received the acceptance packet in the mail yet? Is there a deadline to respond to an acceptance offer? I know some schools have a 2-3 week deadline.

I'm asking because I got the email acceptance on 12/16, but my mailing address is different from where I am living, so I won't be getting the packet for a while.

There's a two week deadline...

What is the method of response? Online form? Mail?

Also, when does the two week deadline start? From when you receive the email, or from when you receive their packet in the mail?

The earliest that I can get the packet is Monday.

Last edited:
What is the method of response? Online form? Mail?

Also, when does the two week deadline start? From when you receive the email, or from when you receive their packet in the mail?

The earliest that I can get the packet is Monday.

The method of response is mail, and the two week deadline is when you receive the packet in the mail. If you can get the packet Monday, I'm sure it will be fine. The package doesn't arrive until a few days after the email, so let's say 12/20, so as of this Monday it will have only been a week. You could always call them and let them know the situation if you're really worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
Application complete: 11/12
Got "hold" status email today (12/29)
Good luck everyone!

I believe obliquity is mistaken.

I sent in my deposit and everything. I just re-checked my packet and it says you must have your money/response sent within 5 days of when they mail it to you. Needless to say i was scared ****less when I realized i opened the letter/read all of this stuff like four days after they sent it to me. I sent it ASAP afterwards and it was fine. :thumbup:

Yes, I was indeed incorrect. The letter did say within five days. I had received another acceptance around the same time and confused the two deadlines.

:oops:Apologies!!!!:oops:

However, it does seem they are pretty lenient. I mean, it's a pretty quick turnaround. I think they just don't want you to sit around and wait.

Congrats on your interview invite, Fabio!!

Sorry to hear that you were held, AG1985. I've been complete since 10/22, not a peep.

For anyone who has been accepted and turned in the $100 deposit. Have you received any sort of confirmation of its receipt? Thanks!

Congrats on your interview invite, Fabio!!

Sorry to hear that you were held, AG1985. I've been complete since 10/22, not a peep.

Just wondering, anyone in the same boat as me, who is completed in July and has received no news?

Very nice! Did you find out by email or status check? When were you complete?

I actually have no idea when I was complete.. although I would guess it was around the middle of November. I e-mailed them my unofficial transcript with fall grades on Monday, and on Tuesday I got an email announcing their decision to interview me. Good luck to everyone else!

Hey, this may seem like a dumb question, but how do you check your application status online? I've been complete since August, haven't yet heard a word on my status, and I don't believe I've ever received any information for how to check my status online. Thanks!

Hey, this may seem like a dumb question, but how do you check your application status online? I've been complete since August, haven't yet heard a word on my status, and I don't believe I've ever received any information for how to check my status online. Thanks!

You need to find the email with the secondary invite, and log in the same way as before. The user name is your AMCAS ID and the password is a pin number that Albany provides you in the email.

Once you log in, there should be a link for application status.

Good luck!

I don't get it. My friends have higher stats then me and are better applicants then me. Yet one got rejected and another got on hold but I've yet to hear anything. Granted they took forever to put me as complete and made me complete Oct 15th even though my mcat scores came back Sept 16th and was complete with all else since August or so.

So my question is........

Do you think I'm still in the running or do you think they may have not even looked at my app??

Because Albany seems like a school that will reject people right away if they really don't want you.

If you are not on "pre-interview" hold or hold for re-review later, then you are still in the running.

I don't get it. My friends have higher stats then me and are better applicants then me. Yet one got rejected and another got on hold but I've yet to hear anything. Granted they took forever to put me as complete and made me complete Oct 15th even though my mcat scores came back Sept 16th and was complete with all else since August or so.

Do you think I'm still in the running or do you think they may have not even looked at my app??

Because Albany seems like a school that will reject people right away if they really don't want you.

I also see no reason why you wouldn't still be in the running. Some schools just take forever due to the huge volume of applicants.

Most of the schools that I applied to haven't finished (or even started) reviewing me yet. I had all materials in at most places by late September, and some have just acknowledged my application as being complete.

Like we always hear about, stats are not everything. I recently got accepted with a 3.65/33Q. My friend who interviewed the same day as me was rejected with identical stats (higher GPA/lower mcat).

I have about 4 friends who applied here, 2 got rejected and 2 are put on hold. We all sent in apps around the same time in july/august. We heard back long ago from AMC maybe 1-2 months after completion.

I loved the school and think it'd be an awesome place to go to school. Hope you get an interview! :luck:

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wow:
Yeah, I was just marked complete at Albany a couple weeks ago by status update. Einstein also took at least 3 months just to confirm my application as being complete. This happens because I applied during the busiest time for applications. Albany and Einstein both process a very large volume of applications each year.

Withdrew my app today from the "UC" list! I hope this bumps someone up a notch (although I very well could have been dead last on that list, based on my interview experience haha). Good luck to everyone and I hope they start showing some love to those still waiting for interviews as well! :thumbup:

Anyone else not heard a thing who has been complete forever? I've been complete since August, and heard nothing. It seems like a lot of 'holds' and activity are from people who applied later in the season.

Anyone else not heard a thing who has been complete forever? I've been complete since August, and heard nothing. It seems like a lot of 'holds' and activity are from people who applied later in the season.

Yeah, I've been complete since late September, and not one word else. No "hold" is a good thing.

I submitted my secondary early October and was complete mid-November.

The interview dates on the site are all Wednesdays and Thursdays in February. I read that they interview through the end of April, so I'm thinking there are still a lot of dates available. Hope this helps those who are still waiting to hear back!

Does anyone know when the under consideration / waitlist movement is supposed to get started?

Does anyone know when the under consideration / waitlist movement is supposed to get started?

May 15th is the last day that people can hold multiple acceptances. From then, adcoms may hand out acceptances to people who are on the waitlist, and those people in turn can accept or decline the offer. It's sort of a trickling effect, it happens until med school's classes are filled. I believe that you can hold one acceptance and multiple waitlist spots. Good luck!

It really depends on the season. My understanding is that after the interview, you are given a score (that you will never find out). A certain score means acceptance and if you are below that, you are placed "under consideration". As the season continues, they will begin to lower their acceptance score. So, once they lower it to your score, you will get accepted. I'm pretty sure that the way they determine when to lower the score and by how much varies a lot from season to season depending on how many applications they get, how good the score of the interviewees are, etc.

Just a quick question...does anyone know if it's possible to leave our bags in the admissions office since I'm leaving right after/taking a red-eye in (bad idea, I know)?

Thanks! And, good luck to everyone! Keep hanging in there, I know I have to, as well. :)

Just a quick question...does anyone know if it's possible to leave our bags in the admissions office since I'm leaving right after/taking a red-eye in (bad idea, I know)?

Thanks! And, good luck to everyone! Keep hanging in there, I know I have to, as well. :)

Yeah, that's fine. Plenty of people did it on my interview day.

did you guys get complete emails? mine says yes in the status but i never got a complete confirmation. i sent in everything by 9/13... no news yet. wow

did you guys get complete emails? mine says yes in the status but i never got a complete confirmation. i sent in everything by 9/13... no news yet. wow

I got this email 2 weeks after submitting, but it doesn't really seem like a "complete" email.

Dear RookTookIt:

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your certified Albany Medical
College secondary application. Additionally, this is a reminder to
check your status screen for updates, as you are ultimately
responsible for making sure that your file is complete by the Jan.
15, 2011 deadline.

Given the volume of applications and the review process we follow, it
is difficult to give an exact time as to when we will reach a
decision on your application. Please be assured that your
application will be given a thorough review by experienced members of
our Admissions Committee.

Thank you.

Joanne H. Nanos, MS, EdS
Director of Admissions and Student Records

I got this email 2 weeks after submitting, but it doesn't really seem like a "complete" email.

Dear RookTookIt:

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your certified Albany Medical
College secondary application. Additionally, this is a reminder to
check your status screen for updates, as you are ultimately
responsible for making sure that your file is complete by the Jan.
15, 2011 deadline.

Given the volume of applications and the review process we follow, it
is difficult to give an exact time as to when we will reach a
decision on your application. Please be assured that your
application will be given a thorough review by experienced members of
our Admissions Committee.

Thank you.

Joanne H. Nanos, MS, EdS
Director of Admissions and Student Records

I got this email over a month after submitting my secondary. The status check site said I was complete before that, and the email doesn't even read like a completion email.

Is anyone aware of what day of the week does AMC emails interview invitation? Or is it just random?:confused:

I received my interview invite on a Thursday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.