* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
first off, amcas is the allopathic application service. osteopathic is aacomas. secondly, aacomas uses BCP and not math. thirdly, psychology and all forms of it do not fall under BCP. lastly, if the endocrinology and animal physiology fell under the biology department (where these classes that would count towards a biology major) then you should be ok. if they fell under a vocational program (animal health science, i don't know, something like that) then no they won't help you.

Members don't see this ad.

hey thanks for the reply. and sorry about posting in more than one thread. definitely wont do that in the future

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiology and pharmacology = BCPM. It doesn't matter that they are psychological in origin. It however is more science orientated then a social psychology course and could be passed off as neuroscience which is biology.

I have to retake an Ochem class (part C of a A-B-C series) but I couldn't get into the class for this summer but I'm pretty sure I can get into a class called "Organic reactions and Pharmaceuticals" would that count as a repeat?

I feel like it might not because it's not part of the series or an equivalent class but I'm scared I won't get into the class. I've been trying for the past year to get into the class and I haven't been able to get in, too many freshman bio majors! So I'm trying to think of what I should do if worse comes to worse.

Any idea what I should do from here?

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah I also have the same problem for cell bio which I have a D in :( if I do more upper div bio and do well in them, am I kind of ok? I hate not being able to get into classes!

Last edited:
o man i hope your right. but i dont know what to think now. I just sent an email to my health professions office at my school but i have a feeling they're gonna say the same thing: psychology courses are not science courses (even though both classes were heavily scienced based)

there's all this leeway i keep reading about that even if they reply with that answer, I'm still not sure if it's absolute. I definitely don't want to delay my application because of gpa miscalculations

I have to retake an Ochem class (part C of a A-B-C series) but I couldn't get into the class for this summer but I'm pretty sure I can get into a class called "Organic reactions and Pharmaceuticals" would that count as a repeat?

I feel like it might not because it's not part of the series or an equivalent class but I'm scared I won't get into the class. I've been trying for the past year to get into the class and I haven't been able to get in, too many freshman bio majors! So I'm trying to think of what I should do if worse comes to worse.

Any idea what I should do from here?

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah I also have the same problem for cell bio which I have a D in :( if I do more upper div bio and do well in them, am I kind of ok? I hate not being able to get into classes!

If it's from the same institution, you're going to have to retake the exact same class for it to count as a retake.

If it's from a different institution, it's up to whoever reviews your application. Generally they expect the course # to be different since it's from a different school but the name should be the same. In your specific case about organic chemistry, they might ask you for evidence (course catalog) or whatnot to prove that the course is the same level/same thing as the one you took at your previous institution. (shrugs) They might let it go but I'd realistically say they won't allow it as a "retake" for your organic chemistry. Orgo is offered at all 4 year universities and the class name you cited is quite different..

For Cell Biology, my advice is to take an equivalent if you wish to remove the D on your transcript. Taking upper division that isn't the equivalent class is not a bad idea afterwards to show an upward trend.

o man i hope your right. but i dont know what to think now. I just sent an email to my health professions office at my school but i have a feeling they're gonna say the same thing: psychology courses are not science courses (even though both classes were heavily scienced based)

there's all this leeway i keep reading about that even if they reply with that answer, I'm still not sure if it's absolute. I definitely don't want to delay my application because of gpa miscalculations

I was heavily under the impression that all psychology courses fell under behavioral science

OK, I have entered the 8 digit ID number that AAMC has supplied me during registration of the mcat, so that AACOMAS can find it, however it isn't showing that it has my official MCAT scores. Although they will be released in 7 days and they haven't come out yet, I am wondering will it show that it has your scores before you are verified or after? When does aacomas confirm that it has recieved your scores and how does it notify you/tell you on your application? Prior to verifcation and while you are bieng processed will it only show the unofficial scores you have entered?

If it's from the same institution, you're going to have to retake the exact same class for it to count as a retake.

If it's from a different institution, it's up to whoever reviews your application. Generally they expect the course # to be different since it's from a different school but the name should be the same. In your specific case about organic chemistry, they might ask you for evidence (course catalog) or whatnot to prove that the course is the same level/same thing as the one you took at your previous institution. (shrugs) They might let it go but I'd realistically say they won't allow it as a "retake" for your organic chemistry. Orgo is offered at all 4 year universities and the class name you cited is quite different..

For Cell Biology, my advice is to take an equivalent if you wish to remove the D on your transcript. Taking upper division that isn't the equivalent class is not a bad idea afterwards to show an upward trend.

Thanks for the response.

I called Western to ask their take about this and they said it probably won't count as a retake but they might average the score if they're similar. Weird. I didn't know they did that. I assume different schools would look at this differently.

This class will cost ~$600 would it be a good idea to take it? or probably not worth the money?

I applied for Optometry School last cycle and eventually decided it wasn't for me. However, while applying I spent a great deal of time shadowing Optometrists and volunteering in offices. Would this shadowing time be worth mentioning in my Extra Curriculars even though it wasn't with a medical doctor?

I applied for Optometry School last cycle and eventually decided it wasn't for me. However, while applying I spent a great deal of time shadowing Optometrists and volunteering in offices. Would this shadowing time be worth mentioning in my Extra Curriculars even though it wasn't with a medical doctor?

Worth putting down as a past E.C. but not worth elaborating much on.

If it's something you have spent significant hours doing, I would simply type in the description of what you did, interactions with optometrists etc., and leave it at that.

You can touch on it in your PS about how you used this as motivation for you to turn to medicine by exploring other professions in healthcare and spending significant time, allowing you to determine what is right and wrong for you.

Thanks for the response.

I called Western to ask their take about this and they said it probably won't count as a retake but they might average the score if they're similar. Weird. I didn't know they did that. I assume different schools would look at this differently.

This class will cost ~$600 would it be a good idea to take it? or probably not worth the money?

If it counts towards BCPM and you have a troubled academic past as it seems, you can reason it out in your mind if you think it'll be worth it. I doubt it would make much of a difference by itself in improving your GPA but if you feel it is a challenging course and you can be successful in the class, it might help to try to establish an upward trend in your most recent grades. It's really up to you depending on how you think you'll do in the class/how much you think it will reflect on your application and how much the cost is in relation to what you are willing to afford.

Different schools may view it differently but for most purposes, schools will look at whatever AACOMAS gives them. They take all your pre-reqs and display it on a preliminary page along with all your grades and your GPA stats in both cGPA, sGPA, post bacc, and graduate. All of your coursework is then listed somewhere in the back along with the Last Repeat, Repeated, etc. I think the biggest problem for you is getting AACOMAS to agree on w/e definition you are trying to convince them to accept.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another quickie:

How do you enter classes that you are currently taking and have yet to complete? (my school year ends in mid June) Didn't see anything mentioning that under the section in the instructions where it goes over classification of classes.

Nevermind.

When you add a term, it does this for you. I'm just a *****.

Last edited:
Where on earth do we input our journal publications on the AACOMAS?

I would presume either extracurriculars or the academic awards section. There aren't any instructions for it in the .pdf, so I'm curious about this as well.

I asked this question in another thread and haven't got answer yet either. I am discussing my research in the work (paid) and EC (unpaid) sections and listing pubs in the description section.

I'm just wondering if all the EC's we use in our application have to be current/in-progress.

My 'dilemma' is that I volunteered in the long term care unit of a hospital helping feed patients for about 3/4 of a year. I would say this counts as patient-oriented/clinical experience. Problem is, I did this way back when ribbed/v-neck/stretchy black shirts were still in style...circa 2001.

I have other in-progess clinical experience, but I feel the above experience in particular shows the more humane side of me.

Thoughts? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:?

I'm just wondering if all the EC's we use in our application have to be current/in-progress.

My 'dilemma' is that I volunteered in the long term care unit of a hospital helping feed patients for about 3/4 of a year. I would say this counts as patient-oriented/clinical experience. Problem is, I did this way back when ribbed/v-neck/stretchy black shirts were still in style...circa 2001.

I have other in-progess clinical experience, but I feel the above experience in particular shows the more humane side of me.

If you really don't have similar experience that are more recent, i don't see a problem for listing it in yoru ECs. Just don't expect a LoR from this experience to be valid or useful.

If you really don't have similar experience that are more recent, i don't see a problem for listing it in yoru ECs. Just don't expect a LoR from this experience to be valid or useful.

cool...thanks a bunch!

If you are planning to take a pre-req but have not taken it yet, will you still be verified if you list the class as "planned" on AACOMAS?

I didn't list any pubs in my primary application. Almost all of the secondaries either give you a section for listing pubs and/or ask for a CV (where you'd obviously list them).

It doesn't make a lot of sense to list them under the categories given since a publication isn't exactly an award (although you may certainly feel that way after making it through several rounds with the reviewers) and it isn't really an extracurricular activity (though it is a by-product of them).

Now in the sections for work experience and extracurricular, where appropriate, I think I put in a sentence about writing up results for publication. I don't think pubs aren't going to be a make or break for the primary app--you're really just being screened for GPA/MCAT at that stage. Just putting them in the secondary seemed to work out fine for me.

So just wondering, what is everyone putting in their description section for their experiences? Are you just saying what you did? Or are you mentioning why it is important to you, how it affected you, why you think it was a good EC, etc? This is my first application cycle and I'm just confused if I should keep these simple and brief or give some expanation.

I listed my publications in the work experience section and listed my laboratory work as the "Work experience". Then for the description I put a brief couple of sentences that said something like - I worked in a microbiology laboratory doing ... My work in this lab resulted in the following publications:

Pub 1

pub 2...

This worked well for me.

I didn't list any pubs in my primary application. Almost all of the secondaries either give you a section for listing pubs and/or ask for a CV (where you'd obviously list them).

It doesn't make a lot of sense to list them under the categories given since a publication isn't exactly an award (although you may certainly feel that way after making it through several rounds with the reviewers) and it isn't really an extracurricular activity (though it is a by-product of them).

Now in the sections for work experience and extracurricular, where appropriate, I think I put in a sentence about writing up results for publication. I don't think pubs aren't going to be a make or break for the primary app--you're really just being screened for GPA/MCAT at that stage. Just putting them in the secondary seemed to work out fine for me.

I wouldnt count on this.. There are some schools who have secondaries that consist of nothing but an essay prompt or two (i think PCOM was one of them)

Good Luck on your apps this year guys/gals...

So just wondering, what is everyone putting in their description section for their experiences? Are you just saying what you did? Or are you mentioning why it is important to you, how it affected you, why you think it was a good EC, etc? This is my first application cycle and I'm just confused if I should keep these simple and brief or give some expanation.

I used the recommendations found here for this upcoming cycle:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202513

Even though they are recommendations for AMCAS and not AACOMAS, I can't imagine it being much different. You have even less space to write on AAMCAS so trying to get too much in will be difficult. I stuck to what was important, what the experiences were. If there is anything particularly meaningful I will include it in the personal statement or secondary essays. Keep in mind you will also get asked about ECs in open file interviews. I tried to write too much last year and I feel like it came off as disengenuous. I honestly wish my school would have had pre-med advisors; my application last year was misguided, late and overall just poorly conceived and I feel that it hurt my chances a great deal.

Even though they are recommendations for AMCAS and not AACOMAS, I can't imagine it being much different. You have even less space to write on AAMCAS so trying to get too much in will be difficult. I stuck to what was important, what the experiences were. If there is anything particularly meaningful I will include it in the personal statement or secondary essays. Keep in mind you will also get asked about ECs in open file interviews. I tried to write too much last year and I feel like it came off as disengenuous. I honestly wish my school would have had pre-med advisors; my application last year was misguided, late and overall just poorly conceived and I feel that it hurt my chances a great deal.

Very informative link, thanks!

Perfect, thanks!!

I listed my publications in the work experience section and listed my laboratory work as the "Work experience". Then for the description I put a brief couple of sentences that said something like - I worked in a microbiology laboratory doing ... My work in this lab resulted in the following publications:

Pub 1

pub 2...

This worked well for me.

I wouldnt count on this.. There are some schools who have secondaries that consist of nothing but an essay prompt or two (i think PCOM was one of them)

Good Luck on your apps this year guys/gals...

This makes the most sense. List your lab work as an EC and in the description list the publication. I was just concerned with how brief the AACOMAS descriptions need to be.

I honestly wish my school would have had pre-med advisors; my application last year was misguided, late and overall just poorly conceived and I feel that it hurt my chances a great deal.

Would you mind explaining what you meant by "misguided"? I'm a non-trad and don't have an example to follow either, so I was just curious what you did and/or how you are doing it differently.

Thanks! :oops:

Would you mind explaining what you meant by "misguided"? I'm a non-trad and don't have an example to follow either, so I was just curious what you did and/or how you are doing it differently.

Thanks! :oops:

Well, for examples. I waited to submit my application until after my MCAT scores was out, I was slow completing secondary applications meticulously writing and rewriting different essays for each and every school leading to me having my first secondary submitted (not even complete) on the 30th of september, my first complete in Mid October. My LORs were late, I didn't follow through with some applications until December or even later, which with my stats was not at all good.

Other than timing, I didn't write up my extracirriculars properly, like I said before, they sounded insincere for what I did write. I also left off community service hours (10 months total, 3 different 3/4 month experiences) that I deemed irrelevant because they weren't clinical, leaving my only volunteer hours as a year I did doing research in a lab. I also left off things such as sports (both IM and club) and conferences because I again, deemed them irrelevant in my mind.

I applied broadly, but too broadly in that I didn't actually want to go to some schools, or even finish the application because I just felt they were useless, waste of money. I applied to schools that I had absolutely no chance of getting into (ie Hawaii) and I didnt' do enough research into schools I actually had an outside shot of getting into (EVMS, Tufts, Tulane, etc.) that accepted lower stats or weighed the MCAT enough to overcome a less than stellar GPA.

So ya, there are some examples of things NOT to do. I'd say be prepared, read over the advice given here, if you have questions don't be afraid to ask. I'm undoubtedly going to get asked why my application suddenly has 3 community service activities, a club sport, conferences and such that all happened before my application but its not because I'm making things up, its simply because my application last year was sloppy and incomplete. Make sure the schools you apply to are places you could see yourself going and make sure you finish the secondaries that you are given; don't make the same mistakes I did.

:thumbup::thumbup: ShinyDome

Thats exactly what I did for one of my research publications.

I had another clinical study published, and I added that as its own separate thing in the EC's

I'm filling out my college and coursework portion of the application and I wanted to know if Anthrobiology is considered a science course? The class title was "Nutrition and Evolution" and that was exactly what the course was about, but I don't want there to be any problems. Also, what about biopsychology, this course was pretty much all science based, but psychology according to the list falls under behavioral sciences? Thanks a lot.

I'm filling out my college and coursework portion of the application and I wanted to know if Anthrobiology is considered a science course? The class title was "Nutrition and Evolution" and that was exactly what the course was about, but I don't want there to be any problems. Also, what about biopsychology, this course was pretty much all science based, but psychology according to the list falls under behavioral sciences? Thanks a lot.

was the biopsych course more neurology or psych? if its psych than put it under BESS. What about the nutrition course? it may fall under science. Be prepared to provide syllabus to show if they don't process with those or they question it.

also if anyone knows, i took the mcat april 10th but can't seem to find the ID number of the test that I took to have aacomas look for my mcat. would I have to contact AAMC direct. I can't seem to find it on the website, however I am registered for the exam again, maybe thats not letting me see the last ID number for the April 10th test?
You can find that number on the mcat registration site. It begins with a 1.

OK, I have entered the 8 digit ID number that AAMC has supplied me during registration of the mcat, so that AACOMAS can find it, however it isn't showing that it has my official MCAT scores. Although they will be released in 7 days and they haven't come out yet, I am wondering will it show that it has your scores before you are verified or after? When does aacomas confirm that it has recieved your scores and how does it notify you/tell you on your application? Prior to verifcation and while you are bieng processed will it only show the unofficial scores you have entered?
It only takes them a week to update your mcat scores, once they receive them at aacomas. Your home page will show "official mcat scores", so you'll know when it is in. So, it should be there before your application is verified and out the door.

Another quickie:

How do you enter classes that you are currently taking and have yet to complete? (my school year ends in mid June) Didn't see anything mentioning that under the section in the instructions where it goes over classification of classes.

Nevermind.

When you add a term, it does this for you. I'm just a *****.
there will be a section that says something like "pending or in progress". so submit those classes, send in your transcript now, then update it after the class is complete. But it will show up on your transcript w/o the grade, so make sure it is on your aacomas when you send it off june 1st.

include it!!!! i don't think those things have a time limit on them. they show a genuine interest to be of service to others!

Based on those course names, I'm guessing you to go UM (BBCS)?

Anyway -

Nutrition and evo = Anthro
Biopsych = Bio/Neurosci (if there's a listing for that, I can't access AACOM's site right now), either way it's science.

What is the etiquette on sending in transcripts? I havent submitted, will submit probably around June 1, but should I go ahead and have my transcripts sent without submitting yet, or should I wait about the same time?

Thanks guys

What is the etiquette on sending in transcripts? I havent submitted, will submit probably around June 1, but should I go ahead and have my transcripts sent without submitting yet, or should I wait about the same time?

Thanks guys
I also have the same question. Can we submit the transcript before submitting the application on June 1.

I filled my 2011 application. when I go to view application summary, i do not see the subjects.
It just shows the headings
Institution Name Year Term Prefix and Number Course Seme Hours Grade AACOMAS Grade

and there are no subjects are shown below this heading.

also when entering the subjects, do I have to enter the AACOMAS grade(last column)?

Last edited:
Are computer programing classes under "other science" or "non science" or "science" in the AACOMAS application?

Letters are considered part of the secondary application.
Most secondaries are automatic. You will usually get it a few days after you get the email that they have received your primary app.
No. You don't have to send transcripts to each school. AACOMAS verifies your transcripts for them. LORs, yes... you have to have those sent to each school.
All letters of recommendation you want to try to get in ASAP. I have known of people getting interviewed without them, but their decision was pending on them.
Biggest thing. get your transcripts to AACOMAS as soon as you can. You want to get verified as soon as possible. Everything else will fall into place. OOOH.... be ready to hit the send button June 1.:scared:
Good Luck!!!! and Good Luck to all of us 2015 applicants!!!! scary stuff:xf:

What about NRN nursing courses. What should those be listed as? "other sciences?"

i also have the same question. Can we submit the transcript before submitting the application on june 1.

I filled my 2011 application. When i go to view application summary, i do not see the subjects.
It just shows the headings
institution name year term prefix and number course seme hours grade aacomas grade

and there are no subjects are shown below this heading.

Also when entering the subjects, do i have to enter the aacomas grade(last column)?
yes, submit transcripts as soon as you can, even if it is before june 1. You can print the transcript request form and send them off. I tried to send mine befor may 3rd and got the email stating that they could not be sent until after that date. So i had to re-send. I'm a little anxious. :)
to be honest you can even have your lors sent, just put your aacomas id on those and they should get them. It's like getting everyone to meet at the party, some you have to tell to come early to be on time....... Lol lol lol

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

yes, submit transcripts as soon as you can, even if it is before june 1. You can print the transcript request form and send them off. I tried to send mine befor may 3rd and got the email stating that they could not be sent until after that date. So i had to re-send. I'm a little anxious. :)
to be honest you can even have your lors sent, just put your aacomas id on those and they should get them. It's like getting everyone to meet at the party, some you have to tell to come early to be on time....... Lol lol lol

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't suggest sending LORs before a school gets your primary application. There are countless stories of schools essentially losing them because there is not a file yet with your application. AMCAS is a different story because you use them as your letter service but for the purposes of AACOMAS it'd be easier just to have them all on interfolio ready to send the day you have your primary submitted, many schools are electronically sent now too so they will arrive in 24 hrs and just have to be filed by the school

Are computer programing classes under "other science" or "non science" or "science" in the AACOMAS application?
I never took any, but my guess is that it's non-science. Even if the class is technically a computer science course, I don't think it gets included in other science. I think other science mainly includes classes like psychology? If all else fails, e-mail AACOMAS.

Another quick question -- how do you put AP scores in when selecting a term? Do you just put the term you took the AP course in in high school (which would be a year-long thing for me) or just your first semester in college? I'm not entirely sure what to do here -- any advice would be greatly appreciated!