**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Above average GPA, balanced above average MCAT, good ECs I'd say you have a good shot at CCOM, AZCOM minimum and depending on where you live NYCOM and PCOM as well.

You are a good applicant. I'd say you could apply pretty much anywhere you decided you would want to go to school and have a pretty good shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my numbers:

MCAT 1st round: 10 VR 9 PS 9 BS Q WR
MCAT 2nd round: 9 VR 9 PS 9 BS N WR (woo consistency)
GPA: 3.47
Science GPA: 3.55

I have great ECs with hospital volunteering, shadowing, a few years of research experience (past and current) with a publication upcoming, fantastic LoRs, etc.

I don't have any experience with a DO physician (shadowing or LoR) so which schools would be best for me to apply to without such experience?

Above average GPA, balanced above average MCAT, good ECs I'd say you have a good shot at CCOM, AZCOM minimum and depending on where you live NYCOM and PCOM as well.

You are a good applicant. I'd say you could apply pretty much anywhere you decided you would want to go to school and have a pretty good shot.

Hey thanks for the response, I'm a Massachusetts resident so somewhat in the same region as PCOM and NYCOM. I plan to visit at least one of these two sometime this summer for a tour/info session.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cali resident, top UC, 3.45 cumulative, 3.2 science
-over 600 hours of clinical volunteering
-tons of employment
-research
-publication
-tons of leadership
told my an adcom at top MD school that my EC's are some of the best he's seen..so lets just say great EC's
23 MCAT..7VR,8BS,8PS
what schools do you guys recommend i apply to? and how do my chances look?

hey guys what's going on? I was feeling pretty good about everything until i got my mcat scores today...27.

Here's are stats:

cGPA: 3.37 (3.83 and 3.79 last two semesters)
sGPA: 3.07 (strong upward trend here too)
nsGPA: 3.74

mcat: 27

I've had over 200 hours shadowing DO who was also a teacher in medical school and wrote me, as he says, a very good reference level.

Received "recommended with confidence" rating from my premedical committee

have over 1000 volunteering in EMS
president of two different on campus organizations

I am trying to figure out if i should apply or if i am better off waiting another year and raising gpa and taking mcats again? what do you guys think?

I was wondering if you guys think I should apply this cycle. I've got a good GPA Science 3.59 non-science 3.58, I just bombed the MCAT and am taking it again Aug 13. Is this MCAT date to late to submit my package? I don't want to waste my time or money. Thanks

Hi all,

Here are my stats... I'm applying this cycle and would love to get your advices on my chances.

Background:
TX resident
MCAT: 7V/10BS/10PS = 27N
sGPA: 3.57
cGPA: 3.58
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: philosophy

EC's:
LOTS of tutoring (past 2 years in multiple classes)
LOTS of leadership (officer positions in clubs, founder of a couple internships and clubs)
GOOD community service
DECENT clinical experience (I haven't shadowed a physician yet, but have volunteered about 60 hours at a hospital. I plan to shadow a DO asap and request a LOR within the next month).

Owner/manager of parents' business (3 years).

helping out in an on-going student research project (just started).

I feel like my prehealth committee letter will be strong.

I'm wanting to stay in TX so any advice on my chances for TCOM would be great. Also, is there a website that shows the avg GPA/MCAT for DO schools? The 2010 CIB doesn't state them

Lastly... I know this is the DO section but I would also like to know what my chances are for MD schools... particularly in TX, but anywhere in the US as well. Do ya'll think it's worth applying?

Hey, sorry for bringing my stats up again... I would really appreciate any comments over my stats. Thanks!

I'm interested in pursuing a career in general surgery and I was curious if anyone had any school recommendations that may be better for such a career goal? Thanks so much

Its not school dependent. It's dependent all on you. If you get a high comlex and usmle score then you'll get in.
That being said consider the more well established schools.

A pre-med interested in surgery, call ripley's.

Schools don't create surgeons, they teach their students the same material and if the student wants to become a surgeon they will apply for the residency. Pick a school that you like and that is reasonably priced. Do well in your courses and the steps (easier said than done) and you should be able to get a G. Surg spot.

I agree with serenade. I do however recommend that you see what hospitals each school is affiliated with an if that hospital has a general surgery program. This would help your chances just a little but it still ALL depends on YOU not on the school... (unless of course your goin to harvard Yale duke or johns hopkins etc...otherwise your just a med student making a name and a reputation for yourself by high scores on comlex usmle gpa and doing amazing in your rotations..

Good luck

Nearly every school has people that match in surgery. Get into the best school you can, work as hard as you can, and the rest will fall into place (or it won't). Your responsibility is to do your best to match into surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to crush your dreams, but most likely u will change your mind anyway. Keep an open mind if u get into med school.

Believe me i know how cool it looks on TV. I shadowed surgeons in Ecuador, and its nothing like it is on tv in my opinion

Not to crush your dreams, but most likely u will change your mind anyway. Keep an open mind if u get into med school.

Believe me i know how cool it looks on TV. I shadowed surgeons in Ecuador, and its nothing like it is on tv in my opinion

Totally agree. Before I went on my mission trip to Honduras, my mom told me, "You know that real surgery is not as cool as it is on Grey's Anatomy, right? Hopefully you will have changed your mind about wanting to go into surgery after you get back." Me: "Thanks, mom." The first thing I said to her when I got back home was, "You were right, is was nothing like Grey's Anatomy. It was way cooler."

Haha, anyways, I think it is to each his/her own. Even though I was only assisting, it was quite a rush, and I hope that never changes for me.

Hey guys, I just got my Mcat scores, and my stats are as follows

AACOMAS GPA's*
Non sci - 3.57
Sci - 3.40
Cumu - 3.49
Mcat - 27O (8P 11V 8B)

* My GPA's do include 10 credit hours of classes marked Repeated not yet complete (comp 1, nutrition, and elem chem, because I was a n immature freshman and got C's, and that is just down right embarrassing!)

-Various volunteer work
-Employed the whole time
-Played in a regionally recognized rock band that recieved radio air time, released a cd sold in local stores, and shared the stage with Tantric and Madina Lake on several occasions (Nationally signed bands if you don't recognize them)

My top choices are Lecom erie and OU, since they are the closest.

Think I have a shot at them?

Hey guys, I just got my Mcat scores, and my stats are as follows

AACOMAS GPA's*
Non sci - 3.57
Sci - 3.40
Cumu - 3.49
Mcat - 27O (8P 11V 8B)

* My GPA's do include 10 credit hours of classes marked Repeated not yet complete (comp 1, nutrition, and elem chem, because I was a n immature freshman and got C's, and that is just down right embarrassing!)

-Various volunteer work
-Employed the whole time
-Played in a regionally recognized rock band that recieved radio air time, released a cd sold in local stores, and shared the stage with Tantric and Madina Lake on several occasions (Nationally signed bands if you don't recognize them)

My top choices are Lecom erie and OU, since they are the closest.

Think I have a shot at them?

your stats are similar to mine so i think you'll get in. since you are not an international like me.....you should apply more broadly and i am sure you'll get in somewhere.

did you apply already?

I wanted to get some feedback on my list of schools to see how my chances look. Ill probably submit secondaries in August because I need to shadow a DO and get a LOR from him/her...

29M 12(B) 9 8
3.8c 3.71s?
Typical ECs Research, Hospital Volunteer and some shadowing. I have lots of leadership and some community service (although I am working on more now).

My list:
Kirksville
Midwestern at AZ and Chi
DMU
Kansas City U
Nova SE
Phili COM
Touro (NY)
Western U

Question on AACOMAS sGPA: My AMCAS sGPA was only 3.58 compared to 3.71 AACOMAS- Kines major and kines is considered science on AACOMAS, is that correct?

Any input would be nice!

No I haven't applied yet, waiting on some summer grades due in july.

I'm also applying to the bradenton lecom, and the new SC campus for the virginia school.

If I apply more broadly, where would you recommend? I don't want to throw away my money on a school I have no chance at, you know?

Well, yeah she has a shot if she gets a 30 on the MCAT. How many attempts does she have? The only issue is someone that originally scored an 18 going up to a 30! Unless she had a stroke or some major crisis during her test, I'm not sure that a 30 is a reasonable goal. Good luck regardless!

This pretty cute girl that I know (and that I want to umm, spend more time with) has an 18 MCAT. She's going to re-take it and apply this cycle. Does she have a shot if she cracks 30 or is it her time better spent looking for an apartment down in Antigua?

If she retakes it and gets a 30 then she's fine. However, the chances of moving from a 18 on the first take and a 30 on the second seem not great.

No I haven't applied yet, waiting on some summer grades due in july.

I'm also applying to the bradenton lecom, and the new SC campus for the virginia school.

If I apply more broadly, where would you recommend? I don't want to throw away my money on a school I have no chance at, you know?

yeah i know what you mean. Look it all comes down to you. The factors i looked at were:
1. Does this school take canadians
2. If yes, would i want to marticulate at this school?
3. If yes, what is their tuition

that was my criteria. So of the 19 or so schools that i could've applied to as a canadian, i'm applying to all of them except MSUCOM (high tuition), WVCOM(high tuition), and TOURO-NY (didn't like the school that much). Is this going to cost me a lot? Yes, but this way i won't have any regrets on why i didn't apply broadly.
For you, you have more schools to work with, unlike me and Your stats are nice enough that i'm sure someone will take you in as long as you interview well. If i was in your situation, assuming you are from ohio as you suggest:

I'd apply to:

OUCOM, LECOM (all branches), PCOM-philly, NYCOM, VCOMs, CCOM, DMU, Pikeville, KCOM, KCUMB, LMU, NSU.That's a total of 14 total schools including their respective branches. I think for you this is more than enough. But this list i made for you was solely you willingness to stay close enough to ohio. At the end of the day everyone's financial situation is different and mostly tough, since we are all students. I'm no different. By doing research full time, a spring course (thankfully well on it so far), prepping for the mcat and working at the hospital part time is helping me make sure i'm saving enough for this cycle's expenses and at the same time continue to improve my application. Do i want to do this much? No. But is this MY choice that i'll never regret? Yes. for me as tough as the last few months have been, whenever i get burnt out, I just remind myself of why am i pursuing this field. The answer to my own question keeps me going for a while. I've also been really fortunate with the wonderful ppl that are always keeping my spirits high and who will always help push me to reach-out and grab the dream that i will never stop pursuing.

Hope i helped you out a bit.

Yeah, it was quite helpful!

I've got a credit card, so what the hell, I can always be a normal college kid and charge more than I have! lol

I'll broaden out a little bit, you're right, I won't regret this so I may as well give myself the best shot I can.

Thanks a ton

Your fine however if your not a Ohio resident you'll have to sign a 5 year contract to remain in Ohio.

Could someone please provide me with a link informing me of this?

As far as I can tell, I just need to verify i am living independently and self-sufficient (via loans) to declare Ohio residency. I know someone who will be starting his second year at University of Cincinnati Med and he will be declaring himself as a Ohio resident -- and looking at Ohio residency requirements for state schools, there is nothing about 5-year contracts. What makes OSCOM different? thanks.:)

I recently received my MCAT score of 27L

PS: 9
VR: 7
BS: 11

I honestly thought I was screwed after my PS, which then translated to my spaced out section of VR. Turns out I didn't do as bad as I had expected but I did not care during writing because of that...

Anyways...my question is how do DO schools view the writing score and should I apply with this score?

I plan to retake in July, but I thought I could submit my DO application earlier?

Yeah, it was quite helpful!

I've got a credit card, so what the hell, I can always be a normal college kid and charge more than I have! lol

I'll broaden out a little bit, you're right, I won't regret this so I may as well give myself the best shot I can.

Thanks a ton

aha you're welcome. beware of the credit cards. Like she always told me: credit is just another word for debt

lol just make sure you pay it off before you get charged with those ridiculous interest rates. gl :luck:

Could someone please provide me with a link informing me of this?

As far as I can tell, I just need to verify i am living independently and self-sufficient (via loans) to declare Ohio residency. I know someone who will be starting his second year at University of Cincinnati Med and he will be declaring himself as a Ohio resident -- and looking at Ohio residency requirements for state schools, there is nothing about 5-year contracts. What makes OSCOM different? thanks.:)

http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/saffairs/survival_manual/out_of_state_admission_contract.htm

If your a Ohio resident then this doesn't apply. However if your out of state or not delcared then it does.

http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/saffairs/survival_manual/out_of_state_admission_contract.htm

If your a Ohio resident then this doesn't apply. However if your out of state or not delcared then it does.

Ohh OK i misunderstood earlier. I must have missed that OUCom required a contract upon admission when I was reading their website (and that it's not just for instate tuition). They are so nonchalant about it on the how to apply page. That's pretty crazy though - to limit where are start practicing just in Ohio (who knows where I will be 3-5 years after medical school). I also just realized that out of state applicants only had a 1.2% chance of being interviewed in fall 2008. So another school off my list....

Last edited:
You need to use your essays as a chance to demonstrate your true writing skills if you feel that the "L" is not consistent with your abilities. The schools will judge for themselves how well you write.

Just got my MCAT back...plan on retaking before applying to MD but I think I will give DO a shot with what I have. Let me know what you guys think my chances are...

GPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 27L (PS 9, VR 7, BS 11)

Work:
- Detox facility for 6 months
- Aide at hospital since January of 2009...work about 32-40 hours every 2 weeks

Volunteering:
-Campus Kitchen- last summer and currently volunteering (roughly 3 hrs a week)
-Rake the Town- annual event...the last 3 years..about 15 hours total
-Judging Science Fairs: roughly 20-25 hours total
*This is probably my weak area*

Research:
-3 years worth, presented at 2 conferences. Received a Foundation grant of $2000 for it this year

Extracurriculars:
-Involved in the Pre-med Club for 3 years
-Tri Beta Bio Honor Society: Treasurer for 1.5 years, and member since November of 2007 (very active in this group)
- Ski/Snowboard Club
-EMT certified
-Received scholarships this year ($1000)

Not sure what else to put in...might be forgetting some things...

Thanks for the replies guys. I know an L is not reflective of my abilities...

Hey yall I need some help. I'm applying this year to med school and could use some help.

Accounting and Finance double major
Economics Minor
Texas resident
3.01 cGPA
3.0 sGPA
23Q MCAT. Retook it one week ago.
EMT-Basic
Shadowed an anasthesiologist
Heavily involved in a camp for children whose parents have cancer.
My grandmother and mother have both fought breast cancer and that has greatly influenced my desire to become a doctor-a point I stress in my personal statement/essays. I really appreciate the advice and thanks in advance!

Hey yall I need some help. I'm applying this year to med school and could use some help.

Accounting and Finance double major
Economics Minor
Texas resident
3.01 cGPA
3.0 sGPA
23Q MCAT. Retook it one week ago.
EMT-Basic
Shadowed an anasthesiologist
Heavily involved in a camp for children whose parents have cancer.
My grandmother and mother have both fought breast cancer and that has greatly influenced my desire to become a doctor-a point I stress in my personal statement/essays. I really appreciate the advice and thanks in advance!

the score of the retake you took a week ago will be really important for you in determining your chances

Hello everyone!

I'm a non-traditonal prospective med student...Computer Science degree

Stats are:

- 3.37 Gpa -

- 3.40 ish after finish up my pre meds over the next few weeks -

- Haven't taken the Mcat yet -

- No Shadowing Yet -

- No research -

Not much volunteering: Just a little bit of habitat for humanity, american lung association, disney's make a wish foundation.

- I can get some great LoR's -

- Served in the stan and iraq as an army paratrooper-

I still have some work to do as you can tell:cool:

I'm also the first in my family to graduate from high school and college

I'm a Florida resident, Hispanic, and 28 (if that helps at all?)

My goal is to become medical officer for the Army.

:rolleyes:What do you folks think?

p.s - Please no anti-war/military comments, I'm proud as hell to be a veteran!

Hello everyone!

I'm a non-traditonal prospective med student...Computer Science degree

Stats are:

- 3.37 Gpa -

- 3.40 ish after finish up my pre meds over the next few weeks -

- Haven't taken the Mcat yet -

- No Shadowing Yet -

- No research -

Not much volunteering: Just a little bit of habitat for humanity, american lung association, disney's make a wish foundation.

- I can get some great LoR's -

- Served in the stan and iraq as an army paratrooper-

I still have some work to do as you can tell:cool:

I'm also the first in my family to graduate from high school and college

I'm a Florida resident, Hispanic, and 28 (if that helps at all?)

My goal is to become medical officer for the Army.

:rolleyes:What do you folks think?

p.s - Please no anti-war/military comments, I'm proud as hell to be a veteran!

Research is good to have but its not something that'll make or break your admissions. You must however, start shadowing. ALong with that you need a mcat. Get started on those two asap. also calculate you sci gpa. if its close to what you actual gpa is. Then you are on the right track. your gpa is below the average posted by aacom from the 2009 entering class so focus on the mcat a lot and try to do well on it the first time unlike me :)

Research is good to have but its not something that'll make or break your admissions. You must however, start shadowing. ALong with that you need a mcat. Get started on those two asap. also calculate you sci gpa. if its close to what you actual gpa is. Then you are on the right track. your gpa is below the average posted by aacom from the 2009 entering class so focus on the mcat a lot and try to do well on it the first time unlike me :)

Thanks alot Jaywalk:thumbup:

Just got my MCAT back...plan on retaking before applying to MD but I think I will give DO a shot with what I have. Let me know what you guys think my chances are...

Work:

Volunteering:

Research:
-3 years worth, presented at 2 conferences. Received a Foundation grant of $2000 for it this year

Extracurriculars:
-Tri Beta Bio Honor Society: Treasurer for 1.5 years, and member since November of 2007 (very active in this group)
- Ski/Snowboard Club
-EMT certified

As far as shadowing goes...I shadowed a general surgeon for 3 days...roughly 24 hours worth. Then a family practice doc for 2 days and an ER doc for 2 days. I plan on doing some more in the next few weeks.

Work:

Volunteering:

Research:

Extracurriculars:
- Ski/Snowboard Club
-EMT certified

As far as shadowing goes...I shadowed a general surgeon for 3 days...roughly 24 hours worth. Then a family practice doc for 2 days and an ER doc for 2 days. I plan on doing some more in the next few weeks.

You have solid Stats for DO schools. I would say the main thing that would be holding you back at this point is obtaining a DO LOR, if you can do that you should be fine.

How many of the schools require a LOR from a DO physician? I'm having a hard time finding a DO to shadow...

Just wanted to see if there were any other replies to my question,

Pure speculation, but I'm trying to see how I would stack up when I apply. Let's say my cGPA is a 3.7, my sGPA is like a 3.4, and I get an MCAT like a 27. My ECs will be pretty normal (shadowing an MD+DO), some research, 400 hours or so of volunteer work at a local clinic, and I would also have some unusual ones, like doing 40 hours of volunteer work for a court watching program here in Chicago designed to improve the court system, and I was also an intern at a Criminal Court for the Public Defender's office (16 hours each week for close to 20 weeks). What do you guys think my chances would be for something like CCOM, or LECOM (the low tuition is highly attractive) any other DO school in the US for that matter?

Hi,
I would really appreciate it if anyone could help give me advice.
25 M and 3.3

I am retaking the MCAT AUG 4 and I KNOW I will do better but what do you guys think about my chances, needed MCAT score, ect...?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I submitted my primary application, but I caught a small type in the number of hours I shadowed my DO doctor. Has anyone been able to change/update their application after they have submitted. By the way, my application has not been verified yet.

I submitted my primary application, but I caught a small type in the number of hours I shadowed my DO doctor. Has anyone been able to change/update their application after they have submitted. By the way, my application has not been verified yet.

If it's not a huge typo (like you put 4000 instead of 40 hrs), I'd probably just leave it and explain at interviews or secondaries. It seems like it would be a pretty big hassle to try to make an update for something small.

But if you still want to correct it, I've read on here that others have just called AACOMAS and they've been pretty good about updating apps. However, I personally think it would be more of an annoyance to the schools (and AACOMAS) if someone kept updating their app with minor details.