2010-2011 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you were waitlisted? I'd have thought those stats would've gotten u an acceptance without waitlist. So unlss its due to ECs being as u said "standard" or ur letters or essays I don't get why you were waitlisted in the first place.

Congratulations.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd not waste time on an MS. Just boost ur grades up with postbac higher science classes and like I said might want to use ur music skills to do something cool and interesting like I suggested above. Might help make u stand out. maybe help teach sick children for free or something if you can? Like cancer patients or terminally ill kids. Put on a concert to raise money for a charity and organize a charity. Like I said do something creative.

That is what got this girl in who posts a lot in the lounge under the username of the HP character severus.

She had really high stats but not much interesting in terms of ECs despite 3 majors. Then she took 2 years off and did all these cool things with teaching tennis and other stuff to people and got into some pretty badass schools -- talking top 10 schools.

Damn, maybe I should learn how to play tennis.

I've done a ton of extra-curricular stuff, homeless shelters, medical missions, sports leadership, etc. But yea, maybe the stuff I do just needs some zest to make it more marketable.

It's might also just be a matter of being patient with the waitlist, my GPA is a touch low...so it may be that's how I ended up on the waitlist rather than accepted straight out.

I'd not waste time on an MS. Just boost ur grades up with postbac higher science classes and like I said might want to use ur music skills to do something cool and interesting like I suggested above. Might help make u stand out. maybe help teach sick children for free or something if you can? Like cancer patients or terminally ill kids. Put on a concert to raise money for a charity and organize a charity. Like I said do something creative.

That is what got this girl in who posts a lot in the lounge under the username of the HP character severus.

She had really high stats but not much interesting in terms of ECs despite 3 majors. Then she took 2 years off and did all these cool things with teaching tennis and other stuff to people and got into some pretty badass schools -- talking top 10 schools.

Thank you for the suggestions btw, and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, maybe I should learn how to play tennis.

I've done a ton of extra-curricular stuff, homeless shelters, medical missions, sports leadership, etc. But yea, maybe the stuff I do just needs some zest to make it more marketable.

It's might also just be a matter of being patient with the waitlist, my GPA is a touch low...so it may be that's how I ended up on the waitlist rather than accepted straight out.

I don't think its your ECs. It's your gpa. I think Wayne is one of those schools that tends to rate gpa over mcat in certain aspects. But still, I don't see why they haven't accepted you yet. Have you been accepted to other schools? If not, have you sent Wayne a letter? I'd really recommend emailing an update letter to Dawn showing that you are still interested and genuinely want to attend. I got a call around 3 days after sending a letter in, and that was before May 15. If you know a physician that works at Wayne or in DMC or something then also get them to go to Dawn and speak on your behalf. Again, I was fortunate enough to have someone talk for me and I think it really helped.

If for some reason it doesnt happen this year, then try to pursue a 1 year Masters. That's really the only way you'd be able to raise your GPA, if as you said you've taken too many UG classes to be able to successfully raise your GPA.

Goodluck. I hope to see you in August.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure many people here appreciate it.

Just curious, why did you choose to go to Oakland as opposed to Wayne?

Wayne is an excellent school and has a lot of great qualities; it was not easy to turn it down. Much of the decision was simply a result of my gut instinct but I definitely did a lot of thinking. I liked the small class size of Oakland (50 people), the opportunity to do rotations at Beaumont, the school's location (Rochester, MI), the systems-based curriculum, and the school's philosophy of producing physician-leaders. The idea of going to a new med school is concerning but I was impressed with OUWB's preparedness and organization on interview day. I'm looking forward to having a significant role in molding the future of the school and to have a wide-open field in which to start student organizations. Finally, I was disappointed that few people physically show up to lectures at Wayne (also the case at most of the other schools at which I interviewed). OUWB stressed the fact that they will be implementing a lot of active and problem-based learning so I expect to see and learn with my classmates every day. Oakland also offered me a significant scholarship. It really just boiled down to personal preference and learning style. I'm positive I'll get a great education at Oakland but I know Wayne could have molded me into just as excellent a physician.

congrats to all who are getting in from the waitlist!

See post 856 a few posts above this one.

He answered the question there.

In fact, its the post above my previous post.

Ah, I got it. Thanks! I guess you'd win whether OU or Wayne, I really was interested in OU as well.

Originally posted by iniesta
I have the same question Moot, why did you decide on OU's med school rather than Wayne? Especially as a fellow in-stater, I believe OU is about 10k more in cost per year than Wayne, not yet accredited, first year, etc. Was there something you felt set OU apart from Wayne?
See post 856 a few posts above this one.

He answered the question there.

In fact, its the post above my previous post.

To more specifically address iniesta's questions: OUWB has its preliminary accreditation (http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm#Michigan). The four-year scholarship Oakland offered me actually makes the tuition very similar to Wayne's.

And, not that it matters much in an online forum, but I'm a girl, gujudoc. :slap: :)

Wayne is an excellent school and has a lot of great qualities; it was not easy to turn it down. Much of the decision was simply a result of my gut instinct but I definitely did a lot of thinking. I liked the small class size of Oakland (50 people), the opportunity to do rotations at Beaumont, the school's location (Rochester, MI), the systems-based curriculum, and the school's philosophy of producing physician-leaders. The idea of going to a new med school is concerning but I was impressed with OUWB's preparedness and organization on interview day. I'm looking forward to having a significant role in molding the future of the school and to have a wide-open field in which to start student organizations. Finally, I was disappointed that few people physically show up to lectures at Wayne (also the case at most of the other schools at which I interviewed). OUWB stressed the fact that they will be implementing a lot of active and problem-based learning so I expect to see and learn with my classmates every day. Oakland also offered me a significant scholarship. It really just boiled down to personal preference and learning style. I'm positive I'll get a great education at Oakland but I know Wayne could have molded me into just as excellent a physician.

Thank you for the detailed response, Moot. :) I also really enjoyed OUWB's enthusiasm and proposed direction. I think that the M1s will be very successful, instrumental, and will help shape the direction of the curriculum in a positive manner. Also, there's no doubt that you will develop a more personal relationship with the doctors and professors due to the small class size - and that networking will undoubtedly be very helpful later on!

Congratulations and all the best! :thumbup:

+1 woohoo!

Thank you for the detailed response, Moot. :) I also really enjoyed OUWB's enthusiasm and proposed direction. I think that the M1s will be very successful, instrumental, and will help shape the direction of the curriculum in a positive manner. Also, there's no doubt that you will develop a more personal relationship with the doctors and professors due to the small class size - and that networking will undoubtedly be very helpful later on!

Congratulations and all the best! :thumbup:

Thanks, ConformMe! I wish you the best as well.

does anyone know any links to where I can see which immunizations i need to complete and the background check or do we have to worry about all of that stuff at orientation?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait list stop moving already?

If I remember correctly from last year, it stops and starts a lot.

They seem to wait for a bunch of people to drop, then send out invites to replace those applicants.

If I remember correctly from last year, it stops and starts a lot.

They seem to wait for a bunch of people to drop, then send out invites to replace those applicants.

Sounds about right. Remember, they first started calling people last week and they give them 3 weeks to accept or reject the offer. Expect more waitlist movement in about 2 weeks.

A friend of mine (not this year's class) got in off the waitlist in June. Don't give up hope.

SpAnKz, I have a question for you.
I know you're a reapplicant and was wondering if there was anything you did to add to your application (retake the MCAT, boost up your gpa, volunteer etc.)? Or do you know why you got accepted this year as opposed to last year if you don't mind sharing? Just trying to be extremely prepared for this round. Thanks!

SpAnKz, I have a question for you.
I know you're a reapplicant and was wondering if there was anything you did to add to your application (retake the MCAT, boost up your gpa, volunteer etc.)? Or do you know why you got accepted this year as opposed to last year if you don't mind sharing? Just trying to be extremely prepared for this round. Thanks!

Not really sure. I mean, I continued doing research, I had more publications, more volunteering, etc. But I'm not sure if any of that pushed me over the border.

I wish I knew more to tell you. I can tell you that you can never gauge your own admission by stats alone. I've seen people with below 27's get in without being waitlisted and people with high 30's be rejected outright. The admissions process is so subjective it can drive you crazy at times.

I guess my best advice would be to find your weakest points on your application and improve on them. Make sure your back up plans can boost your application at the same time. In other words, don't reapply while working at a job that has no relevance whatsoever to medicine. Continue volunteering or shadowing. Demonstrate you have a continued interest in medicine.

Don't give up hope. Remember, this is the BEGINNING of waitlist season. Calls are going to stop for a couple weeks and then pick up again as those who got the call but decided to attend elsewhere begin declining their offers. You have 3 weeks from the time of the offer until you have to make a decision. I wouldn't start worrying until about July 1, give or take.

The Class of 2015 Facebook group only has ~220 members in it. The class will be about 300. Yes, 300 people have been offered admission, but obviously not all 300 are guaranteed to accept their offers.

Hi guys, I'm new to this and am a fellow waitlister. My family thinks I'm crazy for being so stressed out about being waitlisted, but I'm happy to see there are other people in the universe just like me, lol :)

The information I have gathered is that 30 offers were sent since May 15th. When offers are made the student has 3 weeks to accept the offer. AMCAS sends updates to each school about students who have been accepted at other institutions, so I think it would be in your best interest to send a letter of intent to your top choice school (just my opinion). On my waitlist letter it said "applicants that have matriculated to any other U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year will be withdrawn from any further consideration for admission by Wayne State University School of Medicine".

In addition, I wanted to add that the waitlist have 3 tiers and students are ranked. However, some students can get pulled from the waitlist faster than others irrespective of their rank. For example, WSU looks at the demographics of the class size and if it seems that their is a low population of minority students, then these students may get pulled from the waitlist before someone with a higher ranking than them would.

WSU also considers your entire application. I wasn't even going to apply this year because I got an extremely low mcat score. After some encouragement from someone at the medical school, I decided to apply. I applied at the beginning of November so it was relatively late in the application cycle, but I was blessed to have recieved a secondary, march 21st interview, and then waitlisted with my EXTREMELY LOW mcat and mediocre gpa. So I say this to let you know that stats aren't the single most important thing. Stay encouraged and try to not to frustrate yourself with this process. Things are happening right now as we speak, so your phone call/email could be right around the corner :)

Last edited:
PBN,

Thanks for your words of encouragement and optimism! This process is SOOOO stressful and it really helps to know there are plenty of others in the same situation as myself. Good luck to you! :xf:

"applicants that have matriculated to any other U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year will be withdrawn from any further consideration for admission by Wayne State University School of Medicine"

Did it really say osteopathic as well. I can't remember. I got accepted to MSUCOM (MSU's DO school) yesterday and they want me to turn in a bunch of paperwork by June 3 (I sent it all today). Among those documents was this one thing that says I agree to go to their school (not a binding contract), but I guess that makes matriculation official. MSU is obviously giving me little-to-no time, especially since their anatomy class starts in July. I'm really worried that now WSU will withdraw my application. I can't take the risk of not matriculating at MSU only to find out later that WSU rejected me anyways. I went to the admissions office today and gave them an update letter (not sure they really care). I talked to the lady at the desk about the waitlist and she said it won't really slow down until late July. I told her about my issue w/ MSUCOM and she said something to the effect of "that sucks for you." What do you guys think of this? Anyone else having this same problem? My friend told me that last year his friend fully matriculated to MSUCOM after the May 15, then got accepted to WSU and left MSU. Does this mean that sometimes WSU doesn't find out if you matriculated elsewhere?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no cross-talk between osteopathic and allopathic acceptances. If you submit your paperwork to MSUCOM, I don't think WSU will receive any notification.

Remember, it is your duty to stay on top of acceptances, and notify schools of your decision in a timely manner.

Oh yeah, of course I'm staying on top of the MSUCOM paperwork. I received the stuff via e-mail yesterday, filled out everything right away and then mailed it out today. I hope you're right about the "no cross-talk" thing. Allopathic and osteopathic med schools don't ever seem to share any resources (like applications, transcripts and LORs), so MSUCOM better not share matriculation information with WSU.

thanks for the information PBN :) those sound a lot like my stats! good luck :luck:

So if I am recently accepted into another school but still prefer WSUSOM over that school, do I inform WSUSOM about the situation? I am not sure if they have any information on my status. I emailed them a couple weeks ago about the wait list status and they never responded.

I'm not sure about the "cross talk" thing, but I just double checked the letter I recieved and that's what it said. Its in the last sentence of the letter from Dr. Norman.

I called the admissions office earlier today and they told me about AMCAS sending an update to the schools when I asked them about what if someone gets in elsewhere without notifying WSU, what would happen to the seat they took up if they already paid their deposit. Then her response was about the AMCAS updates so they keep an eye on who is getting into other places. I guess that was her way of answering me :shrug:

Addaras if you call they will give you an update over the phone and you can also ask how many offers have been made off the wait list thus far.

Thanks for the warm wishes and good luck to you all :woot:

Last edited:
Hey!

I was taken off the waitlist at WSUSOM on the 16th and was going to be attending MSUCOM. When I got my acceptance, I personally delivered my acceptance deposit/form to the admissions office the next day, then waited a week just to make sure I was all set. I then sent an email to MSUCOM and withdrew my acceptance there. I had already paid my tuition/all the matriculation forms and about 2 days later I was completely withdrawn.

The admissions office at WSUSOM knew I was already going to be enrolling in MSUCOM and she had no issues.

Moral of my story: as long you don't walk into Class in the last week of June I think you're fine to withdraw without being classified as having matriculated.

From what an admissions committee member told me at another school, the official "point-of-no-return" for matriculation at a particular school is attending orientation.

From what an admissions committee member told me at another school, the official "point-of-no-return" for matriculation at a particular school is attending orientation.

This is correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once you attend an orientation for a school you are no longer considered on the waitlist evenif there is still movement and you were to be next off the list.

This usually only affects those individuals who are attending schools with early starts like July or May starting. For instance, FSU acceptees who might have gotten off in June at another school often never see what would've happened at another school because they start around Memorial day time i.e. end of May.

Good luck.

"Moral of my story: as long you don't walk into Class in the last week of June I think you're fine to withdraw without being classified as having matriculated."

:( This really worries me because if I come of the waitlist, it might not be until late July, which is already a few weeks into classes at MSUCOM, who's orientation is June 22-24.

So if I am recently accepted into another school but still prefer WSUSOM over that school, do I inform WSUSOM about the situation? I am not sure if they have any information on my status. I emailed them a couple weeks ago about the wait list status and they never responded.

They will not tell you about where you are ont he waitlist. But best you can do is write a letter of intent or interest and maybe throw in some updates in there.

That is what I did.

I'm debating whether I should do what my friend suggested and try to write such letter to the dean themselves.

I like gujuDoc's idea of writing a letter directly to the dean.

I like gujuDoc's idea of writing a letter directly to the dean.

actually it was the idea of my friend who is now M3 at GW. lol. Don't give me the credit. If she didn't say to do it I'd never have dared to think it. lol. She's a lot more bold then me and I admire her for it.

To everyone accepted.... CONGRATULATIONS!

To everyone waitlisted... don't lose hope. I love reading this thread and watching people get accepted off the waitlist.

I am seriously gunning for WSU this app cycle. I absolutely LOVE the school, and I hope it loves me back.

Anyways, keep it real guys and I hope to see some of you next year.

Just Got the Call!!!!!! Accepted! Wayne State Baby! :soexcited:

Just Got the Call!!!!!! Accepted! Wayne State Baby! :soexcited:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :banana: :banana: Party time!!!!! :D

Very happy for you. Like i said, as an in stater you especially deserve this. Glad it worked out for one of us.

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!!!:clap:

Congrats!!!! hopefully we all hear some good news today!

hey, been reading this thread all winter/spring/summer, just wanted to thank you all, you've been an awesome source of information and all around support. Just called the admissions office, Dawn's on her lunch break now...back in 30 minutes hopefully ready to finish off some more offers, watch your phones!

I wonder when this is all over if they still have a lot of people on the waitlist...hopefully not!! :)

I wonder when this is all over if they still have a lot of people on the waitlist...hopefully not!! :)

When I called yesterday, she said there were still about a couple hundred!

When I called yesterday, she said there were still about a couple hundred!

Well that's not too surprising. Sounds like they took only 40 or 80 maybe now off.

There's usually waitlists of 200-300 at some places. This is a school with nearly 300 seats so it would be possible they'd have at least that many waitlist spots in the event that every person dropped.

I mean even UCF had a waitlist of 225 or so. If they really only got to top 1/3 they'd have gotten maybe through 60-75 students. And if people didn't willingly withdraw off the waitlist, this means they'd still be at 150 people on the waitlist.

So its not that surprising. I just wish they'd give some idea of where we sit on the waitlist. But I guess we can't do anything about it. Just pray I suppose.

Anyone know what percentage actually get off of it?

a previous post said that about 78% of waitlisters are eventually offered admission. but that was an estimate based off of previous threads

a previous post said that about 78% of waitlisters are eventually offered admission. but that was an estimate based off of previous threads

I thought this too, but its actually more like 50-60% for instaters. You have a 78% chance of getting in if you are given an INTERVIEW but after you are waitlisted, the chance drops a little bit. (Assuming trends are the same from previous years)

In the end, it doesnt really matter to dwell on stupid statistics, all that matters is that you get the call.

Yeah, that percentage was for years past. It also referred to the percentage of people offered admission of those that were interviewed, not of those on the waitlist.

There may be a lot of people on the waitlist, but that's normal. Lots of people will accept their offers, but lots will decline. Don't give up hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.