You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
China and Eastern Asia 2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School
Started by Kyoichi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
There is no thread because that is not a U.S. medical school, despite Duke's name being tagged on.Just realized there's no thread for the 2011-2012 cohort applying to Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School.
Hope there are people out there who share similar aspirations as me and we can chat about application stuff on this new Duke-NUS thread 🙂
There is no thread because that is not a U.S. medical school, despite Duke's name being tagged on.
True, I attended a talk given by the vice dean of education. Basically, you study in Singapore for 4 years (med school) and then you also have to do residency (4 years for Singaporeans I think, and 5 years for International Students, INCLUDING U.S. citizens). Even if you're American and you attend Duke-NUS GMS, you won't be granted a spot for residency in the U.S. (which would really suck for us!). And mostly Singaporeans are studying in this program; I think there are only 56 people are in the recent cohort. :/
If you're doing an MD/PhD, expect to be in Singapore for at least 7 years. I say, if you don't mind living in Singapore for 10 years, go ahead and apply, lol.

He said that they want to attract academicians/professors/people who are really knowledgeable about their own field, and want to apply their experiences to medicine.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Moving to International Forum.
Anyone is going to interview in US in October?
you got the invitation? i'm still waiting for mine...apparently there's rolling admission even for the early admission scheme
you got the invitation? i'm still waiting for mine...apparently there's rolling admission even for the early admission scheme
Actually I am going to the interview in early November. I wonder what the first interview date in US is.
Is it in San Fran? I applied last year and got an interview on October 1st, so maybe the same for this year then.
Actually I am going to the interview in early November. I wonder what the first interview date in US is.
When did you receive the invitation?
My interview is also in early November at Durham...
I got invited 2days after I submitted my application. I was so surprised that they sent me invitation email so fast..
Yeah, same here. Hopefully it is a good sign. My interview is at Durham too.
Same here. Interview on Nov. 4 at Durham. Looking forward to seeing you guys!
Interviewed here on Tuesday in Singapore - it was the first interview day and well organised. The students agreed the program is great, the faculty are really invested in students' learning, and their only misgiving is the messy residency system Singapore is in the process of setting up. The interviews themselves were OK - both my interviewers asked a lot of thorough and probing questions and had clearly taken time to read my application.
It was a good experience overall.
They said rejections won't be sent out until next spring but acceptances are rolling starting from as early as two weeks from now.
It was a good experience overall.
They said rejections won't be sent out until next spring but acceptances are rolling starting from as early as two weeks from now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed here on Tuesday in Singapore - it was the first interview day and well organised. The students agreed the program is great, the faculty are really invested in students' learning, and their only misgiving is the messy residency system Singapore is in the process of setting up. The interviews themselves were OK - both my interviewers asked a lot of thorough and probing questions and had clearly taken time to read my application.
It was a good experience overall.
They said rejections won't be sent out until next spring but acceptances are rolling starting from as early as two weeks from now.
It's great to hear this. Actually the only thing worries me about Duke-NUS is the residency program in Singpaore. How are Duke-Nus graduates going to work/compete with NUS medical school graduates who are at least 4 years younger.
From what I was told last year, Duke-Nus graduates wouldn't have too much trouble with the residency competition. Having research experience would give you an edge. What you should be worried about is whether you are willing to work in Singapore as a doc for a long time. Hours are long and wages are low compared to other countries, and living expenses are pretty high in Singapore. I'm sure you guys are not going for med because of the money, but it's important to consider all relevant factors.
From what I was told last year, Duke-Nus graduates wouldn't have too much trouble with the residency competition. Having research experience would give you an edge. What you should be worried about is whether you are willing to work in Singapore as a doc for a long time. Hours are long and wages are low compared to other countries, and living expenses are pretty high in Singapore. I'm sure you guys are not going for med because of the money, but it's important to consider all relevant factors.
I don't really know a lot about Singapore. What's the average salary for residents and physicians in singapore? And how much is the living expense there?
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am applying into 2012 batch. Pretty awesome to share a common topic with you guys. I'm malaysian btw but am working fulltime in oz atm.
still wrapping up my essays but i wont hold my breath, you guys sound too competitive for me mannn...sweat.
still wrapping up my essays but i wont hold my breath, you guys sound too competitive for me mannn...sweat.
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am applying into 2012 batch. Pretty awesome to share a common topic with you guys. I'm malaysian btw but am working fulltime in oz atm.
still wrapping up my essays but i wont hold my breath, you guys sound too competitive for me mannn...sweat.
btw anyone still in the midst of their application for 2nd deadline?
still wrapping up my essays but i wont hold my breath, you guys sound too competitive for me mannn...sweat.
btw anyone still in the midst of their application for 2nd deadline?
I applied for early admission as well. Is anyone else taking the MCAT again in Jan 2012?
why do you take MCAT again? do they accept other scores after the deadline?
Dr Stenberg says they are willing to accept Jan Mcat scores.
you would've been registered for the jan mcat already right? cos i fink the registration is closed by now.
you would've been registered for the jan mcat already right? cos i fink the registration is closed by now.
Jan MCAT only opens in Oct-Nov.
when do they normally dish out interview annoucements? like after they've got a chance to assess your application or after the deadline?
when do they normally dish out interview annoucements? like after they've got a chance to assess your application or after the deadline?
I think after application. I saw a few people who were invited before the deadline for early acceptance
hmm i fink I'm screwed.the primary email which ive used for my application is no longer accessible and i have no idea whatsoever abt the outcome of it...emailed duke-nus but they only said 'we'll take note of it'. i havent got duke-nus emails for a while now...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an acceptance via e-mail. 🙂
Wow so fast! Congratulation!
Congrats.....thats amazing news!! Btw Can you share with us your credentials....??Just got an acceptance via e-mail. 🙂
Hi...seems like you are currently studying at Duke-NUS...i know they claim that a score above 30 is competitive but do you know what sort of candidates they accept early in terms of MCAT scores and GPA?
Hi everyone, it's my first post in this thread. I received an invitation scehduled on 21st November. Anyone received invitation scheduled on that day too?
Congrats to you, ncrassa. 🙂
Congrats to you, ncrassa. 🙂
Any news of acceptances from Oct 12th Interview in Singapore??
Oct 11 you mean?Any news of acceptances from Oct 12th Interview in Singapore??
Yes!!!
Yes...anyone!!!Oct 11 you mean?
All the best to everyone! 😀 Hope to see you all at Duke NUS next year!!
Last edited:
I've been constantly checking this forum hoping to hear some good news or engaging in some casual conversations - but it's always quiet. And I just want to say all the best with the wait guys, we're all in this together. 🙂
P.S. Is there anyone who went for applicants' day on 21st November lurking around this forum? 🙂
P.S. Is there anyone who went for applicants' day on 21st November lurking around this forum? 🙂
I applied for early admission as well. Is anyone else taking the MCAT again in Jan 2012?
Hey! I'm taking my MCAT again in Jan 2012. Was not happy at all with the first one. Hopefully this time round will be different.

Hey Sweetsecrets...how was it??Hi everyone, it's my first post in this thread. I received an invitation scehduled on 21st November. Anyone received invitation scheduled on that day too?
Congrats to you, ncrassa. 🙂
Hi all!
I'm new to this forum, first post!
I know the school has made some early offers already, but does anyone know when the next round of offers would be sent out?
I'm new to this forum, first post!
I know the school has made some early offers already, but does anyone know when the next round of offers would be sent out?
I guess the next round of offers wont be made anytime soon...Was told that it could be in February or March!!
Is there anyone who has applied but hasn't recieved interview invitation? I saw their public student profile on Facebook page and feel like they would throw my application away after seeing my MCAT score.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have applied for the early acceptance deadline. MCAT wasn't great but nevertheless, had been invited for interview. So don't give up hope yet. I've recieved an email from the school 2 days ago saying that they are actively reviewing the rest of the applications. Hang on!
i wonder how many ppl they have accepted already for early admission
hey smurfedmcat... it went well I hope? I'm not too sure how i fared though. It's really hard to tell cause my interview questions were quite out of the norm I think. ><
And yeah don't give up hope yet guys, i too received the email saying that they are actively reviewing my application.
And yeah don't give up hope yet guys, i too received the email saying that they are actively reviewing my application.
I doubt that many applicants would actually be accepted during the early admission rounds, because those are reserved for really outstanding candidates who probably had done their PhD or numerous research accomplishments. But waiting for the admission result is really nerve-wrecking.
does anyone know if the school reserve a certain number of spots for the locals/Singaporeans? from previous year's thread, it seems like the school gives out offers to the local students first
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 25
- Views
- 16K
- Replies
- 171
- Views
- 80K