2010-2011 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it this one?

Congratulations! You have successfully submitted your online application to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. We sincerely thank you for your interest in our school and look forward to reviewing your application. Also, we would like to remind you to make sure that all your letters of recommendation are submitted through AMCAS. The sooner you complete your application, the sooner we will be able to submit your application for review.

Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified via e-mail. Mount Sinai interviews Tuesday through Friday from October through March and require a full day's commitment on the part of the candidate. Details of the interview day will be explained within our e-mail.

If you have any questions about your application or the process, you may reach out the the Office of Admissions. We have hours set aside for our applicants on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2 - 4 pm, EST (212) 241-6696.

Good luck with your application.

Sincerely,
Mount Sinai School of Medicine

I wasn't sure if this was a "complete" or not, given the part about making sure letters are submitted through AMCAS.
That's the one I got ... I just assumed that it was encouraging us to make sure that all letters were into AMCAS (i.e. additional letters).

Did you find a status page?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think there is a status page, you can just call on monday or wednesday. Or just wait for emails.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working on the secondary (yeah, I know I'm late) and I can't write the first essay in less than 340 words. I just can't. I'm not being verbose, I'm just describing a complicated situation. I read somewhere that the 250 word "suggestion" was truly just a suggestion, and that I applicants were welcome to write a bit more so long as they didn't submit a dissertation.

Thoughts?

I wrote close to 400 and got an interview

Anyone receive a confirmation of their student host email? I sent mine on Monday and haven't heard anything.

Anyone receive a confirmation of their student host email? I sent mine on Monday and haven't heard anything.

no :( waiting a couple weeks and then I'm going to give them a call or get alternate arrangements.

Can anyone with experience at Mt. Sinai advise me on the following:
  • Are there electives for M1s, or is the first-year curriculum the same for every student?
  • How are the CWW integrated into the rest of the first-year curriculum?
  • How do students of MSSM rate their experience?
  • What advice might they give an entering M1?
All knowledgeable replies appreciated.

Does anyone know if MSSM's status page updates in real time? Under my LORs, it still says No current status. Please check back later, even though they were sent to AMCAS over a month ago. I'm wondering if I should contact the admissions office?:confused:

Does anyone know if MSSM's status page updates in real time? Under my LORs, it still says No current status. Please check back later, even though they were sent to AMCAS over a month ago. I'm wondering if I should contact the admissions office?:confused:

I called yesterday and spoke to someone who said to wait a week. This school has really dropped the ball with this secondary and "new system" as far as I'm concerned. It still wouldn't take much arm twisting to get me to come here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also called and got the same answer

Thanks guys! I called also, and they said that the system is not updated right now (but they still might have gotten our stuff), and that it'll be updated in a few weeks. Also that they don't send out complete emails but have already started offering invites, which we knew already.

Is this what your guys status page looks like?
Actual interview date: no current status
Letters of rec: "
Portal interview: "
etc

Is this what your guys status page looks like?
Actual interview date: no current status
Letters of rec: "
Portal interview: "
etc

Yeah that's what it says for me...

The more I read about Mount Sinai, the more I fall in love with it. It really feels like a great "fit" for me, so it's going to sting when the rejection comes in.

Did you all fill out the letter writer registration on the secondary site? It says in bold red writing "note your letters have been received, move on to the next step". Is that telling you to SKIP the registration component, or is clicking the registration button and adding letter writer names "the next step"?

When I clicked it, it says that I can only add 1 letter writer, and it wants email address so that they can contact the writer(s) to let them know they can add their letter :confused:. I get the feeling that they use some server that supplies applications to various organizations, and this part got tacked on by accident, and the red note is saying not to worry about that, and move to the next section (payment). I left it blank. What did you all do?

Last edited:
@cfx: That confused me too. I left it blank - since there was a button on the letter registration step that said "continue to next step" (for which the image link was actually broken, btw... this site was really buggy for me), I figured that was what they meant. And clicking on that button takes you to Step 5, skipping the letter registration.

@cfx: That confused me too. I left it blank - since there was a button on the letter registration step that said "continue to next step" (for which the image link was actually broken, btw... this site was really buggy for me), I figured that was what they meant. And clicking on that button takes you to Step 5, skipping the letter registration.

Ah good, that's exactly what I did.

Glad to hear I wasn't alone with the buggy site. Nearly every new page I tried to load would flip over to a "Service Unavailable" screen, and I'd have to refresh a half dozen times in order for the actual page to come up. Then half the stuff wouldn't work on my mac, so I had to find a PC to use. And like you said, a lot of broken links, images, etc. :boom:

Anyone else recently receive this email? I had previously received the past complete email about 1 month ago.

Dear ...,
Embark Test has successfully submitted your online document to Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD Program.
To view the status of your other documents for this application, please log into Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD Program's online application and click the View Status link under the Recommendations section of the Home page.
Thank you for using the Apply Online System.
Sincerely,
Embark Apply Online System

I received that email this morning, however I am not complete at this school (no notification of it yet). Submitted 8/20.

I got that message this morning as well, and it now looks as though there is a status page "table" as opposed to a short blurb saying that my app is completed and under review (if I remember correctly).

Does this change mean anything??

I got that email too, though I just submitted my secondary last week. It seems weird that we'd get the same email at the same time when some of us submitted 3 weeks apart. So it probably doesn't mean much?

Anyone else recently receive this email? I had previously received the past complete email about 1 month ago.

Dear ...,
Embark Test has successfully submitted your online document to Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD Program.
To view the status of your other documents for this application, please log into Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD Program's online application and click the View Status link under the Recommendations section of the Home page.
Sincerely

Yeah I got that too. So weird. That is my third email saying my submission was successful. First email on 8/27, then a different one on 9/7, and now this one today. Maybe instead of 3 complete emails they can give me an interview invite :) Here's hoping!!!

Do you all have "Test, Embark" listed as your recommender under the recommendations tab?

I got that message this morning as well, and it now looks as though there is a status page "table" as opposed to a short blurb saying that my app is completed and under review (if I remember correctly).

Does this change mean anything??

Got the same message and same table.... I got a complete email Sept 7th, submitted aug 28th...

I also got this message, but I never got a complete email. I received a notification upon submission on 8/24, and another email on 8/26 (reminding me to make sure my letters of recommendation were sent in soon so I could be reviewed - they were actually sent by VirtualEvals on 8/19). I then got this "Embark has submitted your online document..." email on 9/19...

I finally received a reply email to my student host request saying that I would be accommodated. The actual host will send a follow up email.

I got this email three days ago:

Dear ...,
Sincerely,

and today I called admissions because Mount Sinai is one of two schools at which I am not yet complete. They said I was complete and that "funny email" I got recently was my "everything has been received and processed" email. For those of you that got a complete email in addition to this, I can't explain that, but for those of you waiting for a complete email, I think that was it.

Yes, hope thats what everyone's says.

Yup, mine does.

On another note, it looks like my status page was updated yesterday morning, LORs are marked as complete! Submitted early August.

interview invite today via phone! for Oct.13

just checked my status page and nothing changed

I have to call the school to find this out 3 weeks ago she told me I was complete I had called the school last Tues

I called in last week and the woman told me that they don't do statuses over the phone!! She said everything is online, but i said everything on the site indicates 'No STATUS' for me. She told me to just wait. =(

What were the categories on the "Track Status" page on the Embark website? I see 3 right now: Actual interview date, LORs, and portal interview. I feel like there were 4 when I checked it a few days ago. Can anyone who just submitted check?

Thanks.

What were the categories on the "Track Status" page on the Embark website? I see 3 right now: Actual interview date, LORs, and portal interview. I feel like there were 4 when I checked it a few days ago. Can anyone who just submitted check?

Thanks.

Oh, I just checked yesterday and there was definitely a fourth box. I submitted the secondary ~2 weeks ago. All of my (currently, 3) boxes are still blank though.

I wonder what it means. Probably nothing, especially since their site has been a little faulty in my opinion.

Thanks.

LOL I just noticed this too. There were definitely four. I was hoping it was a good sign. Probably means nothing though.

How long did it take you guys to get your secondary after AMCAS submission? My primary was submitted a week ago, and I still have not received the secondary. I know Mount Sinai doesn't screen.

I wonder if there are any lurking first year posters who I had spoken to last year around still. Curious how you all are finding first year so far.

is anyone else having trouble previewing their essays within the online application system? all i see is blank even after it says successful upload.

Quick question - I looked under the "Recommendations" tab, and even though I only have one committee letter to submit, there are two recommendations registered (something like "AMCAS" and "AMCAS01"). I hadn't entered anything for that, per the instructions, during the secondary. One of the letters entries is listed as received, while the other one isn't. Just wondering if this is the case for anyone else, if I should delete the second listing, etc - don't want an absent ghost letter holding up completion. thanks :)

Quick question - I looked under the "Recommendations" tab, and even though I only have one committee letter to submit, there are two recommendations registered (something like "AMCAS" and "AMCAS01"). I hadn't entered anything for that, per the instructions, during the secondary. One of the letters entries is listed as received, while the other one isn't. Just wondering if this is the case for anyone else, if I should delete the second listing, etc - don't want an absent ghost letter holding up completion. thanks :)

I noticed the same thing on my status page today--I'm assuming that means we're fine!

Does anyone know if MSSM responds to in the area emails (or if they approve/disapprove of the practice)? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.