2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys guys calm down I have met Mr. Rxnfiend in person and I can assure you that he is a fine gentleman. Somewhat of a loner though. He scared the rest of his interview group away apparently.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys guys calm down I have met Mr. Rxnfiend in person and I can assure you that he is a fine gentleman. Somewhat of a loner though. He scared the rest of his interview group away apparently.

Oh, I don't mind a bit. I'd be upset if someone got into Mayo and *didn't* gloat at all.

Sorry if it came off as callous, but like someone else said, I did say it was a firstworldproblem and was semi-joking. I also gave information on when second look weekend is for anyone wondering since I called Gina to ask. My bad. :)

There is no reason for you to feel bad about your acceptances and accolades you worked hard for them! I say go to the second look weekend at the school that pays for lodging, travel etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to what is important:thumbup::thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcp2q65Q4f0[/YOUTUBE]

Is it too early to turn in residency applications???? :laugh::laugh:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNM6DiVE_U&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APFv8CTtV8s&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

Rochester, MN?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BugbTepikDQ&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

:laugh:

There is no reason for you to feel bad about your acceptances and accolades you worked hard for them! I say go to the second look weekend at the school that pays for lodging, travel etc.

Thanks! That is a really good idea.

Is it too early to turn in residency applications????

Haha I hear you on that one! Mayo with its 6-star hotel appearance and wicked enthusiastic attendings would make it a lot easier to come in at 5 in the morning during a 4-7 year residency. :thumbup:

Just got my not selected for interview email. :(
They really do send out emails at weird times.

1) What is the 3rd year like and how is it structured?:

a) How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing?

2) Where do 3rd year evaluations come from?

3) How are medical students protected from scut?

4) How receptive is the administation to fixing problems and/or disciplining out of line behavior, especially from residents?

5) how is the research opportunities at Mayo?

6) how good is Mayo at focusing on the bread and butter?

Last edited:
No news from Mayo today?

I think I can answer this - I am actually waiting for a spot right now to open up so I can get off the deferred, but don't let that scare you.

There is no third year.

a) How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing?

Nope, no rotations - your hands stay as clean as a....biologically infested mess

Well, no third year so no rotations

Mayo makes you do all the scut

4) How receptive is the administation to fixing problems and/or disciplining out of line behavior, especially from residents?

I am basically the administration

Finding research at Mayo is like finding a trillion dollars

I mean, it tastes good with bread and butter, but just OK with peanut butter

Hope that helps! As you can see, you should turn down your spot - just an honest opinion.

With Love, raltima07

I think I can answer this - I am actually waiting for a spot right now to open up so I can get off the deferred, but don't let that scare you.

Hope that helps! As you can see, you should turn down your spot - just an honest opinion.

With Love, raltima07

raltima07, you just want Mayo so you can add it to the long list of schools you have already been accepted to. You can't win them all :laugh:....I assure you though by March Mayo will be just one of the schools you have to choose from.

To deter anymore attempts to garner my spot in the Mayo class. Here is a decree that I am 99.99% positive that I am going to be at Mayo in July. I mean just look at my screen name it was conceived in Mayo's honor.:D

Also very curious about the answers to these questions! Right on MayoorBust or uh Mike haha?

Let's put it this way: I will be in my 30's for most of medical school, and I am single. If I have to spend that time in Rochester, I will never get married (I'm female so this matters!).

Hey Lefty Doodle, this is just soo funny that I had to comment. You are supposed to become a physician which means you'll abandon all else for a life of service; you don't need us men at all j/k.

You're going to become a physician, and I'm sure you'll always run into some nice-looking single, male nurses during rotations ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
raltima07, you just want Mayo so you can add it to the long list of schools you have already been accepted to. You can't win them all :laugh:....I assure you though by March Mayo will be just one of the schools you have to choose from.

To deter anymore attempts to garner my spot in the Mayo class. Here is a decree that I am 99.99% positive that I am going to be at Mayo in July. I mean just look at my screen name it was conceived in Mayo's honor.:D

Haha, it was worth a try. At least I will know that I have done my part.

Anywho, I am interested in those questions as well

Poster-letter request rejection. Pretty frustrating considering that I have very competitive stats, experiences, and I WORK AT Mayo :mad:. Oh well.... To those who win this lottery and get accepted congratulations! This whole process is a bit too stochastic for my tastes.

Sorry to hear about it - and agreed, weird you didn't any love considering your affiliation w Mayo.

...Also, nice word usage. stochastic. :thumbup:

Hey thanks bud! I appreciate the condolences ha. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. I am still pretty damn surprised since Mayo is a classic "good 'ol boys club" type of school who likes to bring in people that "know people" in Mayo. Someone told me that a little under 20% of the entering class last year (or some class, idk the year) have parents that are doctors at Mayo_Obviously don't quote me on that because it's just something I heard and I'm not too certain of it. Still, it is widely known that you have to know people to get into Mayo. For jobs at least it is. I'm sure it's a bit different with the med school, but probably not by much.

I love the word stochastic. It just rolls off the tongue, eh? HA! :thumbup:

Hey thanks bud! I appreciate the condolences ha. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. I am still pretty damn surprised since Mayo is a classic "good 'ol boys club" type of school who likes to bring in people that "know people" in Mayo. Someone told me that a little under 20% of the entering class last year (or some class, idk the year) have parents that are doctors at Mayo_Obviously don't quote me on that because it's just something I heard and I'm not too certain of it. Still, it is widely known that you have to know people to get into Mayo. For jobs at least it is. I'm sure it's a bit different with the med school, but probably not by much.

I love the word stochastic. It just rolls off the tongue, eh? HA! :thumbup:

Wow. I thought the Mayo doctors would want to send their kids to schools like HMS, Yale etc. Something special must be really going on at Mayo. I talked to some doctors that I shadowed they had no idea that the Mayo Clinic had a medical school. They said I would be better off going to Baylor than Mayo. :shrug:

I talked to some doctors that I shadowed they had no idea that the Mayo Clinic had a medical school. They said I would be better off going to Baylor than Mayo. :shrug:
Did you tell them they're dumb?

Wow. I thought the Mayo doctors would want to send their kids to schools like HMS, Yale etc. Something special must be really going on at Mayo. I talked to some doctors that I shadowed they had no idea that the Mayo Clinic had a medical school. They said I would be better off going to Baylor than Mayo. :shrug:

That is really odd that they didn't know..... I know Mayo's research rank isn't near what their hospital rank is, but I am willing to bet that being able to do your clerkships at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic carries a lot of clout on residency applications.

That is really odd that they didn't know..... I know Mayo's research rank isn't near what their hospital rank is, but I am willing to bet that being able to do your clerkships at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic carries a lot of clout on residency applications.

The average (USNWR 2012) residency program director score of the Mayo Medical School is a 4.1 out of 5. This beats UCSD, UNC, UVA (4.0), Baylor (3.9), Case Western (3.8), but is lower or tied with everyone else in the top 25 (20 schools). I don't know what the margin of error on these ratings are, (and yes, the response rate is atrocious), but there's not an overwhelming amount of clout that MMS holds for residency.

These types of discussions irritate me...

Anything with USNWR written on it isn't worth 2 cents. In regards to their research rankings, their algorithm is flawed and Mayo is penalized because they don't take very much NIH funding (which is a large component of the formula). A ton of Mayo research is benefactor funded. Up until last year, Mayo chose not to be ranked by USNWR and I'm not sure of the reasoning the administration had in choosing to be ranked again. USNWR aside, Mayo ranks EASILY in top 10 if not top 5. There are many students both in my class and classes above who have turned down Harvard, Hopkins, and other Top 10's to come to Mayo.

In regards to the residency director surveys: Hmm these are done by USNWR, no surprise there. I often wonder how many quality residency directors throw those surveys right into the trash because they know what a joke USNWR is. Take a look at our match list and then make a judgement about how MMS is viewed by residencies.

Regarding last year's entering class: There are 4 of my classmates who have parents who are consultants here. That is less than 10% and in a quick glance of the 3 classes above me, the numbers are similar there as well. By no means do you have to "know people" to get accepted to Mayo. That is ridiculous and absurd. Yes, there is some legacy here but there is reason for it. Many of these legacy students have been raised in the Mayo culture and are prime candidates for continuing Mayo's care model and philosophies. However, by no means are these students suboptimal in comparison to the 'statistics' of the rest of the applicant pool and by no means are your chances hurt if you don't "know someone" at Mayo. "good 'ol boys club" "Still, it is widely known that you have to know people to get into Mayo." Please spare the SDN community of your ignorance!

Anything with USNWR written on it isn't worth 2 cents. In regards to their research rankings, their algorithm is flawed and Mayo is penalized because they don't take very much NIH funding (which is a large component of the formula). A ton of Mayo research is benefactor funded. Up until last year, Mayo chose not to be ranked by USNWR and I'm not sure of the reasoning the administration had in choosing to be ranked again. USNWR aside, Mayo ranks EASILY in top 10 if not top 5. There are many students both in my class and classes above who have turned down Harvard, Hopkins, and other Top 10's to come to Mayo.

In regards to the residency director surveys: Hmm these are done by USNWR, no surprise there. I often wonder how many quality residency directors throw those surveys right into the trash because they know what a joke USNWR is. Take a look at our match list and then make a judgement about how MMS is viewed by residencies.

Regarding last year's entering class: There are 4 of my classmates who have parents who are consultants here. That is less than 10% and in a quick glance of the 3 classes above me, the numbers are similar there as well. By no means do you have to "know people" to get accepted to Mayo. That is ridiculous and absurd. Yes, there is some legacy here but there is reason for it. Many of these legacy students have been raised in the Mayo culture and are prime candidates for continuing Mayo's care model and philosophies. However, by no means are these students suboptimal in comparison to the 'statistics' of the rest of the applicant pool and by no means are your chances hurt if you don't "know someone" at Mayo. "good 'ol boys club" "Still, it is widely known that you have to know people to get into Mayo." Please spare the SDN community of your ignorance!

I know plenty of people who are currently working at Mayo that are pretty much there because they knew people on the inside. As said, it's obviously different than the medical school. This is just what some people hold as the general consensus. Also, as I said, I was not sure of that statistic. It's just something I heard and I outright stated that. I never implied that students at Mayo are undeserving whatsoever. MMS is an amazing medical school for a reason. What is the rate of MMS students getting into Mayo residencies? If it's not very high, than that "legacy" stuff doesn't mean anything. How can Mayo's care model and philosophies be held up if they aren't at Mayo in the long-run?

In regards to the residency director surveys: Hmm these are done by USNWR, no surprise there. I often wonder how many quality residency directors throw those surveys right into the trash because they know what a joke USNWR is.
Take a look at our match list and then make a judgement about how MMS is viewed by residencies.

Can you please elaborate on both of the bolded points? I am currently in a massive thought tug-o-war between some of these schools and have them tied at dead even. I have to make a decision where to attend second look because they are on the same weekend.

In regards to residency, would attending Mayo make you a Midwestern for life of sorts? I saw many attendings there that went to MMS, then ended up staying through residency, and for the next 30+ years. Would matching back to the eastern seaboard at places like Harvard/Hopkins be harder coming from Mayo as opposed to attending those schools? I know MMS matches a majority of its students back to Mayo, but I am not sure I want to eventually set up shop there beyond med school when I have a family and such. Sorry for the confusing post, but I am thoroughly confused on how to decide and would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

I know plenty of people who are currently working at Mayo that are pretty much there because they knew people on the inside. As said, it's obviously different than the medical school. This is just what some people hold as the general consensus. Also, as I said, I was not sure of that statistic. It's just something I heard and I outright stated that. I never implied that students at Mayo are undeserving whatsoever. MMS is an amazing medical school for a reason. What is the rate of MMS students getting into Mayo residencies? If it's not very high, than that "legacy" stuff doesn't mean anything. How can Mayo's care model and philosophies be held up if they aren't at Mayo in the long-run?
19 people in the previous class matched at Mayo. They retain a lot of their class for sure.

I wonder how much of the pull over top 10 schools can be attributed to Mayo's low cost/student indebtedness.

I wonder how much of the pull over top 10 schools can be attributed to Mayo's low cost/student indebtedness.

This is a valid point. They offer 15k per year to any student accepted and sometimes more when private donors offer up money for the class. This makes tuition only 20k per year making it MUCH cheaper than other top 10 schools.

19 people in the previous class matched at Mayo. They retain a lot of their class for sure.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying! As to the tuition, it's ridiculous how cheap it is to attend Mayo. If memory serves me right, I think the average indebtness of leaving students is only like $60,000. I know I'd take that over a big-time private school where I could easily leave with >$200,000. I'm sure it's a MAJOR pull.

In regards to residency, would attending Mayo make you a Midwestern for life of sorts? I saw many attendings there that went to MMS, then ended up staying through residency, and for the next 30+ years.

My impression from working around the residents, and the current students can correct me if I'm wrong here, is that the people who wind up staying stay because they like it and like the culture and practice environment. Mayo does like to actively recruit it's own people that already embody the Mayo values. It's doesn't seem to be because they couldn't go elsewhere if they wanted to. I've talked to a few allied health staff and physicians that have left, and decided to come back because they missed it.

To add on to Wisco1's comment, just working here I can tell you that for every 1 person who knows someone at Mayo, works at Mayo, or who has a parent that's a consultant here that gets accepted to MMS there are probably 50 others that have those same supposed ins who don't get accepted. I'm not exaggerating much either. Mayo has over 30,000 employees. There are a lot of people here who think that coming here to work under a Mayo researcher, having a consultant parent, coming here to do a SURF, or whatever else will get them in the doorway to the med school here and for most that isn't the case. There are just too many of them and there are other criteria Mayo seems to definitely be looking for.

That said, just like anywhere else, all other things being equal having a really strong rec from someone the adcom members know and trust probably does carry a little more weight than a really strong rec from someone on the other side of the country they've never met before. In fairness, there was a student survey done on schools by the AAMC and some comments were made about legacy students by current Mayo students. So yeah, realistically there probably is a little bit of that going on, but there's also probably a lot of confirmation bias going on as well in reaching that conclusion. You know about that one guy who did research with that big cheese who got in when you didn't, but you don't know about those other 100 guys who did research with those other big cheeses who didn't get in.

Answers please :D

To add on to Wisco1's comment, just working here I can tell you that for every 1 person who knows someone at Mayo, works at Mayo, or who has a parent that's a consultant here that gets accepted to MMS there are probably 50 others that have those same supposed ins who don't get accepted. I'm not exaggerating much either. Mayo has over 30,000 employees. There are a lot of people here who think that coming here to work under a Mayo researcher, having a consultant parent, coming here to do a SURF, or whatever else will get them in the doorway to the med school here and for most that isn't the case. There are just too many of them and there are other criteria Mayo seems to definitely be looking for.

That said, just like anywhere else, all other things being equal having a really strong rec from someone the adcom members know and trust probably does carry a little more weight than a really strong rec from someone on the other side of the country they've never met before. In fairness, there was a student survey done on schools by the AAMC and some comments were made about legacy students by current Mayo students. So yeah, realistically there probably is a little bit of that going on, but there's also probably a lot of confirmation bias going on as well in reaching that conclusion. You know about that one guy who did research with that big cheese who got in when you didn't, but you don't know about those other 100 guys who did research with those other big cheeses who didn't get in.

I was pretty frustrated because one of the letters I sent them WAS from a Mayo P.I., and even though I have a very strong application, I still got the boot. It happens, but I was just disappointed. Best of luck to the rest of you though. Mayo is a wonderful place to be.

I was rejected about 2 weeks ago (post-LOR request, pre-interview). Just wanted to pop my head in to say good luck to the rest of you, and congrats to those who were accepted!

Hi everyone I.... A bunch of current students and some interviewees will be going to the Xmas tree lighting in peace plaza tonight at 6pm then dinner at Chesters at 7pm. I only have the contact info for people who requested a host so I wanted to let anyone else who might be in Rochester tonight know so you have the chance to meet some students! Let me know if you want any more details!

Good luck to everyone else, its a longggg process but totally worth it in the end. And if it makes anyone feel better, I came of of the waitlist here and even though it was hard to wait, I think in the end it made me more appreciative!

Hi everyone I.... A bunch of current students and some interviewees will be going to the Xmas tree lighting in peace plaza tonight at 6pm then dinner at Chesters at 7pm. I only have the contact info for people who requested a host so I wanted to let anyone else who might be in Rochester tonight know so you have the chance to meet some students! Let me know if you want any more details!

Good luck to everyone else, its a longggg process but totally worth it in the end. And if it makes anyone feel better, I came of of the waitlist here and even though it was hard to wait, I think in the end it made me more appreciative!

Darn I saw this too late!!!!!

I saw a group of people that looked like med students and interviewees! I was at the tree lighting and then went to Newts! Sorry I missed out!

I know there are some 3rd and 4th years lurking around.. I would love to see some of these questions answered.

Oh yeah, its Wednesday isn't it? I was getting a little too ahead of myself...

I think some people recieved calls 10/17 which was a monday. But hopefully this time around they are calling wednesday because I haven't heard anything yet...:scared:

If so, 10/17 would make sense, being that it was the first regular business day after the fabled "October 15th: officially release decisions" day (which was on a Saturday).

Nevertheless, obviously they can call at 2AM on a Sunday morning if they want -- nothing is set in stone. But, Weds has been the more common day thus far this cycle.

Haha I don't care when they call me...just as long as they call me :)

News tomorrow ahh (they said they would release decisions on 11/30 when i interviewed on 11/7)

Allo, folks! I'm late to the party, but just last night (12:37 AM, actually, Mountain Time) got an email inviting me to interview.

Which was pretty incredible.

But, I go into the booking system to try and snag a spot, but all I see is this. Nothing appears clickable! Am I just doing something stupidly wrong? Or does it mean there're no spots remaining? Why would they even send the invitation without spots?

I'll ask them directly in an hour or two, if I can't figure it out. Sigh. :/

Well maybe they're not releasing decisions today since they had thanksgiving break?

Status
Not open for further replies.