2010 Acceptance & Waitlist Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ILGirl! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks ILGirl! :D

If I end up choosing a NYC school, I am just going to make a group of friends of SDN so I dont have to try and meet ne people :) There are plenty of you girls/guys on here :)

Does anyone know are we supposed to continue living during this waiting period? Because my day is a constant checking of my inbox, checking on here, checking missed calls. I am working but I feel it is in a dreamlike state. The Iphone makes things worse because I can do this all day no matter where I am.

Ditto.... I'm pretty sure I've been the world's worst employee lately. And ditto on the iPhone.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I end up choosing a NYC school, I am just going to make a group of friends of SDN so I dont have to try and meet ne people :) There are plenty of you girls/guys on here :)

Ha ha. If I get into JJ as well, I'll be your friend. He he. Actually, it's really easy to meet people in NYC. New Yorkers are extremely friendly and very welcoming. Meeting new people is fun!

Ditto.... I'm pretty sure I've been the world's worst employee lately. And ditto on the iPhone.

Ditto Ditto-I'm totally obsessed with checking emails, phones and SDN. I'm passing the time by ordering Hip Hop Abs (that's right I said it). LOL

I saw that someone had received acceptance from Widener PsyD; anyone else hear from them? I'm kinda freaking out, so please share if you have info!! Thanks :)

Ditto Ditto-I'm totally obsessed with checking emails, phones and SDN. I'm passing the time by ordering Hip Hop Abs (that's right I said it). LOL

Do you think the professors who are making the admissions decisions said during their application process..."THIS WAIT IS KILLING ME, WHEN I BECOME A PROFESSOR I'LL NEVER DO THIS TO STUDENTS!!"

Do you think the professors who are making the admissions decisions said during their application process..."THIS WAIT IS KILLING ME, WHEN I BECOME A PROFESSOR I'LL NEVER DO THIS TO STUDENTS!!"

I would hope so. I can't imagine this is a pleasant process from them either. If it was me, I would just want to get it over with!

I have been trying to distract myself with solitaire. Unfortunately it is on my phone as well so while part of my brain thinks I'm trying not to think about getting a call I am actually just staring at my phone moving cards around hoping a number interupts

Ha ha. If I get into JJ as well, I'll be your friend. He he. Actually, it's really easy to meet people in NYC. New Yorkers are extremely friendly and very welcoming. Meeting new people is fun!

Friendly New Yorkers? That seems like a contradiction :p

ps... Its NHL Trade Deadline day, so if anyone wants to be distracted they can just watch that online like I am, PLUS at about 2-3pm Eastern, International Football (soccer) Friendly matches are happening... I am excited

Definitely agree. I have strong interest in reforming the admissions process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear from Yeshiva's combined school/clinical psy d program yet. I spoke to someone who heard back and was accepted and she interviewed about 3 weeks after I did. Starting to get nervous.

Does anyone know are we supposed to continue living during this waiting period? Because my day is a constant checking of my inbox, checking on here, checking missed calls. I am working but I feel it is in a dreamlike state. The Iphone makes things worse because I can do this all day no matter where I am.

oh god. tell me about it. There is really no new info to be gained for me by doing this. The three schools I haven't heard from I am 99% sure are rejections because I did not get an interview (actually 99.5% since I emailed POIs to confirm) and the one school I am waitlisted at, will probably call me if there is news to be had. I still check SDN, my various emails and gradcafe like a woman possessed. I even find myself checking the NYT Education section and the Chronicle of Ed forum for info that may help me decipher my chances of admission off a waitlist. And I have a full time job and plenty of things I "should" be doing. Sad sad woman.

anyone else feel like waiting after interviews is like dating a guy you think is playing you? its like you went on a date (aka the interview) and you thought it went so well. and he was talking to you like he was falling in love. but the longer you wait with no missed calls, the more you think he (aka the graduate school) is just not that into you...:(

anyone else feel like waiting after interviews is like dating a guy you think is playing you? its like you went on a date (aka the interview) and you thought it went so well. and he was talking to you like he was falling in love. but the longer you wait with no missed calls, the more you think he (aka the graduate school) is just not that into you...:(

YES. In fact, the entire application, waiting for interviews, interviewing, waiting post-interview all felt like one big, unhealthy relationship where I was the needy girlfriend who paid for everything and only wanted the guy to accept me.

ahaha too funny. and now we are all turning into the psycho girlfriend. how did we let this relationship get this way? it started out so promising ;)

Anybody else totally curious about who will be in their cohort this fall? Every grad student I met said their cohort became so close; I can't help wonder who my new friends will be. People I met at interviews? Will I like them?

Are other City College hopefuls wondering what's going on with admissions notifications? I know others have heard that notifications will continue for a number of weeks, right?

If you look on Grad Cafe and judging by this forum, it seems like they made only a few calls and only on Sunday night.

How inhumane! Just rip off the band-aid please! I would love to know one way or the other.

This is so true!! And now I'm wondering how lame it would be to break down and to be the first one to call/email (although hopefully not call and the hang up like I did in high school...)

Did anyone hear from Yeshiva's combined school/clinical psy d program yet. I spoke to someone who heard back and was accepted and she interviewed about 3 weeks after I did. Starting to get nervous.

I actually emailed them today about when we would be notified (they have not gotten back to me) when did this person hear from them?

Are other City College hopefuls wondering what's going on with admissions notifications? I know others have heard that notifications will continue for a number of weeks, right?

If you look on Grad Cafe and judging by this forum, it seems like they made only a few calls and only on Sunday night.

How inhumane! Just rip off the band-aid please! I would love to know one way or the other.

I'm curious if anyone else at SDN has heard anything from CUNY. I know one other person was notified about being waitlisted. I'm not sure why it'd take them so many weeks to make these calls. The admissions committee met already.

I'm with you... I think I'm going to lose my mind! I'm sitting here writing an important paper, due tonight, and I can't stop checking my phone/email/SDN/gradcafe/snailmailbox (where the kiss of death will surely come from). This is like intellectual waterboarding! HELP! I CAN'T BREATH!...please make it stop....

Anyway... Good luck!:D

I'm with you... I think I'm going to lose my mind! I'm sitting here writing an important paper, due tonight, and I can't stop checking my phone/email/SDN/gradcafe/snailmailbox (where the kiss of death will surely come from). This is like intellectual waterboarding! HELP! I CAN'T BREATH!...please make it stop....

Anyway... Good luck!:D

For the record I'm writing about Obsessive-Compulive Personality Disorder... Oh the irony!:laugh:

I met two people at my interview on Monday who got into City. They were called Thurs and Fri of last week. I'm almost giving up hope.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may have been too broad in my research interests. I tried to appeal to 2-3 professors per school, but their research interests varied. I was afraid of focusing on just one professor. For example, I did put a lot of focus on one professor at UC. It was my main choice as it is not too far from my home town, and the POI's research was a perfect match. However, at the last minute, budget changes lead to her removal from the list of professors accepting students.
I also wonder if my lack of research and work experience in the field of neuropsychology hurt me. One professor told me I was rejected on the basis of lack of fMRI experience. Anyone recommend how I can get experience with fMRI technology or neuropsychology in general?

Any advice regarding the improvement of my application is warmly welcome.

the POI's research was a perfect match. However, at the last minute, budget changes lead to her removal from the list of professors accepting students.

i know just how you feel! this happened at so many programs i applied to grrr. they say "due to the economy we now cannot not afford yadda yadda" and then don't take a student after posting on their website that they will and telling me in an email they will. so i'm left thinking "well, due to the economy and my crappy RA salary (that i have b/c i'm trying to get experience to be a good applicant for your program) i don't have money to burn on an application to no one. do i get a refund!?!? thanx!"

as far as fMRI experience, do a lit search and then look for authors that do work you are interested in and e-stalk them to find out where they work and apply. also look at big hospitals, universities, and academic centers.

good luck!

as far as fMRI experience, do a lit search and then look for authors that do work you are interested in and e-stalk them to find out where they work and apply. also look at big hospitals, universities, and academic centers.

Also, be willing to work on a volunteer basis if need be (and clean lots of data)... That's what I'm doing. Think of it this way, you'd pay for classes and this looks even better for your CV.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may have been too broad in my research interests. I tried to appeal to 2-3 professors per school, but their research interests varied. I was afraid of focusing on just one professor.QUOTE]

I completely understand. I did the exact same thing with one of my SOPs, and I did not get an interview. Luckily, I realized my mistake, and for the other two applications, I focused my research interests. And, I did get interviews at those schools.

I think if their research isn't closely related, or you cannot tie the two together in some way, you should probably just focus on one professor--and pray that professor doesn't lose funding.

alright, so I have what is probably a silly question, and one that I'm sure most people wish they had--and I am aware of that.

A POI at one of the places (and I am MOST likely going to be going there..I just hate these big choices) has emailed me wondering if I have questions, what can he do to help in the decisions process, etc. Honestly, what questions should I have at this point? My one major concern is that it's far from where I live now, my family and significant other are here, and I have never lived elsewhere. That's nothing my POI can help with obviously, haha. So, what should I say to him? I mean, I know I should go there-- the fit is terrific and the money is awesome, I'm just nervous making the leap--but I feel like I shouldn't tell him that because I might seem immature... any thoughts?

alright, so I have what is probably a silly question, and one that I'm sure most people wish they had--and I am aware of that.

A POI at one of the places (and I am MOST likely going to be going there..I just hate these big choices) has emailed me wondering if I have questions, what can he do to help in the decisions process, etc. Honestly, what questions should I have at this point? My one major concern is that it's far from where I live now, my family and significant other are here, and I have never lived elsewhere. That's nothing my POI can help with obviously, haha. So, what should I say to him? I mean, I know I should go there-- the fit is terrific and the money is awesome, I'm just nervous making the leap--but I feel like I shouldn't tell him that because I might seem immature... any thoughts?

I asked questions like 1) what kinds of things would I be involved in in the fall 2) are you planning to take one student this year or more? and 3) how many students will likely be in the incoming class? I imagine that there are better questions to ask but those were the ones I could come up with when I was so excited.

Either way, its a big decision and a big transition. Go with your gut is my suggestion.

My one major concern is that it's far from where I live now, my family and significant other are here, and I have never lived elsewhere. That's nothing my POI can help with obviously, haha. So, what should I say to him? I mean, I know I should go there-- the fit is terrific and the money is awesome, I'm just nervous making the leap

I don't know if this will help you, but asking myself this type of question often helps me: 10 years from now, what do you think you will regret more 1) attending this university, or 2) staying near loved ones?

Really I am in shock, but I just received my first acceptance! Ferkauf (Yeshiva) PhD Health Emphasis :)

anyone hear anything from sdsu/ucsd post-interview? if so, please make sure to say what track!

i know it just happened, but i am waiting anxiously :)

Question: How exactly do post-interview notifications work??? Is everyone waitlisted unless the position has already been accepted? Or does 1 person receive the offer, 4 more get waitlisted, and 2 ppl are outright rejected? ???

So evidently I got the wrong info when I called yesterday. Received acceptance email this afternoon. still waiting on hearing from other schools before deciding.

Good luck to all waiting on yeshiva clinical PhD (health emphasis)

Hi,
They haven't met to review files yet...Oh, man. It looks like we have a wait in store for us.

So evidently I got the wrong info when I called yesterday. Received acceptance email this afternoon. still waiting on hearing from other schools before deciding.

Good luck to all waiting on yeshiva clinical PhD (health emphasis)

What about their other programs??????????????? HELP!! I think I will get sick from all this waiting and worrying... I can sue if I get an ulcer from this, right?? what about if I have a breakdown? (which doesnt seem too far off) help! I think I need a psychologist here...:scared:

Really I am in shock, but I just received my first acceptance! Ferkauf (Yeshiva) PhD Health Emphasis :)

Congrats!! I'm a little disappointed though, I have not heard anything. Was this a mass e-mail or was it specific to you?

I applied and interviewed for the combined school/clinical program. I only heard of one person hearing so far, getting an acceptance a few days after the interview. They interviewed about 2 weeks after me with the same person so I am quite worried but hopeful since nobody else has mentioned hearing back yet.

If you want to retain your respect for laws or your appetite for sausages, don't watch either one being made. I suspect that psych PhD admissions committees are similarly unappetizing to behold. I've spoken to younger profs who are very frustrated by the slow grinding wheels of the admissions process. We just have to keep on hanging in there. Just think of what a great ice-breaker it will be for your cohort: "hey, were you about to totally freak out waiting to hear from the dept chair? REALLY, ME TOO!!"

I just want to get on with my life!!

If you want to retain your respect for laws or your appetite for sausages, don't watch either one being made. I suspect that psych PhD admissions committees are similarly unappetizing to behold. I've spoken to younger profs who are very frustrated by the slow grinding wheels of the admissions process. We just have to keep on hanging in there. Just think of what a great ice-breaker it will be for your cohort: "hey, were you about to totally freak out waiting to hear from the dept chair? REALLY, ME TOO!!"

I just want to get on with my life!!

that, sir/madame, was perfection...

Could the person who got the U Maine acceptance PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE pm me the POI? The school is on a 2-week spring break and I'm going bonkers waiting! Pleeeeeease <3

I just got my acceptance from the Chicago School of Prof. Psych. today, 3/3 after my interview on 3/1. I'm very happy that they didn't make me wait too long, because even those two days were hard to get through.

I agree with the previous poster -- ask about maybe how many they anticipate in your cohort, what you might expect to do in the lab, other things about what to expect in general. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying what you've just said -- it's a great fit, but you're a little nervous about making a big move and are really working on picturing yourself there before you commit.

This is my virgin post... I'm finally unlurking to express my extreme happiness for getting in to the Yeshiva-Ferkauf PhD Clinical Health Emphasis program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first acceptance!!:love::p:soexcited::woot:

I am also wondering and freaking out about this!! Also wanted to add to the speculation by saying that last year it seems like it took them quite some time to call all of their first round acceptances (like a week judging by last year's thread), so I still have a little bit of hope but am wondering what other people think? Please PM me if you have heard from CUNY, waitlist or accceptance or anything... I am dying here :scared:(although not quite as much as I was before getting an acceptance)

so i am wondering what is the appropriate thing to do when you get an offer but are not sure yet if you are going to accept it? do you email them back? what do you even say? what is the appropriate way to say, "i am still waiting on other offers?" how has everyone else been handling this?

Status
Not open for further replies.