**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to both PCOM branches, CCOM, MSU-COM, and NYCOM. I have heard from lots of people that I don't have enough volunteering and was wondering what any of you had to say.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both PCOM branches, CCOM, MSU-COM, and NYCOM. I have heard from lots of people that I don't have enough volunteering and was wondering what any of you had to say.

In my opinion you have pretty good EC's, for what it's worth.

Where are you applying? If you know your GPA is around average and you know your MCAT is above average, and you have research and volunteer activities...is there something specific about your application you fear is going to get you rejected?

His GPA is not really "around average". It is .21 points above average.

His MCAT is 3 points above average.

He has a ridiculous amount of awards.

There were people talking about this in another thread. Sometimes, it seems, people just want reassurance that their stats are amazing.

PreMed1437, your stats and awards are amazing. If we could go to Vegas and bet on applications like we can with football and baseball games, I'd bet my life savings on you getting into a DO school.

Now, let's refocus our attention to those with lower stats.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your application and ECs look good to me... Where are you from though? PCOM has a regional bias (talked about it in the "PCOM weird admissions" thread), MSU-COM is a state school and charges insane tuition (also make sure you have looked at their secondary) and NYCOM favors NY residents fairly heavily.

Just for some input.

Alright I'll skip the stats/ECs because I've posted them a million times over but what is everyone's opinion on school selection. I'm sitting here trying to convince myself to apply to different places or apply more broadly but I simply can't picture myself being happy away from a coast. I've lived in Southern California, Florida and Long Island so I've never been far. I have friends in AZ and its a drive I can make to home so I've included that as well.

Already Applied to: AZCOM, CCOM, LECOM-B, Nova, PCOM, Touro-NV, Western

Pending application (depending on this stupid 50/32 pricing problem): PCOM-GA, LECOM, NYCOM, Touro-Ca, UMDNJ

Considering: VCOM (regional bias is turning me off since my stats aren't great), KCOM (only because of its reputation), DMU?, RVU (at least there is snowboarding? but horror stories of for profit schools), OSUCOM (huge school feel, heavy in state though and again...stats), Touro-NY (secondary fee is 200 bucks! I'm having a hard enough time paying)

Anyone have some ideas on other schools that I should consider (because they are lenient on stat gaps, or otherwise) or anyone from the coast/nice weather have stories of how you like it at other schools somewhere you never thought of living? Jagger I know you are going to KCOM, how are you going to deal w/ leaving California (or did you not love it here anyway?) I'd like to apply more broadly but I just can't picture living somewhere in the middle of the country.

**and yes I know NYCOM and PCOM have regional favoritism. I'm hoping that my being born in NY and honest desire to go back there will help me get considered**

Last edited:
PreMed1437, your stats and awards are amazing. If we could go to Vegas and bet on applications like we can with football and baseball games, I'd bet my life savings on you getting into a DO school.

I'm assuming you meant the other guy and not me? I haven't even posted my stats

**and yes I know NYCOM and PCOM have regional favoritism. I'm hoping that my being born in NY and honest desire to go back there will help me get considered**

What is the "region" of preference for these schools? Would MA be considered close enough to either?

Hello everybody, I'd appreciate some wise "chances"-related opinions.

Just submitted primary app today, schools: DMU, NYCOM, CCOM, UNECOM, Touro-CA, Western, and UMDNJ.

I am a CA resident, attended a UC. ~3.5 cGPA and ~3.4 sGPA with upward trend. 34L MCAT: 10P, 11V, 13B.

Good clinical and work experience, not so much research.

LORs: 2 science proff, 2 physician (MD), 1 work supervisor, No DO

Which of the 7 schools do I have a better chance at? Which do I have less chance at?

Thanks
:xf:

I see acceptances at all of them. If you are somewhat "normal" in your interviews you should be fine. You should throw in some MD schools, but make sure you nail your PS and secondaries to help show them that you really can write in English, but you just don't fare well under timed typing conditions.

What is the "region" of preference for these schools? Would MA be considered close enough to either?

Not sure, its not a disclosed fact. They seem to want people who are likely to stay there to practice after. I think NYCOM likes mostly New Yorkers, PCOM is east coast favoritism.

That said, anyone have input on school choices? I'm adding KCOM, it may be the last to make the cut

Hello everybody, I'd appreciate some wise "chances"-related opinions.

Just submitted primary app today, schools: DMU, NYCOM, CCOM, UNECOM, Touro-CA, Western, and UMDNJ.

I am a CA resident, attended a UC. ~3.5 cGPA and ~3.4 sGPA with upward trend. 34L MCAT: 10P, 11V, 13B.

Good clinical and work experience, not so much research.

LORs: 2 science proff, 2 physician (MD), 1 work supervisor, No DO

Which of the 7 schools do I have a better chance at? Which do I have less chance at?

Thanks
:xf:

ohhh pre-meds. Although i have a feeling in med school these same people will be saying "i only got in the top 5% on the USMLE, what are my chances"

Yes you have a great chance. If you took a few mins to read some of these forums you would see right away you have higher stats then most people here

Hi all! I've been lurking around SDN for quite some time now, reading up on anything DO related--especially the underdog thread since I am one myself. I'll admit the decision to aim for med. school was a recent one, so I don't have crazy EC's like everyone else, but plan on changing that in the next year or so.

So, here it goes:

Started out at a CC (attended for one semes. and a summer sess.; GPA was 3.8). Transferred to a competitive 4yr. university. Declared major: C/M bio (BS).

First 2 years were a fluke, had no direction, failed 4 classes because I didn't care enough to withdraw, which I have since repeated, but have only managed C+'s and B's. The worst thing is that they were ALL prereq's (physics 1, chem 1, chem 2, orgo 1). I soooo regret this.

Overall GPA for the first two years is ~1.9.
Academic suspension for one semester:eek:, but aced classes at a jr. college.

Since then I have upped it to a nonSci =3.1, sci = 3.05, and a cGPA of 3.07 (according to AACOMAS). Made dean's list one semester junior year :thumbup:

Sudden change in academic performance was due my father's and my uncle's stroke, which both happened virtually at the same time. I was set on PT after going with him to rehab sessions, but after volunteering at a PT clinic, I realized not only did I want to help patients post-trauma, but prevent them from ever happening in the first place. My dad has recovered minus a noticeable gait irregularity, but my uncle has sustained more serious damage.

As far as EC's, so far:
-50 hrs. volunteering at a phys. therapy clinic
-About to log some serious hours at my univ. as a sports medicine intern this coming semester
-ofc going to shadow various DO's
-Am going to try and get some research experience under my belt, but it will be tough considering my less-than-stellar GPA.
-Need time to prep for MCAT's so I will be taking them next semes.

Given a continuing upward trend in my GPA (max is prob. ~3.2), and some more EC's, and a theoretical MCAT of 30ish what are my chances?

The thing that worries me the most is the suspension...has anyone ever heard of this happen to people that were accepted? No extenuating circumstances, just pure laziness.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!! And thanks to those of you who made it this far in reading my story = ]

HEY.

So I am planing on applying to a few DO schools around the middle of July, and I wanted some feedback from the list.

Starting in the next week or two, I will be shadowing 2 DOs in my area -- one does Pulmonary Critical Care and the other is a Cardiologist. There is no primary care or internal medicine DO within walking distance to me [and I don't have a car].

I don't think I will shadow these physicians long enough for a recommendation, so besides these shadowing experiences my application will include:

- Illinois resident (living in Ohio for five years though)
- 3.57cGPA, 3.45sGPA
- 32Q Mcat (11P-10V-11B)
- 5 recommendations (2 science profs, 1 nonscience, 1 research MD, 1 employer MD) -- I realize some schools want an MD/DO clinical experience recommendation, which I have none.

Undergrad:
+ 4 Summer Internships at Hospital (Rehab, Nuclear medicine, operating services, BME)
+ Research Assistant - Urology
+ Orthopaedic Department Research - Working on Publication
+ President of Amnesty International - 1 year president/1 year PR rep/3.5 year member
+ Volunteer/Tutor ACT at local high school - one year
+ Sorority Girl - 2 years
+ Volunteered at Animal Shelter - 6 months

Graduate:
+ 4.0 GPA
+ Working on thesis - neurobiology and behavior
+ Nursing Home Volunteer - 5 months onward
+ Teaching Assistant - Human Anatomy and Biorobotics
+ International Co-op Admissions Manager - 2 months
+ About to start volunteering at local hospital
+ DO shadowing

Schools considering applying to:
CCOM
LECOM
OUCOM
MSUCOM
KCOM
PCOM- <3 Philly
UNE-COM

How does the list look? Should I knock any out? I'm applying to about 30 MD medical schools, so I don't want too many DO schools to apply too. Also, is it OK that I am waiting until mid-July to apply? I am starting the application now and sending in transcripts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

HEY.

So I am planing on applying to a few DO schools around the middle of July, and I wanted some feedback from the list.

Starting in the next week or two, I will be shadowing 2 DOs in my area -- one does Pulmonary Critical Care and the other is a Cardiologist. There is no primary care or internal medicine DO within walking distance to me [and I don't have a car].

I don't think I will shadow these physicians long enough for a recommendation, so besides these shadowing experiences my application will include:

- 3.57cGPA, 3.45sGPA
- 32Q Mcat (11P-10V-11B)
- 5 recommendations (2 science profs, 1 nonscience, 1 research MD, 1 employer MD) -- I realize some schools want an MD/DO clinical experience recommendation, which I have none.

Undergrad:
+ 4 Summer Internships at Hospital (Rehab, Nuclear medicine, operating services, BME)
+ President of Amnesty International - 1 year president/1 year PR rep/3.5 year member

Graduate:
+ 4.0 GPA
+ DO shadowing

CCOM
LECOM
OUCOM
MSUCOM
KCOM
PCOM- <3 Philly
UNE-COM

How does the list look? Should I knock any out? I'm applying to about 30 MD medical schools, so I don't want too many DO schools to apply too. Also, is it OK that I am waiting until mid-July to apply? I am starting the application now and sending in transcripts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Your fine however if your not a Ohio resident you'll have to sign a 5 year contract to remain in Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY.

- 3.57cGPA, 3.45sGPA
- 32Q Mcat (11P-10V-11B)

Undergrad:

Graduate:
+ 4.0 GPA
+ DO shadowing

CCOM
LECOM
OUCOM
MSUCOM
KCOM
PCOM- <3 Philly
UNE-COM

If you submit mid-July don't expect to be verified until September. Just throwin it out there. If you are OK with that than go for it, if not I'd recommend getting everything in and submitted now

Your fine however if your not a Ohio resident you'll have to sign a 5 year contract to remain in Ohio.

If only the could retroact my five years here already, haha. Ohio is not that bad though -- though I hope to one day be on a nice lake or oceanside.

If you submit mid-July don't expect to be verified until September. Just throwin it out there. If you are OK with that than go for it, if not I'd recommend getting everything in and submitted now

Yea, I didn't think about that. Maybe I will hold off until the first day I shadow one of the DOs so I can have an actual experience description with them and then send it out - that would be right at the end of June. OR Do you think I can include this information in the secondaries?

Guess I should starting preparing the AACOM now... and see when my transcripts get in and submit it then.

If only the could retroact my five years here already, haha. Ohio is not that bad though -- though I hope to one day be on a nice lake or oceanside.

Yea, I didn't think about that. Maybe I will hold off until the first day I shadow one of the DOs so I can have an actual experience description with them and then send it out - that would be right at the end of June. OR Do you think I can include this information in the secondaries?

Guess I should starting preparing the AACOM now... and see when my transcripts get in and submit it then.

If you have other shadowing experiences its not necessary that it be a DO, you will need a DO letter for some schools for secondaries and many will ask you in interviews if you've had experience with DOs. Also, almost all secondaries ask about osteopathic principles or why DO so its good to have an answer to that question. You can send almost an identical app as you would to AMCAS, my app is the same.

So due to personal reasons, I was unable to take the MCAT early. Thus I am scheduled to take it August 20th. I have been studying really hard and that is going well. But my problem is that I have a very low GPA (3.29) and decent EC's.

I won't get my scores back until September 21st. My questions is what should I do in the mean time (besides studying for MCAT)? Should I fill out my applications (primaries) before MCATs? Can I submit them without grades (I heard varifying takes a long time. I just don't know what to do. Do I even have a reasonable shot at a medical school in the states?

My last question is: What DO schools other then PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM should I apply to with these stats. BTW I am getting around ~30 on my MCATs. Practice.

Thanks for your help guys. I am just panicing and neeed some advice from the intelligent SDN crowd !

So due to personal reasons, I was unable to take the MCAT early. Thus I am scheduled to take it August 20th. I have been studying really hard and that is going well. But my problem is that I have a very low GPA (3.29) and decent EC's.

I won't get my scores back until September 21st. My questions is what should I do in the mean time (besides studying for MCAT)? Should I fill out my applications (primaries) before MCATs? Can I submit them without grades (I heard varifying takes a long time. I just don't know what to do. Do I even have a reasonable shot at a medical school in the states?

My last question is: What DO schools other then PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM should I apply to with these stats. BTW I am getting around ~30 on my MCATs. Practice.

Thanks for your help guys. I am just panicing and neeed some advice from the intelligent SDN crowd !
3.29 GPA is not too low..Anyway, if you score 28+ mcat, you will have a decent chance. Since your mcat score will be late, you should apply to 10+ schools. Yes, you should fill out your primary asap.

Save your money and don't bother applying to Nova and OSU, they both have a "no less than a 7 in any section on the MCAT" policy. Other than that you should be able to get a few acceptances if you apply early, and I think you are applying broad enough

Thanks for the advice. This is perhaps a silly question, but should I include being in a metal band as an extracurricular activity? It was a HUGE time dedication and improved my leadership and people skills as well. It also makes me a little more unique.

Ok guys,

Science GPA: 3.56
Cumulative GPA: 3.6

First MCAT: 21Q (7,7,7)
Retook 6/17/2010

-2.5 years of Cancer research for the university
-125 hours of volunteering at our local hospital Oncology Unit
-Currently interning at a respected Hematology-Oncology partnership
-Was apart of VEISHEA committee (whoever knows ISU knows this is huge and is a big time taker)
-Played college for my first 1.5 years of college
- Job shadowing my M.D. family physician this summer as well as a D.O. this summer

Am a Iowa Resident and would LOVE to go to DMU. My research letter for evaluation will be phenomenal as will my physician and another professor.

What are my chances and what schools look best with this? I have been getting 25-27 on my practice MCATs prior to this last test.

Thanks guys!

Ok guys,

Science GPA: 3.56
Cumulative GPA: 3.6

First MCAT: 21Q (7,7,7)
Retook 6/17/2010

-2.5 years of Cancer research for the university
-125 hours of volunteering at our local hospital Oncology Unit
-Currently interning at a respected Hematology-Oncology partnership
-Was apart of VEISHEA committee (whoever knows ISU knows this is huge and is a big time taker)
- Job shadowing my M.D. family physician this summer as well as a D.O. this summer

Am a Iowa Resident and would LOVE to go to DMU. My research letter for evaluation will be phenomenal as will my physician and another professor.

What are my chances and what schools look best with this? I have been getting 25-27 on my practice MCATs prior to this last test.

Thanks guys!

Played college??? :confused:

Ha ha, I just couldn't resist, I know it's a typo. I think if you were able to bring your mcat up you have a good chance. Your gpa is good. I think the ECs are good. I'd love to go to DMU too. I hear they like a lot of clinical experience though (this is something random I heard, so correct me if I'm wrong). Were you able to get much patient contact with your volunteering?

Thanks for the advice. This is perhaps a silly question, but should I include being in a metal band as an extracurricular activity? It was a HUGE time dedication and improved my leadership and people skills as well. It also makes me a little more unique.

I think you should put it in there but maybe exclude the genre of music you guys played (no offense to metal). You could also just tie it in to an EC about playing drums in general if you wanted.

Ok guys,

I don't know if it matters, but what sport?
edit: sorry I didn't notice the previous correction.

I think you should put it in there but maybe exclude the genre of music you guys played (no offense to metal). You could also just tie it in to an EC about playing drums in general if you wanted.

I was thinking this too. I personally think it is great, but you never know what kind of adcoms you will get and if they may stereotype you because of the genre.

Played college??? :confused:

Ha ha, I just couldn't resist, I know it's a typo. I think if you were able to bring your mcat up you have a good chance. Your gpa is good. I think the ECs are good. I'd love to go to DMU too. I hear they like a lot of clinical experience though (this is something random I heard, so correct me if I'm wrong). Were you able to get much patient contact with your volunteering?

HAHA... meant to say Played college football... Yes I got patient contact volunteering and tons of hands on with my physician shadowing

Not sure where I should apply:

3.44 overall
3.35 science
3.57 non-science

MCAT 37

I quit college after failing a few classes, and I came back and retook a lot of classes. Past 3 years have been 3.99 GPA.

Retail and tech support paid work for 2 years
Newspaper carrier - during college for a year
Volunteer teacher for basic literacy - 10 months
MCAT teacher - almost a year
Hospital volunteer (100+ hours and ongoing)
Hospice volunteer (100+ hours and ongoing)

No research experience. Trying to set up a DO shadow right now. I'm trying to hurry and get a DO letter. I thought submitting in July was early but reading this thread has got me worried.

Anyway, where should I apply?

Not sure where I should apply:

3.44 overall
3.35 science
3.57 non-science

MCAT 37

I quit college after failing a few classes, and I came back and retook a lot of classes. Past 3 years have been 3.99 GPA.

Retail and tech support paid work for 2 years
Newspaper carrier - during college for a year
Volunteer teacher for basic literacy - 10 months
MCAT teacher - almost a year
Hospital volunteer (100+ hours and ongoing)
Hospice volunteer (100+ hours and ongoing)

No research experience. Trying to set up a DO shadow right now. I'm trying to hurry and get a DO letter. I thought submitting in July was early but reading this thread has got me worried.

Anyway, where should I apply?

ummm wherever you feel like you want to go. I'd be surprised if you didn't get interviews from wherever you apply with a 37 MCAT and a GPA that is about the DO average.

ummm wherever you feel like you want to go. I'd be surprised if you didn't get interviews from wherever you apply with a 37 MCAT and a GPA that is about the DO average.
Thanks. I guess what I'm asking is: are there any DO schools that I should avoid since I have zero research experience?

Thanks. I guess what I'm asking is: are there any DO schools that I should avoid since I have zero research experience?

Research is a nice EC in the DO world, but not "highly recommended" (aka required) as it is in many of the allopathic schools. I think most DO schools are interested in putting out good clinicians and I doubt your lack of research will hurt you anywhere you apply.

Research is a nice EC in the DO world, but not "highly recommended" (aka required) as it is in many of the allopathic schools. I think most DO schools are interested in putting out good clinicians and I doubt your lack of research will hurt you anywhere you apply.

This.

I'd say the only schools to "avoid" would be those with in-state bias (OSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM) but I'd say you even have a good shot at them if they interest you with a 37MCAT. I'd love to be competitive at TCOM, unfortunately with a low GPA and OOS I didn't think I stood a chance.

Ok so i've posted a few times on here, but I usually get stuck in the shuffle...coupled with the fact that I never had an MCAT score until now, what do you all think of this plan??

Nurse, 25 years old, graduated 3 years ago working in Infectious Disease for the state Prison system

sGPA: 3.38 with a Post-Bacc GPA of 3.6
cGPA of 3.2 (from a whopping 2.4 in my freshman year)

MCAT Score just came back and it was BAAD!! 24O (7V/8P/9B) I don't know how I managed to screw verbal like that...took the LSAT a few years ago and kicked the $hit out of that but managed a 7 on the MCAT go figure....(practice tests, not that they matter much, were around 30) Have since signed up for the Aug 4th retake (should I retake at the end of July instead?)

I have alot of E.C.s 8 years as a Firefighter/EMT, Habitat for Humanity, Developmental Clinic work with autistic children, D.O. shadowing with a vascular surgeon

I was going to apply to a bunch of schools:

ATSU-SOMA (like the curriculum here)
PCOM
PCOM-GA
UMDNJ
Touro-NV
Touro-NY
LECOM-B
VCOM-CC
LMU-DCOM
Pikeville?
NYCOM (past NY resident)

I don't think my score will stop any secondaries as I got at least a 7 in each section, but I definitely want to retake as I feel I can kick the crap out of this test on another try...what i was really curious of was whether my dream of C/O 2015 is still alive or not?? Thanks

Ok so i've posted a few times on here, but I usually get stuck in the shuffle...coupled with the fact that I never had an MCAT score until now, what do you all think of this plan??

Nurse, 25 years old, graduated 3 years ago working in Infectious Disease for the state Prison system

MCAT Score just came back and it was BAAD!! 24O (7V/8P/9B) I don't know how I managed to screw verbal like that...took the LSAT a few years ago and kicked the $hit out of that but managed a 7 on the MCAT go figure....(practice tests, not that they matter much, were around 30) Have since signed up for the Aug 4th retake (should I retake at the end of July instead?)

I have alot of E.C.s 8 years as a Firefighter/EMT, Habitat for Humanity, Developmental Clinic work with autistic children, D.O. shadowing with a vascular surgeon

PCOM
PCOM-GA
UMDNJ
Touro-NV
Touro-NY
LECOM-B
VCOM-CC
LMU-DCOM
Pikeville?
NYCOM (past NY resident)

I don't think my score will stop any secondaries as I got at least a 7 in each section, but I definitely want to retake as I feel I can kick the crap out of this test on another try...what i was really curious of was whether my dream of C/O 2015 is still alive or not?? Thanks

Definitely still alive, you are under the average for MCAT but right around the average for GPA. You have strong ECs and a good story. I think you'll have a decent shot.

I'm hoping that the "past NY resident" plays a factor into my application as well. I was born there and my dad is a CW Post Masters grad (right across the st from NYCOM) and I lived an hr and a half away on the east end of the island for 12 years. Too bad NYCOM doesn't have an essay on their secondary where I can express my desire to move back there :(

EDIT: Just logged onto NYCOM's website. Apparently they do have a short essay. Also, my secondary from last year is on there with my e-mail and I want to do a different one. It won't let me revise -.- not cool

Last edited:
Hi all,

Here are my stats... I'm applying this cycle and would love to get your advices on my chances.

Background:
TX resident
MCAT: 7V/10BS/10PS = 27N
sGPA: 3.57
cGPA: 3.58
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: philosophy

EC's:
LOTS of tutoring (past 2 years in multiple classes)
LOTS of leadership (officer positions in clubs, founder of a couple internships and clubs)
GOOD community service
DECENT clinical experience (I haven't shadowed a physician yet, but have volunteered about 60 hours at a hospital. I plan to shadow a DO asap and request a LOR within the next month).

Owner/manager of parents' business (3 years).

helping out in an on-going student research project (just started).

I feel like my prehealth committee letter will be strong.

I'm wanting to stay in TX so any advice on my chances for TCOM would be great. Also, is there a website that shows the avg GPA/MCAT for DO schools? The 2010 CIB doesn't state them

Lastly... I know this is the DO section but I would also like to know what my chances are for MD schools... particularly in TX, but anywhere in the US as well. Do ya'll think it's worth applying?

PCOM
PCOM-GA
UMDNJ
Touro-NV
Touro-NY
LECOM-B
VCOM-CC
LMU-DCOM
Pikeville?
NYCOM (past NY resident)

Your EC's are going to play an extremely important role in your application. I think you should def. try to retake as soon as possible (as long as you know that you could do a lot better this second time around, otherwise take your time to study more etc).
You JUST might score an interview or two with that MCAT score, given your EC's but if you score at least 2-4 more in your retake, you should be all set!

Please, please dont move it to the what are my chances forum. I am very sad amd want some advice.

I made a 23P in 1st test and 21M in second.
GPA: 3.6

got an interview last year from a DO school which I declined as I wanted to take a year break.

What option do I have now?
Should I just let my dream die in front of my eyes?
can not see the screen properly.
I am a bio major.

Try for MHA or soem other grad program?
try for a carbian school

what to do or I am just screwed....

thanks for reading and advice

Why did you even apply if you wanted to take a break?

Pretty sure you know what you need to do, figure a way to get that MCAT score up. At this point it is going to be a "how bad do you want it" scenario.

Why did you even apply if you wanted to take a break?

Pretty sure you know what you need to do, figure a way to get that MCAT score up. At this point it is going to be a "how bad do you want it" scenario.

I had applied last year to that school before MCAT and then as I had already applied to one school I sent them the seciondary too and got an interview invite which I told them that I want to take a year break.

I dont know what to do thats why I want some suggestions

I had applied last year to that school before MCAT and then as I had already applied to one school I sent them the seciondary too and got an interview invite which I told them that I want to take a year break.

I dont know what to do thats why I want some suggestions

I think your best option is to look into some type of masters program or use your degree somehow and work take the mcat again. Getting that score up is going to be the most important part of the equation, even with great ec's. In short find something to do during this break that will allow you to focus a great deal of time on the retake.

apply early and broadly. DO and MD. Get your score up. Master's Degrees don't hurt. Your dreams aren't dead, just bear down, focus, and do your best. I know people that have gotten in to a certain MD school with stats much worse than yours.

Good luck!

Please, please dont move it to the what are my chances forum. I am very sad amd want some advice.

got an interview last year from a DO school which I declined as I wanted to take a year break.

I am a bio major.

try for a carbian school

its time to buckle down and figure out WHY you are scoring so low. Especially as a Bio major, you should be scoring higher. Now is the time to invest in an MCAT class and truely evaluate where you are going wrong on this test.

I'm not being an ass but scoring that low consecutively after studying implies that you have not prepared correctly and that you lack a foundation in the sciences needed to succeed on the test. Take some time off and hit the books, definitely do not re-take until you are positive that you will score better.

I am a bio major.

try for a carbian school

i know how you feel, like the mcat is an indestructible beast, but you can overcome it (I say this, as I am in the same situation as you and preparing to take a second shot at the exam in July after scoring a 22Q first time), you just CANNOT under any circumstance lose confidence in yourself and start feeling the way you are. It's not too late to re-take. Start studying tomorrow, and aim for an August Exam. most of the material should still be fresh in your head, it's possible that you just had a bad day. what was the breakdown, what were you getting on practice exams?

In general, what schools are good for OOS applicants, assuming I'm a CA resident. My stats and ECs are pretty good, but before I apply, I want to see which schools I'd not have much of a shot at because of OOS restrictions. Thanks!

Hey is it better to take the mcat july 8 and get a 26-27 or take mcat july 30 and get around a 30-31?
gpa:3.4
sgpa:3.2

Just got my mcat score back today, and I am trying to see if I'm going to be at all competitive..

-cumm. GPA: 3.96
-science GPA: 3.92
-400 volunteer hrs
-300+ shadowing experience
-100 hrs of research, and continuing project until next may
-Ohio resident
-MCAT: 24 (7 P, 9 V, 8 B) Writing: P

I applied to 10 schools and was just verified last week. Ohio University, Western, Touro (CA and Nevada), LECOM Bradenton, Nova, Pikesville, West Virginia, and two in Arizona.

Top choice is Western, since that is where my family has moved to, but i would be happy with Ohio as well. Do you think I at least have a fighting chance with OU? I'm hoping my high gpa will help me..

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to see what are my chances and I just got my mcat scores back today.

Major: Biology
Minor: Women's Studies

cGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 26O (8V, 7PS, 11BS) [ I'm going to take it again on July 30th and I am aiming for 30 or above)
- 250+ hours of volunteering ER & other floors
- 20 hours DO shadowing (family practice)
- other extracurriculars: AIDS outreach - building friendships and doing activities within the AIDS community/housing (20 hours) and outreach at a children's convalescent hospital (20 hours)
- CA resident

I applied to 8 schools : Western, Touro-CA & NV, LECOM-FL, NOVA, PCOM, AZCOM, ATSU-SOMA ( all verified last week)

Please let me know what you think and thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Just got my mcat score back today, and I am trying to see if I'm going to be at all competitive..

-cumm. GPA: 3.96
-science GPA: 3.92
-400 volunteer hrs
-300+ shadowing experience
-100 hrs of research, and continuing project until next may
-Ohio resident
-MCAT: 24 (7 P, 9 V, 8 B) Writing: P

I applied to 10 schools and was just verified last week. Ohio University, Western, Touro (CA and Nevada), LECOM Bradenton, Nova, Pikesville, West Virginia, and two in Arizona.

Top choice is Western, since that is where my family has moved to, but i would be happy with Ohio as well. Do you think I at least have a fighting chance with OU? I'm hoping my high gpa will help me..

You have VERY similar stats to one of my good friends who is currently at AZCOM. I think you have better ECs too. She applied to 3 schools SUPER late and was accepted to 2/3. Western was the only one she didn't get into but that was IMO because she applied in like March. Your MCAT is at least balanced, I'd guess you wind up with at least a couple acceptances because your GPA is fantastic.

Hey is it better to take the mcat july 8 and get a 26-27 or take mcat july 30 and get around a 30-31?
gpa:3.4
sgpa:3.2

speaking from experience:

the absolute latest you want to take the MCAT and have a good shot of getting your application the most attention as possible is by the end of July. If you need to take a week or two more to get a few necessary points then take it.

that being said, make sure you send your AACOMAS application ASAP! in the MCAT section make a note that you will be taking the MCAT in the future.

good luck!