2010-2011 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if MSSM responds to in the area emails (or if they approve/disapprove of the practice)? Thanks!

I don't think there is any problem doing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if MSSM responds to in the area emails (or if they approve/disapprove of the practice)? Thanks!

I just sent one a few days ago, and got invited for an interview the next day! It's not actually during the time I requested...so I'll have to work on that, but they definitely do not have a problem with in-the-area emails. You should definitely send one - good luck to you!

I just sent one a few days ago, and got invited for an interview the next day! It's not actually during the time I requested...so I'll have to work on that, but they definitely do not have a problem with in-the-area emails. You should definitely send one - good luck to you!

For those of you who did in the area emails, what were your stats? I'm going to be in the area for another interview next month and would love to go here but my stats are a little bit below the average. Should I still send an email to let them know?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who did in the area emails, what were your stats? I'm going to be in the area for another interview next month and would love to go here but my stats are a little bit below the average. Should I still send an email to let them know?

i don't have stellar stats at all...32Q, 3.7 gpa (aka at the very bottom of mt.sinai's mcat range). average means that they accept people with both higher and lower stats, so i wouldn't get too wrapped up in schools' averages - i think the stat range that's available in the MSAR is more useful information.

but anyways...i think you should send an in-the-area email no matter what your stats are. i made it clear in my email that i wasn't presuming they were going to offer me an interview since I knew it was a bit of a reach, but just asked them to consider that i was going to be in the area if they were even going to interview me at all. it really can't hurt, as long as you're nice about it, so go for it!

i don't have stellar stats at all...32Q, 3.7 gpa (aka at the very bottom of mt.sinai's mcat range). average means that they accept people with both higher and lower stats, so i wouldn't get too wrapped up in schools' averages - i think the stat range that's available in the MSAR is more useful information.

but anyways...i think you should send an in-the-area email no matter what your stats are. i made it clear in my email that i wasn't presuming they were going to offer me an interview since I knew it was a bit of a reach, but just asked them to consider that i was going to be in the area if they were even going to interview me at all. it really can't hurt, as long as you're nice about it, so go for it!

Thanks for the advice dancerdoc :)

Hmm I now only have 2 items on the status page: actual interview date and letters of recommendation :confused: both currently have no status

Hmm I now only have 2 items on the status page: actual interview date and letters of recommendation :confused: both currently have no status

I only have two items as well (down from four, then three). LOR is complete and no status for interview date...

I only have two items as well (down from four, then three). LOR is complete and no status for interview date...

Make that +2. Hmm... this status page keeps changing; it's annoying. Shows how neurotic we all are about checking out status page :laugh:.

Yeah I had the same thing happen, but my LOR was never marked as complete. I really don't understand this system. :confused:

Hey guys, who did you send your "in the area" e-mails to? I can't seem to find an address anywhere...

Finally submitted my secondary application last night. Hope it is not too late. I really like this school so I did a lot of researching about it's program and took the time to make sure my essays are perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed here, and I LOOOOOOOOOOOVED it. This was my third interview, and I fell in love with it. It's great having a passionate feeling about a school I've interviewed at finally, when the first two were like mehh. We'll hear back on decisions by mid-november!

good luck everyone, mount sinai seems wonderful!

How do you guys phrase an "in-the-area" email? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what exactly to say. "Hey I'm gonna be in town in case you guys want to interview me!"

just looked at app online under recommendations tab
it used to say :
RECOMMENDATIONS, AMCAS
misc_dotted_vert_sm.gif
Has Not Submitted
RECOMMENDATIONS 01, AMCAS
misc_dotted_vert_sm.gif
Submitted

now i also have 4 other additions that were just added yesterday
consisting of a 3 digit number and the word "embark"(what their system runs i guess/website)
I am assuming that those are my 4 letters that were sent via amcas.
it was submitted a long time ago but i guess its finally processed.

hoping an interview email will be sent today:D

They finally have my letters in. Submitted almost 2 2.5 months ago.

Last edited:
Having interviewed here, I must say that I'm very impressed by Mt. Sinai. The students seemed very happy and excited to be there - definitely one of the main strengths of the program. The facilities were awesome and very unique (designated floors for first and second year students, library, etc all in one building). True P/F grading system and online exams are great! The only downside is the amount of time spent in class. Most schools I've interviewed at have 8-12pm schedules but at Sinai it's usually 9-4pm, or 8-3pm. However, Fridays are usually very light.

can anyone please clarify how to check your status? I love Mt. Sinai but of all the schools I've applied to, I've been most frustrated with their online application system. My Embark e-mail says that I can click a "check status" link under the recommendations tab but my recommendations page has no such link.

Does Mt. Sinai send you a complete e-mail? The last one I got from them (9/7) said:
"Congratulations! You have successfully submitted your online application to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. We sincerely thank you for your interest in our school and look forward to reviewing your application. Also, we would like to remind you to make sure that all your letters of recommendation are submitted through AMCAS. The sooner you complete your application, the sooner we will be able to submit your application for review. Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified via e-mail. "

...does that count?

can anyone please clarify how to check your status? I love Mt. Sinai but of all the schools I've applied to, I've been most frustrated with their online application system. My Embark e-mail says that I can click a "check status" link under the recommendations tab but my recommendations page has no such link.

Does Mt. Sinai send you a complete e-mail? The last one I got from them (9/7) said:
"Congratulations! You have successfully submitted your online application to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. We sincerely thank you for your interest in our school and look forward to reviewing your application. Also, we would like to remind you to make sure that all your letters of recommendation are submitted through AMCAS. The sooner you complete your application, the sooner we will be able to submit your application for review. Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified via e-mail. "

...does that count?
When you log into Embark, on the "home" screen that appears, scroll all the way to the bottom - there should be a "track status" link in blue...

When you log into Embark, on the "home" screen that appears, scroll all the way to the bottom - there should be a "track status" link in blue...

ah--there it is...things are always so obvious after other people point them out :laugh:

Wow!! I can't believe i didn't see this. My Letters of Rec say No Status--is this bad? I thought I was complete..

Wow!! I can't believe i didn't see this. My Letters of Rec say No Status--is this bad? I thought I was complete..

BioChemGuy & others: did you ever get an official complete email? Because I got emails from Embark & Sinai saying that my form was submitted but that != complete. When I called Mt. Sinai yesterday at 3:30 EST as stated in their e-mails, the lady said that the systems were down and that I would have to wait until Monday (their next designated time for call-in status checks) to talk more about this. When I asked if she could at least confirm whether my "successfully submitted" email from Mt. Sinai counted as a complete, she refused to say another word and told me to call back. I love the school...but not their admissions office.:mad:

Hey guys and gals

I called the pre-med office and the embark status check has been down since they implemented it, so the status or LOR's etc is not reflected on this website.

Additionally, I submitted July 19 and got this email on Aug 16 which I think is a complete email - although I will be following this up Monday (actually Wednesday bc I'm interviewing at OSU on Monday!) just to ensure it is complete - I vaguely recall doing this before but being neurotic and pre-med I feel the need to quadruple check...

"Congratulations! You have successfully submitted your online application to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. We sincerely thank you for your interest in our school and look forward to reviewing your application. Also, we would like to remind you to make sure that all your letters of recommendation are submitted through AMCAS. The sooner you complete your application, the sooner we will be able to submit your application for review. Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified via e-mail. Mount Sinai interviews Tuesday through Friday from October ! through March and require a full day's commitment on the part of the candidate. Details of the interview day will be explained within our e-mail.
If you have any questions about your application or the process, you may reach out the the Office of Admissions. We have hours set aside for our applicants on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2 - 4 pm, EST (212) 241-6696."

BioChemGuy & others: did you ever get an official complete email? Because I got emails from Embark & Sinai saying that my form was submitted but that != complete. When I called Mt. Sinai yesterday at 3:30 EST as stated in their e-mails, the lady said that the systems were down and that I would have to wait until Monday (their next designated time for call-in status checks) to talk more about this. When I asked if she could at least confirm whether my "successfully submitted" email from Mt. Sinai counted as a complete, she refused to say another word and told me to call back. I love the school...but not their admissions office.:mad:

You have to call to make sure they received everything.

This school is amazing and has a great student body. Good luck to everyone this year.

On my status page, it says "No current status. Please check back later" in front of the LOR entry. I submitted LOR's along with amcas back in July. Was anyone able to get this fixed by calling them?

On my status page, it says "No current status. Please check back later" in front of the LOR entry. I submitted LOR's along with amcas back in July. Was anyone able to get this fixed by calling them?

I had the same issue (LORs submitted in late July), but they were marked as complete yesterday. I think it just takes longer here... Anyone know how far along the school is in their invites?

Letters of Recommendation box finally marked complete today morning

Submitted on 9/23

I've got a relative who teaches at MSSM and is in frequent contact with the Dean of Admissions... He says they're really freakin' slow.

Interveiwed this past Wednesday. Amazing school. Students seem truly happy. I actually forgot to ask (and no one said) when decisions are made. Does anyone know if Mount Sinai is rolling? And would you go here over Cornell - they are ranked so closely. Do you think that matters?

Interveiwed this past Wednesday. Amazing school. Students seem truly happy. I actually forgot to ask (and no one said) when decisions are made. Does anyone know if Mount Sinai is rolling? And would you go here over Cornell - they are ranked so closely. Do you think that matters?

They are indeed rolling but I don't know when the first batch of acceptances will go out.

Anyone who interviewed there know this? Trying to figure out when I can book a flight out. Thanks!

Anyone who interviewed there know this? Trying to figure out when I can book a flight out. Thanks!

3 PM is the official end time. Mine ended at 2, so it varies a little bit.

I think they said decisions start going out on mid nov.

Sorry I didn't address your second question. Cornell and Sinai are so culturally different that you should feel a personal connection to one more than the other, and it varies depending upon your own personality and who you are. Cornell and Sinai get compared often (check out last years comparison threads), but if you do get interviews at both places and/or accepted to both, you'll know what I mean when I say you'll get very different vibes from each place.

Besides that, locations are somewhat similar - pretty much separated by a distance of ~25 blocks and a couple of avenues, although I would say Cornell is in a bit nicer (and more expensive) area. Sinai is considerably cheaper in both tuition and housing, and if I remember correctly, the difference can come out to as much as 10k per year.

But if you don't get a good idea from previous years threads about how different the schools are culturally, feel free to PM me.

I guess they responded positively to your in-the-area e-mail? :D

I guess they responded positively to your in-the-area e-mail? :D

They did note it, but sent me an invite much later (not corresponding to the dates in my in the area email). So it seems like it doesn't help or hurt?

They did note it, but sent me an invite much later (not corresponding to the dates in my in the area email). So it seems like it doesn't help or hurt?

Seems like you would have gotten the interview anyway and they completely dismissed that you were in the area certain days :laugh:

Interview invite today! for 11/16. So happy!!

Not sure exactly. They finished processing my letters a couple weeks ago.

how did you find out that they processed your letters? did you find out when you checked "track your status" on the application? Or did you have to call the office during designated status-check hours?

i'm just curious since I read on here that the online status check was useless since it didn't actually update/work.

how did you find out that they processed your letters? did you find out when you checked "track your status" on the application? Or did you have to call the office during designated status-check hours?

i'm just curious since I read on here that the online status check was useless since it didn't actually update/work.

By clicking on the "Recommendations" tab on the left. I only sent in one committee packet, and it looks like they submitted it to their system on Sept 29. There's another entry on there ("Embark 302") that was submitted on Oct 9. So I don't really know.

By clicking on the "Recommendations" tab on the left. I only sent in one committee packet, and it looks like they submitted it to their system on Sept 29. There's another entry on there ("Embark 302") that was submitted on Oct 9. So I don't really know.

thanks for the info...love the school, hate the application UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.