2010-2011 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was waiting, waiting, waiting. Turns out, they sent it to me over a week ago but it was never delivered to my e-mail.
Just shoot them an e-mail and they'll resend it to those of you who somehow got passed over like I did.

You're not alone.

My letters are finally in! Yay.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was waiting, waiting, waiting. Turns out, they sent it to me over a week ago but it was never delivered to my e-mail. I work at Mount Sinai and checked in the office today.

Just shoot them an e-mail and they'll resend it to those of you who somehow got passed over like I did.

Interesting. I called, and the lady started saying that they're sending them out in batches and they'll be sending out another one soon... then I told her my name and she said I should have gotten it already, so she sent it along.

So thanks! :thumbup:

Just got my secondary this morning. I can't find anyplace on the online secondary that lets me check the status of my other documents though... (LORS).

Has anyone gotten a confirmation e-mail saying their application is complete and under review? I haven't heard anything since I submitted on the 19th of July.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation e-mail saying their application is complete and under review? I haven't heard anything since I submitted on the 19th of July.

Nope, I submitted 7/11 and still haven't heard a thing. Lame.

Just got my secondary this morning. I can't find anyplace on the online secondary that lets me check the status of my other documents though... (LORS).

Hmm...I've been waiting about 2 weeks now for a secondary. Should I call admissions? :confused:

Hmm...I've been waiting about 2 weeks now for a secondary. Should I call admissions? :confused:

Hey further up someone else had the same problem. He worked at sinai and when he asked someone, they said it was already sent to him but he didn't receive it. It wouldn't hurt to call the admissions office- they are actually one of the nicer ones.

And as for completion status, I called them and they said nothing has come out yet. You can call between 2-4 Mondays and Wednesdays specifically for status checks.

Hey further up someone else had the same problem. He worked at sinai and when he asked someone, they said it was already sent to him but he didn't receive it. It wouldn't hurt to call the admissions office- they are actually one of the nicer ones.

Yup thanks! Calling did the trick. Funny how people didn't receive it...

sorry if this is a bit ignorant...but who/what number do we call? Can't find a good number on the website

sorry if this is a bit ignorant...but who/what number do we call? Can't find a good number on the website

I've never called in to check, but the number they gave in one of the email's for the admissions office is (212) 241-6696

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waiting, waiting, waiting. Turns out, they sent it to me over a week ago but it was never delivered to my e-mail. I work at Mount Sinai and checked in the office today.

What was the email that you used?

So I just got an email about an hour ago that thanked me for successfully submitting the secondary. I guess this is the long awaited 2nd email? It's definitely not a completion email, as it explains how to set up LORs via AMCAS, and it says I should attempt to get them submitted promptly.

I submitted my secondary on July 9th, and this email reads like I submitted it yesterday...

Any ideas?

So I just got an email about an hour ago that thanked me for successfully submitting the secondary. I guess this is the long awaited 2nd email? It's definitely not a completion email, as it explains how to set up LORs via AMCAS, and it says I should attempt to get them submitted promptly.

I submitted my secondary on July 9th, and this email reads like I submitted it yesterday...

Any ideas?

I submitted mine on July 8th and got the same email today lol..

I received this email today. My interpretation is that they have added a new feature to their system and everybody that already submitted received this email as it updates.

If you check their website, you can see that it takes you straight to a message page. When you click through to the menu, there is a new sidebar function (a message center) containing this email.

I'm glad - now I can add this to the list of secondary sites that I check obsessively :)

Anybody else hate the fact that they start every email with "Congratulations!" - I got the successfully submitted email that everyone else got and quickly glanced at the first few words and got so excited :(

Anybody else hate the fact that they start every email with "Congratulations!" - I got the successfully submitted email that everyone else got and quickly glanced at the first few words and got so excited :(

Agreed. I don't think they should congratulate anyone until they get to a spot they can't buy. If my husband wanted to waste time and money he could have gotten to this point in the application process, and he hasn't taken any prereqs.

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing when I got that email this morning.

You have no idea! I'm a reapplicant and was waitlisted at Mount Sinai last year (eventually rejected). After waiting a month after my interview, and incessantly checking my email for that entire time period, I received an email that said…

"Congratulations! You have been selected for a position on the alternate list!"

or something along those lines. It was VERY irritating! I'm hoping things work out better this time :luck:

You have no idea! I'm a reapplicant and was waitlisted at Mount Sinai last year (eventually rejected). After waiting a month after my interview, and incessantly checking my email for that entire time period, I received an interview that said…

"Congratulations! You have been selected for a position on the alternate list!"

or something along those lines. It was VERY irritating! I'm hoping things work out better this time :luck:

Wow that's so much worse and bordering on inappropriate I think... I'm sorry about that but I am sure you will have success this time around good luck!

I hope someone tells whoever is writing these e-mails to quit starting with "Congratulations" unless its an interview invitation or acceptance...because a real buzzkill follows once you read the rest.

I just got the secondary a few days ago. I am debating whether or not to spend the fee to submit it because of my low MCAT. I have 33S/3.85 with a lot of research. The reason I am debating is because I already have a good amount of stretch schools. Any thoughts? Worth applying here even though I already applied to Cornell, Columbia, NYU?

I had my amcas verified on july 28th and today I still did not have a secondary so I just called the office. They told me they are sending out the secondary in batches and mine wasn't scheduled to go out yet. However the lady just went ahead and sent me the secondary anyway. So if you are waiting on your secondary you can probably just call the office and they will send it to you. I dont know what happens if you submit it before you were suppose to get the secondary but I dont think it will hurt.

I just got the secondary a few days ago. I am debating whether or not to spend the fee to submit it because of my low MCAT. I have 33S/3.85 with a lot of research. The reason I am debating is because I already have a good amount of stretch schools. Any thoughts? Worth applying here even though I already applied to Cornell, Columbia, NYU?

I definitely don't think it's a stretch for you. The 33 is probably in the lower quartile of what they accept but there are definitely people accepted with that score. If you're applying to the other NYC schools already, I think you should apply to Sinai too unless money is truly an issue.

Dude, no school is really a stretch for you. Your stats fall in to above average, average, or just below average for almost every school. If you want to go to Mount Sinai you should apply. Same with Johns Hopkins. Those are two great schools your stats match up with and you won't get in if you don't drop 2 hundred to apply. A 33 and a 3.85 qualifies you legitimately for any medical school you want to go to. You should be giving advice not seeking it. Unless your 33 is not balanced.

Does anyone know what math is required for mount sinai? I've taken pre-calc and I'm planning to take either calc or statistics.

Hum. Logged in today to find that the "message center" function has disappeared. Maybe it was buggy and they axed it. Anyone else?

Or.. maybe.. they put it down because they are going to update with interview invites for all of us tomorrow!!!

Yeah, right. But a guy can dream.

gone for me tooo :oops:

I got the second submitted email yesterday also.... 2 weeks after I got the first. o__O

Interview invite today! I submitted 8/5, not sure when I was complete because I never called the office.

They assigned me a date instead of giving me a choice, so I may have to reschedule...

Good luck to those of you waiting for invites! :luck:

Congrats. When are interviews beginning this year?

Interview here also, was scheduled for oct 6 have another interview that day so had to reschedule. Sounded like they sent out a good amount because the lady said the next available was the 19th ( at least until everyone else reschedules).

Hey guys, congrats on your interviews. I wanted to ask what you guys thought about the MSCR program. I made a thread about it, and then realized this thread would probably have some good comments
http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=760017

Many students take a year off to do research anyway because it looks good when applying for residency. This seems like a more structured, formal way to take a year off, show that you're devoted to research, and get another degree out of it. I would assume it's probably useful from an academic perspective if you know you want to clinical research and I'd assume you'd gain a great understanding in medicine-related statistics and setting up projects.

If you're not sure you want to do these things (and it's difficult to know so early if you really do), then I wouldn't do it. You can always decide later on to take a year off for research and also get a masters or MPH. But if you know right now that you're interested in a competitive residency and you have no problem taking a year off, then it sounds like a good idea to me.

so to confirm the interview did you just reply to the same email saying thanks and that you will be attending that date?

Hi all!

Could someone post the secondary essay prompts for Mt. Sinai? I am considering adding it to my list of AMCAS schools.

Thank you for your help.

Hi all!

Could someone post the secondary essay prompts for Mt. Sinai? I am considering adding it to my list of AMCAS schools.

Thank you for your help.

"What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai Community?" (250 words suggested)

"Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai." (200 words suggested)

Has anyone received a complete notification for the secondary? Mine still just says that it's been submitted.

Has anyone received a complete notification for the secondary? Mine still just says that it's been submitted.
ya ... they sent me a confirmation email a few weeks after I turned mine in (~8/16)

ya ... they sent me a confirmation email a few weeks after I turned mine in (~8/16)

Was it this one?

Congratulations! You have successfully submitted your online application to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. We sincerely thank you for your interest in our school and look forward to reviewing your application. Also, we would like to remind you to make sure that all your letters of recommendation are submitted through AMCAS. The sooner you complete your application, the sooner we will be able to submit your application for review.

Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified via e-mail. Mount Sinai interviews Tuesday through Friday from October through March and require a full day's commitment on the part of the candidate. Details of the interview day will be explained within our e-mail.

If you have any questions about your application or the process, you may reach out the the Office of Admissions. We have hours set aside for our applicants on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2 - 4 pm, EST (212) 241-6696.

Good luck with your application.

Sincerely,
Mount Sinai School of Medicine

I wasn't sure if this was a "complete" or not, given the part about making sure letters are submitted through AMCAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.