* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So my school is on the quarter system. How do I convert quarter hours to semester hours?

Also, can we list publications under awards/honors?

Members don't see this ad.

So my school is on the quarter system. How do I convert quarter hours to semester hours?

Also, can we list publications under awards/honors?

Units divided by 3 times 2... 4 quarter units = 2.7 semester units, 6 = 4, etc.

I'm not sure where to list publications but I'd guess awards/honors would work since its not really an extracirricular

hey guys, quick question... i still haven't gotten my letters of recommendation from my doctor i shadowed. when in the process is the latest i can have my doctor submit it? do i need it for the primary? i know the app opens up may 3rd and you can submit it on june 1st. i have my MCAT completed and ill send my transcript in as soon as my classes complete (may 12ish). when do secondaries come in usually? also, will i be able to receive secondaries without submitting my letters of recommendation? one last question, do i need to send transcripts/LOR to each of the schools i want to apply to? thanks for the help!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, quick question... i still haven't gotten my letters of recommendation from my doctor i shadowed. when in the process is the latest i can have my doctor submit it? do i need it for the primary? i know the app opens up may 3rd and you can submit it on june 1st. i have my MCAT completed and ill send my transcript in as soon as my classes complete (may 12ish). when do secondaries come in usually? also, will i be able to receive secondaries without submitting my letters of recommendation? one last question, do i need to send transcripts/LOR to each of the schools i want to apply to? thanks for the help!!!

Letters are considered part of the secondary application.

Letters are considered part of the secondary application.

assuming i submit my primary on june 1st, when approx will i begin receiving secondaries? like roughly in a couple weeks or couple months?

thanks again!! :)

assuming i submit my primary on june 1st, when approx will i begin receiving secondaries? like roughly in a couple weeks or couple months?

thanks again!! :)

AACOMAS usually takes at least 4 weeks to verify your application (it took like... 8 weeks for mine) - but usually as soon as it's verified and sent to the schools, they start e-mailing you secondaries shortly after that.

Should intramural sports be listed in activities? why do people keep putting it in their "what are my chances" posts? I thought this was something that most people did in some form or another. I played intramural Football, Softball, Basketball and Dodgeball for 5 years and tried out for football at a D1 school 2 years, should I actually include this?

i dont see why you wouldn't include it. it's an EC that shows you're well rounded.

ahhh...still shows 2010 application.....they're 14 minutes late!!! I'm so impatient. lol...jk. Luckily I made a 2010 app back when it was editable, so it would transfer.

switched over my 2010 app today! now, just to tackle that PS :eek:

I just registered for the 2011 aacomas but only the 2010 app shows up (I have never applied before though). Is there anything I need to to do have the 2011 app come up instead?

switched over my 2010 app today! now, just to tackle that PS :eek:

... how? I log in with my username/password like it says and just brings up the 2010 application, can't find anything about changing it over :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are taking future classes at a college that you have not attended yet (I won't start until June) andn there is no trasncript becasue there is no class history, do you still mention the university in the trasncripts section of the application?

If you are taking future classes at a college that you have not attended yet (I won't start until June) andn there is no trasncript becasue there is no class history, do you still mention the university in the trasncripts section of the application?

I think you would submit a request for a "Waiver of Transcript."

"Click the button for Transcript Waiver on the Institution Information page of the Colleges and Coursework page of the online application. Select an option from the list to explain why you believe AACOMAS does not require a transcript. If you are unsure about how to answer this question, you may wish to speak with your pre-health advisor or AACOMAS staff by calling 301-968-4190 or e-mailing AACOMAS through our application portal.

If you select one of the options on this page, please understand that you are requesting a transcript waiver, and that a submitted request does not guarantee approval.

Carefully research the availability of the transcript before completing this item. If AACOMAS denies your exception request, you will be required to produce a transcript or letter from your registrar’s office. If AACOMAS reviews your request after a transcript deadline and subsequently denies the request, AACOMAS cannot extend your deadline and will not send your application to the school(s) for which deadlines have passed."

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/documents/instructions.pdf

I just signed in and a popup came up asking me to create a 2011 application. Looks like its fully functional now!

Hmm, sorry guys I don't know why yours isn't working. When I logged in the first time a popup came up with the option to switch it over...:confused:

We don't actually choose the schools until right before you're about to submit, correct?

Hmm, sorry guys I don't know why yours isn't working. When I logged in the first time a popup came up with the option to switch it over...:confused:

We don't actually choose the schools until right before you're about to submit, correct?

You can choose the schools whenever you want, just don't click submit until you are ready, it will just say incomplete next to them.

It looks like if you transfered over your claswork from last year they already accept your transcripts so long as you don't edit your coursework. I'm going to give them a call when I get off work to verify that I don't need to re-send it. Save me 13 bucks :p

Anyone know the deal with applying to VCOM and VCOM-SC? If you submit for one is it submitting for both or can you literally only submit for one? Also, isn't Western in oregon supposed to be opening for applications this year?

this may be a little silly to ask but...

I have had 2 shadowing positions and was a NCAA college athlete... Would I be right in saying it should be entered under "Experience, volunteering, community service"??

hey, how come the new schools aren't listed????

There are three osteopathic schools opening up in 2011 but I can't find them under the list of medical schools. I want to apply to one of them.

If I have a full year course (fall to winter), how do I input that into the application? On my official transcript, it shows the grade only for the winter semester but shows the course in the fall semester.

Would I split it up into 3/3 credits and put it in twice?

It looks like if you transfered over your claswork from last year they already accept your transcripts so long as you don't edit your coursework. I'm going to give them a call when I get off work to verify that I don't need to re-send it. Save me 13 bucks :p

I sent AACOMAS an e-mail and they said that accepting the transcripts from last year was a glitch when they openned the app and has since been corrected. You still need to send in the transcipts

this may be a little silly to ask but...

I have had 2 shadowing positions and was a NCAA college athlete... Would I be right in saying it should be entered under "Experience, volunteering, community service"??

Correct. That's the right spot to list it.

There are three osteopathic schools opening up in 2011 but I can't find them under the list of medical schools. I want to apply to one of them.

What 3 schools are you talking about? I know VCOM is opening their SC campus, which is on there. COMP-NW is supposed to be openning but isn't on the application, i'm not sure why, might want to send them an e-mail. Whats the 3rd?

If I have a full year course (fall to winter), how do I input that into the application? On my official transcript, it shows the grade only for the winter semester but shows the course in the fall semester.

Would I split it up into 3/3 credits and put it in twice?

This would be a very good question for AACOMAS, you can contact them w/ the support button on top. They got back to me extremely quickly regarding the transcripts (20 minutes) so you might be better off asking them that question.

What 3 schools are you talking about? I know VCOM is opening their SC campus, which is on there. COMP-NW is supposed to be openning but isn't on the application, i'm not sure why, might want to send them an e-mail. Whats the 3rd?

Oregon Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Lebanon DO 2011 Pennsylvania Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine at Seton Hill University[25] Greensburg DO 2011 South Carolina Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine[26] Spartanburg DO 2011

Same, I'm really interested in Western's new Campus but not so much the CA campus.

for listing work experiences i worked at a handful of different basketball camps. should i group them together into one record on the application and when it says employer list like this School1/School2/School3...etc?

Same, I'm really interested in Western's new Campus but not so much the CA campus.

I believe you select the campus in your secondary application for Western U

This is copy and pasted from the CIB

Supplemental Application Requirements
Applicants should select their campus of choice,
Pomona or Lebanon, but may be considered for
both campuses. Supplemental Application, letter
of recommendation from premedical advisory
committee preferred, or letter of recommendation
from one classroom professor, who must be
in the sciences. Letter of recommendation from
a physician, preferably a DO. Interviews and
acceptances are offered on a rolling basis from
September through February or until the class
is filled. Apply early, as meeting the AACOMAS
deadline is not a guarantee of consideration for
admission.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-western-u-comp.pdf

Seton Hill isn't a separate campus but is included in the LECOM-Erie application. In your secondary you will list whether you would prefer seton hill or erie campus.

VCOM SC is on there. It is Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - South Carolina Campus. Its weird though in that you can only select VCOM or VCOM-SC and the other gets greyed out so you can't select it. I'm wondering if that means that when you apply to one you are applying to both or that they will only consider application for one of their campuses.

Western (according to the post above) is like Erie and you will be selecting the campus on your secondary.

Seton Hill isn't a separate campus but is included in the LECOM-Erie application. In your secondary you will list whether you would prefer seton hill or erie campus.

VCOM SC is on there. It is Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - South Carolina Campus. Its weird though in that you can only select VCOM or VCOM-SC and the other gets greyed out so you can't select it. I'm wondering if that means that when you apply to one you are applying to both or that they will only consider application for one of their campuses.

Western (according to the post above) is like Erie and you will be selecting the campus on your secondary.

From VCOM's CIB part

Academic year/orientation for first-year students
start date: mid-August 2011
International students (non-US citizens or temporary
residents) eligible: In select cases.
Applicants should first select Edward Via College
of Osteopathic Medicine on the AACOMAS
application. Then, a drop down box will appear
and applicants may apply to either the VCOMCarolinas
Campus or VCOM-Virginia Campus.
Applicants who select VCOM–CC will not be
able to submit an AACOMAS application to the
VCOM–VC. However, applicants will be eligible
for review on both campuses.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-vcom-cc.pdf

I believe you select the campus in your secondary application for Western U

This is copy and pasted from the CIB

Supplemental Application Requirements
Applicants should select their campus of choice,
Pomona or Lebanon, but may be considered for
both campuses. Supplemental Application, letter
of recommendation from premedical advisory
committee preferred, or letter of recommendation
from one classroom professor, who must be
in the sciences. Letter of recommendation from
a physician, preferably a DO. Interviews and
acceptances are offered on a rolling basis from
September through February or until the class
is filled. Apply early, as meeting the AACOMAS
deadline is not a guarantee of consideration for
admission.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-western-u-comp.pdf

Great thanks! We had Western Reps come to our school and the lady was fairly excited to tell us that the new campus would have its own box in the primary app...guess I should have just read the CIB.

Great thanks! We had Western Reps come to our school and the lady was fairly excited to tell us that the new campus would have its own box in the primary app...guess I should have just read the CIB.

Hey, I'm happy they dont, 1 less box to check is $35 less. Only one secondary too, saving you almost 100 bucks. Sounds good to me :thumbup: lol

Got a question about what subject a course is. The course is Psychology 362- introductory statistics. Should it be a math class or a behavioral science?

Got a question about what subject a course is. The course is Psychology 362- introductory statistics. Should it be a math class or a behavioral science?

I would go by the definition of your schools class catalog, as any disputes (if you even want to dispute how they file this) will fall back on the class catalog description.

Hey, I'm happy they dont, 1 less box to check is $35 less. Only one secondary too, saving you almost 100 bucks. Sounds good to me :thumbup: lol

Yeah, when you put it that way it doesn't make sense for the school not to put a box for each campus

This past semester I worked in a doctor's office as a medical assistant, but I was only an intern position. Does it still belong in the work experience section?

quick question -- where do you put research on the application? I guess it would be under the extracurricular/volunteer/community service section but then it asks for organization name... I did research through my university with a professor as a mentor so I don't have any organization. Any thoughts?

quick question -- where do you put research on the application? I guess it would be under the extracurricular/volunteer/community service section but then it asks for organization name... I did research through my university with a professor as a mentor so I don't have any organization. Any thoughts?

I would just put the name of the university

University of X -biology dept-

Organization= your University.

Another Q from me. I'm debating whether including this job. Its a summer position as a production runner at the Gorge amphitheater. I basically runner errands for the bands as well as drive the bands and their families around. Not 100% relevant, but is definitely unique and interesting. What do you guys think? Include it or no?

Organization= your University.

Another Q from me. I'm debating whether including this job. Its a summer position as a production runner at the Gorge amphitheater. I basically runner errands for the bands as well as drive the bands and their families around. Not 100% relevant, but is definitely unique and interesting. What do you guys think? Include it or no?

I would, sounds like a cool job and it makes you sound like a more "well-rounded" applicant.

Hi all,
this was given to by my counselor, it doesnt apply to me anymore and i am sure that it has been posted on SDN today....but i thought i would share it with you guys anyways, hope that it helps, GL!!!!!:

AACOMAS is pleased to announce that the 2011 AACOMAS Application launched at noon today, May 3, 2010. As of 2:00 pm, over 500 applicants have started their 2011 applications.

Please help us share the following important tips and advice for the 2011 cycle with your applicants and prospective students

1) 2011 AACOMAS will launch in the afternoon of May 3, 2010 - Eastern Time. URL: https://aacomas.aacom.org or http://www.aacom.org

2) New for 2011: Applicants may work on their AACOMAS application throughout the month of May. They will only be able to submit their 2011 AACOMAS application on/after June 1, 2010.

3) New for 2011: All applicants applying in the 2011 cycle must submit their most current Spring coursework transcript with posted grades. We will not begin to process applications until Spring grades are posted.

4) New for 2011: Applicants will be able to access a comprehensive 2011 AACOMAS Instructions Booklet that will aid them in successfully completing their application. Advisors will also find this instruction publication useful when assisting applicants.

5) New for 2011: AACOMAS has changed the address to which applicants should send transcripts. Please have transcripts sent to:
AACOMAS
1900 L Street, NW, Suite 603
Washington, DC 20036

Note that processing of transcripts sent to AACOMAS at its Chevy Chase, MD address will not be delayed; however, sending transcripts to the above address is preferred.

6) Roll-over feature: For past applicants that are re-applying in 2011, the roll-over feature will be available for their use.

7) For applicants students applying for Fall 2011 admission, we strongly recommend that they review the 2011 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book that includes descriptions of all of the osteopathic medical colleges, admissions criteria, minimum entrance requirements, supplementary application materials required, class size, application deadlines, and tuition.
URL link: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

8) Deadlines vary amongst the Osteopathic Medical Colleges. AACOMAS recommends applicants submit their completed, paid application by December 1, 2010 for best consideration. The majority of the medical colleges have a February 1st deadline. Normal processing time is 3-6 weeks.

9) The on-line AACOMAS Application Support Center is an integrated part of the application system which we encourage applicants to use when they have questions or need to make updates on their application. Dedicated staff respond to applicants through this system and a written log is established.

10) MCAT scores must be released to AACOMAS through the THx system. Applicants must provide their MCAT/AAMC number (8-digits beginning with 1) in their AACOMAS application. Their AACOMAS application is then electronically matched to their score(s).

11) Applicants may submit their AACOMAS application without a set of MCAT scores. They simply indicate “Planned” in the MCAT section of their application.

12) Personal Statement: 4,500 characters (this includes spaces).

13) GPA Calculations: Math courses are included as a “Non-Science” in AACOMAS GPA calculations.

14) Repeated Coursework: The most recent repeated course grade is included in AACOMAS calculated GPAs – repeated courses are not averaged.

15) Prerequisite Coursework: Only grades of C or better are included in prerequisite verification.

16) Lastly, AACOMAS staff processed over 100,000 applications for more than 13,000 applicants in the 2010 cycle. Please encourage your applicants to read the instructions, be accurate, complete, and early, review their materials with you before they submit, and make sure that they “authorize release to their Advisor” so that you may view their progress in the Advisor Information Center (AIC) portal: http://aic.aacom.org/

On behalf of all of us at AACOM, we thank you for your support and look forward to helping you and your applicants in the 2011 AACOMAS cycle.
http://www.aacom.org

you are very welcome...and i think EVERYONE should go through the whole CIB cover to cover...this is a must in the application process...it has all the bare minimums that one needs to know about the medical schools and their requirements before they apply!

you are very welcome...and i think EVERYONE should go through the whole CIB cover to cover...this is a must in the application process...it has all the bare minimums that one needs to know about the medical schools and their requirements before they apply!

Thank you. My school is quarter system, which means I won't have my spring grade until Mid-June..Ugh :( I hope it won't take too long for them to verify my transcript..:eek:

Thank you. My school is quarter system, which means I won't have my spring grade until Mid-June..Ugh :( I hope it won't take too long for them to verify my transcript..:eek:

That is my problem as well, I already completed school though so I'm hoping that they're just saying you have to have completed your jr year, which is what the manual specifically says right now. My spring course is a retake, I'll post here when they get back to me. I just sent them an e-mail about an hr ago, expecting a response tomorrow.

Hey guys, thank you for all of your quick responses to all of our questions. You have answered some before I could even ask them!

Next question: Should I include a list of publications? Where should I include them? There isn't really a section for this.

Thanks again! I can't believe its already time to apply!:p

2) New for 2011: Applicants may work on their AACOMAS application throughout the month of May. They will only be able to submit their 2011 AACOMAS application on/after June 1, 2010.

I didn't know the application could only be submitted on/after June 1st. Makes me feel pretty good about applying mid-June :)

Thanks!

Is doctor shadowing considered extracurricular activity? what about hobbies?

Is doctor shadowing considered extracurricular activity? what about hobbies?

Shadowing definitely is and should be listed. Hobbie, sure. If you spend a good amount of time on them and they are a big part of my life. I played basketball in high school, played intramural games in college, and volunteer as a basketball coach in a kids league during the summer, so I am definitely listing that.

So I did a quick search about courses that count towards BCPM gpa and read the 2011 amcas instructions but i still had some questions about four courses that I took.

Physiological psychology
Behavioral Pharmacology
Plant Science
Endocrinology
Animal Physiology

1) Both physiological psychology and behavioral pharmacology were all science based but they were psychology courses.

2) Am I correct to assume that plant science is a NPSC (naturla/physical science)

3) Both endocrinology and animal physiology fell under animal sciences at my university. Do both these courses then count as animal sciences and not part of BCPM?

Wasn't sure if there was an appropriate thread for this. I posted in the pre MD forum as well.