2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOOOOOHOOOOO! Accepted 10/18!!
Class of 2015, here I come!

For anyone else who is a re-applicant, just remember, there is hope!:D:D

When did you interview? And were you notified via email or snail mail? Are you OOS or dual program applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

When did you interview? And were you notified via email or snail mail? Are you OOS or dual program applicant?

Interviewed late August, notified via email, and yes, dual degree program applicant. In-state

Is it too early to lose hope!? OH ok, I know it's still early, but I suppose I am frustrated!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed late August, notified via email, and yes, dual degree program applicant. In-state

I forgot to say congrats. I'm OOS with strong ties to TX and I interviewed in early October, so hopefully I will hear some good news soon.

Oh wow! you already got notified and you're in state? I thought the first day to notify IS was Nov 15???

They notify OOS and dual degree program applicants (no matter their state affiliation) on october 15th. At least I am pretty sure thats right!

Oh wow! you already got notified and you're in state? I thought the first day to notify IS was Nov 15???

Dual-Degree applicants get to be notified earlier (with OOS applicants). Don't worry yet!! :)

CONGRATS paramed88! We look forward to seeing you at Tech in the Fall. :)

Congrats paramed!! :D

Going through this cycle only once (and it is agonizingly slow to finish) has me going bald. I can't imagine the stress of re-application. You earned it!! :)

Dual-Degree applicants get to be notified earlier (with OOS applicants). Don't worry yet!! :)

CONGRATS paramed88! We look forward to seeing you at Tech in the Fall. :)

Thanks Aggie08!!

By the way, sounds like you went to a fine undergrad insitution. C/o 2010 right here! :thumbup:

Congratulations!! I'm sure you are very excited but you deserve every bit of the happiness!! I hope you enjoyed the day that you got your acceptance and every day from now on!!! Every day is a celebration now:):):)

Thanks Aggie08!!

By the way, sounds like you went to a fine undergrad insitution. C/o 2010 right here! :thumbup:

Whoop! Even better - we need some more maroon in the land of red & black.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked this school, please dont make me change me mind :)

I really like this MED school, too....but your heart always stays with your Alma Mater. :D

If it makes you feel any better my two best friends here are a Tech grad and a UT grad.

I really like this MED school, too....but your heart always stays with your Alma Mater. :D

If it makes you feel any better my two best friends here are a Tech grad and a UT grad.

haha well of course, i will ALWAYS be a LONGHORN. This was just the first I had really heard people bring up their Alma Mater and I thought it was kind of funny.

but i really do love this med school and would be REALLY happy if I was pre-matched here on November 15th!!! :)

19 days before prematch.aaaaaaah!
I feel like my life is going to be at a halt for the next three weeks.
I can't stop thinking about NOV. 15!!:scared::scared:

19 days before prematch.aaaaaaah!
I feel like my life is going to be at a halt for the next three weeks.
I can't stop thinking about NOV. 15!!:scared::scared:

Me neither! It is all I think about... And all I care about right now... :eek:

hey guys, i'm interviewing at Tech on 12 Nov. I'm thinking about wearing a suit, which is a viridian jacket and black pants. Is this a good idea or should i stick to neutral shades such as black or grey?:)

hey guys, i'm interviewing at Tech on 12 Nov. I'm thinking about wearing a suit, which is a viridian jacket and black pants. Is this a good idea or should i stick to neutral shades such as black or grey?:)
I googled viridian and I'm going to assume you're a girl, so I'm going to stay out of this.

But if you were a guy, I'd say no.

casual jacket and black pants? Is this right? Hmm... If you feel comfortable in it go for it though! There were over 70 people at my interview at Tech, so I think standing out will only be a good thing... Not everyone wears the normal black, tan or grey!

Yeah, it's really hard to make a judgment without actually being able to see the clothing item. It could range anywhere from tasteful and different to something that's out of style or too casual.

Its not a casual suit but more businessy. Anyway, thanks guys for the advice. :D

casual jacket and black pants? Is this right? Hmm... If you feel comfortable in it go for it though! There were over 70 people at my interview at Tech, so I think standing out will only be a good thing... Not everyone wears the normal black, tan or grey!

Over 70!?!?! Wow. Looks like the only way to be remembered is by going blue or orange with top hat and cane, dumb and dumber style.

Over 70!?!?! Wow. Looks like the only way to be remembered is by going blue or orange with top hat and cane, dumb and dumber style.

That was our biggest interview date. ;) However, all ADCOM meetings regarding your acceptance happen right after your interview, meaning there is NO way your interviewer will forget you (well, one would hope). By the time you leave the school that day they have already met and had their discussions.

Dress in what you're comfortable in, there's not any reason to try and stand out or be different. :thumbup:

That was our biggest interview date. ;) However, all ADCOM meetings regarding your acceptance happen right after your interview, meaning there is NO way your interviewer will forget you (well, one would hope). By the time you leave the school that day they have already met and had their discussions.

Dress in what you're comfortable in, there's not any reason to try and stand out or be different. :thumbup:

Very interesting, I was wondering how they would manage that process and make it even to the people that weren't fresh in the interviewer's mind. Make sense to have the yes/no meeting right after the interview.

Anyhow, I had two great interviews at Tech Lubbock. I had little interest in a school this far from a big city but after visiting I can honestly say that its near the top of my list. The people and the school were amazing. Lots of schools talk about the students being a cohesive unit but this is one of the only places that I really felt it was true. Also, the campus is pretty amazing and they have a great football program (if you like that kind of thing). If they still had the Pirate I'd be 100% for sure, as it stands I'm 98.. ;-)

Only bad thing is that Lubbock floods like crazy when it rains. When I got to Lubbock the day before the interview the water was so deep on 19th street that it was running into peoples garages out in front of the university. My poor car, the water was deeper than the bottom of the doors. Thought I was going to have to take a canoe to the interview but by the next morning, all the water was gone like it never happened.

Hope I get a prematch offer, I would be very happy at Tech..

Only bad thing is that Lubbock floods like crazy when it rains. When I got to Lubbock the day before the interview the water was so deep on 19th street that it was running into peoples garages out in front of the university. My poor car, the water was deeper than the bottom of the doors. Thought I was going to have to take a canoe to the interview but by the next morning, all the water was gone like it never happened.

Hope I get a prematch offer, I would be very happy at Tech..

Glad to hear you liked it here. True story about the rain, I won't lie - it definitely floods and it's not fun. The drainage system is really bad. I drive a little car and there have probably been probably 2-3 times in the 1.5 years I've been here that I was worried about driving due to the water gathering. That being said, it rarely rains enough for it to get as bad as your describing....but it does happen and it does gather at least a little every time it rains. :thumbdown: On a positive note my car is just fine. :D

Ya, my car survived too so no harm done. Also, there was a handy dandy car wash for me to pull under just as the hail started. Almost like it was meant to be.

It was a sign...

:laugh:

Not sure what kind of sign but I liked the school so I'll take it as a good one..

Interviewed yesterday at TTUHSC Lubbock and it was very nice! It was definitely a larger interview group than any of the others I've been in, but everyone seemed very friendly. The second interviewer was super nice, but the questions he asked didn't leave much room for expansion on answers to include good stuff about myself I hoped I'd be able to communicate, but oh well :( We'll see I guess.

What was the "standard interview question" supposed to be, because I'm pretty sure I never got it???:(

Mine was something about a pharma rep sending me to Las Vegas. The interviewer was laughing at the question as he was reading it to me. First interviewer didn't ask a standard question as far as I could tell.

I don't remember having any questions out of the ordinary...if anything, I remember being asked what I like to read! Haha

I was asked what I would do if a patient ever asked me out on a date... Haha.

I also didn't know whether to laugh with the interviewer while they were asking it or not. Were they laughing because they knew I'd know the answer, or because I'm a huge troll? :p

I'm gonna get an interview invite from here this week! I can feel it!! lol

I was asked what I would do if a patient ever asked me out on a date... Haha.

I also didn't know whether to laugh with the interviewer while they were asking it or not. Were they laughing because they knew I'd know the answer, or because I'm a huge troll? :p

OMG! They asked me this too... I had a medical student interviewer, and he told me that they had to ask everyone because the school sent out an email that required this as one of their questions. I just started laughing when he asked me... I am married, and me and my interviewer had already discussed this. So him asking me if I would ever date a patient was crazy because I am married and can't date anyone... I told him that, and he asked me to pretend that I was not married and answer the question. I did answer it, but it was pretty ridiculous. I think something must have happened for them to require this question... There must have been some drama over this somewhere.

I don't remember having any questions out of the ordinary...if anything, I remember being asked what I like to read! Haha

Haha ok, one of them asked me what I liked to read and what the last thing I read was, but I didn't think that was it.

A friend of mine who interviewed there said the standard was supposed to be an academic honesty question like "If you were handed the answers to a test you had to take, would you look at them/use them?" Maybe it changes from group to group...?

Haha ok, one of them asked me what I liked to read and what the last thing I read was, but I didn't think that was it.

Yeah I was kicking myself when I actually answered this question with "Harry Potter"...didn't I read somewhere that the truth will set me free???

Haha actually my interviewer loved that response and we continued to have a nerd-fest for the next 10 minutes.

I did it! I decided to apply to the MD/MBA program! I have the MBA interview sometime this week via phone... I need some major advice about this interview from those of you that did it for this program during your MD interviews! I have no idea what they are going to ask! And I searched this on SDN and got nothing... Help me!!! :scared:

I did it! I decided to apply to the MD/MBA program! I have the MBA interview sometime this week via phone... I need some major advice about this interview from those of you that did it for this program during your MD interviews! I have no idea what they are going to ask! And I searched this on SDN and got nothing... Help me!!! :scared:

I don't have any advice for you but GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure they will love you! And im still sad i didn't get to meet you at our interview day up there!

:luck:

I interviewed for MD-MBA on sept 17, still haven't heard back :xf:.
My interviewer was Tim Nix, the faculty at MBA program. Know everything about the program, he might ask you what you know about it & if you want to know anything from him, so prepare questions. He asked me why I wanted to do MBA- Have realistic expectations, realize its a HOM so its only good for hospital management. Asked me about my background in business. It was mostly very conversational.

I don't have any advice for you but GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure they will love you! And im still sad i didn't get to meet you at our interview day up there!

:luck:

Aww, thanks! Maybe we will end up as future classmates though! :)

I decided the day of my MD interview to go ahead and interview for the MBA as well, and had Dr. Nix as well. Really nice guy, he spent about 25 minutes talking about the program, why they started it and why it is important and how doctors normally suck at business, and how many wish they had something like this when they went through school, etc. I honestly felt as though he didn't even interview me. But then we spent another 15 minutes or so talking about my leadership experience in college and the organization that I was in and how its leadership development program is structured. We actually went overtime and he made me late for my 2nd MD interview. But he's a really nice guy if you get to talk to him.

I decided the day of my MD interview to go ahead and interview for the MBA as well, and had Dr. Nix as well. Really nice guy, he spent about 25 minutes talking about the program, why they started it and why it is important and how doctors normally suck at business, and how many wish they had something like this when they went through school, etc. I honestly felt as though he didn't even interview me. But then we spent another 15 minutes or so talking about my leadership experience in college and the organization that I was in and how its leadership development program is structured. We actually went overtime and he made me late for my 2nd MD interview. But he's a really nice guy if you get to talk to him.

Thanks! This helps a lot! Did you get any word about the acceptance for it yet? I know some in staters did already hear back. Not sure if everyone who applied for it got in already. Wonder if it gives you an advantage... Guess not since they do the MD thing first.

Thanks! This helps a lot! Did you get any word about the acceptance for it yet? I know some in staters did already hear back. Not sure if everyone who applied for it got in already. Wonder if it gives you an advantage... Guess not since they do the MD thing first.
Nope, haven't heard anything yet. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't give any advantage to the MD portion of your app. Good luck with your interview, let us know how it goes.

gaaaah I wish Lubbock wasn't so far away from everything.

Rank List Question..

Anyone else having trouble choosing which Tech school (Lubbock or El Paso) to rank higher? I can't decide which one I would prefer to attend. If you have chosen one over the other, what led to your decision?

Rank List Question..

Anyone else having trouble choosing which Tech school (Lubbock or El Paso) to rank higher? I can't decide which one I would prefer to attend. If you have chosen one over the other, what led to your decision?

I would rank lubbock higher. I really got such a great vibe from the students and its not quite as small. I also like that its a more established. and I really liked that its right next to the undergrad campus so you get all of those advantages as well. I could just see myself there for 4 years much easier than I could in El Paso (not to mention my parents would worry much less)

Thanks princess,

I agree with everything you said, the same things make me want to attend Lubbock too. It would be interesting though being in El Paso considering the crazy stuff that comes through the hospitals there. You would see stuff there that you may not see anywhere else in the US. There are benefits to being in a large city like El Paso too, but there are also good things about living in a small town.

Such a hard decision.

I'm really on the fence as well. I like the facilities and the atmosphere in Lubbock, but I like the curriculum and mountains in El Paso (I'm an outdoorsy person). As far as distance from home goes, one is 9 hours by car, the other is 12, but I can take the train or plane from El Paso, can only take the plane from Lubbock.

But like you said, Lubbock is much more established as a school, they have the lectures recorded so that you can pull up lectures whenever you want. They've got that brand new huge and awesome sim center.

Status
Not open for further replies.