2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I made mine similar to my PS. To me, it wasn't as much about my weaknesses, and more about my qualifications. The only real weakness I highlighted was my lack of research

Thanks. Seems a little weird that it's called a "self-critical essay" but they want us to repeat our qualifications. This is why I was sort of confused. I didn't know if I should highlight my MCAT score here...I just took it, but I am not feeling too good about it. I am not the best standardized test taker and it definitely got the best of me.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Seems a little weird that it's called a "self-critical essay" but they want us to repeat our qualifications. This is why I was sort of confused. I didn't know if I should highlight my less than desirable MCAT score here.

The word "critical" has many meanings. I took it in this situation to be,

Characterized by careful evaluation and judgment; "a critical reading"; "a critical dissertation"; "a critical analysis of Melville's writings"

though I may be wrong. Maybe they do want you want to talk about your weaknesses. However, I wouldn't explicitly write any information (like your low MCAT score) that could potentially be used against you, because whether we like it or not, MCAT is a major part of admission. I think they want to see you're confident, but humble; a student who thinks themselves worthy of being an FSU COM student, but not the greatest thing to walk the earth. Take it as you will. I just went with my gut, and answered it in the way that seemed most complete. Good luck.

Last edited:
The word "critical" has many meanings. I took it in this situation to be,

Characterized by careful evaluation and judgment; "a critical reading"; "a critical dissertation"; "a critical analysis of Melville's writings"

though I may be wrong. Maybe they do want you want to talk about your weaknesses. However, I wouldn't explicitly write any information (like your low MCAT score) that could potentially be used against you, because whether we like it or not, MCAT is a major part of admission. I think they want to see you're confident, but humble; a student who thinks themselves worthy of being an FSU COM student, but not the greatest thing to walk the earth. Take it as you will. I just went with my gut, and answered it in the way that seemed most complete. Good luck.

This. Best way to go IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
FSU is big on self-reflection and learning from your mistakes. If I were to write something, it'd involve an area of weakness such as study habits, difficulty with a problem in your life, etc., how you came to realize it was a problem and then what you did to correct that problem.

Conflict, identification of the conflict and then how you achieved resolution of that conflict.

You know..just a suggestion. Everything you write is a weakness, that when corrected, becomes a strength.

FSU is big on self-reflection and learning from your mistakes. If I were to write something, it'd involve an area of weakness such as study habits, difficulty with a problem in your life, etc., how you came to realize it was a problem and then what you did to correct that problem.

Conflict, identification of the conflict and then how you achieved resolution of that conflict.

You know..just a suggestion. Everything you write is a weakness, that when corrected, becomes a strength.

I wrote about how I was told that medical schools would view me as a poor applicant because I chose to disclose a personal issue--but I thought it was more important to disclose it to show how much I've grown from it/so that I end up at an institution that is completely confident in me as an applicant.

I won't go into detail on here, but I'm open to talking about it if anyone wanted to pm me.

For those of you who have already submitted your secondary, what does it say for your status? On my page it just lists all of the changes, with the last being my LORs on 7/6. Should they update this status to "under review"or something?

For those of you who have already submitted your secondary, what does it say for your status? On my page it just lists all of the changes, with the last being my LORs on 7/6. Should they update this status to "under review"or something?

I'm at "Application Under Review by the Office of Admissions 8/9/2011". Went to that status same day my LORs were received.

Last edited:
Hmm... ok. I'm guessing I was on hold -- and they just didn't update the status, since I've been waiting for MCAT scores. They just got posted yesterday, so hopefully the schools get them from AMCAS soon.

Thanks. This is how I inferred the prompt but it was confusing after I read the instructions below it.

Just got invited to the party! Verified 8/15

Good luck to everyone already complete and those still waiting!

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how people are tackling the parent info section.. Full sentences are always nice but bullet points seem very enticing for this response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question... At the top of the status page below our name it says "application status" and the date... should there be a status listed there?

Below that there is a maroon line and then it lists all of the updated statuses. Nothing has changed on mine since they received my LORs on 7/6.. so I'm just wondering if that's as far as they've gotten for others?

I have a question... At the top of the status page below our name it says "application status" and the date... should there be a status listed there?

Below that there is a maroon line and then it lists all of the updated statuses. Nothing has changed on mine since they received my LORs on 7/6.. so I'm just wondering if that's as far as they've gotten for others?

Mine says "Application Under Review by the Office of Admissions".

I just e-mailed about my status -- since it has not been updated since 7/6 and never received a "complete" e-mail.

They had a question regarding a pre-req, which is why I was not marked "complete" but not one ever e-mailed me or informed me that I was on hold or anything. After e-mailing them, I was instantly marked complete and "under review"

If your status does not update, I'd definitely contact them (and not wait almost 2 months like I did). They were very quick to respond.

Is the essay considered a "question" and should be 500 words as well, or are you guys doing like a full on essay? :confused:

Interview Invite, 9:38 AM.

In state, EDP, complete 7/27.

:thumbup: :luck: :xf: break a leg!!!

I just got mine completed and now it's under review. But I sent 4 letters, and their app status only shows 3. Are they not going to read my 4th letter?

:thumbup: :luck: :xf: break a leg!!!

I just got mine completed and now it's under review. But I sent 4 letters, and their app status only shows 3. Are they not going to read my 4th letter?

They'll read them all, don't worry. They do once a week letter downloads just fyi - I think the download day is usually Friday so they can get them all for the week at one time.

Does anyone know when they start looking at non-EDP applications? I'm hoping that applying much earlier will lead to a much better result this time.

yes interview invite! hope everyone will get one soon!

congrats :thumbup:

I don't think regular applicants get any interviews now cause it's still August. We would get invites in September if adcoms strictly follow what they wrote in admission website.

Last edited:
congrats :thumbup:

I don't think regular applicants get any interviews now cause it's still August. We would get invites in September if adcoms strictly follow what they wrote in admission website.

Last year i interviewed at the end of september for regular decision, but remember if you are not ED schools can't give an admission decision until October 15th. So you have to wait no matter what after your interview.

I guess this is a good point to say that I am a first year at FSU COM, I love it here and if you have any questions for me let me know (post, message, etc.)

Good Luck guys!!! Maybe see you around or at your interview!

I'm starting psych rotation, so I may be on here a bit more now. ;) Relative to surgery, we have a lot more free time.

I'm starting psych rotation, so I may be on here a bit more now. ;) Relative to surgery, we have a lot more free time.

Moss, how did you prepare for your interview? How did you feel for the whole process? What kind of questions did you get? Thanks for your help man! Go Noles Saturday!

Moss, how did you prepare for your interview? How did you feel for the whole process? What kind of questions did you get? Thanks for your help man! Go Noles Saturday!

I'm not Moss, but I interviewed last cycle (in March when the class was already full :( )

The interview is easy as pie at fsu. It's literally just a really laidback convo, if you get to this point, it shouldn't be a problem.

Always good to see FSU's most informative poster around. :thumbup:

Check out the Interview Feedback section (see top of page). It helps a lot.

I'm not Moss, but I interviewed last cycle (in March when the class was already full :( )

The interview is easy as pie at fsu. It's literally just a really laidback convo, if you get to this point, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yea but there are still people who interviewed and did not get accepted! So are you applying again this cycle?!

Yea but there are still people who interviewed and did not get accepted! So are you applying again this cycle?!

Yes (ha, if you want the full, stupidly complicated story, pm me)

The more prepared you feel, the easier it will be, like anything in life. The most important thing to them is that you're genuine, sincere, passionate, and honest. I printed out lists of interview questions that I found just by googling and had my friends/family ask me them for practice. Turns out I didn't even need to do that. The thing is to know your application very well (which sounds silly) because that's where most of their questions will come from.

My first interviewer and I talked about weather and fl vs mi for a good ten minutes. Then we talked about my research and extracurriculars for 15, and I had the chance to ask her some things for the last five.

My second interviewer and I talked about how we both love crafting for the first five minutes, then she literally went down my application asking me questions. Then we got sidetracked talking about our ideal medical school environments, and why I liked FSU. Then I got to ask her questions. Went almost 20 minutes over.

FSU isn't a school that's going to grill you on healthcare reform and things like that. I just had some really good conversations.

FSU isn't a school that's going to grill you on healthcare reform and things like that. I just had some really good conversations.

+1. I interviewed in April 2010, also after the class was full. It was a really positive, minimally stressful experience. :)

Yesterday, interview invite
Today, interview scheduled for Friday Sept 16
EDP
:soexcited:

You will find, just like everything else, a mixed crowd with how the interviews are. It is mostly a positive review of them, but there are some interviewers who are tougher than others. I had one of them and it was one of the most traditional and somewhat terrifying interviews I had. The first one was quite easy. (I almost sold my drum set to her)

Way back in fall of 2008 when I interviewed, it was one of my last ones. I went on 6 interviews before that. I was a little more prepared than many of the people interviewing with me. It is a fairly traditional format. You go to talk to one person. Then you go and talk to the other person. There is a tour and a lunch thrown in with it as well. Some interviewers know your file inside and out and have questions ready, while others prefer to wing it and get to know you without looking at the file.

One thing you'll notice is that the atmosphere is very laid back. During many of my other interviews, I felt a bit of tension and anxiety in the students. That is present here, because it is medical school after all, but many students will wish you good luck or will gladly answer your questions if you have them. Despite the random crap that frustrates us, we are far happier than most other schools and feel like FSU is a bit of a hidden gem. Naturally, there are things that I bother me, but most of them pertain to the primary care focus of the campus. While I am not going into primary care, I understood that was the focus of the school coming in and try not to get to frustrated with it.

This silence is unacceptable.

I went to Tallahassee a couple weekends ago. Momo's Pizza = the bomb diggity.

This silence is unacceptable.

I think it's the silence of all of us regular applicants that have not heard anything from FSU and are eagerly anticipating to see if we'll get an interview invite haha....The silence is pretty deafening though I gotta say.

I went to Tallahassee a couple weekends ago. Momo's Pizza = the bomb diggity.

There are some other good pizza joints in town. Really, Tallahassee has lots of good stuff but it often takes a little exploring out of the FSU region to find it. The absolute 2 best breakfast joints are miles from campus. The best cafe, if you can handle the eclectic mix of people, is probably near lake ella, but I do know of some other very good ones that give it a run for a money with coffee...just not atmosphere on a nice day.

While I like my attending on psych, this is a painfully boring rotation. The nature of the specialty doesn't entail much doing or helping out. The only advantage is I get a ton of reading done while there and come home and watch DVDs of always sunny, old SNL and play video games while drinking a beer or wine.

I think it's the silence of all of us regular applicants that have not heard anything from FSU and are eagerly anticipating to see if we'll get an interview invite haha....The silence is pretty deafening though I gotta say.

I keep coming back to see how many pages the thread is, because I know it will explode once interview invites come out...

Come on interviews!! Let's do this!

While I like my attending on psych, this is a painfully boring rotation. The nature of the specialty doesn't entail much doing or helping out. The only advantage is I get a ton of reading done while there and come home and watch DVDs of always sunny, old SNL and play video games while drinking a beer or wine.

I think I'll fit in marvelously at FSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.