2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dayton was added, eh. ;)

Every year Orlando is competitive, but it is based on a lot of false assumptions. I've heard more mixed feelings about Orlando than any other campus from 4th years through the years. The med student saturation there is ridiculous with all the other schools and programs sending students. People cite residency programs a lot, but even in Pensacola I rotated with a doc who was involved with a surgery residency for most of his career and scrubbed with another who is a big shot in the American college of surgeons. Networking is everywhere.

People get so wound up with regional campuses and it really doesn't matter much. The only reason Tallahassee was competitive in the past was because of people not wanting to move their family, but over the past few years FSU has become a far more traditional medical school with it's demographics. I really will be spending about a year and a half-ish total in Pensacola when all is said and done. Depending on how you want to do, you may not have free time anyway. If you just want to get passes, then you will have a lot more time but I have a personal problem with not striving to be your best.

Members don't see this ad.

Dayton was added, eh. ;)

Every year Orlando is competitive, but it is based on a lot of false assumptions. I've heard more mixed feelings about Orlando than any other campus from 4th years through the years. The med student saturation there is ridiculous with all the other schools and programs sending students. People cite residency programs a lot, but even in Pensacola I rotated with a doc who was involved with a surgery residency for most of his career and scrubbed with another who is a big shot in the American college of surgeons. Networking is everywhere.

People get so wound up with regional campuses and it really doesn't matter much. The only reason Tallahassee was competitive in the past was because of people not wanting to move their family, but over the past few years FSU has become a far more traditional medical school with it's demographics. I really will be spending about a year and a half-ish total in Pensacola when all is said and done. Depending on how you want to do, you may not have free time anyway. If you just want to get passes, then you will have a lot more time but I have a personal problem with not striving to be your best.
I would really hope that this is the case with everyone...

Dayton was added, eh. ;)

Any idea how Fort Pierce rotations are? That's closest to home for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dayton was added, eh. ;)

By dayton = I mean Daytona Beach. :laugh:

I am happy with where I ended up since I have friends that are going to be in the same campus. For me it came down to where friends ended up more then the location itself. As you get the same experiences anyways. But I heard nothing but great things about Pensacola.

Orlando is overrated, IMO. People go there because of location. but in our class you needed to have ties to Orlando to go there anyways. So most got turned away because of that

Last edited:
Any idea how Fort Pierce rotations are? That's closest to home for me.

The Ft. Pierce campus is the same as the other, for LCME accreditation purposes. So you do all rotations like any other campuses. But Ft. Pierce is more on the rural side.

Hey! I was just wondering if anyone is interviewing here this Friday during the morning session. I'll be there and does anyone know how many people are in each interview group?

Hey! I was just wondering if anyone is interviewing here this Friday during the morning session. I'll be there and does anyone know how many people are in each interview group?

Four were in mine (EDP, first day of interviews). Good luck! You'll have a blast!

Interview invite earlier this week too :) still figuring out scheduling though

I think there were 8 people total last year when I interviewed? 4 in my group and 4 in another that did things in the opposite order (we toured first, then interviewed, they interviewed first, then toured) and then there was a morning session before us as well

Interview invite today at 5ish. Complete 9/7

Edit: Anyone know a cheap hotel near the campus?

Last edited:
Interview invite earlier this week too :) still figuring out scheduling though

I think there were 8 people total last year when I interviewed? 4 in my group and 4 in another that did things in the opposite order (we toured first, then interviewed, they interviewed first, then toured) and then there was a morning session before us as well

Congrats Al, Sis and gbc let us know how it went. Best wishes. As far as cheap hotels, try the travelcoupons.com website... it has really good coupon rates for hotels in the south not sure about FL though but check it out. I've gotten rooms in nice hotels like Holiday Inn & Comfort suites for like $50 bucks a nite. Mircotels are nice too decently clean with free internet and breakfast. Good Luck!

I interviewed today and it was a really great experience! Totally relaxed, the interviews were more like conversations and the students who gave us our tour and had lunch with us were really nice and extremely helpful. Overall it was fantastic and people with upcoming interviews shouldn't be nervous at all!

I interviewed today and it was a really great experience! Totally relaxed, the interviews were more like conversations and the students who gave us our tour and had lunch with us were really nice and extremely helpful. Overall it was fantastic and people with upcoming interviews shouldn't be nervous at all!

To all the interviewees: Fill out the Interview Feedback section at the top of the page!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I always feel bad for the Ft. Pierce campus because it is unquestionably the least popular. That being said I have only heard 2 complaints from people there.

1) You have to do a lot of driving at times and it wouldn't be a surprise if your rotations were spread out quite a bit.

2) If you are single, the dating scene is pretty weak there. "You can only date so many waitresses" was what one person said a few years ago.

Other than that, it is great. There are some great attendings there and my friends live in condos on the beach. They can literally walk out on the patio and be on the beach. That is possible in Pensacola, but a lot of people avoid it because it adds an extra drive for most places.

I met an early decision kid yesterday. If you read crap on here, then hi. It somewhat frightens me to think that I will be an MS4 when you guys are starting.

haha Moss, am I allowed to wear these around down there?
GAM1000.jpg

Speaking of waitresses (kind of)...there was a REALLY fantastic greasy spoon/diner place probably a ten minute drive east (northeast?) of campus (Tally)...I have no idea what the name is...does anyone have any idea what place I might be talking about? Ha, I would love to go back when I come down for the interview...I'm a huge fan of breakfast food
EDIT: after some digging, could be Canopy Road Cafe...anyone been there? haha can someone verify the quality of their breakfasts?

Last edited:
Speaking of waitresses (kind of)...there was a REALLY fantastic greasy spoon/diner place probably a ten minute drive east (northeast?) of campus (Tally)...I have no idea what the name is...does anyone have any idea what place I might be talking about? Ha, I would love to go back when I come down for the interview...I'm a huge fan of breakfast food
EDIT: after some digging, could be Canopy Road Cafe...anyone been there? haha can someone verify the quality of their breakfasts?

I KNEW you were talking about Canopy Road before I even got to your edit entry...Yeah, it's heavy, but delicious.

I always feel bad for the Ft. Pierce campus because it is unquestionably the least popular. That being said I have only heard 2 complaints from people there.

1) You have to do a lot of driving at times and it wouldn't be a surprise if your rotations were spread out quite a bit.

2) If you are single, the dating scene is pretty weak there. "You can only date so many waitresses" was what one person said a few years ago.

Other than that, it is great. There are some great attendings there and my friends live in condos on the beach. They can literally walk out on the patio and be on the beach. That is possible in Pensacola, but a lot of people avoid it because it adds an extra drive for most places.

I met an early decision kid yesterday. If you read crap on here, then hi. It somewhat frightens me to think that I will be an MS4 when you guys are starting.

#1 is what I heard from quite a few people.

It didnt help for our class (2014) the 4th year panel in the spring, the guy from Ft.Pierce was the least enthusiastic about Ft.Pierce. While the others made their campus sounded all amazing.
But in my class it was in demand, I knew a few people that are looking to trade to Ft.Pierce and they have yet to find anyone willing to move out

Yea, every place will give you what you want. The patient demographics are different between them. Pensacola has a younger population and a very small Hispanic population relative to the other campuses.

The guy that mentioned dating went into radiology, so Ft. Pierce obviously doesn't kill your chances of a competitive specialty.

I KNEW you were talking about Canopy Road before I even got to your edit entry...Yeah, it's heavy, but delicious.

yeeeeeeeeeeees! haha man, the food in tally was SOOOO good. There was this mexican place called el patron a little farther out from the city...best mexican i've ever had. Even my hotel food was amazing. beyond excited to get back down there!

yeeeeeeeeeeees! haha man, the food in tally was SOOOO good. There was this mexican place called el patron a little farther out from the city...best mexican i've ever had. Even my hotel food was amazing. beyond excited to get back down there!

Tallahassee has OK food selection, if you go further south (ie. Gainesville) there is a bit better of a selection. Then to Orlando, Tampa, etc.. Tallahasee has a poor Vietnamese food selection, there is only 1 restaurant in town and it is hit or miss most of the time :(

You have been deprived of good food in MI??? :laugh:

Canopy Road is owned by the same people who own the Jenny's Lunchbox on Magnolia and Mahan. Just a factoid for you.

My two personal favorite breakfast joints in Tallahassee are still Bada Bean and Another Broken Egg.

The food selection in the Tallahassee area is unique. I've never been one to consider a million different ethnic restaurants what matters though. I like a variety of food, but some of the places are so americanized that it just doesn't matter to me. If you count the surrounding area, there is a tremendous number of options with Americana stuff. Lots of great seafood options south of Tallahassee actually. Real BBQ stands hanging out around. There is also a pretty nice selection of stuff on the north side, including a hole in the wall type cajun place.

haha we are by no means deprived of good food in MI, but obviously the farther south will be better mexican food than we have...

I agree with moss, variety /=quality

I agree with Moss that a lot of the ethnic restaurants are far too Americanized. Gordo's turned me on to Cuban food and Super Perros got me into Colombian, but now that I live in Miami, I laugh at what I used to think was good. However, Tallahassee kills it for BBQ, Another Broken Egg is the best breakfast/brunch place I've ever been to if money is no object, and Canopy Road is the best breakfast/brunch place if you're on a budget. I'm also a huge fan of places like Chez Pierre and Food Glorious Food.

Had my interview yesterday, and it was pretty much as all the people before posted. Very laid back, everyone was super friendly, and it was an all around positive experience. The only difference for me was instead of two faculty interviews I had 1 faculty and 1 fourth year student interview. I totally fell in love with the campus and program, hope I get in!

They let 4th years do interviews once in a while. The only problem with them is that you run the risk of getting someone on a power trip who judges you a little tougher. I'm not sure if it is because of schedules or a legitimate interest in letting students be part of the process.

Do they review in order of submission? I was complete a long time ago...:(

I could see the power trip thing being an issue, but the guy I got was excellent. The hour flew by so quickly it seemed like 10 minutes.

So I interviewed on Friday. As far as I understand it, my interviewers present my file to the adcom today, and the adcom makes a decision next tuesday. Anyone know if that decision is released on that same day?

So I interviewed on Friday. As far as I understand it, my interviewers present my file to the adcom today, and the adcom makes a decision next tuesday. Anyone know if that decision is released on that same day?

From my experiences last year, most people did not hear until the following day or the day after that. I think it was rare for people to find out later than Thursday afternoon.

Do they review in order of submission? I was complete a long time ago...:(

Unless things have changed since I have applied, nope. I was complete about the earliest date humanly possible and got my interview invite more than a month after some of my friends who were complete 4+ weeks after me.

I'm not sure if it's terribly different for reg admin compared to early decision, but I found out on the same Tuesday that the admission committee met. They updated my status online before they called me though.

3. Each school notify all applicants - other than Combined College/M.D., Early Decision Program (EDP), and deferred matriculation applicants - of acceptance to medical school only after October 15 of each admission cycle. It may be appropriate to communicate notifications of decisions other than acceptance to medical school to applicants prior to October 15.

Has anyone here experienced or heard of anyone, regular decision only , receiving a rejection or waitlist PRIOR to October 15 from FSU?

my excitement for next year has dropped since we are 2-3...... I really hope we beat Duke this week.. If we can beat them in basketball last year.. we might as well can beat them in football... right gang? :scared:

I think I threw up a little with that picture. The only school with a more visceral response is Ohio State, so at least we have one connection there.

You will never convert anyone down here. In fact, you only get Big 10 hate, especially from the large percentage of UF grads in the class.

hahaha but they're SO happy! Ha, I'll make you a deal: if we lose the game this weekend (UMich v Mich State) or UM v OSU I will not even bring these overalls to Florida if I end up there :p

Any idea what the lipdub will be this year?

Is everyone that has already interviewed Early Decision students?

I was accepted today around noon! :)
Interviewed about two weeks ago...
So happy!

Congrats! Do you remember what day exactly you interviewed on?

Thanks guys!! I found out by email.
Stats GPA: ~3.5 MCAT: >28

hahaha but they're SO happy! Ha, I'll make you a deal: if we lose the game this weekend (UMich v Mich State) or UM v OSU I will not even bring these overalls to Florida if I end up there :p

Any idea what the lipdub will be this year?

You can bring the overalls. I think people would just believe you're "speshul". ;)

One of my Michigan buddies was peeved about the loss to MSU. His phone just gets lit up after that loss.

This is probably the first season in recent memory that the Michigan/OSU game may be interesting. Hasn't been much of a rivalry for a while now. ;)

And congrats to all the recent acceptances. I'd say "See you there!" but, you probably won't unless it is match day, which is kind of an odd thing to think about for me still.

Status
Not open for further replies.