2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they said it was on the fifteenth. Not a Tuesday, though, so I dunno. :laugh:

When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Interview done! It was lovely, and full of nice interviewers/people, and the Mayo is amazing. Congrats, Black Knight! They mentioned that they had enough spots for everyone that was there today, so there's about ten or so spots left at least. :D So no need for neurosis yet.

So, I was wondering: thank-you notes. Is that a thing people do? It seems a little brown-nosy, but I also don't want to offend or appear ungrateful.

Your MCAT....

images

Maybe they meet on Tuesday and release info on the 15th? Or maybe I am just bad at listening...

I interviewed the 2nd, and it was lovely. Mayo brings in some really cool people to interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is tomorrow when the whole board meets? Does anyone remember from their interview? I just remember it was a Tuesday.

The next meetings are this Thursday and next Tuesday. They said we could be hearing back by next week with an acceptance or hold if we are ranked this Thursday.

I interviewed here yesterday. It was great!

Hi all, I checked last years thread and didn't see it happen but does anyone know/heard of whether or not people manage to get off the hold status prior to Jan? Is it possible to be accepted in the next couple of weeks? I remember them saying that our apps would continue to be reviewed...asking because I want to send an update on a couple of new accomplishments (research) but not sure if it will make a difference (though I probably will either way- can't hurt to try!). I really really want to go here (like everyone else!)

Has anyone who interviewed on or after 11/11/11 heard anything yet (besides ranked email)?

Your MCAT....

images

Yeah, it was a pretty good day when I looked up the scores. :laugh: I honestly had no expectation of doing so well; I felt pretty rotten walking out of it. So, blame luck, God, solid undergraduate coursework, or some combination thereof. :D

Today is rank day! Does someone remember when they start making calls? Was it two weeks after?

[Oops; double-posted.]

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a pretty good day when I looked up the scores. :laugh: I honestly had no expectation of doing so well; I felt pretty rotten walking out of it. So, blame luck, God, solid undergraduate coursework, or some combination thereof. :D

Today is rank day! Does someone remember when they start making calls? Was it two weeks after?

I interviewed on Monday, and they said that those who are ranked today will be called (if accepted) or emailed (if on hold) by the end of next week.

Just got my Ranked email. Interviewed on Monday. They told my group that we should each receive some kind of update (call/email) by the end of next week.

Same! :D What a lovely Christmas present *that* would be.

Finally ranked! Just in time for me to go to Asia for a month where my phone will be out of service...maybe that's a good thing?

Got the hold status email today - interviewed on Nov. 14.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...interviewed on Friday. Mayo was as awesome as everybody said it would be. Gina had to miss the opening talk and so we didn't really get a full explanation of the application process...how often do the ranking/executive committees meet?

Also, I don't know if this had been mentioned yet, but they told us on the interview day that the Dean of MMS Dr. Lindor is retiring/moving to Arizona State.

this might be a n00b question but i'm a little confused about what happens after one is accepted to a school. Take mayo for example, they accept ~72 but have a strict cap on the class at 42. what if 50 people want to matriculate? Do they reject the 8 extra based on rank?

That possibility kinda scares me, even though i'm not accepted anywhere. i'm actually put on hold for mayo :(

thanks in advance. good luck and cheers!

They will only give out 42 acceptances initially, and will give out more and more as these acceptances are declined by the students. Thus, most of the movement on the waitlist will occur the deadline for final acceptance (May 15? I think) when the initial deposit becomes non-refundable. So, no one given an acceptance will later be rejected. :laugh:

So, if anyone gets a call from Gina this week, be sure to let us all know, mm?

They will only give out 42 acceptances initially, and will give out more and more as these acceptances are declined by the students. Thus, most of the movement on the waitlist will occur the deadline for final acceptance (May 15? I think) when the initial deposit becomes non-refundable. So, no one given an acceptance will later be rejected. :laugh:

So, if anyone gets a call from Gina this week, be sure to let us all know, mm?

oh i see. very nice. thanks Filius. makes sense :)

Does anyone have a prediction when calls and emails may go out this week?

Does anyone have a prediction when calls and emails may go out this week?

I believe the executive committee meets today (that's what Gina said at my interview 12/12), so I imagine they could start tonight some time?

Just received the hold email. Interviewed 12/12. What's the schedule for notifying hold applicants about reject/waitlist? I don't remember what we were told.

Just received the hold email. Interviewed 12/12. What's the schedule for notifying hold applicants about reject/waitlist? I don't remember what we were told.
on hold here too. here's what the website says:
During the admissions cycle, a review of all ranked candidates will occur every two to three weeks, at which time appointment offers are made.

Those applicants not receiving appointments during the initial review will receive notification of their "hold status." During each subsequent review, all previously reviewed applicants remain active and eligible to receive appointment offers.

This periodic and "rolling" admissions process allows for all applicants to remain active for admissions consideration, irrespective of their interview dates, until the class is filled by March 15.

I'm assuming March 15th is when the waitlist is formed. I do remember her saying that they would send out some rejections in January.

On hold as well! Got it this morning -- so if you've interviewed and you haven't gotten an "on hold" email, I'd start waiting by the phone! :laugh:

Reading through previous threads, it seems like they've tended to put all of the applicants from the last month or so of interviews on hold initially, and then accepted some a few weeks after interviews ended. I wonder if they could be doing that again this year....(maybe not, but it looks like no one has posted an acceptance in a few weeks, and none who interviewed from mid-november and on)

True. Plus someone recently said that Gina had told them that there were 10 more spots so I would like to think at least one of them would have gone to someone on sdn.
Still hoping...

I received an acceptance call yesterday. Interviewed on 12/5. Never posted on SDN before, didn't want to jinx it!

Last edited:
Congrats! :D

And merry Christmas! I like the non-post-jinxing theory of success, as it gives me an easy excuse for my hold status. :laugh: I take it you never got a hold email before the acceptance call?

Congrats! :D

And merry Christmas! I like the non-post-jinxing theory of success, as it gives me an easy excuse for my hold status. :laugh: I take it you never got a hold email before the acceptance call?

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you too. No, I did not get a hold email. Earlier in the year, I thought the pattern was that acceptance calls went out on Monday and hold emails on Tuesday. If this was true, they must have mixed things up this week. I was disappointed not to hear anything on Monday, concerned on Tuesday, but then very happy to get my call on Wednesday.

I was deferred after my interview by Mayo and would like to update them with a recent publication? Do they accept this sort of update and, if so, what's the preferred e-mail of contact. Thanks!

Anyone know when the next AdCom meeting is?

I think they're done meeting now, aren't they? When we were ranked, we were assigned a total numerical grade; my understanding is that they gave acceptances to the first 42, and will then just go down the list as these acceptances are declined, until they have the full class all put together. So the only thing now is just to hope there's a lot of people who ultimately decide Rochester's not for them. :laugh:

I think there was going to be a point where they were going to make a wait list though. Wasn't it supposed to be mid-January? Anyone remember? So some of us will get rejected soon and others of us will get wait listed. Then after May 15 the waitlist begins to move.

I think they're done meeting now, aren't they? When we were ranked, we were assigned a total numerical grade; my understanding is that they gave acceptances to the first 42, and will then just go down the list as these acceptances are declined, until they have the full class all put together. So the only thing now is just to hope there's a lot of people who ultimately decide Rochester's not for them. :laugh:

Oh yeah, you're right. So everyone, just remember how cold Rochester is...

I got a miss call from rochester around 7:38 their time ( first time getting call from rochester ever). No voicemail left, and no email from Mayo as of yet. Is this an acceptance call or do I have my hopes up too high?

:laugh: I got a call from a Minnesota telemarketer just before Christmas; never been so disappointed. Did you get a hold email?

Yeah, I got a hold email like 3 weeks ago. I called back but no one answered and went to an automated voice message. Seemed like a call from a cell phone. Found it very odd...

I got a miss call from rochester around 7:38 their time ( first time getting call from rochester ever). No voicemail left, and no email from Mayo as of yet. Is this an acceptance call or do I have my hopes up too high?

Sounds like it would be good news to me. I mean, they haven't called me just to tell me I'm still on hold...

:laugh: I got a call from a Minnesota telemarketer just before Christmas; never been so disappointed. Did you get a hold email?

That would probably bring me close to tears. I am sorry.

Has anyone placed on post interview hold received an acceptance yet?

Can anyone comment on who calls, if you miss the call do they leave a message, and how long after phone call do you recieve an acceptance email? Thanks... Still trying to get a hold of someone at admissions.

Can anyone comment on who calls, if you miss the call do they leave a message, and how long after phone call do you recieve an acceptance email? Thanks... Still trying to get a hold of someone at admissions.

I was told that if they call you and you do not answer, they will try again later. They said they will not send an acceptance email until they are able to get a hold of you by phone first.

Call Gina?

I have been, but it seems she is out for the day...I guess I will call Monday then.

It's possible that it was an acceptance phone call, but I will say that normally they do not come out at night, and usually they leave a message (atleast they did last year). If you could give me the phone # that you got it from, I could tell you whether or not it's a Mayo-affiliated number and who it was who called you if it was.

I sent in an update letter/letter of interest a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten a response that it was received. Has anyone else gotten responses to these sorts of letters, or is it normal to just assume they were received but not hear back?

Thanks!

It's possible that it was an acceptance phone call, but I will say that normally they do not come out at night, and usually they leave a message (atleast they did last year). If you could give me the phone # that you got it from, I could tell you whether or not it's a Mayo-affiliated number and who it was who called you if it was.

thanks for the help!

I sent in an update letter/letter of interest a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten a response that it was received. Has anyone else gotten responses to these sorts of letters, or is it normal to just assume they were received but not hear back?

Thanks!

I sent an update to Gina and she sent me a confirmation email

That is where I sent my update letter and she responded back with a confirmation e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.