2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep coming back to see how many pages the thread is, because I know it will explode once interview invites come out...

Come on interviews!! Let's do this!

let's get even more anal:

Any regular-decision applicants have their status change to "under review" yet? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Tallahassee a couple weekends ago. Momo's Pizza = the bomb diggity.

You are correct sir/mam! And you will appreciate them being right there when you're a student!! (thinking positively) :thumbup:

I went to Tallahassee a couple weekends ago. Momo's Pizza = the bomb diggity.

Other restaurants of interest for all you non-locals:
Jasmine's on College Ave (sushi & other misc.)
Julie's Place on N. Monroe (all around super great variety; semi-fine dining & bar)
Siam Sushi on Tharpe (Thai food - amazing curry!)
Mori's on N. Monroe (typical Japanese Steakhouse, but more budget friendly than Osaka)
Marie Livingston's on Appalachee (steaks!!)

Oh & btw everyone - FSU has already granted acceptances to EDP applicants from our undergraduate Honors Medical Scholars program. They had their interviews last week.

You are correct sir/mam! And you will appreciate them being right there when you're a student!! (thinking positively) :thumbup:

I know, it's so close to the COM! Do things get pretty crazy there on game days lol?

Last edited:
Other restaurants of interest for all you non-locals:
Jasmine's on College Ave (sushi & other misc.)
Julie's Place on N. Monroe (all around super great variety; semi-fine dining & bar)
Siam Sushi on Tharpe (Thai food - amazing curry!)
Mori's on N. Monroe (typical Japanese Steakhouse, but more budget friendly than Osaka)
Marie Livingston's on Appalachee (steaks!!)

Another broken egg and Bada Bean for breakfast.
Sakura
Decent Pizza
Cypress
Good bbq stand on capital circle and apalachee
there are a ton of little places dotted around town. North side has a bunch of stuff as well. Good cajun joint, more good sushi places, a la provence and other good stuff in market square..the list is a lot longer than people make it seem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare yourselves for a story topping. I've been under review since 7/1. :p

:laugh: i was totally kidding guys... :( mine just says "secondary application received" 8/26

in other news, got my MCAT back yesterday, 31!

Last edited:
:laugh: i was totally kidding guys... :( mine just says "secondary application received" 8/26

in other news, got my MCAT back yesterday, 31!

There is no kidding allowed when it comes to applying to med school!:smuggrin:
:laugh:

:) Congrats on your MCAT!

I know, it's so close to the COM! Do things get pretty crazy there on game days lol?

uhhhh pretty crazy? no! pure insanity! it's pretty awesome (even if you're a gator/tebow lover)

Sakura
Decent Pizza
Cypress
there are a ton of little places dotted around town. North side has a bunch of stuff as well. Good cajun joint, more good sushi places, a la provence and other good stuff in market square..the list is a lot longer than people make it seem.

another broken egg is rather pricey though for a breakfast joint, even considering the quality and atmosphere .. just my $0.02

edit: ive never been to cypress but have been wanting to go there for some time now. it too is an expensive restaurant but ive heard the food is great

Last edited:
I'd like to make a motion to rename the FSU interview process to "Come chill at FSU-COM while we show you all our cool s***!"

Seriously though - pretty sweet time yesterday. The interviews are conversations, not 1 hour grill sessions. Oh, and the Red Elephant lunch spread = delicious.

MossPoh - I saw the 4th floor gym, which I know you had a hand in designing; looks good! And the air conditioning is supreme, haha. Good work.

I didn't even get to see it really. I looked through the window when I was in town, but I didn't have keycard access.

I'm glad it is acceptable. The major goal is to have a place to unload a little stress and energy, which there is plenty of.

Another broken egg is expensive, but that is kind of a post exam weekend release type joint. I also got free stuff since my roommate taught the owner's kid tuba and I knew lots of parents up there from working at one of the schools.

In order to cause mass hysteria, I will now bring up the fact that the first regular decision II was out around the 20th last year ;). :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

In order to cause mass hysteria, I will now bring up the fact that the first regular decision II was out around the 20th last year ;). :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:
shocked.gif

Yes, game days have been quite enjoyable thus far. The second and first years have a good cameraderie amongst classes so we generally get together for some good ole fashioned tailgating! Everyone just walks most places because driving is almost counterproductive...

Not everyone participates (based on differing priorities), but those who do have a good time before we have to get back to our studying and whatnot!

Sakura
Decent Pizza
Cypress

Any lurkers out there in cyberland that know me will definitely know me after this post...

Vegetarian/vegan options:
-Sweet Pea Cafe is the Bomb-Diggity, best vegan variety!
-All Saints Cafe is an awesome 24hr coffee house that always has vegan options
-Soul Veg Cafe is very delicious (and keep in mind... half off on weekends!!)
-New Leaf Market and Earth Fare for peeps that love over-paying for food at Whole Foods! haha

Very manageable town to live in for people on a veggie diet! Who knew...?

Any lurkers out there in cyberland that know me will definitely know me after this post...

-New Leaf Market and Earth Fare for peeps that love over-paying for food at Whole Foods! haha

Good stuff! Liked your post about game-days too; I would definitely partake in those activities :D (I'm a huge sports fan).

One more question for everyone: What are the volunteering opportunities like around town and through the medical school? I enjoy working with medically underserved populations, and I know that standard of living is poorer in these areas.

Good stuff! Liked your post about game-days too; I would definitely partake in those activities :D (I'm a huge sports fan).

One more question for everyone: What are the volunteering opportunities like around town and through the medical school? I enjoy working with medically underserved populations, and I know that standard of living is poorer in these areas.

FSU will have no problem planting you in an underserved community. You'll get several options through preceptorships & rotations.

Yes, game days have been quite enjoyable thus far. The second and first years have a good cameraderie amongst classes so we generally get together for some good ole fashioned tailgating! Everyone just walks most places because driving is almost counterproductive...

Not everyone participates (based on differing priorities), but those who do have a good time before we have to get back to our studying and whatnot!

:p if I come here can I still be a Wolverine?

haha I don't think michigan will ever play fsu so we should be good...

I used to go to All Saints all the time, but it got to the point that I could never get a good seat there, they'd crank punk or something else really loud and they made a big deal out of having to get up from making out with their bf/gf to get me some coffee. The food wasn't bad...but it was pretty expensive.

As far as the team thing, you will always cheer for your undergrad instituition first. It is just the nature of the beast. Undergrad selection is much more emotional, while medical school is much more logic and where you happen to be accepted to first. If you are one of those people who got accepted to 9 different schools, then who knows, but even then one usually picks based on education perspectives and goals rather than college sports.

I did attend the two schools with the two winningest football coaches in D1 history...I still have a hard time cheering for FSU for football. Basketball, baseball, tennis, swimming...yea, awesome. Football is a hard pill to swollow, but I'm working on it.

hahaha I will make everyone love michigan football

No, no you won't.

Besides, Michigan fans are too aloof normally. The notre dame game was the first time in a while I've seen a Michigan fan put their wine glass down and cheer.

Hey, quick question, how long did it take you guys for FSU to show that your letters were uploaded?

I've had my photo and secondary submitted since 8/22 and still haven't had any of my letters show up..

Emailed Dana but just wanted to get an idea. thanks!

Got an interview invite regular decision today!!! wooohooo!!! :xf: Good luck everyone!

::smack:: didn't realize we had to submit a photo with our application. i hope this doesnt set me back in processing. =\

congrats to the acceptance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.