* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have to vent about some of the issues I've had with AACOMAS/Interfolio. All of my transcripts had been received and all except one had been scanned in and ready to go. After about a week, I emailed them asking what the hold-up was on the last transcript. I got an email stating that it would be scanned in 1 to 3 business days. So I waited. After this, I started emailing, calling, etc trying to get somebody to talk to me why my last transcript wasn't being scanned in. Finally, someone called me back stating that they had messed up and incorrectly indicated the transcript had arrived when it never had!

So then I called up the transcript office and sure enough, they had sent it. But I needed to get things going so I overnighted this transcript. Check my email this morning and I get a message from AACOMAS stating that this transcript was UNOFFICIAL and would NOT be accepted!!! Needless to say, I was a little peeved (I simply cannot afford to send things overnight). So I called the school (they were shocked) and then I emailed every email I could find regarding AACOMAS and interfolio as well as made several phone calls. Apparently they don't like being harassed liked that and were on top of the problem like flies on stink. They apologized for the SNAFU and have indicated that they will upload the transcript shortly.

Moral of the story: keep an eye on your stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah! Did a search and cant find the answer. So for semester hours...if lets say I got a B+ in Gen chem which is worth 4 credits, for semester hours do I enter 4.0? 3.3? Also what is this prefix, suffix, stuff. Is it for like gen chem so I can say chem 1 chem 2. What about classes that dont have prefixes, Like english. Do I enter 0?

is there anyway to see your gpa on your application? i know i could see it before I submitted, but I cant find it anywhere on my application now...i know i'm probably missing something really simple here. haha

I can't find it either :(

If nowhere else, you can click the PDF next to the schools you applied to and see them there.
There's no PDF next to the schools I applied to.. maybe because I haven't been "released"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah! Did a search and cant find the answer. So for semester hours...if lets say I got a B+ in Gen chem which is worth 4 credits, for semester hours do I enter 4.0? 3.3? Also what is this prefix, suffix, stuff. Is it for like gen chem so I can say chem 1 chem 2. What about classes that dont have prefixes, Like english. Do I enter 0?

For semester hours put 4.0 if the class was worth 4 hours

For grade, put B+

All of your classes have a prefix and course number. Look on your transcript.

For Chemistry, your prefix should be CHM or CHEM or something similar.
Your course number will follow. CHM 112 or 101 or 222. Don't include your section number.

The same goes for English.

ENG or ENGL, etc. and 101, or 131 or 421 or whatever. Enter the number that goes with the course that appears on your transcript.

I can't find it either :(

There's no PDF next to the schools I applied to.. maybe because I haven't been "released"?

You will not be able to see your GPA until your application has been released to schools. Once its verified and released, you will be able to click on the date of release (it will look something like this 6/6/10) which will bring up a .pdf file. This will have your gpa calculated a variety of different ways.

Actually you can see your gpa. Add your courses. Then exit out. Then log back in and click on colleges, and it will list ur calculated sgpa and gpa per university.

Actually you can see your gpa. Add your courses. Then exit out. Then log back in and click on colleges, and it will list ur calculated sgpa and gpa per university.

After submitting that option disappears. It turns into a list of your classes with grades. The only way to see after submitting is to go into the PDFs that were submitted to the schools.

If something goes wrong (God Frobid) and you have to re submit, do you have to pay the fee again?

If something goes wrong (God Frobid) and you have to re submit, do you have to pay the fee again?

No, that would be ridiculous lol If something goes wrong they have you submit again and as long as you don't add any more schools there is no charge.

Dear AACOMAS,
I have played by your rules and sent everything you need early and multiple times. It is not my fault your internal mail system is likely arsebackwards and archaic resulting in your losing them. Annoyed condescension from your parties is unnecessary.
OKthxbye.

Hello! I have a question:

I'm retaking the MCAT on Aug 5 and won't get my scores released until mid-Sept. Does anyone know if the COMs will process now and wait for my new scores before "reviewing my file" OR will they wait until everything is together and THEN process it? I've already submitted my secondaries and LORs to the COMs and am just wondering how this will pan out later.

This sucks because I was really hoping to take advantage of being an early applicant, but I feel like I lost that advantage. :( Wish I hadn't bomb my first MCAT....

Im really confused on entering in the courses. i was on a quarter system that divided courses into units... like typically one class was 4 units. how does this translate into semester hours? ive looked everywhere and i cant find the conversion!
Thanks for your help!

I thought my application was being processed, but i just checked on it, and they STILL don't have my transcripts. I called my University and the transcript was sent out 6/28. I would think they would have processed it over two weeks later...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought my application was being processed, but i just checked on it, and they STILL don't have my transcripts. I called my University and the transcript was sent out 6/28. I would think they would have processed it over two weeks later...

Same thing happened to me. More than likely, they lost it somewhere. Resend it and keep an eye on your application.

I was a camp counselor for a week at a sleep away camp for diabetic children. I was on call every night and slept in their cabin, and had to wake up every two hours to test all of their blood sugars while they slept to make sure nothing happened to them during the night. For number of hours on my app should I do 24 X7=168, since I was taking care of them 24/7?

Also I shadowed/volunteered at SUNY. Do I put it as two separate activities....I did a little of both each day

i got verified this week. The release date appears next to the school and I can click on the application to see what they got. Anyone know where the cum gpa, non science and science gpa are indicated?

Does anyone know any DOs who are willing to have students shadow them in the Indianapolis area? I have called so many offices and I have not gotten any responses!

So I was looking over my coursework and I can't figure out how the following situation works.

First Attempt
Bio I Lecture: F - 4cr
Bio I Lab: F - 1cr

Retake
Bio I: A - 4 cr

Okay so I retook the class and did well. But the first attempt I received two grades equaling 5cr (4cr for lecture, 1cr for lab). The second one was 4cr but lab was included at the school. These are different schools obviously.

So what happens with this? Does the Bio I Lab stay put or is it thrown out? I am assuming that only the lecture portion is replaced and my original lab grade stays put.

Is it best to add contact info under the activities/work/volunteer section?

Also should I group shadowing experiences together?

Last edited:
Is it best to add contact info under the activities/work/volunteer section?

Also should I group shadowing experiences together?

I did just because it made it easier to read instead of listing them separately also both doctors happened to work in the same hospital.

As for listing, I put the person in charge and the facility but no address/phone number info.

Hi guys,

I am having a headache choosing which schools to apply to. Is there a site that any of you know that might help me out? like which schools usually don't accept out of state students and stuff like that.

and do you know how much it is to apply to each school?

Thank you,

Hey guys....tried searching and posting in the post bac forum, but can't seem to find an answer. I haven't started my post-bac yet but listed the program and the courses I will be taking on my AACOMAS application. As a result, AACOMAS is automatically asking for transcripts from the university, which is a bit difficult since I haven't started classes yet and will not have grades until December. What did you guys do? I just don't want to slow the process down by having AACOMAS wait for transcripts that I simply don't have.

Do I have to request a transcript exemption and then contact the post-bac program and have them send a letter to AACOMAS?

Thanks.

Hey guys....tried searching and posting in the post bac forum, but can't seem to find an answer. I haven't started my post-bac yet but listed the program and the courses I will be taking on my AACOMAS application. As a result, AACOMAS is automatically asking for transcripts from the university, which is a bit difficult since I haven't started classes yet and will not have grades until December. What did you guys do? I just don't want to slow the process down by having AACOMAS wait for transcripts that I simply don't have.

Do I have to request a transcript exemption and then contact the post-bac program and have them send a letter to AACOMAS?

Thanks.

That is probably your best option. I'd contact AACOMAS and tell them that you will not start courses until Fall and that you cannot provide a transcript until then. I don't see why they would delay your application like that.

Hi guys,

I am having a headache choosing which schools to apply to. Is there a site that any of you know that might help me out? like which schools usually don't accept out of state students and stuff like that.

and do you know how much it is to apply to each school?

Thank you,

OUCOM, OSUCOM, TCOM are state schools and accept few OOS.

NYCOM, UMDNJ-COM both accept mostly in-state but aren't as bad as the previous three (although that didn't deter me).

MSUCOM and WVU are both state schools as well but accept OOS more regularly than the other 3 state but offset it with obscenely high tuition for OOS students.

VCOM prefers students from the appalachian region. PCOM schools unofficially seem to favor students from around the areas.

PNWU is heavily regional, make sure you look at that before deciding to submit their $175 secondary application.

Might be missing something but I think I covered it all off the top of my head

Hey,

I submitted my application 3 days ago and I was wondering if I am able to go in and change anything in my EC's. I noticed I made an error and need to change it. I am able to go in there and change it but is that alright to do?

NYCOM, UMDNJ-COM both accept mostly in-state but aren't as bad as the previous three (although that didn't deter me).

UMDNJ-SOM is actually very liberal when it comes to accepting OOS students. The reason why the perception emerged that SOM didn't accept many OOS applicants is that until 2009 all OOS students could legally become NJ in-state residents before they matriculated into med school. Thus, sources like US News and World Report generally listed SOM as being "99% in-state" - which, in fact, is rather misleading.

The applicant evaluation process at SOM involves entering all applicants' GPAs, MCAT scores, etc into a "grid" that assigns a certain number of points to each applicant's attributes. Applicant ECs, rec letters, etc are all rated and then entered into the aforementioned "grid" as well. If your overall "grid score" is above a certain cutoff, you will essentially be accepted regardless of your interview performance. (The interview serves more to bolster the committee's view of the applicant if his/her overall grid score doesn't hit the cutoff.) The applicant's state of residence carries barely any weight in the grid and thus has little effect on acceptance.

UMDNJ-SOM is actually very liberal when it comes to accepting OOS students. The reason why the perception emerged that SOM didn't accept many OOS applicants is that until 2009 all OOS students could legally become NJ in-state residents before they matriculated into med school. Thus, sources like US News and World Report generally listed SOM as being "99% in-state" - which, in fact, is rather misleading.

The applicant evaluation process at SOM involves entering all applicants' GPAs, MCAT scores, etc into a "grid" that assigns a certain number of points to each applicant's attributes. Applicant ECs, rec letters, etc are all rated and then entered into the aforementioned "grid" as well. If your overall "grid score" is above a certain cutoff, you will essentially be accepted regardless of your interview performance. (The interview serves more to bolster the committee's view of the applicant if his/her overall grid score doesn't hit the cutoff.) The applicant's state of residence carries barely any weight in the grid and thus has little effect on acceptance.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. Although their admissions website does say that they accept 80% from Jersey with 75% of those from south Jersey or something like that. I wasn't aware that you could get NJ residency before beginning school though.

I starting applying to DO schools last year but never finished the application. I did however submit my mcat scores to them. I finished and submitted my application this year. I also re took the mcat and did worse then previously ...am I required to send those scores to aacomas or can I just leave the higher score that the aacomas has from last year?

I starting applying to DO schools last year but never finished the application. I did however submit my mcat scores to them. I finished and submitted my application this year. I also re took the mcat and did worse then previously ...am I required to send those scores to aacomas or can I just leave the higher score that the aacomas has from last year?

You are required to send all scores. If you don't and a school accepts you they have the right to revoke when they see your full score report due to not having full disclosure. Don't risk it, just send the scores.

My major is Wellness/Fitness and Sport Management

Some of my courses are Sports Nutrition and Functional Kinesiology. Per the AACOMAS instructions these courses are science courses included in my sciGPA.

What about classes like:
Current Health Issues
Sports Medicine Research
Issues in Healthcare
Issues in Health Education
Fitness and Wellness courses

I am not sure where these go exactly.

Hey guys!

So I just started my AACOMAS (was working on other apps), and to my relief it seems to be going much much faster than the TMDSAS! I actually think I can finish this thing today.

I have a couple questions however...

1. Since there are no asteriks in the Family section, do I have to fill that out or can I check the box at the bottom?

2. In TMDSAS, there are separate categories for leadership, research, healthcare, community service... etc, but I only see one section for all of this on AACOMAS. Do we really put all this information under this one section? I'd end up with 20+ entries...

3. For the scholarships section, I see there is no description box available. So if I want to put in the Dean's list, do I need to submit it multiple times? Or just put Dean's List, and they'll see the semesters on my transcript.?

4. For the descriptions, do the have to be complete sentences or just whatever is clear/concise?

5. For Position Titles... if I was just a volunteer at a hospital or something, what should I put? Some of the activities really don't have official titles.

6. If I had multiple leadership positions in an organization, should I put Leadership as the position title, and list them in the description?

I apologize for all the questions.... the AACOMAS is layout is much nicer than TMDSAS, but the activities/work/EC section is kinda confusing on how to fill it out.

THANK YOU ALL!

Last edited:
Anyone know the wait time for AACOMAS verification right now? Last year I submitted mid Aug and it took two months to the day and I'm hoping that applying early July will cut that down at least a week or two. Please let me know :)

Well, since you bumped this, I suppose I'll respond. Not to be mean, but I think most of these questions were answered already. Although I totally understand missing something in this giant thread and just wanting to fill out your app. :)

Hey guys!

So I just started my AACOMAS (was working on other apps), and to my relief it seems to be going much much faster than the TMDSAS! I actually think I can finish this thing today.

I have a couple questions however...

1. Since there are no asteriks in the Family section, do I have to fill that out or can I check the box at the bottom? I don't know. I just filled it out. It's not that long.

2. In TMDSAS, there are separate categories for leadership, research, healthcare, community service... etc, but I only see one section for all of this on AACOMAS. Do we really put all this information under this one section? I'd end up with 20+ entries... Yes.

3. For the scholarships section, I see there is no description box available. So if I want to put in the Dean's list, do I need to submit it multiple times? Or just put Dean's List, and they'll see the semesters on my transcript.? You can either list it multiple times or just put something like "Deans list - 6 semesters). Somebody posted that they called and were told it was ok to list it multiple times, but I thought that was overkill for something they can see on my transcript anyway and just put it all in one.

4. For the descriptions, do the have to be complete sentences or just whatever is clear/concise? I think it's up to you.

5. For Position Titles... if I was just a volunteer at a hospital or something, what should I put? Some of the activities really don't have official titles. I just put "volunteer" for my volunteering. Just pick something that you think fits.

6. If I had multiple leadership positions in an organization, should I put Leadership as the position title, and list them in the description? If you want. Another option would be to put the most important (ie: President) and then in the description write your other responsibilities.

I apologize for all the questions.... the AACOMAS is layout is much nicer than TMDSAS, but the activities/work/EC section is kinda confusing on how to fill it out.

THANK YOU ALL!

I apologize if the questions were already answered. Thank you though for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it.

I know this question should go under "What are my Chances", but I was wondering how DO schools examine leadership. I have well over 2000 hours of college leadership, over 700 hours of science tutoring/TA-ing, some good community service mentoring/tutoring local kids.... The only problem is I have only ~160 hours of clinical volunteering (in a hospital)... and about 40 hours volunteering with cerebral palsy patients.

I know the more the better, but will schools not like the fact I have little clinical experience because I devoted this time to leadership and community service?

cGPA - 3.60
sGPA - 3.57
MCAT - 27N

Thanks.

I apologize if the questions were already answered. Thank you though for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it.

I know this question should go under "What are my Chances", but I was wondering how DO schools examine leadership. I have well over 2000 hours of college leadership, over 700 hours of science tutoring/TA-ing, some good community service mentoring/tutoring local kids.... The only problem is I have only ~160 hours of clinical volunteering (in a hospital)... and about 40 hours volunteering with cerebral palsy patients.

I know the more the better, but will schools not like the fact I have little clinical experience because I devoted this time to leadership and community service?

cGPA - 3.60
sGPA - 3.57
MCAT - 27N

Thanks.

I think that's a pretty good amount of volunteering, although someone posted on here that someone from KCOM (I think) spoke at a premed event and they want about 250.

It's good you have the clinical experience, but have you shadowed any physicians yet?

EDIT - I just saw that you had non-clinical volunteering too. From my understanding, the 250 hrs included all kinds of volunteering so I think you are good. 200 hrs of clinical experience is great, just get some shadowing.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a problem with AACOMAS not showing MCAT scores? In the status section it says "No MCATs" but then when I go under the MCAT section on the application, it has my MCAT scores listed. WTF?

Hey again,

I apologize for all the questions... but I do very much appreciate all the help I've been getting on these forums.

When entering work/activities/ECs... let's say laboratory TA-ing. For position title I put Laboratory Teacher Assistant. What do I put for Organization (since it's a required field).

Also, would this be sufficient for a description?

Introduction to Chemistry Lab - 1 semester (~3 hours/week)
General Chemistry I Lab - 2 semesters (~3 hours/week)
General Chemistry II Lab - 1 semester (~4 hours/week)
General Biology II Lab - 3 semesters (~3 hours/week)

General Biology III Lab - 2 semesters (~4 hours/week)

Hosted review sessions and created review guides for laboratory exams for all of the above laboratories (~2 hours each session).

Or should I elaborate on what I did for each (doing this would exceed the word limit definitley).

Lastly... when entering descriptions, do adding spaces actually show up when the adcoms read it? Or is it like TMDSAS where any spaces you add are deleted, and all your sentences are clumped together in 1 paragraph automatically?

I'm planning on submitting tomorrow. I'm SO NERVOUS AHHHH!

Thank you!!

Hey again,

I apologize for all the questions... but I do very much appreciate all the help I've been getting on these forums.

When entering work/activities/ECs... let's say laboratory TA-ing. For position title I put Laboratory Teacher Assistant. What do I put for Organization (since it's a required field).

Hosted review sessions and created review guides for laboratory exams for all of the above laboratories (~2 hours each session).

Or should I elaborate on what I did for each (doing this would exceed the word limit definitley).

Lastly... when entering descriptions, do adding spaces actually show up when the adcoms read it? Or is it like TMDSAS where any spaces you add are deleted, and all your sentences are clumped together in 1 paragraph automatically?

Thank you!!

I also have an additional question... when entering course work, do we include labs as a separate entry, even if it was worth 0 hours (part of the lecture)

Thanks

Hey again,

Thank you!!

I also have an additional question... when entering course work, do we include labs as a separate entry, even if it was worth 0 hours (part of the lecture)

Thanks
I believe the organization would be the name of the school. Your description sounds clear and consice to me.

I'm not sure about the spaces.

I entered in all my lab courses that were 0 credits since they were on my transcript. They were all just P/F.

How long does verification take? I submitted my primary on July 15.

Quick question guys,

How do ya'll think it looks to adcoms if they see no work experience? I technically have quite a bit, as a TA/tutor for over 500 hours, and manager of my parents' coffee shop. But I did all this voluntarily because I enjoyed doing it, so will adcoms see that I technically have work experience, or be disappointed that I didn't.

I guess what's freaking me out is having no entries under it lol. Is this okay?

MCAT was so-so in May. Took it again two weeks ago and think it went much better. Can I submit to a single school that I only kind of wish to go to now and add my new MCAT score to my application at a later date? At which point, I'll add more schools I'm applying to? Or is that part of the application locked? Thanks for your help.

Quick question guys,

How do ya'll think it looks to adcoms if they see no work experience? I technically have quite a bit, as a TA/tutor for over 500 hours, and manager of my parents' coffee shop. But I did all this voluntarily because I enjoyed doing it, so will adcoms see that I technically have work experience, or be disappointed that I didn't.

I guess what's freaking me out is having no entries under it lol. Is this okay?

If you did in "voluntarily" then it is volunteer work and you can put it under the EC/Volunteer section.

I think volunteering at a coffee shop would actually be better than having a paid job at a coffee shop as far as med school applications go.