2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone suggest a good/inexpensive hotel or motel to stay at for a TT interview?

I definitely recommend the Radisson Hotel Lubbock Downtown! Request the discount rate. It was only $69, and it's really close to the school too. My plane landed at 10pm like yours, but their shuttle runs till 11pm. Once you land, just give them a call and the shuttle's there in like 10 mins to get you. They'll pick you up from the airport and take you to the school in the morning at your conveniece - save the cab fees!
And the room was really nice!

Members don't see this ad.

how long after submitting the 2ndary did it take for TECH to get back to yall?

Members don't see this ad :)
how long after submitting the 2ndary did it take for TECH to get back to yall?

I was trans on 8/20 and I got my invite last week. Did my secondary a few days after being transmitted.

Transmitted and submitted my secondary on 9/8, interview offer 9/27

What were your stats? You can PM me if this is a bit personal for you to post, but congrats! I have really begun to like this school a lot!

Hey guys!! Ok so I got asked a sort of hard question on my Tech interview recently. The question was worded that "if you kill a patient due to a mistake that you have made, what would you do?" I answered it honestly saying that I would inform the patient's family that I made a mistake and I am very sorry about that..But then the interviewer asked "what if the patient's family now hates all the doctors in the world and if you blurt out that you made a mistake, the hospital will never get funding again...would you still say the truth or keep quiet?" I again told him that the right thing for me would be to tell the patient's family that I made a mistake and that this has no relevance to the practice of other physicians (in that they are not all bad just because one doctor made a mistake).

I thought that sticking to your morals and principles was the best answer..but the interviewer kept asking me to pick one.. tell the family that you made a mistake to be true to yourself or keep your mouth shut to not hurt the family's feelings and the funding for the hospital.

We ended the discussion of this question by mutually agreeing that this was a very tough decision and it will take time to think about both aspects. The interviewer asked this question because he didn't go to medical school for the fear that he would kill someone due to a mistake that he had made.

I just wanted to ask yall whether another approach could have been taken to answer this question. I am very scared of this question hurting my interview!!! Any advice would be helpful since this may come in future interviews:scared:

Thanks!!

Hey guys!! Ok so I got asked a sort of hard question on my Tech interview recently. The question was worded that "if you kill a patient due to a mistake that you have made, what would you do?" I answered it honestly saying that I would inform the patient's family that I made a mistake and I am very sorry about that..But then the interviewer asked "what if the patient's family now hates all the doctors in the world and if you blurt out that you made a mistake, the hospital will never get funding again...would you still say the truth or keep quiet?" I again told him that the right thing for me would be to tell the patient's family that I made a mistake and that this has no relevance to the practice of other physicians (in that they are not all bad just because one doctor made a mistake).

I thought that sticking to your morals and principles was the best answer..but the interviewer kept asking me to pick one.. tell the family that you made a mistake to be true to yourself or keep your mouth shut to not hurt the family's feelings and the funding for the hospital.

We ended the discussion of this question by mutually agreeing that this was a very tough decision and it will take time to think about both aspects. The interviewer asked this question because he didn't go to medical school for the fear that he would kill someone due to a mistake that he had made.

I just wanted to ask yall whether another approach could have been taken to answer this question. I am very scared of this question hurting my interview!!! Any advice would be helpful since this may come in future interviews:scared:

Thanks!!

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that you got that response from the interviewer after you answered. My understanding of these type of scenario questions is for the interviewer to see if you can think quickly and back up your answer. There's really not a right or wrong answer to those questions. I wouldn't worry too much about that hurting your chances.

Thanks!!

Wow, this is a tough one, especially since the interviewer kept following up with more scenarios. But honestly, I think the way you answered is fine, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like wrigley said above, there is no right or wrong answer to these questions. You said you would be honest, and that is the main thing (and honesty is the only thing that pertains to real life when these mistakes do happen). The follow-ups he gave are extreme, and I wouldn't know how to answer right away, as many other interviewees wouldn't.

I think you'll be fine! Good luck on your interviews!! :D :thumbup:

Wow, this is a tough one, especially since the interviewer kept following up with more scenarios. But honestly, I think the way you answered is fine, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like wrigley said above, there is no right or wrong answer to these questions. You said you would be honest, and that is the main thing (and honesty is the only thing that pertains to real life when these mistakes do happen). The follow-ups he gave are extreme, and I wouldn't know how to answer right away, as many other interviewees wouldn't.

I think you'll be fine! Good luck on your interviews!! :D :thumbup:

Thanks for the Help!!

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that you got that response from the interviewer after you answered. My understanding of these type of scenario questions is for the interviewer to see if you can think quickly and back up your answer. There's really not a right or wrong answer to those questions. I wouldn't worry too much about that hurting your chances.

Thanks for the help too!!

Thanks!!

I've asked this of doctors, and the best way to deal with this is to try to take responsibility but without (for legal reasons) saying it was 'your fault'. "We did the best we could, but there were complications, blah blah blah." Which, assuming it wasn't gross negligence, would be true. 'Your best' will include mistakes from time to time, no matter who you are.

But you answered fine. A lot of times, the interviewer will give you their "correct answer" to see how you respond to it. To see if you just argue, or if you understand their point of view (or both), or if you get rattled and unnerved. As long as you didn't do the latter, the fact that your answer might have been different than theirs isn't all that important. After all, you're not a doctor yet :)

Interview invite for the 29th of October! YAY! I'm very excited, especially since, though I worked hard on them, I didn't think my essays for tech were particularly unique (and I was relying on them more heavily than I would have if I had perfect stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite for the 29th of October! YAY! I'm very excited, especially since, though I worked hard on them, I didn't think my essays for tech were particularly unique (and I was relying on them more heavily than I would have if I had perfect stats.

Congratulations!!! You will love the school. :luck::luck:

Anyone get double teamed at their interview? I had two interviewers for both of my interviews when I went on August 6th. The second person in the room was there "observing" and co-interviewing, I guess because they were going to start interviewing eventually and wanted a few practice shots.

Not complaining, but just wondering how many more of you had this happen to them.

Anyone get double teamed at their interview? I had two interviewers for both of my interviews when I went on August 6th. The second person in the room was there "observing" and co-interviewing, I guess because they were going to start interviewing eventually and wanted a few practice shots.

Not complaining, but just wondering how many more of you had this happen to them.
nope.... one on one on both interviews.

Thanks!!

I think your answer was just fine and I would not be concerned at all about it hurting your chances at acceptance. He just wanted to get your opinion. I'm sorry that he kept on and on about it, I know that must have been stressful for you. Our interviews are, for the most part, extremely conversational....but every once in a while I hear something like this from someone. I'm sorry it had to be you for that interview day, but don't dwell on it. You had a great answer and I'm sure your interviewer backed you up in the ADCOM meeting.

I hope you otherwise enjoyed your day!!

This happened more at the early interview days when we were still training extra interviewers. We had an increase in the number of people we interviewed this year, so we had to up our interview training. Hope it didn't bother you too much, they were really there simply to learn how to interview - from what I understand they had no say in your acceptance. :)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have an interview here this Friday. Texas Tech seems like one of the friendliest med schools out there! I got an e-mail from my interviewer explaining a bit about himself, which I really appreciated. And my student host seems incredibly nice. I really can't wait to visit.

I have an interview here this Friday. Texas Tech seems like one of the friendliest med schools out there! I got an e-mail from my interviewer explaining a bit about himself, which I really appreciated. And my student host seems incredibly nice. I really can't wait to visit.
Woah you already know who your interviewer is? That's nice! I didn't find out till the day of...

I think your answer was just fine and I would not be concerned at all about it hurting your chances at acceptance. He just wanted to get your opinion. I'm sorry that he kept on and on about it, I know that must have been stressful for you. Our interviews are, for the most part, extremely conversational....but every once in a while I hear something like this from someone. I'm sorry it had to be you for that interview day, but don't dwell on it. You had a great answer and I'm sure your interviewer backed you up in the ADCOM meeting.

I hope you otherwise enjoyed your day!!

Thank you so much for those words of encouragement and relief. I guess all I can do now is hope for the best and wait for this month to go by. I like the idea that my interviewer backed me up in the ADCOM meeting haha.. But yea the interviewer was really nice overall. I won't stress too much about it now. Thanks again:)

I had something similar to me happen at UTMB!!! My question was about talking to terminally ill patients. I answered that i would be head on about this situation and talk honestly to the patient (and i brought up that medicine isn't a happy field:thumbup:). But he kept asking me the question every 2 minutes (not joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!)!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: It was like he was taking out his anger on me. :mad::mad:

It felt more like an interrogation than an interview. There's no right answer and I defended what I said. Now, time to pray:xf:

Yeah it's always difficult when they keep on repeating the question but it all ends well so hopefully good news will be coming our way in a month or so!!! :luck::luck:

I guess all I can do now is hope for the best and wait for this month to go by. I like the idea that my interviewer backed me up in the ADCOM meeting haha.. But yea the interviewer was really nice overall. I won't stress too much about it now. Thanks again:)

This is not directed only at you, but I quoted you because you reminded me of a great point:

Don't get TOO frustrated if you don't get a pre-match. Tech has tended to accept quite a few (most?) through the match in past years and accept far fewer than some other Texas schools via pre-match offers.

There will be some pre-match offers, for sure - but a LOT of my class got in through the match system and we wasted a lot of time and energy worrying from November 15 through the end of the year. :)

November 15 is NOT end all be all. You guys keep your heads up. Applications suck.

Just found out about an interview here on the 22! I'm so excited but was wondering if anyone knew how quickly tech gets back to OOS students? I know the first day to hear back is tomorrow (eek!) but since I'm interviewing after this I wasn't sure of the timeline.
I cannot wait to go to Lubbock and check out this school, I've heard nothing but great things.

Just found out about an interview here on the 22! I'm so excited but was wondering if anyone knew how quickly tech gets back to OOS students? I know the first day to hear back is tomorrow (eek!) but since I'm interviewing after this I wasn't sure of the timeline.
I cannot wait to go to Lubbock and check out this school, I've heard nothing but great things.

I'm hesitant to respond on this because i don't want to make you worry if you don't hear anything. But once the first date of allowing acceptances passes, it is on a rolling acceptance, which means they can let you know anytime after that but before jan. (i think...not sure about the jan part if that is just for in-state or not)

I do know someone who applied my year, who was a GREAT applicant, but who submitted late due to a car accident. She interviewed at tech on friday in early december (after they were allowed to let in-state know if they were accepted) and was accepted that next week.

But again, that is probably REALLY rare, so just take a deep breath and try not to worry too much until you hear back from them.

good luck!

Thanks!!

Kind of late on this, but i just want to echo what aggie said. I think your answer was GREAT. I'm not sure who your interviewer was, but my guess is that they were trying to see if you would back down on your belief. Plus, just because they said that was why they didn't go to medical school, doesn't mean they don't regret that decision. An answer like yours embodies what Tech looks for in students. Now, i don't know what your stats are or if any of your other questions were bad, but please rest assured that I don't think that your response would have ANY negative impact on your acceptance. :)

Kind of sounds to me like they were asking "do you have the courage to do what is right" (plus by trying to throw you off they can gage how you respond to stress and difficult situations)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. :xf:

;) Well, i'm a bit biased, but we really do love our school and I Hope you enjoy it too!

;) Well, i'm a bit biased, but we really do love our school and I Hope you enjoy it too!

We are definitely the nicest people in Med school. :)

Haha - Kidding, Kidding. But yes, for the most part, everyone here is extremely friendly. That's one of the things I loved about Tech when I interviewed, the atmosphere and administrators here are wonderful.

We are definitely the nicest people in Med school. :)

Haha - Kidding, Kidding. But yes, for the most part, everyone here is extremely friendly. That's one of the things I loved about Tech when I interviewed, the atmosphere and administrators here are wonderful.

I will have to agree. After leaving my interview, I had the impression that everyone there is like family. I really loved that, and I hope that I will be able to attend and be part of that family :) I still talk to my student host all the time and she is the nicest person I have ever met. The other day she emailed me on my birthday and told me that she had a real gift for me. Haha, it was a bunch of notes on cranial and facial nerves... :laugh: Looks like I am going to start studying now!

Congrats on the acceptance noshie! You deserve it..

As for Lubbock, what did you think of the town? I've never been there but I have an interview there next Friday. I'm a little hesitant because of how isolated it is but I do like that its on a full college campus, ie lots of people around.

How do the facilities compare with El Paso?

Congrats on the acceptance noshie! You deserve it..

As for Lubbock, what did you think of the town? I've never been there but I have an interview there next Friday. I'm a little hesitant because of how isolated it is but I do like that its on a full college campus, ie lots of people around.

How do the facilities compare with El Paso?

Thanks!

Well, I went to undergrad in Denton, and Lubbock reminded me of it, though I thought it was way bigger than that... They have everything I will need, but I don't need much! All I need is a target, a mall and some good restaurants. :rolleyes: Also, I am pretty settled, by that I mean married, so I don't get out much... El Paso is great though, the food is amazing and it's charming and full of culture. It's historic. I'm from the DFW area, so it's hard to compare the two... Neither are like Dallas, but both have their good and bad points... I didn't find Lubbock as isolated as most people have told me though. But when you get to the airport you may think that it is... :)

El Paso is way bigger, and very different. The culture is different, restaurants are different, city overall is different. It's an older city, whereas Lubbock is a newer growing city. When I landed in El Paso I noticed that all of the businesses were old... I saw an Arbys that has probably not changed since the 70s. It's retro looking over there... Lubbock is newer...

Lubbock campus is huge and amazing... El Paso campus is small and intimate... But I loved the El Paso medical center. It's a toss up for me...the students at both are so awesome too!

Good luck on you interview! Let me know how it goes!

Last edited:
Kind of late on this, but i just want to echo what aggie said. I think your answer was GREAT. I'm not sure who your interviewer was, but my guess is that they were trying to see if you would back down on your belief. Plus, just because they said that was why they didn't go to medical school, doesn't mean they don't regret that decision. An answer like yours embodies what Tech looks for in students. Now, i don't know what your stats are or if any of your other questions were bad, but please rest assured that I don't think that your response would have ANY negative impact on your acceptance. :)

Kind of sounds to me like they were asking "do you have the courage to do what is right" (plus by trying to throw you off they can gage how you respond to stress and difficult situations)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. :xf:

That was VERY VERY sweet of you and thank you so much for those kind and encouraging words!!. The rest of the interview went well and I'm sure they were just seeing if I can handle a situation like this and as you said fall into their trap and let go of my beliefs. I'm glad I held on to my will to tell the truth to the family. I'll just have to wait and watch now and hope for the best. :):)

@ Doctorforlife...I got a weird interviewer who pressed me the same way. Maybe we had the same one! lol. anyways I think the interview method of pressing the same question is a strategy to judge the interviewees and some key characteristics they might be looking for in us. Don't worry too much about your answer, I think the main thing is that you did not get frustrated or flustered. They might just be seeing how you respond to pressure.

OOS regular MD program. Haven't heard a thing since my interview. I'm really hoping to get accepted to this school too. It really seems like an excellent program with great facilities and all of the students and staff I met were extremely friendly.

OOS regular MD program. Haven't heard a thing since my interview. I'm really hoping to get accepted to this school too. It really seems like an excellent program with great facilities and all of the students and staff I met were extremely friendly.
Looking at last year's thread, they had handed out an acceptance on the Monday following October 15. I thought someone would have heard at least something by yesterday, but I guess not. Waiting is soooo difficult.

Anyone interviewing this Friday? If so, are you going to the night before coffee thing?

I'll be there on Friday! But I won't be at the coffee social because I'll still be driving in. Sounds fun, though! Good luck to you! :luck:

Anyone interviewing this Friday? If so, are you going to the night before coffee thing?
I went back when I interviewed. It's ok. Snacks are pretty good, there are a handful of MSIIs there that do a real good job of talking up the school.

I went back when I interviewed. It's ok. Snacks are pretty good, there are a handful of MSIIs there that do a real good job of talking up the school.

MSIs are in charge of the coffee social & interviews this week, we (MSIIs) have our Neuro final on Friday. Go easy on them, it's their first time being in charge of interview days! ;)

Buckminster....is your name from one of the princeton ochem ICC's where they talk about the molecule Buckminsterfullerine?

Buckminster....is your name from one of the princeton ochem ICC's where they talk about the molecule Buckminsterfullerine?

Yes, it is in reference to buckminsterfullerene (buckyballs). I'm not all that familiar with Princeton nor their ICC's, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was talked about since fullerenes are a hot topic right now.

I can tell you what my experience was but have no way of knowing if this is how it "usually" works. I interviewed at Tech in early November (complete late due to Aug MCAT) and was accepted 10 days after my interview when they were sending out all of the Nov 15th Texas pre-matches. I however had strong ties and my family who lived OOS for 8 years is now back in the Panhandle where I grew up.

My thoughts exactly! I seriously don't know if I am going to make it! Only 26 more days...

STILL 26? Arrrrrrrrgh...

Loved this school. Hoping for some good news!!! :thumbup:

GL to us all!! :xf: :luck:

Just got invited to interview... so stoked.
Nov 12th or 19th... hmmm decisions decisions.

Good luck and congrats everyone!

Just got invited to interview... so stoked.
Nov 12th or 19th... hmmm decisions decisions.

Good luck and congrats everyone!

12th! Before the first set of pre-matches are out. :)

WOOOOOHOOOOO! Accepted 10/18!!
Class of 2015, here I come!

For anyone else who is a re-applicant, just remember, there is hope!:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.