2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, last year I received the complete e-mail in the afternoon at 4:00pm

Haha so Mayo likes to mix it up wit afternoon and middle of the night emails...Just for added anxiety

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys

How long after amcas submission did you have to wait until your payment request came? I'm pushing 3 and a half weeks. I feel like they should at least let me pay them :)

i did not get a payment request until i was verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am verified and have gotten secondaries from other schools. I assumed I was a shoe-in to at least pay their fee.

Hopefully it's still coming. Applied 6/25

That is odd - everyone above a rough LizzyM score of 60 gets a fee request (GPA * 10 + MCAT).

I suppose you could call, but I assume they're just inundated with applications. Still, three weeks is a bit long to not even ask you for more money.

That is odd - everyone above a rough LizzyM score of 60 gets a fee request (GPA * 10 + MCAT).

I suppose you could call, but I assume they're just inundated with applications. Still, three weeks is a bit long to not even ask you for more money.

No. Everyone above a LizzyM of 1 gets a fee request.

EVERYONE gets the fee request

NOT EVERYONE gets the LOR request

EVERYONE gets the fee request

NOT EVERYONE gets the LOR request

No, not everyone gets the fee request. It's a minimum screen.

This was stated multiple times on the first page of last year's thread, and corroborated by someone at Mayo when he asked the Admissions office.

Please look if you do not believe me.

No, not everyone gets the fee request. It's a minimum screen.

This was stated multiple times on the first page of last year's thread, and corroborated by someone at Mayo when he asked the Admissions office.

Please look if you do not believe me.

My mistake then, I thought that screen was in reference to the LOR Request (ie. you needed that MCAT/GPA combination to get an LOR request)

No harm done :)

It's fine - it's a very minor point, a very low screen that weeds out relatively few candidates, and likely not the reason why people have not yet received fee requests.

I'm very curious about how many applications they've received so far. I bet that's why they're a bit behind now, especially considering that they started a little early.

how do they screen to see who gets LOR? i think i remember reading the personal statement isnt even read until after

Members don't see this ad :)
how do they screen to see who gets LOR? i think i remember reading the personal statement isnt even read until after

ECs, maybe Meaningful Experiences, but you are correct. They do not read the PS until they request the LORs.

Do they also screen to see who gets a LOR received email?

No idea, but I doubt it. GPA/MCAT might factor into who gets a LOR request, but from what I've gathered, it's mainly ECs.

I don't want to alarm you guys, but...

starwars-disturbance.jpg

I just felt a great disturbance in the force...

As if...hundreds of LOR received confirmations were just sent out and set to arrive in our inbox sometime today...

But what do I know, I'm just some old hermit living in the sand dunes

Got the rejection letter today : / Never got a LOR request which I feel is mainly on EC's since I had a high MCAT and high GPA. Good luck to the rest of you though! Hopefully my California schools will show me some love!

Got the rejection letter today : / Never got a LOR request which I feel is mainly on EC's since I had a high MCAT and high GPA. Good luck to the rest of you though! Hopefully my California schools will show me some love!

Sorry to hear the news...when was your fee received ??

i'm out. i think i'm the opposite. my grades were bad but good EC's. not that surprised.

Another one on the not-Mayo train! Reverse situation of the guy above me, not surprised either.

received rejection today. i dont even know why i applied to this low ranked p.o.s. with my high scores

Last edited:

starwars-disturbance.jpg

As if...hundreds of LOR received confirmations were just sent out and set to arrive in our inbox sometime today...

Lol...genius

Not selected either. Oh well, I have a lot of other great options.

35, 3.9

received rejection today. i dont even know why i applied to this low ranked p.o.s. with my 35Q and 3.9.

Unless you wish to come across as having done no research on Mayo, their admissions practices, or the biased ranking system used by USNWR, I suggest you control your comments. With that attitude I guess I'm glad they didn't give you time of day. I'm sure it shined through your application.

received rejection today. i dont even know why i applied to this low ranked p.o.s. with my 35Q and 3.9.

You do realize that as a doctor you would be dealing with and helping human beings. Is this something you're interested in?

Sorry about the news y'all. Are the decisions coming in by snail mail or email, by the way?

Sorry to hear about all the rejections :( Did you guys receive the rejections after the LOR request?

Sour grapes, much? :rolleyes:

Unless you wish to come across as having done no research on Mayo, their admissions practices, or the biased ranking system used by USNWR, I suggest you control your comments. With that attitude I guess I'm glad they didn't give you time of day. I'm sure it shined through your application.

Wisco! I'm glad some Mayo students (or at least one) are dropping by this year. Last year there were several frequent posters who gave wonderful insights - I hope you and all of them are doing well.

Sorry to hear about all of the rejections. :(

But did anyone who got the LOR request on the first day hear back in the form of a complete email?

*sigh* got a rejection email at 2:00AM. I also had a >3.9 and a 35MCAT. $100 bucks down the tube. good luck to everyone else though. someone's gonna get in here.

no go for me..3.95 biochem, 36S MCAT, varsity athlete at U of Mich, Researcher AT Mayo, grandpa was a Doc here for 30+ years. : /

no go for me..3.95 biochem, 36S MCAT, varsity athlete at U of Mich, Researcher AT Mayo, grandpa was a Doc here for 30+ years. : /

lol...ok now don't feel so bad. That's pretty harsh.

starwars-disturbance.jpg

The Force is strong with this one, except that they were rejections, not complete emails.

You do realize that as a doctor you would be dealing with and helping human beings. Is this something you're interested in?

Don't bother, this kid is one of the biggest trolls (intentional or not) on SDN

That's crazy! Impossible to know what they are looking for :confused:

:eek: Did you happen to write "i'd never go to mayo, ever" in your PS? Because if not, that's crazy!

I'm hoping that your personal statement was just a long string of profanities.

I'm just super humbled by all these people with very strong stats not receiving LOR requests, you guys know you'll do splendidly this cycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.