2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They request you send them a letter of intent to be placed on the alternate list. Generally a letter of intent says "I plan to attend your school if accepted" which is not the same as a letter of interest which just tells them you're interested in their school.

Of course they can't hold you to anything you say in a letter of intent but I think they're looking to find people who really are committed to going to Mayo if they get in off the alternate list.

This was my thought. Boo. I don't want to lie, but Mayo is my second choice. I want to stay eligible in case Yale doesn't work out...

Is that what the letter of intent means...I was hoping that, in this case, it was more of a 'letter of continued interest' vs. people just withdrawing their app. I don't know if I'm ready to fully commit myself to any place without seeing financial aid information that will come out in march.

Ditto. I hope there's a work-around (other than lying)

Members don't see this ad.

I know what I would have done. :rolleyes:

I'm big-time bummed, but that's life. Every school has its blemishes, or things we wish we could alter, but to me, all of them added up to pittance compared to Mayo as an institution and school.

Really, just getting this far is amazing. As someone noted above, the acceptance rate is minuscule. I understand why they interview so many for a comparatively few amount of spots; it's the philosophy of the school and to find the perfect fits. Just about everyone who mentioned the students they met commented on how thrilled they were to be at Mayo and in Rochester.

You think they might select for that?

If you can't see yourself happy in Rochester for four years, or if you have any number of doubts, go where you are comfortable.

I wish everyone the best of luck, and I hope SDN fills up the class of 2016. It was my dream to attend here, but as the great philosopher Jagger once said, 'you can't always get what you want.'

rejected and pretty ok with that. rochester just wasn't for me. good luck to everyone on the alternate list. may we all end up where we will thrive :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list. Having the same issue as others regarding the letter of intent. I sent a quick note to Gina stating that I remained very interested in attending Mayo and would happily accept a position on the alternate list. She thanked me for my quick reply and said that it was added to the file and that I'm on the list. Maybe they pick people off the alternate list based on what you say? I agree though, don't lie.

So is the letter of intent just supposed to be a confirmation that you would accept a spot, or is it more like an essay where you need to demonstrate your interest?

So is the letter of intent just supposed to be a confirmation that you would accept a spot, or is it more like an essay where you need to demonstrate your interest?

Don't forget to staple a twenty to that essay! :laugh:

I'd also be interested in knowing this. Usually a letter of intent states you WILL go there if accepted, and often goes into detail explaining why you'd be a good fit for the school. Is that sort of detail expected? Also, though I'd love to go to Mayo, I can't commit to attending before knowing about financial aid. If they expect that sort of commitment, I'm not sure I can write that letter. Or is it more like a letter of continued interest? If none of you know, I'll probably call tomorrow to find out.

Rejected today. Although I am upset over the rejection, I did find the e-mail pleasant and am not left with any hard feelings. The one thing I did notice about the school that I didn't really agree with was that Mayo seemed to care more about the diversity of its applicants than the applicants qualifications. That may sound ignorant, let me explain: it seemed that Mayo has somewhat of a category for each student they interview. Maybe a student is underrepresented, a jock, a parent, recovered from a major medical trauma, or something unique. From everything I have seen it looks like if someone who is similar to you was accepted, you have no chance of being accepted; regardless of your desire, qualifications, or determination. You may be a better applicant than 99% of the pool, but if that 1% is the same as you, your chances are out the door!
Who knows, maybe I'm just completely backwards in my logic and trying to comfort myself. Haha, Truth is I wasn't nearly as strong of an applicant as the rest of you all. It just seemed that who I am wasn't as important as what I am. Congrats to everyone on the wait list and those accepted. The Midwest isn't all that bad haha.

Few things.... as a current student and one who was taken of the wait list I feel that I might have some things to offer to the discussion.

Congrats to all of you who remain on the alternate list. It is a tremendous honor and although its a scary position to be in, last year that accepted over 90 to fill the class so you do have good odds of coming off of it. The letter of intent Gina is referring to is simply a "I accept the offer to stay on the alternate list"- its not "I will absolutely come to Mayo if accepted".... obviously right? However once you do figure out all of your acceptances/rejections you might consider writing a letter of intent to your top choice (only)- it lets them know that you are in love with the school and couldn't see yourself going anywhere else. Just to clarify this for you guys.

To those of you who were rejected today- I am very sorry. For some of you Mayo wasn't your top choice (although I am biased and cannot comprehend such a thought ;) but either way, you are all immensely capable. The letter may not have been worded the way you would have liked but know that they care very much about all of you and that each year they are shocked at how amazing all of you are. For those of you who have commented on the hassle of the process- well, that's true for everyone who applies to medical school - its the sacrifice we make to someday care for others so you just got to suck it up. All in all, its a perfectly logical investment and to have the opportunity to go to a school where you pay almost nothing to attend, I think its well worth it. Mayo also is very considerate of applicants in that their process is speedy. They wanted all of you to know your status early so you could better prepare. Heck, I hadn't even interviewed at some places at this time last year. They care very much about the applicants here and everything they do is purposeful and in your best interest. Also, I would like to comment on the diversity > qualifications argument. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the diversity in our class and how much I have grown because of it. Each class is different from the next and each has its own unique dynamics and thus I know they don't have specific "roles" they are looking for. Everyone is perfectly qualified and equally amazing in other aspects. Personally, I'd rather have interesting/genuine/passionate fun classmates than boring/smart ones! Haha but really each of you is unique so don't think that you weren't chosen because you were anything but.

Other thoughts- 2nd look is coming up so all of you who have been accepted PLEASE consider coming. We will have student hosting available and it should be a great time for you to get to meet more students and see how great Rochester/Mayo is. I cannot tell you all how much I love it here. I've tried finding the negatives and just can't....honestly. My classmates are great and I literally still have to pinch myself to make sure this is reality. If anyone has questions about Mayo feel free to ask. I don't usually come on SDN but since I knew the wait list was coming out I thought I would check it out and will continue to if people have questions/concerns. Don't freak out too much from this point on. Send in your updates (and not grades!) and if you deem it appropriate, a letter of intent. Good luck and have a good rest of the interview season!! :)

i'm out too. disappointing because of course it's an amazing school, but i kind of expected that it was a bit of a long shot. seems like the rejections that schools have been holding on to for so long are rollin out now. AUUUGGHH :scared: - (p) panicpending

I'd also be interested in knowing this. Usually a letter of intent states you WILL go there if accepted, and often goes into detail explaining why you'd be a good fit for the school. Is that sort of detail expected? Also, though I'd love to go to Mayo, I can't commit to attending before knowing about financial aid. If they expect that sort of commitment, I'm not sure I can write that letter. Or is it more like a letter of continued interest? If none of you know, I'll probably call tomorrow to find out.

Omnom, as far as financial aid goes, I think you can expect Mayo to be one of the most inexpensive options out of any school. They told me that last year, one class (I believe M1?) paid an average of $6,000 per semester. Mayo is crazy generous about giving out grants from the Mayo Foundation.

If anyone ends up asking Gina about the letter of intent (is it just a confirmation or an essay?) then please post that info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Statistically Mayo has the lowest student debt of any medical school at graduation. Financial aid here cannot be beat (unless you get a full ride somewhere). Hope this helps!

Thanks for the awesome post... though I have to say that as a Husky, I do not approve of your avatar choice :)

Yeah, we have some of your types in my class and we've learned to hug out our differences. The one thing that has brought us together is our mutual understanding that the real UDub is located in the Pacific Northwest.... NOT Wisconsin.

yeah, we have some of your types in my class and we've learned to hug out our differences. The one thing that has brought us together is our mutual understanding that the real udub is located in the pacific northwest.... Not wisconsin.

false!

So, the AL email says "The Alternate List is a pool of selected applicants who remain under consideration following the completion of initial offers for acceptance. The Alternate List is not ranked; therefore, we are unable to give you an indication where you are on the list."

And, upon closer reflection, this makes no sense! They're saying that they *don't* assign a numerical ranking to each candidate? So each time a new acceptance is required, they have to re-evaluate the entire list?

Assuming I'm not reading too much into "not ranked," this definitely lends credence to the views espoused by western1 above. :laugh:

Sigh. People need to start turning down their acceptances faster, is all I know.

Filius,

this is correct. The alternate list isn't ranked such that all candidates are reviewed when openings in the class arise. Mayo does have an idea for the ideal diversity in the class and each person selected for the class is thought to fulfill a unique niche. When an acceptee declines their acceptance, the admissions committee looks to find a different applicant to fill the vacated niche.

Hey guys! So for the letter of intent to stay in the alternate list, are you guys writing a simple yes I am very interested in mayo please put me on the list or are they expecting an actual page long letter? Thanks!!!

Hey guys! So for the letter of intent to stay in the alternate list, are you guys writing a simple yes I am very interested in mayo please put me on the list or are they expecting an actual page long letter? Thanks!!!

I responded with a simple "accept a place on the alternate list" email, and will be writing a longer letter within the next couple weeks.

Thanks guys! Also, did you guys get any sort of confirmation after sending the email?

Since Mayo is my top choice, I'm going to go ahead and write a letter stating that and why it is so.

I didn't get any confirmation.

I sent my acceptance five days ago, and just got a confirmation this morning. So it might take a bit; she likely has lots and lots to get through. Does anyone remember how long the alternate list is supposed to be?

Quick Question about Letters of Intent

I really want to attend Mayo, but I have been waitlisted.

If I havent heard anything by July and I put a deposit down to an apartment or house in the locations of one of the other schools I have been accepted to and then get a pulled off the waitlist am I obligated because of my letter of intent?

At some point it is just to late to accept a spot at Mayo(beginning of July), but I would like to help my chances by having a letter of intent.

Any advice?

Quick Question about Letters of Intent

I really want to attend Mayo, but I have been waitlisted.

If I havent heard anything by July and I put a deposit down to an apartment or house in the locations of one of the other schools I have been accepted to and then get a pulled off the waitlist am I obligated because of my letter of intent?

At some point it is just to late to accept a spot at Mayo(beginning of July), but I would like to help my chances by having a letter of intent.

Any advice?

The acceptance of the waitlist position is not synonymous with the usual meaning of a "letter or intent," despite the ambiguity of the request for letter of intent for accepting a waitlist position as outlined in the email last week. You should have received an update regarding that ambiguity from admissions.

If you do so choose to send a letter of intent, explaining that you will attend Mayo if accepted, in no uncertain terms, that letter is obligatory unless you would actually matriculate elsewhere, as far as I know. The good news there is that Mayo starts relatively early. School starts on July 16. Generally, there is movement on Mayo's list up until the start of school, as I know a classmate this year who got in about a week before matriculation.

My advice to you (and everyone) is this: If your feelings are that you would definitely attend Mayo over all other schools, send the letter of intent. Mayo does consider LOIs especially late in the admissions process. However, if you aren't willing to abide by the ethics of a letter of intent all the way until Mayo begins the year (July 16th), you really can't send one. You could call admissions on this if you wanted, but I atleast have never heard of an "expiring" intent letter.

The acceptance of the waitlist position is not synonymous with the usual meaning of a "letter or intent," despite the ambiguity of the request for letter of intent for accepting a waitlist position as outlined in the email last week. You should have received an update regarding that ambiguity from admissions.

If you do so choose to send a letter of intent, explaining that you will attend Mayo if accepted, in no uncertain terms, that letter is obligatory unless you would actually matriculate elsewhere, as far as I know. The good news there is that Mayo starts relatively early. School starts on July 16. Generally, there is movement on Mayo's list up until the start of school, as I know a classmate this year who got in about a week before matriculation.

My advice to you (and everyone) is this: If your feelings are that you would definitely attend Mayo over all other schools, send the letter of intent. Mayo does consider LOIs especially late in the admissions process. However, if you aren't willing to abide by the ethics of a letter of intent all the way until Mayo begins the year (July 16th), you really can't send one. You could call admissions on this if you wanted, but I atleast have never heard of an "expiring" intent letter.

Couldn't MrLahey just withdraw from the waitlist if he's not accepted by the beginning of July (or whenever he decides it's too late to change)? Therefore, he can just explain the situation, and he's not stealing a spot from someone else on the waitlist.

Couldn't MrLahey just withdraw from the waitlist if he's not accepted by the beginning of July (or whenever he decides it's too late to change)? Therefore, he can just explain the situation, and he's not stealing a spot from someone else on the waitlist.

Well I have already accepted my waitlist position, but I have not placed a a letter of intent. I would go to Mayo in a heart beat if accept with in the next few months. My problem is I dont know if I would be able to accept if I got accepted July. I still might accept if getting accepted than, but it would no long be a garuntee, because I might already have living arrangements elsewhere.

Long story short, I accepted my spot, but I will not be sending a binding letter of intent because I would still need to weigh my situation if an acceptance came very late in the summer.

Thanks for the info guys.

This is a very good point that I didn't think of. You could send your letter of intent and then withdraw from the school entirely if you feel the need to make binding arrangements in housing elsewhere.

For those on the alternate list: Is the earliest we will hear back May 15th, or can we possibly hear back in a month or two?

Good luck to you all :)

Did anyone besides Filius get a confirmation email after sending in the acceptance of the alternate spot?

I sent in mine a while ago and haven't heard anything.

For those on the alternate list: Is the earliest we will hear back May 15th, or can we possibly hear back in a month or two?

Good luck to you all :)

Word on the street is that they may accept more before May 15th as accepted students begin to withdraw. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Did anyone besides Filius get a confirmation email after sending in the acceptance of the alternate spot?

I sent in mine a while ago and haven't heard anything.

I received a short email confirmation from Gina a few days after accepting a spot on the alternate list.

Anybody know how many acceptances have been given out thus far? And what are the chances of acceptance off the alternate list? Thanks guys!

Just withdrew my application, hopefully someone else will receive good news soon enough to attend second look!

Thanks for letting us know- and for not holding onto it past when you were sure! Good luck alternate listers!

In case no one else took the time to look, but judging from the previous two years worth of threads, about 100 people are offered alternate list spots and 90-95% of those choose to accept the alternate list. Roughly 20 are taken off the list each year so we have a one in five shot of making it. :shrug:

Not holding my breath, which is exactly why I'm making plans for my current top choice school. I refuse to get caught up in the "what if" scenarios. If they call, they call. Enjoy the last few months of freedom before school starts :):luck:

This is a random question but: When people discuss Mayo's research ranking (and other prestige related things), does it only encompass the MN campus? Are the research departments at Florida/Arizona also considered in Mayo's research ranking (or are the alternative campuses considered separate)?

Any MSTPers get a call yet? Today is the day and it's already 2:30 pm PST, the suspense is killing me!

I have to come out of hibernation to respond. Udub = Wasington, but the best UW is indeed located in the great state of Wisconsin.

I withdrew from the alternate list. Good luck to the rest of you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.