2011-2012 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl: I want to say something, but it is as controversial as the concept of class warfare...so I'll keep my mouth shut....even though we're all thinking it. :rolleyes:
From what I have heard from people who interview here, the amount of whites are equal and sometimes higher than blacks. It is just that many whites who apply use this as a "safety school." so that they decline their acceptances to attend more prestigious schools leaving mostly African Americans to actually attend the school. Just my opinion. Lets try to be positive now!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Gives side eye.:mad:
Cracks knuckles.:mad::mad:
Contemplates responding...:cool:
Shakes head and walks away.:p

I live in College Park. When do you fly out?

sorry it took me so long to respond busy at work....i leave on the 9th at 6:30am from BWI, Layover in ATL and arrive in TN at 9:40. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I will also be interviewing next Monday. Does anyone who is staying at the Millenium Maxwell House want to check out the area together? Please drop me a line.

So I got the complete email Aug 31st and haven't heard anything since....still too early to worry or no? Thoughts on sending a letter of interest? Meharry is definitely where I dream of going..any advice would be appreciated!

Complete August 15th, received an invite today around 1 PM, OOS and stats are GPA < 3.5 and MCAT 29 N (12 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS). Good luck to everyone else hang in there!

sorry it took me so long to respond busy at work....i leave on the 9th at 6:30am from BWI, Layover in ATL and arrive in TN at 9:40. What about you?

No worries. I leave at 6:00 from BWI and go through Detroit, My return flight is the one that flies back through ATL. I think I will be there by 9:20.

Not sure what I will be doing all day that day, but I will be staying with one of the students at the school, so we'll see. I guess if I don't see you before Monday morning. I'll be in a Navy Blue Pant suit. :) :luck:
:thumbup:

No worries. I leave at 6:00 from BWI and go through Detroit, My return flight is the one that flies back through ATL. I think I will be there by 9:20.

Not sure what I will be doing all day that day, but I will be staying with one of the students at the school, so we'll see. I guess if I don't see you before Monday morning. I'll be in a Navy Blue Pant suit. :) :luck:
:thumbup:

oh ok you're on the us airways flight...that was too early for me lol. we will be staying at the mellenium maxewell house i believe it is. send me a pm with your info or just shoot me a line when you get there, if i dont see you good luck!!!:)

Hey!

I will also be interviewing next Monday. Does anyone who is staying at the Millenium Maxwell House want to check out the area together? Please drop me a line.

i'm staying there. my mom and i were going to do that as well. send me your info and we might be able to go together. :)

So I actually ended up arranging to stay with a student host. But good luck all, see you at MMC

Does anyone know what the interviews are like here? is it open or closed? faculty or medical school students?

Complete August 15th, received an invite today around 1 PM, OOS and stats are GPA < 3.5 and MCAT 29 N (12 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS). Good luck to everyone else hang in there!

Congrats!!! I'm a bit late in the cycle (late MCAT, full time job) but I hope to complete this secondary tomorrow. I love the updates and please tell us your impressions of the school/interview! :D

I loved it. The school is wonderful. The people are friendly and caring. There is a true family feel.

The interview was not as stressful as I expected it to be. It did not go as I rehearsed, and was more relaxed.

The questions were what you would normally expect, why medicine, why meharry, tell me about yourself and the like. They really want to see your enthusiasm for the school and that you want to go there.

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone...congrats on the interviews...does anyone know how this school views multiple MCAT scores? best subsection? best sitting? thanks!

Just sent my secondary yesterday.... I'm a little worried. I have solid grades (over a 3.6) but my MCAT score is very low. I'm a father of two and worked full time during my post-bac work. God willing I get an interview.

The interview was great! They really want you to get to know Meharry, the legacy and the mission. They want you to be at their school for the right reasons and that is to help the underserved. The students were very nice and everyone was just great to be around. The people of Nashville were even very nice! Overall, they made me feel like it was just a conversation. Good luck to everyone who interviewed with me on Monday and for those to come!

Just got the email saying my app was placed on hold for receiving an interview :(

ugh me too :( called the admissions office to ask what on hold meant and was told the adcom was in a meeting and to call back after 4:30 or tomorrow...is on hold a nice way of saying rejected?

Hold e-mail too this afternoon :( It's just further evidence to me you really can't predict what's going to happen in the medical school admissions process.

Would somebody on hold be nice enough to share their stats? I didn't get anything so far at all which I guess is even worse than hold :(

Im on hold and my stats are as follows:
complete email aug 29th
GPA 3.41
Grad GPA 3.7
MCAT 29
im OOS

I guess today is an on-hold day for everyone. got the email today too. Does anybody know what chance is after placed on hold? :(

Any other late applicants?

I submitted my secondary on 9/15 and received the complete email on 10/10.

How long before I can expect to hear something back? (estimate of course)

Hello all

I received an interview invite for this school on Oct 6th! yaaayy! However, the date they gave me (oct. 17th) did not work with my schedule so i replied to the email and told them I would prefer something in mid November. They have not responded to that email.
Should I call the office and confirm they received my reply email? OR should I wait until they find a new date for me? I was thinking that they might not have their November interview dates set up yet so I was thinking about waiting another week or so before calling them.

thanks

I guess today is an on-hold day for everyone. got the email today too. Does anybody know what chance is after placed on hold? :(

I don't know but looking at last years thread it seems as though they didn't send too many on hold emails out so weird that they sent so many this time...

Hello all

I received an interview invite for this school on Oct 6th! yaaayy! However, the date they gave me (oct. 17th) did not work with my schedule so i replied to the email and told them I would prefer something in mid November. They have not responded to that email.
Should I call the office and confirm they received my reply email? OR should I wait until they find a new date for me? I was thinking that they might not have their November interview dates set up yet so I was thinking about waiting another week or so before calling them.

thanks
I would call them to be sure, especially since Oct 17th is in a few days.

This school is very historic and the hospital on site is pretty cool... I wish my interview gets me in... Its been 3 days and I can't wait anymore...

This school is very historic and the hospital on site is pretty cool... I wish my interview gets me in... Its been 3 days and I can't wait anymore...

Tell me about it. I got a call from an unknown number today and I almost freaked out haha, although it has only been 3 days and it's impossible to hear back now.

I really hope I get in, along with everyone that interviewed that day. Best of luck to everyone.

Interview invite for Nov. 7!! really excited about this school. good luck everyone!

Interview invite for Nov. 7!! really excited about this school. good luck everyone!

November 14 for me, but I already have interviews in Philly on 11/16 and 11/18, so I rescheduled for 12/5. They were very quick. OOS, complete 9/26, so a very reasonable turnaround time, I think.

November 14 for me, but I already have interviews in Philly on 11/16 and 11/18, so I rescheduled for 12/5. They were very quick. OOS, complete 9/26, so a very reasonable turnaround time, I think.

Also, is there a student host program of any sort? The e-mail I got didn't mention one, but I thought I should check here just in case.

Also, is there a student host program of any sort? The e-mail I got didn't mention one, but I thought I should check here just in case.

Ehhhhhhhh never mind. I just booked the hotel. $71 is just fine. Just make sure you call the hotel itself and ask for the lowest rate. The "special medical student rate" isn't their lowest. Nor is the price on hotels.com.

If anyone else is interviewing December 5th, feel free to pm for room share.

twobits said:

Awesome! Twobits, if you don't mind answering, when were you complete?

Awesome! Twobits, if you don't mind answering, when were you complete?

I was complete as of 09/20. Pretty quick response... Has anyone heard about any student hosts program at mmc? Also, any hotel suggestions? Thanks

Did you guys receive a "complete" e-mail from Meharry, or when your payment is no longer pending is that considered "complete"?

My data-obsessed heart is curious. Thanks!

You should receive a complete email, saying that your AMCAS, letters of recommendation and secondary have been received and that your info is being sent to the adcom for interview consideration. Hope this helps.

Did you guys receive a "complete" e-mail from Meharry, or when your payment is no longer pending is that considered "complete"?

My data-obsessed heart is curious. Thanks!

Question. Can Meharry see the secondary that I sent to Morehouse?

Cause I literally just changed all the "Meharry's" to "Morehouse's" and submitted it.

Probably not...but I don't see how you wrote the same thing for both, unless your essay was pretty generic.

Question. Can Meharry see the secondary that I sent to Morehouse?

Cause I literally just changed all the "Meharry's" to "Morehouse's" and submitted it.

Lolz, I think you're in the clear. :laugh: I've heard that ad coms are busy too busy dealing with LoRs, secondary processsing, interviews, committee meetings, etc. to compare notes on student essays.

Sweet! Don't want to get caught with my pants down. :ninja: I noticed that they used the same system. So I grew a little suspicious.

And yes, they are very general essays. It sounds something like this:
"I grew up in an undeserved community, so I want to work in one...and help the poor."

But it sounded a lil more refined and eloquent because I just finished the "Hooked on Monkey Phonics" tapes.

HonP+monkey.JPG

My secondary was verified on Monday. Does any one know how they deal with incomplete amcas transcript grades? In other words, when I applied I was finishing both orgo 1 and phy 2. I am currently in orgo 2.

received the complete email on the 11th, just waiting for a response now

finally got my complete e-mail today. love how they basically say not to bother them for 6 weeks haha. how long was it between complete e-mail and interview request for most of you??

good luck to everyone, especially those playing the waiting game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.