2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay, FSU!

I'll be a second year here, so feel free to ask me questions :)
FSU is one of my top choices going into the cycle. :xf:

Questions:
Is the school on or close to the undergrad campus?
What grading system is used?
Is it difficult to get involved in research or start projects?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

It's just the one building that's right on the edge of campus. You can still walk to the health center and whatnot, but it's more or less on its own.

Switching to pass/fail for this upcoming year

:soexcited:

There are lots of research opportunities that people participate in the summer after M1. A good thing to do would be find a faculty member working on something you're interested in during the year and work on putting a proposal together for some money over the summer. Pretty much, if you want to do research, you'll be able to find something.

You're welcome! FSU is a great, great school, I really can't say enough good things :)

Lets get this thread ROLLING!

I will be a second year once fall start, :scared:

Ask me any questions (PM) if you need and I will try to answer them.

ONE TIP: APPLY EARLY and get ALL your secondaries in fast (here and everywhere else)

Good Luck!!

FSU is one of my top choices going into the cycle. :xf:

Questions:

Thanks. :)

Sam has answered all the questions but let me chime in.

I personally think FSU is close to the undergrad campus, we are next to the Biology building, Next to Psychology and across from Education. So I think we are close.
Walking distances to the Rec Center, Thaggard and Main Lib. Some undergrad organizations have meetings in our classroom. So it is close, IMO

One of the rep was that you don't get to do research at FSUCOM, that is a lie. I know quite a few in my class are doing research with MD and PhD in the COM over this summer. Opportunities are everywhere

I go to school in Gainesville haha! This is also one of my top choices though. How is Tallahassee, and are people generally friendly around campus/city?

I go to school in Gainesville haha! This is also one of my top choices though. How is Tallahassee, and are people generally friendly around campus/city?

We have plenty of Gators in the class, even though there will be more Noles then Gator in the new class (2015).
Tallhassee is a typical college town mixed with political stuff since it is the capital. People are cool around campus. But I dont have time to walk around :laugh:

We have plenty of Gators in the class, even though there will be more Noles then Gator in the new class (2015).
Tallhassee is a typical college town mixed with political stuff since it is the capital. People are cool around campus. But I dont have time to walk around :laugh:
Yeah there's a pretty even mix of Gators and Seminoles.

It's pretty friendly around here :)

Nice! I live in South Florida, and I will definitely be psyched to get an interview here!

Nice! I live in South Florida, and I will definitely be psyched to get an interview here!

The drive up here is pretty bad (long). I know a few friends that just hate that drive (~8 hours). Makes my 4.5 hrs drive seem like nothing. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
went to FSU for undergrad (go noles!) and am excited to be applying this upcoming cycle! i'm from miami, but i miss the season changes lol

also, the drive isn't thaat bad. on a really good trip (just gas stop, no traffic), you can make it in 6.5/7 hours. i don't know if it's ever taken me 8 hours :)

went to FSU for undergrad (go noles!) and am excited to be applying this upcoming cycle! i'm from miami, but i miss the season changes lol

also, the drive isn't thaat bad. on a really good trip (just gas stop, no traffic), you can make it in 6.5/7 hours. i don't know if it's ever taken me 8 hours :)

good luck, FSUCOM has been increasing the number FSU grad in each classes. So it favors you!!

I never driven that route, I been told by friends that it can take that long, Miami is a big area :laugh:

How does this school look at out-of-state applicants. Say NJ for example :p

Your chances are A LOT better if you have ties in Florida.
There might be a handful of people each year that are from out of state in the class, so it will be tough.

How does this school look at out-of-state applicants. Say NJ for example :p

~10 spots in each class. Yeah, like he said, if you have ties to Florida it helps (used to live there, have family there, etc)

They've only ever taken someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line once, and that person used to live in FL or their family had just moved to FL or something like that.

good luck, FSUCOM has been increasing the number FSU grad in each classes. So it favors you!!

I never driven that route, I been told by friends that it can take that long, Miami is a big area :laugh:

that's awesome to hear! i did a year of research at the school, under dr. gerend and i also used to give tours of the facilities. i would very much love to be favored haha

and yeah, miami is a big area lol. i'm taking my mcat in alabama, though (no spots left in florida/georgia), so i'm excited to make a stop in tally!

I suppose I will be the resident MS3 or year. Feels kind of weird to say. I still have Step 1 looming over me, but I will be able to answer lots of questions as well.

I graduated from another school and then did my premed science (and a few extra) courses at FSU, so I'm also fairly familiar with undergrad stuff at FSU. I was in Tallahassee for 4 years straight (not counting when I visited my parents) and will now be heading over to the Pensacola campus.

One of the things lacking in last year's thread was the 3rd and 4th year perspective. It is my goal to be able to accurately answer those questions as they come. I don't start until July, so best to hold off till then though. ;)

I suppose I will be the resident MS3 or year. Feels kind of weird to say. I still have Step 1 looming over me, but I will be able to answer lots of questions as well.

I graduated from another school and then did my premed science (and a few extra) courses at FSU, so I'm also fairly familiar with undergrad stuff at FSU. I was in Tallahassee for 4 years straight (not counting when I visited my parents) and will now be heading over to the Pensacola campus.

One of the things lacking in last year's thread was the 3rd and 4th year perspective. It is my goal to be able to accurately answer those questions as they come. I don't start until July, so best to hold off till then though. ;)

dude you're so committed and I dig it

do you guys get some time set aside for step 1 studying?

And a general step 1 question: is there a "step 1 day" where everyone in the U.S. takes step 1? Or is it scheduled like the MCAT?

do you guys get some time set aside for step 1 studying?

And a general step 1 question: is there a "step 1 day" where everyone in the U.S. takes step 1? Or is it scheduled like the MCAT?

Actually, this is a question I had for a long time before I got here. (The first part) Originally, it seemed like we didn't have much time for step 1 studying and I was apprehensive about that, so it is good to clear up.

The basic way it works during second year here is that we have 4 block exams each semester. Each block is around 4 to 5 weeks long. The first 3 blocks of second year is all your "general" stuff. If you have a solid foundation in that, then the rest of the year is much easier. After that you begin a systems approach to stuff which is a little more integrative...and interesting.

Basically, at the end of the last exam of spring semester (Exam 8) we are given a 2ish week break, without any classes or anything else, to study for our "comprehensives". This is basically a cumulative final for all 6 classes for the entire year. The questions are taken from the NBME database, which is supposed to be the best correlation to your USMLE performance. Your actual performance doesn't count for much of your grade and is adjusted accordingly. I viewed that as a practice step 1.

After that exam, you are given nearly 6 weeks off before you start rotations. (Orientation is at the end of June and rotations start the first Monday of July) Your mission during that time is to study for and take step 1, pack up your crap and move to wherever you are doing rotations.

You register/schedule for your exam around January. There is no specific date because every school does it differently. You can register at any testing location you'd like. I knew my test date around the end of January. MOST people try to study for about 4 weeks from the end of comprehensive +/- a couple days. I can tell you now that 4 weeks is A LOT of time, especially if you started dedicating time in February like me.

A few people schedule their exam as late as humanly possible because they feel that extra time will help them. Statistics and research show otherwise and I personally think it is unwise, but to each their own. The advantage to the 4 week plan is that I will have 2 weeks off to relax and move before rotations.

Because I considered our comprehensives a practice step 1 rather than a unique test to study for, I just started my step 1 review then. That basically means I have 7 of weeks of study time.

I actually enjoy it a bit more than regular class because now I have no other obligations. I just wake up, come to school, drink lots of coffee and study. The part that sucks is that I literally don't know what day it is sometimes. It is like groundhog's day.

Hope that helps.

round two here i come!

working on getting my AMCAS in, in the next couple weeks (about two months earlier than last year, lol)

good luck to everyone! especially sisterdisco =D

Oh and sisterdisco, did you contact FSU for feedback from last years app yet? I'm wondering when I should email dana about that..

round two here i come!

working on getting my AMCAS in, in the next couple weeks (about two months earlier than last year, lol)

good luck to everyone! especially sisterdisco =D

Oh and sisterdisco, did you contact FSU for feedback from last years app yet? I'm wondering when I should email dana about that..

haha I have a teleconference with Dr. Patrick today....kiiiiiinda nervous for it--Dana said she will be in touch after June 15th with advice, so you should contact her then :)

Good luuuuuuck

Update!

So I spoke with Dr. Patrick today. We were completely accurate with our speculating about the Hold List last cycle (man we're smart)

I was within the top ten on the list, and they only took like 4 people from it. so chang, you probably were up there too :)

Update!

So I spoke with Dr. Patrick today. We were completely accurate with our speculating about the Hold List last cycle (man we're smart)

I was within the top ten on the list, and they only took like 4 people from it. so chang, you probably were up there too :)

WOW that's so insane that they only had 4 people drop out.. dang..

sucks for us but hopefully we'll get in outright this year with an early application and whatnot. lol

I'm loving the love FSU is getting so early haha what'd you decide to do this coming year sisterdisco?

As an FSU High School grad, current FSU biochemistry undergrad student, and an FSU-COM Early Decision applicant, I think I'll chime in here.

About the Campus
First off, FSU-COM is on the same campus as the undergraduate programs. Guys: the women are EVERYWHERE.

Also, let me just say that our campus is looking gorgeous as we have recently had a massive landscaping overhaul. The region of campus where the COM is is relatively new; new psychology and biology buildings, plus the COM itself isn't that old.

FSU is virtually clutter-less. We are mostly steam powered and you won't see power poles with lines running building to building. Trust me, you don't realize how much of an eye sore those are until they're GONE :cool: We have well kept and mostly brick/concrete mixed walkways - but it is all bike, skateboard, & longboard friendly!

We have a super nice gym, complete with every machine and weight set you could imagine, plus an indoor pool, two hot tubs, two steam rooms, & a sauna. We have a health center that is in the process of being replaced by an even bigger one (will be completed June 2012).

Living Arrangements
Please take care of this ASAP! We have LOTS of housing around with a wide range of prices, BUT we have a large undergraduate population so apartments fill up fast. Basically, places get more expensive as you move away from campus, either north, east, or southeast (towards the richer parts of town). To the west and south, you encounter the country/redneck & "bad" parts of town.

Stuff to Do
1) Football season - be prepared.
2) FSU Reservation - free kayaking, obstacle course, lake "beach", and much more all free for students.
3) Night life - again, be prepared. We have an on-campus bar as well as too many to count off-campus clubs.
4) FSU Student Life Center - equipped with our own movie theater!

FSU really is a wonderful place. Good luck to all who are applying!

~10 spots in each class. Yeah, like he said, if you have ties to Florida it helps (used to live there, have family there, etc)

They've only ever taken someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line once, and that person used to live in FL or their family had just moved to FL or something like that.

Not really true. ;)

There are several people in the last few classes where their only real ties have been doing undergrad in Florida or something equally as unimpressive.

As an FSU High School grad, current FSU biochemistry undergrad student, and an FSU-COM Early Decision applicant, I think I'll chime in here.

About the Campus
First off, FSU-COM is on the same campus as the undergraduate programs. Guys: the women are EVERYWHERE.

Also, let me just say that our campus is looking gorgeous as we have recently had a massive landscaping overhaul. The region of campus where the COM is is relatively new; new psychology and biology buildings, plus the COM itself isn't that old.

FSU is virtually clutter-less. We are mostly steam powered and you won't see power poles with lines running building to building. Trust me, you don't realize how much of an eye sore those are until they're GONE :cool: We have well kept and mostly brick/concrete mixed walkways - but it is all bike, skateboard, & longboard friendly!

We have a super nice gym, complete with every machine and weight set you could imagine, plus an indoor pool, two hot tubs, two steam rooms, & a sauna. We have a health center that is in the process of being replaced by an even bigger one (will be completed June 2012).

Living Arrangements
Please take care of this ASAP! We have LOTS of housing around with a wide range of prices, BUT we have a large undergraduate population so apartments fill up fast. Basically, places get more expensive as you move away from campus, either north, east, or southeast (towards the richer parts of town). To the west and south, you encounter the country/redneck & "bad" parts of town.

Stuff to Do
1) Football season - be prepared.
2) FSU Reservation - free kayaking, obstacle course, lake "beach", and much more all free for students.
3) Night life - again, be prepared. We have an on-campus bar as well as too many to count off-campus clubs.
4) FSU Student Life Center - equipped with our own movie theater!

FSU really is a wonderful place. Good luck to all who are applying!

Having attended a different school and spent time on a fair amount of campuses, I can say that the Leach is mediocre at best as far as college gyms go. Much of their equipment really really needs to be replaced and they need to have trainers who have more qualifications than being an exercise science major to give guidance.

Football season has gotten better here, but the tailgating needs improvement. ;)

Nightlife is acceptable but nothing ridiculous. Besides, you'll be in medical school, so why does it matter. :p You'll find people tend to find one or two places and go to those most of the time anyway. Usually, it is centered around proof or AJs because they are close to where a lot of people live.

Having attended a different school and spent time on a fair amount of campuses, I can say that the Leach is mediocre at best as far as college gyms go. Much of their equipment really really needs to be replaced and they need to have trainers who have more qualifications than being an exercise science major to give guidance...

Compared to our other gym options, Leach >> Gold's; unless you'd like to head north to a Premier center. Also, one of my best friends had to pay more for her certification test than I did for the MCAT. Just my experience..

If only they had southwest =/ hahaha

anyway, i got my feedback from Dana today about my application last year and hopefully with a much earlier application this cycle and an improved MCAT (i hope!!!) I'll get an outright acceptance! =D

Compared to our other gym options, Leach >> Gold's; unless you'd like to head north to a Premier center. Also, one of my best friends had to pay more for her certification test than I did for the MCAT. Just my experience..

I've got my CSCS. Most of the "certifications" below a CSCS are pointless and are so easy a monkey could pass the test. Any certification exam that doesn't require at least a bachelors, is just for flash and to show off the consumer. Keep in mind, exam cost does not equate to relevance either. Step 2 CS is over a thousand dollars and is pretty much the most worthless exam one could ever take.

I watched the racquetball glass shatter over someone because they were stupid and put weights by it. I saw the few power racks shaking because they weren't properly secured to the wall. I saw bars that were never oiled or replaced, which led to one side not rotating and the potential for severe joint damage if not prepared. I saw trainers "teaching" people how to bench with the worst technique I've ever seen...same with all the major lifts. I also had a trainer tell me to stop doing my "olympic lifts" which weren't olympic lifts.

They put a huge emphasis on machines, but many of the machines are older and put awful force on the people joints. I've actually talked with the head people there when doing something for the med school and it was ridiculous how biased they were. There is a complete anti-strength training culture that permeates through there based on old ideas and it drives me nuts.

It depends what golds you go to. I don't like any of the locations here though. There are other gyms besides premier that are better. That being said, I prefer Golds over the Leach usually. Why? They let me store some equipment there, which was nice. I also never (or rarely) have to wait for any piece of equipment. If you go to the gym to watch cardio bunnies (Those are the attractive girls that dress up to run on treadmills) then the Golds by campus and the Leach are your only options. If you actually want to get an uninterrupted workout in, the other two Gold's are just dandy.

If you have money and don't mind traveling, a place like Titus or Crossfit are really solid, especially if you don't know how to design a workout plan.

Not really true. ;)

There are several people in the last few classes where their only real ties have been doing undergrad in Florida or something equally as unimpressive.

dunno, just repeating what Dean Patrick told me. Spending any time in FL (including doing undergrad) is really important, according to what he told me.

Paraphrasing: Because of the school's mission being specific to the state of FL, it's really important to show any connection possible to the state. Most significant is time spent there, so as to show you know what it's like, that you're committed to the state, and that you would be a good candidate for living/practicing there (instead of just taking off after med school).

Again, just what I was told, may be different on a case-by-case basis.

If only they had southwest =/ hahaha

anyway, i got my feedback from Dana today about my application last year and hopefully with a much earlier application this cycle and an improved MCAT (i hope!!!) I'll get an outright acceptance! =D

What Dr. Patrick told me could improve my app the most: Move to Florida.
XD

Last edited:
What Dr. Patrick told me could improve my app the most: Move to Florida.
XD

Time to move I guess, right sisterdisco!? haha

I say as I'm in Boston looking for housing (which sucks so much by the way)

It depends what golds you go to. I don't like any of the locations here though. There are other gyms besides premier that are better. That being said, I prefer Golds over the Leach usually. Why? They let me store some equipment there, which was nice. I also never (or rarely) have to wait for any piece of equipment. If you go to the gym to watch cardio bunnies (Those are the attractive girls that dress up to run on treadmills) then the Golds by campus and the Leach are your only options. If you actually want to get an uninterrupted workout in, the other two Gold's are just dandy.

:D :thumbup::thumbup:

Most serious workout people in my class goes to Golds

Well I'm officially verified for 2012, EDP FSUCOM! I'm 4 months earlier in applying than last year and have a much better overall application. Moved to Tallahassee two weeks ago and starting grad classes in the Fall. Good luck to everyone! :xf:

Well I'm officially verified for 2012, EDP FSUCOM! I'm 4 months earlier in applying than last year and have a much better overall application. Moved to Tallahassee two weeks ago and starting grad classes in the Fall. Good luck to everyone! :xf:

you sound all set! GOOD LUCK! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

you sound all set! GOOD LUCK! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks, you too! From what I've read on this forum I was one of the people very low on the hold list, but hopefully getting my app in earlier will help this time.

Thanks, you too! From what I've read on this forum I was one of the people very low on the hold list, but hopefully getting my app in earlier will help this time.

ha well...Chang and I were both high and it didn't help :p we're all in the same boat, seeing as they only ended up taking like 4 people off hold.

But we'll have good outcomes this year!!

Hey everybody! I just wanted to introduce myself as a student in the C/O 2015. I did more stalking than actual posting during the application cycle last year, but I really enjoyed all the insight I gained from reading the "current student perspective". So, as a way to provide that insight for other applicants, I'll do my best to keep up with this year's forum and chime in whenever I can help!

I'll be completely honest, I don't know the folks in admissions or anything, so I'm not the insider to turn to for brownie points or anything. I'm just here to provide a first-year perspective to your queries :) This will probably be more helpful as people start getting interviews, acceptances, and concerns about the accepted student checklist and orientation.

Good luck to all the applicants this year! I was here for all of about 4 days when I started using phrases such as, "I love this place" and "I am completely confident and comfortable with my decision to attend FSU COM!" Now, I've been here for 4 weeks (orientation included) and I feel exactly the same way! FSU COM is wonderful! We have our first exam on Monday and peer morale is high! I think that really says a lot about how you are treated from day 1, when you get here!

Soooooo, get those applications in ASAP!!! Primaries should be submitted by now... If your AMCAS isn't complete, I challenge you to get it done by July 1st! An early app can only help your chances! PM or give me a shout out if I can answer any questions y'all might have!

Hey everyone!
I went to UF for undergrad and then USF to finish some prereqs and am starting a MS grad program at USF this fall to pass the time. I just read a lot of the posts from last year and seems like a variety of students were accepted, so I am really hoping I will be considered! The only thing is that I have everything right now except my MCAT score. I am not taking the MCAT until Aug 6 so I was wondering if you all think that is late and going to place me at a disadvantage? My boyfriend is in the marine corps and got sent to Afghanistan last minute so it required me to change my date and that was the only thing open in FL! I just learned that I can get my AMCAS "validated" before I even have my scores yet. Is this true? Also, do you need all of your letters before "validation?"
Thanks!

Hey everyone!
I went to UF for undergrad and then USF to finish some prereqs and am starting a MS grad program at USF this fall to pass the time. I just read a lot of the posts from last year and seems like a variety of students were accepted, so I am really hoping I will be considered! The only thing is that I have everything right now except my MCAT score. I am not taking the MCAT until Aug 6 so I was wondering if you all think that is late and going to place me at a disadvantage? My boyfriend is in the marine corps and got sent to Afghanistan last minute so it required me to change my date and that was the only thing open in FL! I just learned that I can get my AMCAS "validated" before I even have my scores yet. Is this true? Also, do you need all of your letters before "validation?"
Thanks!

If you have everything else ready to go before then, then you should be ok.

As long as you input a date for the test AMCAS can get verified. But FSU won't look at your app until it's in

Hey everyone!
Thanks!

And you don't need all your letters in before validation, good luck!

And you don't need all your letters in before validation, good luck!

Awesome! Thanks for your help! I saw you on last year's thread too. Are you a FSU student now?
As far as validation goes, when I "submit to AMCAS" I know it wanted me to choose my med schools that I want to apply to. Does this have to be decided and paid before I can validate? I cannot find this info anywhere. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.